PDA

View Full Version : Rant about your hair regrets here!

ExpectoPatronum
July 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
We all have things we regret doing to our hair that we're (maybe) trying to grow out now. Growing out mistakes is a painfully long and frustrating process, so I thought we needed a place to vent these frustrations so that maybe we won't make the same mistakes twice? It also makes me feel better when I can rant. :)

I reallyyyyy regret cutting layers into my hair a few months ago. Because of the layers, my BSL hair doesn't look very long at all. To make matters worse, I have fairly wavy hair so the part where I cut layers waves up so much more than the rest of my hair, giving my hair this weird shape and making it look even shorter. The layers also give my braids a very extreme taper that wouldn't be there otherwise as I have fairly thick hair. My shortest layer is maybe half an inch to an inch away from being SL and I hate it. I miss my one length hair and if I didn't want to have to start over again, I'd cut all my hair to SL and go from there. So, I'm settling for trimming half an inch every three months regardless if my hair really needs it just so I can get those damn layers out. I cut to one layer my last trim and it made me so happy. If my growth rate stays the same (roughly an inch a month), I should have all the layers gone in one to two years. It's sad how it can take years to grow out a few moments of being impulsive.

Who knows, maybe I'll like the layers once they grow longer. I did like long layers in the past so there's hope I might like them in the future at least.

grungy haze
July 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I really regret my years of chemically abusing my hair. I've had every hair color under the sun, and for years I enjoyed changing things up. Then I decided to go black, and I absolutely hated it. Long story short, I now have bleach damaged hair from going back to blond. It isn't falling out, or breaking off, but the splits get bad, and it's so much more delicate then it used to be. It's also pretty thin. I too, have many many layers, even though my hair is at the shaggy length stage, it's frustrating, as it seems to make the damage look more obvious. My old hair dresser did it when I asked for a trim, and it's been very frustrating. I'm babying my hair now, and with time and trims I hope to have my virgin hair at shoulder length.

panffle
July 19th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I regret cutting layers into my hair... I was trying to grow them out and did it without thinking twice. sigh...
also regret using chemical dye. I liked it, but in the end my healthy natural hair is what I like best.

battles
July 19th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Henna and attempting to self trim bangs.

I basically have to grow out a new head of hair because of my stupidity.

3 Cat Night
July 19th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Having cut short recently after I had started to grow it out. I got frustrated and gave in to the urge to cut when I shouldn't have. It was dumb.

Skade
July 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I really regret my years of chemically abusing my hair. I've had every hair color under the sun, and for years I enjoyed changing things up. Then I decided to go black, and I absolutely hated it. Long story short, I now have bleach damaged hair from going back to blond. It isn't falling out, or breaking off, but the splits get bad, and it's so much more delicate then it used to be. It's also pretty thin. I too, have many many layers, even though my hair is at the shaggy length stage, it's frustrating, as it seems to make the damage look more obvious. My old hair dresser did it when I asked for a trim, and it's been very frustrating. I'm babying my hair now, and with time and trims I hope to have my virgin hair at shoulder length.

I also regret chemically abusing my hair. Mostly I regret bleaching it for so long. if I hadn't my hair would probably be a lot healthier.

spidermom
July 19th, 2013, 01:20 PM
It was perming my hair 2 years in a row. My new growth looked weird with the permed length, so I asked my stylist about doing a root perm, but she said that usually doesn't work very well, so she re-permed the whole thing, and my hair broke off in handfuls every time I tried to do anything with it. I ended up getting a short pixie, which is great when you want one, but I didn't.

Oh, and one year I got a short haircut during a heat wave. My hair felt so hot and heavy on my head even when I wore it up, and I snapped one day and got it cut. Then I couldn't get it off my neck at all. To make matter worse, we had a gigantic thunderstorm about 7-10 days after the cut, and the heat wave was over. I regretted that hair cut SOOOOOOO much.

HintOfMint
July 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I regret abusing my hair with massive amounts of heat styling which resulted in the great chop of 2008 (BSL/waist to above shoulder). That was an unnecessary growing-out process that could have been avoided.
I half-regret having short hair after I graduated high school though. On one hand, it was an awesome punkish/emo cut that was a ton of fun. On the other hand, I had just left my awkward stage but I was still wearing a short haircut that didn't suit me, so I didn't realize that I had some elements of conventional attractiveness until my hair grew out. Then again, conventional attractiveness isn't the most worthy goal. So... *shrugs* no huge regret there.

PJolie
July 19th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I regret perming my hair several years ago, my mom convinced me to do it, and I fell for it :/. My hair got really damaged, barely grew, and on top of that lots of breakage. 3 years ago I cut it all of. I've been growing it since, and trimming it every 4 month till this year that I decided not to trim and see what happens. So far 6 month without trimming, and my hair is the longest it ever been! Love it :)

Aelith
July 19th, 2013, 01:36 PM
My regret is old, but I cut all my hair off six months after my daughter was born in 2011. I was feeling fat, dumpy and old and wanted to do something to fix myself up. It was a complete and utter disaster. My hair was probably in the 22 - 24 inch range and I had it cut into a pixie. Not the best look when you're 40 lbs over your ideal weight (and 20 lbs overweight), not to mention the cut sucked. I'm still scarred by it. My hair's now at 22 inches and growing and I feel better about it, but I'm scared to even get a trim.

kitschy
July 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Using sun-in and/or lemon juice to lighten my hair color when I was a teen. It turned my hair into straw!

amanda_the_tall
July 19th, 2013, 01:45 PM
HENNA. Well, Rainbow dark brown, to be precise. I had read so many reviews saying it didn't change their hair color much, so I figured since I naturally have light/medium brown hair, it would just make it slightly darker. Plus I didn't leave it on for the full recommended amount. Apparently the last 3 inches or so of my hair is way more porous than the rest from chemical dyes from years ago, so the bottom part of my hair is darkest brown, almost black in indoor lighting, while the rest is just a shade darker than my natural color. So basically instead of blending everything, it just made my copper-washed out ends more noticeable. Now I have to start all over, which worries me slightly because my cousin's wedding is in a few months, and I plan on getting married within the next few years and my hair probably won't grow fast enough to get all of it out before then. :/ LESSON LEARNED.

Brileeka
July 19th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I regret using sun in in my hair. It completely fried the canopy of my hair. I haven't used it in a few years. The part that had sun in on it is very dry brittle and splits easy. My hair is very close to bcl and I had cut most of the damaged parts of my hair off. So the shortest parts of my hair are about bsl so my hair is basically layered I'm not really sure what it's considered. The parts of my hair that are damaged are the shortest parts of my hair while my longest hairs are virgin and very healthy. So I can't wait until my hair is all even and virgin. I've thought about cutting my hair in one chop to even in all out but I figure my ends are healthy so why chop them if there is there is nothing wrong with them. :rant:

Wildcat Diva
July 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I don't have any huge regrets. I do wish I would have recognized how to take care of my wavy texture sooner and not fallen into the flat iron club, for years. I quit flat ironing about 15 months ago, and just started growing out from shoulder last year. That flat iron damage is now just probably on the last few inches of my ends though at this point, so eventually that damage will come off when I decide to trim in a year or two. Also, I wish I had used a hat or other sun protection more often so that my ends were not so much lighter then the rest of my hair (which I do know is somewhat normal for many of us who venture outside into the sun!) I hate to think of that as not just lighter hair, but also damage!

jillosity
July 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Using henndigo to get black hair. I wish I'd just used manic panic or even box dye.

HairFaerie
July 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I regret cutting my hair into a pixie each year for the last three years. If I would have just let it grow three years ago, it would be nearly waist by now! :cry:

PetuniaBlossom
July 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM
As someone who's made quite a few hair mistakes (cutting off over 15", and donating it to Locks of Love believing it would be used in a good way, a perm that fried my poor hair, a rigorous chemical straightening that was an unmitigated disaster, a pixie that just didn't want to grow out, etc.) - I notice how many of us on this forum have learned some good lessons. I'm so grateful for all the advice and wisdom on LHC, and especially how generous people are in sharing their experiences.
The list of hair do's and don't's is different for each of us. And yet, one thing that seems to be common to many is this: If you cut quite a bit of your length, you'll PROBABLY regret it pretty soon. (I put the word in caps because I'm not looking to start an argument here by someone saying they did a big chop and never regretted it, etc.)
So every time someone starts a thread asking if they should cut their hair, cut layers, or the like, I have to wonder how long afterwards they'll start one that says now they're waiting impatiently for it to grow out. So that's another reason to invoke the two-week (or two-month) rule when contemplating a chop.

:cheese:

chen bao jun
July 19th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I possibly regret that I was too scared to try conditioner only washing when I first heard of it, about ten years ago (when I read Lorraine Massie's book 'Curly Girl'). But on the other hand, my fried hair (from heavy sulfate shampoo use and very hot water to wash in) was kind of fun--I had a very interesting looking 'braid out' hairstyle which was funky and youthful in appearance. With CO washing, my hair won't do that anymore since the condition is so much better that it won't stick out in all directions like it used to.

I don't know that I really regret anything I've done to my hair, from my huge 70's afro (which required 80 or so brown paper curlers every night) to my permanent straightening that I kept up for 20 years, to the time I had it all braided into teensy tiny braids with beads at the ends, to--well, you get the point. All of it was fun at the time. The only hairstyle I really couldn't stand was this pixie cut I got after I was married that made my face look like a watermelon, but if I hadn't done that, I might still be curious now about how I'd look in really short hair. Now I'm curious about how I'd look with really long hair--maybe in ten years I'll have moved on from that, too? Anyway, only time will tell. Meanwhile, right now I'm having fun.

silvertongue
July 19th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I don't regret bleaching and dying my hair every color of the rainbow, because that was smashing fun and made me feel like myself. I do, however, regret my history of daily washing and heat styling - I'm paying for that now! But even growing out my old damage is fun too, since it gives me something to look forward to. I get excited over the smallest progressions. If I magically had my goal hair right now, I'm not even sure what I would do. Stare in the mirror and congratulate myself? :p

Poot
July 19th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I regret coloring my hair when I was young as it has thinned it out a lot.

sarahthegemini
July 19th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I really regret not taking proper care of my hair til recently.

Komao
July 19th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I regret trying to trim my hair. I have done it other times successfully but never feel real confident about it.
Well, my hair was just beginning to feel real long and I was due for a trim. It was so exciting, my growth and then my husband tried to straighten it out.
In the end it was only an inch or so off length, it's just that it did not need anything but a dusting. It was over a month ago, now and it's grown but I'm so anxious to get it WL. Almost there. I have tried Feyes trimming method and others. I'm just not good at it.
I have no idea if this is a good way to trim hair but I bend over brushing it smoothly and then just take a dusting.
My hair is slightly curly and doing it this way it looks good and if it's not perfect, you can't tell due to curls. I think I will just stick to that method. Tell me what you think of trimming it this way. I appreciate it:eek:

alexis917
July 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I had red hair, bleached hair, then brown hair, then black hair freshman year in like a six month period.
I finally have healthy hair now....and after this summer, it'll be JUNIOR year!

seamonster
July 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I regret cutting my hair off a year ago. I suffer from alopecia areata so my hair can be really thin at times. I cut it all off to make it look thicker, and it looked thick, but it was short, while I want long hair. Now a year later it has grown alot, but it is still thin. The short hair was a pain; I couldn't get my hair into an easy updo. I am still not quite long enough for two braids, and an english braid is out of the question. My short thick hair thinned out as it got longer, so I feel like I wasted my time cutting it.

cmdinoto
July 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I have had several regrets with my hair. The first regret was going from BSL to my chin. I was in 6th grade and it was awful. I actually cried when she was cutting my hair. I knew I made the wrong choice right away. My friends all asked me, "Why did you cut your pretty hair?" Then I would start crying again. Then maybe a year or two later my hair has grown out quite a bit. It seemed like forever. I would measure it daily and keep a chart on the growing process. I was obsessed with getting my hair longer. Well anyway at this point I was again frustrated with my hair. I decided to get a perm. They told me it would last a couple of months. So I got the perm and it was nice for the first three months. I noticed my hair was really dry and a lot more split ends. I was upset to find out that the curls that are permed will not come out they must be cut out. So again I kept cutting my hair short. Eventually I cut all the perm away and started growing my hair out. Finally I was at a nice length. I would get occasional haircuts. The next thing I regret was using Sun-In in my later years of highs school. It made my hair look orange. My husband said when he first met me that he thought I was a red head. Well, the Sun-In really damaged my hair. My hair was brittle and dry. Then I just started to grow out my hair again, this time without cutting the sun-in hair away. Now I really love my hair. It is highlighted blonde but very healthy. That's my rant :eek:

Synnovea
July 19th, 2013, 09:03 PM
While I've abused my hair in many ways, the one that trumps the rest is the Brazilian straightening treatment. Not only has this process become controversial due to deadly ingredients, but it's completely restructured my hair's texture (what did I think would happen?). At first I loved how sleek and straight it made my hair, but now I long for its natural texture. Also, I'm suspicious that it thinned my hair considerably since I've done it several times. Never again.

neko_kawaii
July 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
I regret I don't have any decent pictures of my hair when it was shaved/growing in and when it was dyed orange. All the pics I have from those times are blurry or distant. Argh!

artemishunt
July 19th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I regret cutting myself a fringe and then deciding to try the curly girl method approximately 2 weeks later. I now have crazy, wavy out of control bangs.

PraiseCheeses
July 19th, 2013, 10:27 PM
My regrets are conflicting. :lol: On one hand, I regret getting into the grow-layer-chop cycle from 17 - 26 (and especially that chin-length bob at 20 that couldn't be tied back) when I knew I really wanted long hair, but on the other hand I regret never going shorter than chin, never experimenting with colors other than Sun-In and blonde dyes, and never trying out any trendy styles or shaving my head. (I should have rebelled more in general as a teenager.... :p) Now I'm committed to long, healthy virgin hair and don't dare to cut or dye, even though henna's siren song is rather persistent.

dancingrain91
July 19th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I regret chopping my hair to just above my shoulders to please a boyfriend I broke up with the next year and letting my roomate bleach highlights into my hair a year and a half ago.

CurlMonster
July 19th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Part of me really regrets bleaching and dying my hair because it's such a pain to grow out the damage now. But part of me is glad I did it so that I know I prefer my natural hair colour and that the colour isn't worth the damage done by the dyes.

I do 100% regret heat styling my hair and cutting in layers though. The layers just make my braids spiky and tapered and make the ends of my hair look thin and scraggly. Also, the heat styling just stopped me from embracing my natural curls. I really like my natural texture these days, it makes me sad to think that for so long I fried my hair trying to get rid of it!

heathen
July 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I don't intensely regret dying my hair black with henna and indigo... But, my current goal is to have classic length, virgin hair.... Considering I have about a foot til classic and about 20+inches of hennindigo to grow out......Yeah, That's gonna take a looooooooooooong time... and it wasn't the best idea I ever had. I feel like I might break down and hennindigo the whole thing again out of desperation. But, then I'll really hate myself.

So, like 5 or 6 years? Sheeesh. Guess, I better get settled in for the ride.

It's good to know we are all in it together with messing with our hair. And it's cool how we all come here seeking a sort of rehabilitation for our hair!

Always makes me think there are really messed up standards for what is "good hair" anymore.

Rebecka
July 20th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Bleach bleach bleach. I didn't realize it was oils that made my hair darker, I just thought it wasn't bleached enough. But whatever, ruining my hair made me want to grow it out, so it had something good too :P

But bulimia is probably still worse, it ate my hair.

kitekats
July 20th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I regret dying my hair black, because if I hadn't done that by now it would be gorgeous thicker classic length dark blonde locks:(, as it turns out to be my natural hair color:confused: (which years ago before I started dying was light brown).

icallitbliss
July 20th, 2013, 02:12 AM
I regret bleaching and dyeing my hair. As well as the flat iron. And horrible layers. I just gotta be patient so I can outgrow my mistakes. It's tough, cause I feel like it's gonna take me till I'm 30 to have BSL all natural hair. (almost 27 now) urgggghhhh.

jacqueline101
July 20th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Heated appliances, perming, and dying.

ladyfey
July 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Bleaching and dyeing. I came of age in the '80s and did the heavy, heavy makeup and harsh hair. It didn't suit my personality at all and it took me a long time to slowly get rid of that look!

MonaMayfair
July 20th, 2013, 06:32 AM
The only regret I have is using henna, and not taking the opportunity to start growing it out when I had my hair cut short.

goldenlady
July 20th, 2013, 02:33 PM
So many regrets!

Whilst I was at school it was really fashionable to have very layered ultra straight hair with side fringes/bangs. I'm still growing this old style out now!! and the straightening! I used to go home during my lunch hour and re-straighten my hair!

Also about 2/3 years ago I was a hair model for a cousin of my best friend and it got permed to death. I remember smothering it in coconut oil every night because bits kept dropping out! Arghh

BrightEyes
July 20th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Chopping, chopping and even more chopping!!! Ugh!!!

When I joined here over 3 years ago, my hair was between shoulder length and APL. But I got frustrated with it and cut it to chin length. Since then I haven't been able to get past shoulder length without impulsively chopping (why is it once my hair starts getting any length, I begin seeing bobs everywhere and wanting one??). If I had never cut, my hair would be at waist length now or close to.

I'm at shoulder length now and am so determined not to chop. I'm practicing benign neglect, trying to put it up and forget about it. I'm hoping for a growth spurt.

honeybunnie8
July 20th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Cutting my probably waist length hair to APL after my son was born. I would probably have TBL or more now instead of just WL. Though I did cut it because I found one of my hairs tightly wrapped around his finger starting to cut of circulation.

akilina
July 21st, 2013, 01:22 AM
Oh gosh if I want to get real serious I'd say I regret ever dyeing my hair 9 years ago!! I have not stopped since.
I regret all my hair frying and past chopping. Now, I regret not going dye free a year ago now. At this point it would be 6 to 7 inches of virgin hair and I'm mad with myself that I couldn't just stick with it.

Most recently I fried my hair to go purple but i adore having all purple hair. It's beautiful but I did get some damage. My hair is much better from when I first bleached but it was so much unnecessary damage and I could have 2 to 3 inches more of actually healthy incredibly soft hair. Sigh. Can't erase the past but I'm working on getting my hair back to health :) it's just the ends that are kind of damaged and it's come very far compared to when I first did it 3 months ago.

Tini'sNewHair
July 21st, 2013, 01:35 AM
I just wish i knew myself and what i wanted years back when my hair was so long and beautiful but instead i thought of experimenting for years and years, everything i tried i hated it! I'm just glad that my hair is now at a better length but i cant wait to have it all the way down my back - i miss feeling feminine again :')

kittenface
July 21st, 2013, 03:24 AM
In general my response to bad things I've done to my hair in the past is "eh, it was a learning experience", but I DO really regret that I couldn't see that my hair was beautiful just the way it was. I felt really bad about my hair for no reason :/

MaryMarx
July 21st, 2013, 03:33 AM
I regret all the heat in form of flat ironing. I regret it so much! I ironed, ironed, ironed, with no protection, every day. :(
I regret all the cuts I "had to" do because my hair "just wouldn't grow", yeah right, I wonder why... I would have been WL years ago. Damn it. :p

jel
July 21st, 2013, 03:53 AM
I don't intensely regret dying my hair black with henna and indigo... But, my current goal is to have classic length, virgin hair.... Considering I have about a foot til classic and about 20+inches of hennindigo to grow out......Yeah, That's gonna take a looooooooooooong time... and it wasn't the best idea I ever had. I feel like I might break down and hennindigo the whole thing again out of desperation. But, then I'll really hate myself.

So, like 5 or 6 years? Sheeesh. Guess, I better get settled in for the ride.

That is exactly how I feel! I absolutely do *not* regret being a hennahead for a number of years; but now I want my hair to be virgin at BCL/TBL, and there's still about 3-4 years to go...

I'm not tempted to henna or colour again; but sometimes I think about cutting back to APL to chop off most of the old orange. And that scares me! I'd much rather live with 2-tone hair then go shorter than waist. Actually, by now it looks like it's been dipped on purpose, apparently... ;)

butterfly_dream
July 21st, 2013, 04:43 AM
I regret my hime cut I did last year (cheek-length sidelocks and frontal fringe).
It was really nice, I like Anime-style… but in Summer I became crazy with all this hair on my face.
So that now the fringe is a little past my chin and the rest of my hair is almost at tailbone. :-(
Well, I feel me better when I can rant.

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 21st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Bleaching my hair for years then dying my whole head of hair (including ends!) bi-monthly. Oh, dear. If I'd only coloured my roots once a month like I'm doing now and never even gone near bleach then I wouldn't have half the amount of splits that I get now.

H.e.L
July 21st, 2013, 05:28 PM
I regret that short pixie cut I got a couple years ago "just for a change." I'm still growing out the weird layers. :justy:

Simple
July 21st, 2013, 06:14 PM
I regret neglecting my hair for years, I had no hair routine, I used to shampoo everyday or every other day with no oiling, nothing.. I wasn't good to my hair and I know it. I had to do something because female androgenic alopecia runs in the family and no one can do anything about it. Using CV shampoo bars saved me big time, and scalp massages with jojoba and essential oils keeps my scalp alive.. I now have healthy looking hair, and I am really happy with the results.. It's never too late to care for your tresses.. :)

Chiara
July 21st, 2013, 07:01 PM
In general my response to bad things I've done to my hair in the past is "eh, it was a learning experience", but I DO really regret that I couldn't see that my hair was beautiful just the way it was. I felt really bad about my hair for no reason :/

This! I have finally got to the stage where I can appreciate what I have and not always focus on 'skin problems', 'hair problems'... I wish I'd got to that stage earlier.

door72067
July 21st, 2013, 07:14 PM
using Color Oops to attempt to remove Natural Instincts saturation on my ends

it didn't work and ended up lightening the 4" near the roots because that hair wasn't saturated

I have funny orangish spots now in the middle of my length from it

vampyyri
July 17th, 2016, 09:52 AM
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/brunette_zpsnsmnbrqa.jpg

This is my regret, ever dying my hair brunette... This photo was from 2012, and I had it brunette all the way from 2009. I would do my roots every three weeks, and then dye over the entire thing every other month. With all of the layers of dye, it took two bleachings to in one day for it to go back to an "acceptable" blonde color... the first bleaching turned my hair bright orange (and not the attractive henna orange), then they soap cap bleached it again, and put a toner over it... I had to go back once a month to get the toner re-done, because it was so terribly brassy. I eventually gave up on toning it three months in and lived with it.

I grew it out, and kept chopping off the damage in 3-4 increments once I reached MBL. I'm using this as my motivation to not cave into the henna temptation, as much as I love henna red, I waited so long to have my natural color back so I just can't do it!

xpeacelovekoala
July 17th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Getting my hair lightened to blonde was the worst thing I've ever done.
I had red BSL hair and I wanted it to be blonde, the first time I did it, it looked really nice- a little dry... but nice.

Then the next time I went in for a touch up, my hair was completely fried. It's taken about 6 months to just trim off the damaged and fried ends. It's finally chopped up to shoulder length and healthy at this point. Now I'm just working on growing out the layers I had to cut into it to remove damage, which aren't the prettiest, but at least they'll grow now.

That was a terrible idea, one that I'll never have again... hopefully my hair will grow to a healthy (almost) APL by Christmas.

lapushka
July 17th, 2016, 03:52 PM
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/brunette_zpsnsmnbrqa.jpg

This is my regret, ever dying my hair brunette... This photo was from 2012, and I had it brunette all the way from 2009. I would do my roots every three weeks, and then dye over the entire thing every other month. With all of the layers of dye, it took two bleachings to in one day for it to go back to an "acceptable" blonde color... the first bleaching turned my hair bright orange (and not the attractive henna orange), then they soap cap bleached it again, and put a toner over it... I had to go back once a month to get the toner re-done, because it was so terribly brassy. I eventually gave up on toning it three months in and lived with it.

I grew it out, and kept chopping off the damage in 3-4 increments once I reached MBL. I'm using this as my motivation to not cave into the henna temptation, as much as I love henna red, I waited so long to have my natural color back so I just can't do it!

It's very pretty! Buuut... I kind of favor the blonde on you much more because that's *you*, you know. I don't think we've known you here with another hair color. :flower: That's just personal preference, I guess. :) If you don't mind me expressing that. :o

But red/brunette is a pretty color too, don't get me wrong! :)

HairPlease
July 17th, 2016, 05:17 PM
My worst hair regret? Bleaching my gray/dishwater hair to platinum blonde all the time. I stopped several months ago and dyed the ends using Ion Titanium to blend my roots with my ends and will not be bleaching anymore if I can help it.

Imoness
July 17th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Coloring! I went through a several year phase of coloring my hair red. I've since given up on that and tried coloring it back to brown. Unfortunately, the brown doesn't match my natural color. yikes

georgia_peach
July 17th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure yet if I feel regret about my new layers and fringe/bangs.

LongCurlyTress
July 18th, 2016, 07:45 AM
My length reached TBL and I have been maintaining since last December, 2015 to trim out layers and a thin, pointy hemline. I got bored and the beginning of June, cut some thin (1/2 inch into the hairline) fringe/bangs. My bangs had already grown out to cleavage length (lol) in front so they were BBB brushed back into buns, etc. But I got bored and looked at pics of LHer's with bangs, Tatyana Pismennaya, Andrea Colson, Jane Seymour, etc. and decided to just cut some thin fringe that I could brush back into my scalp hair in a bun if I didn't like them. Well... unless I use spray and have a resulting helmet head, or use a bobby pin, ugh... I will be regretting this bang decision for at least a year from now until they brush back into a lwb without spray or bobby pins. GAAAH! I have been around this block before but never have I learned my lesson! Well, I have now!! GAHHHHH!! :horse:

HairPlease
July 18th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure yet if I feel regret about my new layers and fringe/bangs.

I cut bangs several months ago, they're almost chin length now, and I'm considering cutting them again. I regretted them at first but I realize, my face looks a little funny without them. Your new bangs look fantastic, so I wouldn't regret them if I were you. :)

Another regret of mine: When I dyed my ends to match my gray/blonde roots, I was insanely rough and impatient and broke a lot of hair. I hate myself for that.

georgia_peach
July 18th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I cut bangs several months ago, they're almost chin length now, and I'm considering cutting them again. I regretted them at first but I realize, my face looks a little funny without them. Your new bangs look fantastic, so I wouldn't regret them if I were you. :)

Another regret of mine: When I dyed my ends to match my gray/blonde roots, I was insanely rough and impatient and broke a lot of hair. I hate myself for that. Thanks, HairPlease! I'm definitely feeling good about them now. Sorry about your hair dye regret. Although I haven't dyed my hair in a few years, I know that horrible cringing feeling when you realize you've broken lots of hair.

HairPlease
July 18th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Thanks, HairPlease! I'm definitely feeling good about them now. Sorry about your hair dye regret. Although I haven't dyed my hair in a few years, I know that horrible cringing feeling when you realize you've broken lots of hair.

You're welcome. :)
Yeah... I can actually see pencil-width strands of hair broken off to shoulder-APL underneath (luckily underneath and not on the canopy!). I won't do that again! lol

Inga-Marjukka
July 18th, 2016, 05:56 PM
I'm really poking at very old wounds here but in the summer 2011 I got rid of my dreadlocks that I only had for four months (I found them really boring and didn't know how to care for them right). The damage from them didn't bother me one bit because I was prepared to get rid of the length and was desperate for a change since I'd had waist length hair for a long time before the locks. I had a really nice bob for a couple of hours before I dyed it. Very dark distantly brown-ish purple. By accident. And cried.

Katia_k
July 18th, 2016, 11:55 PM
It was so very long ago, but I regret what I did to my hair as a high school swimmer. I frequently didn't wash it after swimming, would leave it in nasty pool-buns, would rip through it with a brush from roots to tips (though most of the time I didn't do this just because it hurt). It was such a frizzy over-chlorinated mess, it was so sad. Granted, the chlorine gave it really cool copper streaks, so that was fun. But it was just so damaged.

I also regret all the times I've gotten it cut and let someone take off way more than I wanted. I've lost so many inches over the years because I wasn't firm enough about not taking off all the damage they wanted to take off, or because I let them straighten it before cutting it (I have 2C/3A curls...length is so not accurate when straight).

At least my first-ever experience with hair dye has been a good one. I love my henna head.

Tosca
July 19th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Not a regret as such, but I do wish my medication didn't thin my hair so much. I have gone from 3.5in circumference to 2.5in circumference. Luckily, now I have finished studying, I can probably talk to my doc about transitioning off this one entirely by Christmas this year. I'm not looking forward to the withdrawal/transition period, as I have heard it's unpleasant. I will still have 2 others I take, but I do think that it's my 3rd one that caused the thinning.

vintagelovely
July 19th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Probably an obvious one, but I regret bleaching the complete life out of my hair and having the hack the majority of it off. I'd been growing it for over a year before that and I ended up cutting off all the length I'd gained. Trying to grow it out again now and actually keep it healthy - I've also given instructions friends/family to slap me if I think about bleaching it again. :P

Tosca, I don't know what medication you're on, but I've been there with medication withdrawal so if I could just offer my two cents. Though it is unpleasant for a while, once you get over the worst of it (as long as it seems to drag on) it does start to get easier. Having support and people to talk to when you're struggling helps. Good luck!

Tosca
July 19th, 2016, 06:59 AM
I'm taking ziprasidone, 20mg at night. I've accidentally taken less (the capsule broke and I didn't notice) and it left me achey and foggy and queasy and generally fluey the next day, and getting to sleep took me taking a drowsy antihistamine. Hopefully since I'm taking very little (largest common dose is 80mg morning and night) it shouldn't last too long. *crosses fingers*

vintagelovely
July 19th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Yeah even though it's a small amount your body gets used to it, so once you come off it you've just got to stick with it and give it time. :) Like you said, since it's 20mg it hopefully shouldn't take as long to get out of your system.

Also you can think of how lovely and thick your hair will be as motivation! (although 2.5in is still thick to me! But I can understand how loosing the circumference would be a pain)

sommer
July 21st, 2016, 04:40 PM
In fact my the biggest hair regrets are connected with many bleachings and dyings for making the unusual colours like on these pictures http://hairstylezz.com/best-mermaid-hair-color-ideas/15/ :eek: The colurs looked very cool on my head but they become pale very fast and the damage for hair is very high... Somtimes I even was scared of such massive hair loss! :( Besides with such state of hair it makes no sense to grow it long because it doesn't look healthy and beautiful at all :(
And my another big regret was with that amount of shampoos and conditioners which I used for restoring it, it was a simple waste of money because there was almost no effect :(
I'm happy now that I found the decision with th oils, my two favourite are the coconut and argan one :)

https://draxe.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/CoconutOilBenefitsBackground-480x480.jpg

hannabiss
July 21st, 2016, 08:52 PM
I regret after shaving my hair off that I used deposit red dye on it that didn't want to fade..then went over it with a brown close to my natural color. But I wanted all virgin hair. I don't regret the buzz cut though just coloring it after the fact. But hey I made it to bsl in three years from bald so it's not too bad. And I did trim along the way.

Frankenstein
July 21st, 2016, 11:50 PM
I regret the coloring and bleaching that happened between 2008-2009, even though it was a long time ago and my hair has recovered. My hair being a damaged and miscolored mess added more stress onto what was already a bad time in my life. I'm so glad that period in time is over.

Jumper
July 22nd, 2016, 01:16 AM
My main regret is cutting layers. They're taking forever to grow out. The last remaining layer tangles terribly even in a braid.

LillithTheFirst
July 22nd, 2016, 06:01 AM
So many ragrets...

adrenaline
August 4th, 2016, 03:57 PM
My biggest regret was to dye my hair with Katam ... unfortunately my hair color became greenish in some spots and it didn't fade. I had to grow it out and I'm so happy it's gone ^^

Dark40
August 10th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I regret cutting my hair when I was 13 years old from it being MBL. It was down to the middle of my back when I was little but not it's almost back to that length again!!! Yeh!!!

Tassledown
August 11th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I regret never standing up to hairstylists and getting the short cut I ACTUALLY wanted versus what they THOUGHT a girl "should" have in terms of short hair. It worked out very well for me that I finally buzzed my hair the same years I discovered the Curly Girl book, at least. I'm starting over with completely virgin, well-kept CO-washed hair with the goal of terminal length (now that I know how I feel about a buzzcut and how to care for longer hair properly) but it took me over twenty years to finally achieve the two things I wanted from my hair: to see if I actually could like my hair short if I could just go short enough, and to finally know how to take care of my curls.
I just wish I could have known sooner.

Acid
August 11th, 2016, 07:37 PM
i regret cutting a fringe/bangs back into my hair, i know itll be years before it reaches the same length as the rest of my hair :rolleyes:

JaneHathaway
September 29th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I regret not deciding to stop dying my hair when I got a pixie in January '14 rather than only about a month ago, when it's just past shoulder length. It would've been much easier to tolerate the roots back then, but growing out my natural color wasn't even on my radar. D'oh.

summergame
September 29th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I regret the cuts that i've did and coloring my hair so much! It's still suffering from it now!

Goatcraft
September 29th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I regret my recent coconut oil adventure. My hair would be so close to my goal length (classic) if I hadn't bought into the coconut "daily use" craze. I've cut off quite a bit of inches and regaining mousture has been a nightmare. The daily oiling dried my hair out so much! It broke off and even thinned.. This is pretty traumatizing for someone who has virgin hair. Never woulda thought coconut oil could have this effect.

Kake
September 29th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I don't regret the stupid things I've done, like dyeing and straightening. It's the awful haircuts I've had that I didn't want that make me truly regretful. There were 2 in particular (10 years apart, different hairdressers) that stand out. Both times the cut was not what I wanted or asked for, and both times it was badly done, and looked awful. I have never done anything to my hair that made me feel as bad, or look as bad, as those hair cuts. Never again, believe me.

missmelaniem
September 30th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Cutting in 2015 to grow out the dye is hands down my biggest regret.. and having short hair at any time in my life, really.

I didnt need to cut to grow out the dye... I just needed to stop dyeing! I was concerned about the line of demarcation which wound up being really not that bad.

Mrstran
October 30th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Dying and bleaching my hair for the last three years. If not for that, I'd be at my goal today.

Angye
October 30th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Cutting my hair so frequently to get rid of the damage instead of taking good care of it... and trying to grow out an undercut whilst still having an undercut but of a different form.

Of the Fae
October 31st, 2016, 04:58 AM
Cutting it from BSL to a near complete buzz cut in '13.. if I had not done that, I would have had classic length by now :3 It did get rid of all my bleach damage though..
Oh also using bleach products for years that lead me to said cut because my ends were frazzled as hell... in retrospect just an APL cut would have been fine.

Gothic
October 31st, 2016, 05:12 AM
I regret relapsing to bleaching in April.. My regrowth would be almost 10 centimeters by now.

school of fish
October 31st, 2016, 06:00 AM
I regret cutting in layers in an attempt to camoflage/blend in ends that were breaking off and thinning out from damage due to a variety of factors. In so doing I learned that my hair is stronger when blunter in the hemline, so further thinning out my ends with the layering did me no favours...

On the other hand, the regretful layers and the damage they were intended to hide were what kicked me to getting serious about addressing my haircare. I finally learned my hair, and learned how to not only make peace with what I had previously felt were its inadequacies and but to come to see those same qualities as its strengths. Through that regret I learned to accept and love the hair I have, so I guess in the end I can't be too terribly regretful ;)

hopefulred
October 31st, 2016, 10:56 AM
Cutting it from BSL to a near complete buzz cut in '13.. if I had not done that, I would have had classic length by now :3 It did get rid of all my bleach damage though..
Oh also using bleach products for years that lead me to said cut because my ends were frazzled as hell... in retrospect just an APL cut would have been fine.

How did you cope having a buzz cut? I'm going to see a tricologist tomorrow because I fear I need to have my severely bleach damaged (hairdressers overlapped the bleach alot and its snapping off) cut to 3cm and its already scaring the hell out of me

Of the Fae
October 31st, 2016, 12:20 PM
I answered your PM with this in detail hopefulred :) But in short, I did enjoy my buzzcut for a time. I rocked a pixie for a long time in my late teens, and I currently have a buzzed side cut (have had one on and off for a number of years and am very happy with it). It will leave you with healthier hair, as I said my bleach damage was gone and now my ends are SO MUCH softer and nicer then they were back then! I have more volume and a better hemline, even though I hardly ever trim, and my hair, even though I have a lot of it, is very fine.

Aidin
October 31st, 2016, 12:27 PM
I regret have relaxed my hair in 2012, because I had to grow all my hair again now natural.
And recently ~Mar 2015 I did some highlights, which now look pretty bad cause I don't want to do touch ups and will force me to cut my hair eventually as the highlighted parts are very thin.
Any advice for this silly newbie?

Vallena
October 31st, 2016, 12:27 PM
I regret that hennaing set my hair growth back, because I ended up cutting it all out. I could not deal with having two colored hair, props to those who can do it!

mermaid lullaby
October 31st, 2016, 12:36 PM
I regret asking my mom to cut my fairytale ends, my hair looked so much better with them.

OhSuzi
November 1st, 2016, 09:37 AM
I regret not trying to grow my hair long sooner as its just starting to go grey - I don't mind being grey, I was just hoping to grow it all long and natural and one colour - I think by the time I get it to 30 ins it will be dark mousey brown at the bottom, a mix in the middle, with white roots.

höpönasu
November 1st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Henna. Now I have 1/3 of my hair natural color and the rest is just a mess! Looks so untidy all the time. It doesn't bother me always, but being around people with not so messed up hair as mine is a bit embarrassing. Buns and braids forgive some though.

ANoteToSelf
November 1st, 2016, 09:31 PM
Where to start?
-I chopped my TBL hair to Chin in Jan 2016 for a "change"(I also wanted to donate it, but I haven't gotten around to it.)
-I didn't get it thinned out, so I wasn't even able to wear it the way I wanted to because my hair is too thick.
-I thinned it myself and messed it up(I always cut my own hair, but the shorter length threw me off)
-I trimmed the ends a few more times to rid myself of splits instead of S&Ding
-Went in so my stylist could fix the ****-ups. She took off around half an inch, which wasn't bad, but I only wanted to sacrifice length if it meant my sides would be evened out--which they weren't(aren't).
-I asked her to thin it or layer it so it would lay without giving me class a triangle head. She didn't even soften the layers, which is very bad with thick hair. And I still get triangle head.

^^This is pretty much my entire year of bad decisions^^
I don't feel SO bad about the first decision. I hope my hair can make some girl/woman happy and confident again. It was SUPER long and virgin hair, so it'll make a great wig. Plus, regardless of how I feel my hair grows at a good rate.

Gothic
November 2nd, 2016, 06:00 AM
I regret straightening my bleached hair until it started snapping off.
I regret getting tape in extensions and removing them myself, I lost a big amount of my own hair during the process (it wasn't shed hair, it hurt when they pulled out).

OhSuzi
November 2nd, 2016, 06:31 AM
Just to balance it out and add a positive light on things whilst I egret not trying for long hair sooner - I don't regret having buzz cuts & bleaching it and perming it and dying it a 100 different Multi-coloured ways whilst I was younger. Now I have a boring grown up job, I cant shave & dye so much and I don’t really have as much time to spend doing crazy stuff to my hair any way. – at least I got to try loads of fun stuff and won’t have to wonder what it would look like.

ANoteToSelf
November 11th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Just to balance it out and add a positive light on things whilst I egret not trying for long hair sooner - I don't regret having buzz cuts & bleaching it and perming it and dying it a 100 different Multi-coloured ways whilst I was younger. Now I have a boring grown up job, I cant shave & dye so much and I don’t really have as much time to spend doing crazy stuff to my hair any way. – at least I got to try loads of fun stuff and won’t have to wonder what it would look like.

That's a good one. I really like my natural hair color because it gets lighter/darker with the seasons, but I was so tempted to bleach and tone grey/lavender. SO tempted. A while ago I was looking into Henna and I can just feel those bad decisions waiting to happen. Sometimes I think it's because I didn't experiment more with it when I was younger.

It's nice to get that perspective. When I chopped my hair to chin, I thought it would be a fun experience to go through another hair journey and styles that I couldn't do with my TBL hair. I didn't think I would regret it this much, but c'est la vie. Now I know and I won't make that mistake again, I guess.

MidnightMoon
November 12th, 2016, 01:05 AM
I regret cutting from tailbone to BSL on February 2015. Thankfully, and if my predictions are correct, by February 2017 it will be there again. It's at hip now... but could have been at classic... oh well.

Temme
November 12th, 2016, 01:33 AM
I regret have relaxed my hair in 2012, because I had to grow all my hair again now natural.
And recently ~Mar 2015 I did some highlights, which now look pretty bad cause I don't want to do touch ups and will force me to cut my hair eventually as the highlighted parts are very thin.
Any advice for this silly newbie?

Since you regret relaxing and highlighting, maybe just decide that you're going to keep your hair virgin, to prevent future regrets? My whole life I've had virgin hair with a straight hemline, no layers. It's not for everyone, but it's prevented me from ever having to regret a hair color, a unique haircut, etc.

Temme
November 12th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Mine is kind of weird and hard to explain...

I regret having dry, frizzy hair in middle school because I hadn't found LHC yet. At points I washed my hair daily by putting sulphate shampoo directly onto the length, what I would call clarifying today, and I had to spend a lot of time panicking and feeling so self-conscious.

I also regret, in high school when I knew about LHC, letting my hair look bad for different reasons. I once tried going NW/SO pretty much cold turkey. I now really believe that NW/SO is better for people who are able to not care what others think. I cared what others thought, but I refused to shampoo my hair because I believed that my hair would look nice after it transitioned (and also because I believed that God wanted women to grow their hair as long as possible, and I thought NW/SO would help with growth by minimizing damage). I was miserable with my greasy hair, and I was constantly trying to avoid my mom for fear that she would confront me and tell me to shampoo my hair, which she did, which is how NW/SO ended for me.

I regret trying to stretch washes, which also made me very self-conscious. I regret that phase where I wore a braid every day, because it made me self-conscious that the other girls wore their hair down and I didn't.

I regret still not knowing how to make my hair look presentable, to the point that the guy I liked eventually told me that he would like me if I tried to look more attractive and "brush my hair".

What I don't regret: learning to care what others think a lot less, lapushka helping me to realize that my hair was wavy and not straight (which was a big part of the problem), discovering that using conditioners for curly hair make my hair presentable, finding tLHC, daily washes, and finding a boyfriend who does find me attractive and forgetting that other guy.

Johannah
November 12th, 2016, 02:19 AM
Letting the hair dresser cut my blunt bangs. Waaay to broad and waaay to thick. I've been growing them out since ages. :angry::angry:

Soltimus
November 12th, 2016, 06:48 AM
I really regret having had layers in my hair since almost forever! That's what stopped me from growing my hair long ages, and when I finally got it super long it just broke and broke and broke because of layers. Last year I cut my TBL hair to AP. No layers. My hair is super healthy and slowly getting longer again :)

Bea18
November 12th, 2016, 07:02 AM
My hair regret is cutting shoulder lenght when I was fourteen. My hair was almot wais lenght then, and I cut it, after that I cut my hair short several times cause I was just too lazy to try and deal with long hair again, but now that I know how to care and deal with it properly I'll let it grow as long as I can.

Asrai
November 12th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Mine isn't so much a regret as a "I feel totally torn on this." Part of me really regrets chopping my hair off into a pixie because I know that I'd be closing in on waist if it wasn't for the several haircuts this past spring. Now it's going to be years before I'm even close. But at the same time, I feel like I really needed to try that pixie, just to get it out of my system. I'd never had properly short-short hair before & while I now know that I can pull it off, I also know I am hands down a long hair at heart. I definitely do regret treating my hair like I was going to keep it short, though. At the time it seemed fine to be a little more cavalier with my bleach choices but now I'm going to have to live with this multiple bleached hair for a good while before I've got enough length to start trimming it out.

Mrstran
November 13th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Mixing too many products together and experimenting. Huge mistake. What was I thinking? I could have lost my hair!

My hair stuck together.
I don't know if the Castile soap would have done it by itself, or the castle soap was effected by the rice rinse.

I'm not useing either one again though

Strands
November 13th, 2016, 12:26 PM
I think I most regret the last 25 years of my life and believing the people who made fun of my hair and made me feel like it was so ugly. I blame a lot of people from my peers in school for their cruelty to my mother for lack of any proper hair care for my type, but I also blame myself a lot because maybe if I was just a little stronger I would have learned to love myself and treat myself better, and my hair thus solving half the problem in itself.

I just regret not making the changes I am making now sooner. I have so much to learn about myself, hair care, and who I really am. It really hurts me to realize that so much of my depression and mistreatment literally caused me to hate myself so much more and that it only made my problems worse.

-sigh- So much depression in my life up to this point. Nobody should feel like this. :no:

JaneHathaway
November 13th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Mixing too many products together and experimenting. Huge mistake. What was I thinking? I could have lost my hair!

My hair stuck together.
I don't know if the Castile soap would have done it by itself, or the castle soap was effected by the rice rinse.

I'm not useing either one again though

Followed your thread about this and I know you tried several things to remedy the situation. Did the conditioner soak work?

Miss P
November 13th, 2016, 10:08 PM
I regret the pixie phase soooo much! I just had to cut my APL hair into the style (which didn't suit my face). Regret was instant. Than to make matters worse, just as it was starting to reach neck I go in to the hairdresser to get a trim....yeah 'trim' apparently means inverted bob with razoring and highlights...literally couldn't stop crying on the car ride home. Since then I've learned how to trim my own hair and have no plans to EVER go to a hairdresser again.

Ephemeron
November 18th, 2016, 11:09 PM
My biggest hair regret is not taking better care of my hair when I was on the swim team in high school and now I have to grow out many inches of chlorine damaged hair.

diewassermelone
November 23rd, 2016, 01:57 AM
Mine is kind of weird and hard to explain...

I regret having dry, frizzy hair in middle school because I hadn't found LHC yet. At points I washed my hair daily by putting sulphate shampoo directly onto the length, what I would call clarifying today, and I had to spend a lot of time panicking and feeling so self-conscious.

I also regret, in high school when I knew about LHC, letting my hair look bad for different reasons. I once tried going NW/SO pretty much cold turkey. I now really believe that NW/SO is better for people who are able to not care what others think. I cared what others thought, but I refused to shampoo my hair because I believed that my hair would look nice after it transitioned (and also because I believed that God wanted women to grow their hair as long as possible, and I thought NW/SO would help with growth by minimizing damage). I was miserable with my greasy hair, and I was constantly trying to avoid my mom for fear that she would confront me and tell me to shampoo my hair, which she did, which is how NW/SO ended for me.

Temme, I feel you. In middle school my hair started becoming curly thanks to genetics, and I decided that the best thing I could do for it was to not comb it and stretch washes. People's hands and objects used to get stuck in it, it was such a snarly mess, and the few photos of me from that time look terrible. I was also miserable because I knew it looked bad, but not what to do to make it better; my mom and sister have slightly wavy hair but nothing even close to what was happening to mine. It wasn't until college when my hair was finally uniformly curly/wavy that I started taking proper care of it.

JustPam
January 17th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Thinking back, I regret getting the balayage last year after growing out virgin, rather than getting the underlights which was my other option. Having the balayage just resulted in my effectively wrecking ALL of my growing out progress, rather than just a section. Damn me chasing my childhood colour. Of course, having the [almost] all over bleach resulted in my ends getting totally stained by the direct dye I used for halloween, made even worse when I tried to fix it with more direct dye.

I went to a hairdressers and she fixed me up best she could by covering it with a darker brown after trying to bleach bath the mess I'd made out, I was left with green staining which I need to keep toning over when it starts showing through the brown. I kept a section underneath and had that dyed teal, so at least now I have the underlights I wanted, but what I wouldn't give to just have the rest of it virgin again. Ugh.

pili
January 17th, 2017, 10:19 AM
So many regrets:
::Attempting to tame my hair throughout my childhood with a brush on dry hair, and then never being able to grow it past shoulder length until I stopped dry brushing.
::Cutting it into a pixie all three times at 15, 23, and 36 years old.
::Cutting off my hip length hair during my first pregnancy to shoulder length.
::Cutting off my waist length hair to a curly bob after my second pregnancy.
::Letting my mom talk me into relaxing my hair my senior year of high school.
::Ombré done in 2014 which is what caused my most recent chop from BSL to SL due to breakage.
::Not loving my curly, big, wild, unique hair all my life, and fighting it instead.

Wow, writing that out is kinda depressing, but also cathartic. It's like going to confession, "Forgive me LHC, for I have sinned..."

This will be good to look back on whenever I get some hairbrained idea that will keep me from what I really want which is LONG HAIR!

Neon Sun
January 27th, 2017, 04:42 PM
My hair regret is cutting shoulder lenght when I was fourteen. My hair was almot wais lenght then, and I cut it, after that I cut my hair short several times cause I was just too lazy to try and deal with long hair again, but now that I know how to care and deal with it properly I'll let it grow as long as I can.

Oh, that's my story too! I has such a long hair when I was 14 years old, I grew it so long from my childhood years and then I decided to cut it, even for the shorter length than in your case :eek: During that time I was happy about my decision but now after many years I regret that :(
And I also regret about my experiments with such crazy colours like on these photos from stylemann.com (http://stylemann.com/best-hair-color-ideas/)...:eek: Yeah the colours were cool, for example, I really adored such bright purple but I got such a huge damage for my hair because of them! :(

http://stylemann.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/15-Blue-Swirl-650x650.jpg

I'm still struggling with this aftermarth, I think that it'll take really long time to become my hair so healthy like in teenage years again...:(

desu
January 27th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Cutting it short and bleaching it.

ReadingRenee
January 28th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Hmm hair regrets...

I have had a lot of haircuts and bleaches and dyes and I felt they were a necessary/enjoyable part of my hair journey so I don't regret them. However, 2 years ago when my hair was about BSL and I had been growing for about 2 years, I dyed my hair about 3 times and twice blonde so it was hard on my hair. Even though I haven't dyed my hair in over a year besides the slight demarcation, I can really feel the difference and see the difference in hair quality and that is always a bummer. I cut my hair two years ago as well and before I dyed and cut it, it was SUPER healthy and was looking great, so I don't know what possessed me. So I regret cutting it, although I did enjoy my bob and short hair for about a month or so.

Aidin
February 1st, 2017, 08:31 AM
I've shared some of my regrets already, but they are so many that I keep remembering other.

I think one hair regret that set me up in the wrong hair-path was to cut my hip length hair at 14 to shoulder and relax it just be cool/trendy..whatever... that just opened the door to more relaxer through my teenage years...

My most recent regret (apparently I haven't learn yet) was going to the hairdresser on New Year's to get my hair straightened (I just wanted to visualise how much my hair has grown this year), but it left it with some heat damage and breakage :( However, I want to be able to straighten my hair at least once a year (see I haven't learn) to check how my extremely-curly-forever-APL hair is growing... I don't know if the damage is due to the hairstylist just exaggerating on the heat, or if I really can't straighten my hair ever again... buh!

mizukitty
February 1st, 2017, 10:09 AM
Hmm.. Can't say I really regret anything I've done to it, honestly. Every time I manipulated it and it came out terribly, it was a learning experience for me. Bleaching it like 3 times within days was obviously damaging, but I'm stubborn and need to learn from my own mistakes. My hair (fortunately) grows quickly and I'm really thankful for that. As long as it comes back, I'll be okay :)

Pamberpestana
February 1st, 2017, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure how much I regret this yet, but I put a few applications of red manic panic on my virgin hair (infra red)

I love the color!! However, my hair clings to anything red, and doesn't let go! I'm getting this feeling that I wont get to see my natural hair color for a long time. Maybe I'll have to grow out the red, or maybe it'll be faded in a year or so. My hair is perfectly healthy, no damage, but I can't really say I have virgin hair anymore, which is something I took some pride in after I chopped off all my damaged, bleached ends.

I'm enjoying the red for now, and I suppose I'll just have to see what my hair looks like in a few months. I my last application was about a month ago and my first application was about a month before that, and my hair is as vibrant as it was the day I applied last.

Here's my virgin hair vs my hair yesterday

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w520/Pamberpestana/20170127_003356_zpsibuhqzjg.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/Pamberpestana/media/20170127_003356_zpsibuhqzjg.jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w520/Pamberpestana/20161130_124045_zps2tiefxoy.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/Pamberpestana/media/20161130_124045_zps2tiefxoy.jpg.html)

Salwety
February 6th, 2017, 03:59 AM
I regret using chemical straighteners, keratin blow outs, blow driers, straightening irons, using shampoo, and using plastic hair rollers, low quality plastic hair combs, and wood hair combs, combing my dry hair multiple of times and wishing it to behave . It was thirty years of fighting against the nature of my super curly hair to get it to behave as straight or at least wavy hair.
Thanks to LHC that I seized to abuse my hair , and started to take proper care of it. I stopped doing all of the above, and started to use conditioners and henna, and sleep on satin pillow case. I was already using oils before.
My hair is in better condition, but I can't wait for it to grow.

fairy_hair
June 25th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Growing my hair to thigh length for 4 years... only to decide to trim gradually back up to hip length almost as soon as I reached my goal. If only I had not decided I wanted it shorter, I would have really thick, wonderful ends on thigh length hair. Only two more years to go! (cries quietly)... at least I got the thick ends I desired :D

ArienEllariel
June 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Deciding I would try regular dye again because surely using it a couple times couldn't be that damaging. Well it was on my fine hair. I've caused a major setback growing back to waist from all the damage.

Corvana
June 25th, 2017, 05:33 PM
I think my biggest hair regret was getting a stacked bob when I was like... 13? I had just moved from CA to TX due to my grandmother dying and my great-grandmother needing care and my parents using that as a great time to finally divorce, and I wanted to do something drastic and different. And I immediately hated it :laugh: I pretended to like it, but no. It was horrible, and I hated it. My hair was long before then, but I honestly don't remember how long! BSL-waist probably. That's generally where I leave long hair, and start to get it trimmed.

Any other cut or dye that I've done was more deliberate and enjoyed! I don't even really regret bleaching my hair to dye it pink and purple. I loooooooved having pink and purple hair, and while it got damaged, it was a pixie eventually, and my hair grows very fast.

I may think of another regret later, but I really think that one cut is the only one I ever 100% hated!

lisamt
June 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM
my biggest regret that still affects me now was probably getting layers in my hair, even though they're long layers. it makes little pieces stick out of my braids and the ends are so much thinner than the "top" of my hair. my biggest regret overall is getting light blonde chunky highlights in my dark brown hair in like 5th grade. i don' know why my mom let me do that it did not look right on me at all :rolleyes:

2gaits
June 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM
I'm currently living in regret land. I cut my bsl hair into an align last August. I've been dealing with trying to grow it out ever sense. Last hairdresser cut in a bunch of layers. I also gave into coloring it. Overall condition is okay but I sort of have soccer mom hair. Joined the second half no trimming to help me just live with it and quit cutting.

abralash
June 25th, 2017, 06:42 PM
I had bsl hair, but cut it to just above shoulder height three months ago. I regretted that a week after the cut. I got brow length blunt bangs... and really deep terrible layers. I really want to keep it grown out long term instead of the extreme cuts I typically do.

BloomShine18
June 26th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Cutting to chin length. Well, really being forced to cut thanks to damage caused by "oh what's a little color going to hurt?" Yeah. A lot.

M00bles
June 26th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Thankfully I've never had any terrible haircuts but I do regret using so much heat and detangling with very little care. The last six inches of my hair are full of white dots and splits and removing them is going to be a long process.

Dendra
June 26th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I have to echo some of the previous posters in that whilst I've done a lot of bleaching, hendigo-ing and chopping, I don't regret those things as now it's out of my system and I won't have to wonder. The only thing that beckons me is hennaing, because of the thickening benefits. I've never been a full on henna head, only hendigo (and some dodgy red box dye in my teenage years).

In terms of regrets, I could have been more gentle with my hair. I cringe when I think back to last winter, when having no idea about protective updos led to me losing chunks of matted hair almost daily. I also did not condition for around a year, whilst doing WO. This is along with hendigo, no oil treatments, and brushing through knots with no mercy.

At least now I know better!

Corvana
June 26th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Oh! Brushing through knots so roughly! My hair is pretty tough, and I don't notice any damage from it, but I used to just rip through tangles like nobody's business. It doesn't even take me much longer to be more gentle with my comb, and I also don't have a slightly sore scalp after.

Dark40
June 26th, 2017, 08:03 PM
I regret the day when I cut my MBL hair as a teenager back in 1985. I really believe that if I had kept all of my hair I would have reached my goal of ankle length today.

littleghost
June 26th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Washing my hair with baking soda... really dried it out

Garnetgem
June 26th, 2017, 09:51 PM
Trusting my eldest sister who was then a hair dresser trim my hip length hair in my teens...lets just say it was not hip length after she got to it more like chin length!

YvetteVarie
June 27th, 2017, 05:35 AM
I regret using a relaxer last year when I had a good amount of chemical-free virgin hair. I ended up losing 4'' in September, and I still have to cut off another 3 inches so my hair has the same texture throughout. I could have been BSL or longer if I hadn't been undecided with what I wanted to do with my hair

nikki_s
June 27th, 2017, 10:36 PM
I regret allowing a supposed decade + experienced stylist/colorist bleach My hair (she had done so twice before, no issues; this was supposed to be roots). Huge sections fell away as I rolled from rinsing sink to cutting/styling station. My hair was over 36" long (measured from back of head, not front hairline). The entire right side in front was burned off at the scalp. Most slowly broke away over the next week (leaving Me with 1/4-1/2" hair) as I cried every day, and refused to give up and cut what was left. Over the next two months, I trimmed away the remaining bits. Cut to BSL first, then APL, then shoulders, and finally... very, very short bob, with a chemical undercut on the right. It looked awful until enough grew back to have the short bob with undercut.

Nov 5, 2014. I will never forget it. And not a day goes by that i do not say, "I want My hair back" at least once. Some days there are still tears. Joining this forum was bittersweet, as it serves to inspire, and depress Me. Far more inspiration though, and I love seeing others reaching goals!!! :D

Dendra
June 28th, 2017, 04:30 AM
I regret allowing a supposed decade + experienced stylist/colorist bleach My hair (she had done so twice before, no issues; this was supposed to be roots). Huge sections fell away as I rolled from rinsing sink to cutting/styling station. My hair was over 36" long (measured from back of head, not front hairline). The entire right side in front was burned off at the scalp. Most slowly broke away over the next week (leaving Me with 1/4-1/2" hair) as I cried every day, and refused to give up and cut what was left. Over the next two months, I trimmed away the remaining bits. Cut to BSL first, then APL, then shoulders, and finally... very, very short bob, with a chemical undercut on the right. It looked awful until enough grew back to have the short bob with undercut.

Nov 5, 2014. I will never forget it. And not a day goes by that i do not say, "I want My hair back" at least once. Some days there are still tears. Joining this forum was bittersweet, as it serves to inspire, and depress Me. Far more inspiration though, and I love seeing others reaching goals!!! :D

That is terrible, I'm so sorry that happened to you. What did the stylist have to say for herself?

I hope your hair grows back just like it was before :flowers:

abribun
June 28th, 2017, 05:27 AM
I wish I never highlighted my hair!! That's my biggest regret right now. When I was younger I got a stupid perm and that ruined my hair but that part is all grown out now. I also wish I never kept my hair a bob for so many years! I'm sure by now I'd have silky long hair down to my butt if I would've know how to care for it properly. I just hate the highlights because my ends feel tangly and a bit crunchy from them and I just want to grow them out but I want super long hair!!

BloomShine18
June 28th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Current regret? Putting my lovely green Ficcare somewhere "safe" after cutting my hair. Now it seems to be lost :cry:

Ondine11
June 28th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I regret never having made the effort to learn how to best manage & care for my 3a-b fine curls & waves. I always imagined it to be worse than it is. The terrible frizz & damage had nothing to do with my hair, & everything to do with the abuse I was heaping onto it! LESSON LEARNED!

trinkets
June 28th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I really, really regret the first Big Cut in fifth grade that went from waist to ears. My curls enjoyed not having all that weight on them, but I did not appreciate all the Shirley Temple comments!

Cherriezzzzz
June 28th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Last year I cut my almost waist length hair to almost my collarbone! Ugh! I thought it would be easier to care for.... ha! My hair won that battle! I swear it's bigger (wider?!) the shorter I've cut it!

TheBoldLife
June 28th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I probably would have hip length by now if I hadn't made the mistake in college to bleach for a few HOURS until my hair was crispy and blonde. Don't know what I was thinking, but to get rid of the straw-like damage, I had to cut my hair to a bob. That was the worst hairstyle I have ever had. NEVER AGAIN.

Andthetalltrees
June 28th, 2017, 03:16 PM
I've cut my hair from tailbone/classic into a cheek length bob, and then grew it out to a bit past waist length which I cut into a neck length bob and kept for a year(My what a journey for only 7-8 years). But I don't regret either actually, My hair grows quick enough and be in much better condition than the first time(tailbone/classic) band hopefully I'll feel better mentally about it this time by the time it's waist again.

nikki_s
June 28th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Thanks! :D
I am curious to see if any/some/ALL! of the tips/tricks I am finding here will help My hair to be better than ever!
The stylist? She actually still charged Me. I was too traumatized and in shock to do anything but blink,pay, blink, roll home, blink, stare, blink, stare (sigh). The next day in the shower was when it hit fully. Cried for hours...
She ended up refunding the full amount. She tried to offer a "free session, including haircut, to make it look nice." :rolleyes: I told her no thank you, refund please. And I asked if she realized I would NEVER let her come near My hair ever again. Maybe she was in shock too... I actually believe there is a good chance she simply made a mistake, or a few, without malice or intent. A head scratching mistake, but... yeah :(
Heather :D

That is terrible, I'm so sorry that happened to you. What did the stylist have to say for herself?

I hope your hair grows back just like it was before :flowers:

Coucouvaya
July 5th, 2017, 10:13 AM
I regret everytime I go to the hairdresser to cut my hair to a bob or a lob just because I was bored with looking the same. I always wanted long hair but lacked the patience and the will to stick to this dream. Hope this time I will achieve my desired hair growth. Next time I feel disappointed with my hair I will come here to remind my self that this time I am serious.

theholydonut
July 5th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I regret going to the hairstylist a few months ago and asking for a 1-2" trim and leaving with a 4-5" trim. This happens every time and apparently I still haven't learned my lesson. 1-2" is actually a small amount, people!!!! Now it will take me a year to catch up again. The only person who ever actually only took off 1-2" was my SIL, who sadly doesn't live in my province anymore, and also doesn't do hair anymore. :(

I have quietly resolved to trim my own hair from now on. Haven't figured out how to do that yet, but I do consider myself to be a Jill of many trades. If I can cut my husband's hair, I'm sure I can figure out how to do mine.

theholydonut
July 5th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Thanks! :D
I am curious to see if any/some/ALL! of the tips/tricks I am finding here will help My hair to be better than ever!
The stylist? She actually still charged Me. I was too traumatized and in shock to do anything but blink,pay, blink, roll home, blink, stare, blink, stare (sigh). The next day in the shower was when it hit fully. Cried for hours...
She ended up refunding the full amount. She tried to offer a "free session, including haircut, to make it look nice." :rolleyes: I told her no thank you, refund please. And I asked if she realized I would NEVER let her come near My hair ever again. Maybe she was in shock too... I actually believe there is a good chance she simply made a mistake, or a few, without malice or intent. A head scratching mistake, but... yeah :(

This is terrible! It actually sounds like she might have mixed the bleach incorrectly! Like made it way too strong or something? Did you leave an honest review online? I hope that was a moment of truth for her as a stylist, so that she can figure out what exactly she did wrong. I can totally understand the part about being in shock and paying like usual.

I hope your hair grows back quickly :)

nikki_s
July 7th, 2017, 12:42 AM
This is terrible! It actually sounds like she might have mixed the bleach incorrectly! Like made it way too strong or something? Did you leave an honest review online? I hope that was a moment of truth for her as a stylist, so that she can figure out what exactly she did wrong. I can totally understand the part about being in shock and paying like usual.

I hope your hair grows back quickly :)
No, I left it alone. I just wanted to run away, and hid ein a pillow + blanket fort. But, I did look at the salon's site a month later, and she was no longer there. I have not found her anywhere, so I am hoping she gave up and went to another... planet...

Renora25
July 7th, 2017, 04:29 AM
As much as it was probably good for my hair at the time (It is so much healthier!), I regret having cut my hair so short last year. I miss the feeling of hair brushing my triceps and being able to fit all my hair in a braid! *sigh* The growing journey is so boring until I can bun it and leave it.

seashells
July 7th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I regret my ugly bleach blonde layered pixie cut. I've now grown it out to just below my shoulders.. but it's got choppy layers and the ends of my hair where the bleach were are all fried and gross. Getting regular trims but I don't want to lose too much length, still don't know what to do about the layers. I cant braid my hair because it's all different lengths! :(

Quincy
July 7th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Hello everyone :) I'm from india..here there is not much awareness about how to take care of curly and wavy hair..among common people..i regret treating my hair badly all these years just because i wanted straight silky smooth frizz free hair..i regret not being aware of how to take care of my hair before..so now im just trying to correct my all mistakes ..i love my hair the way they are..and i promised to take right care of them 😊

akuamoonmaui
July 7th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I regret not listening to LHC and not strand testing a henna color/brand I had never tried before. I had been henna-ing my hair for long enough that that it definitely "stuck". I LOVED the color. I usually ordered the favorite color ("chestnut") on line, but found a different company with same color name. I figured it couldn't be much different, right?

Wrong.

This new color had a LOT of indigo in it, it was more of a 'walnut', not 'chestnut'. So, the indigo on top of the established henna made my hair very dark brown. AND it didn't budge. I've spent the last three years growing out the brown. In my sig pic, it's still quite dark. I now have been able to grow it out so there is about maybe 2-3" of the browner color. It's lightened quite a bit with Vitamin C and clarifying shampoo treatments, I also have been using a lightening shampoo which gradually helped to pull out the color without making it green/blue.

So. Follow LHC advice. STRAND TEST and, "You don't flirt with henna ~ you marry it".

katieing
July 9th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Chopping off almost all my length... :( worst decision ever. I had beautiful hip length hair and for whatever reason decided I should cut it all off all the way up to shoulder! ugh. It was probably for the better (left over dye from years ago, mistreatment, etc) but I still regret it to this day... Never again. Only trims from now on - no big chops!

Fimu
December 13th, 2023, 04:09 AM
Undereating and using products (even CG/cone-free ones) that were actually wrong for my scalp, resulting in low quality hair growth and thus increased breakage.

Simone_Fatale
December 13th, 2023, 04:57 AM
I regret ever dying my hair in the first place. Had gorgeous midback virgin hair in 2013. If only I let it be! But it's never too late.

ETJ CURLS
December 13th, 2023, 06:47 AM
I wish I hadn't been so committed to not using heat on my hair. If I'd blown it out sooner I would have been able to see how damaged it was and go on a hair restoration journey earlier.

But it all works out. The haircare knowledge I stumbled across in the last four years is much more solid now; if I'd started earlier maybe I would have been sucked into other improper haircare practices that were common online.

fairy_hair
December 13th, 2023, 02:42 PM
I regret cutting my thigh length hair to collarbone about 4 years ago... maintained it shorter for a while but been growing it back now. At least I'm back to hip length nearly now. And this time it seems thicker and healthier than ever before!

Kelp
December 13th, 2023, 05:56 PM
I wish I had stopped dyeing it when I decided to start growing it out!

After I decided I wanted to have long hair after I cut everything off into a pixie, I continued dyeing it. My hair was never totally bleached, but I did use peroxide lighteners, permanent, and semi-permanent dyes. I suppose I didn't know how bad dyeing was, or if I did, I must have decided just one more color couldn't cause too much damage. Even after I got serious about long hair and grew to MBL I was tempted once again and used a semi-permanent, but my hair was so porous that the color wouldn't wash away. I had to dye it back to my natural color using a permanent dye.

Now I'm lucky that my hair isn't absolutely fried. The condition isn't terrible and my split ends are minimal. My ends, however, are lighter than the rest of my hair and definitely look damaged. I have been micro trimming and plan to trim when I hit classic to get rid of all of the light ends. I wish I knew how much of an effect the dye would have on my hair six years later!

tuanyiji
December 14th, 2023, 09:53 AM
I regret I didn’t start growing out my hair 10 years ago but I’m glad with the hair care knowledge I have now.

ArtOfNoot
December 14th, 2023, 08:11 PM
I don't regret my neon orange hair (I loved it to death) I just am bummed by how the chemical damage has affected my thickness. I rewatched the 1968 Romeo and Juliet last night to fall asleep and found myself jealous of how nicely Olivia Hussey's hair slicked back into her braid. I have so many short hairs on the top of my head and through my lengths. It causes quite a lot of braid shred and flyaway

Bat
December 15th, 2023, 01:30 PM
It all started back when I was 14.
I had dyed my apl length hair blue black and I loved it, but my mother wasn't a fan so we got a blond dye.
Naturally that meant my hair had blond hot roots and the rest was black. So we got in the car and started going to the shop to get another dye, when she asked me if I would cut the black out.
I felt bad about having to get another dye so I said sure.

Worst. mistake. of .my. life! I've never managed to leave my hair alone since then, so that is about 24 ish years of wanting long hair but never being able to leave it alone.

So here I am, back in the sandpaper stage regretting my life decisions

Ylva
December 16th, 2023, 05:47 AM
Bat, this suggestion may be a bit out there, but maybe you could find help in for example neuro-linguistic programming, to try and lessen the pattern that’s causing you to sabotage your progress over and over? Or hypnosis. I’ve used and continuously use tools like these to work on my subconscious patterns concerning singing. Just the fact that you shared the origin of this issue made me think that these tools could yield results in your case.

foreveryours
December 16th, 2023, 08:59 AM
I regret I didn’t start growing out my hair 10 years ago but I’m glad with the hair care knowledge I have now.

Same. I started seriously growing my hair over 10 years ago after tiring of the boring buzz routine and I also now regret not starting 10 years earlier!

Even if I had though, I'm sure my regret would be the same!

Bat
December 16th, 2023, 12:25 PM
Bat, this suggestion may be a bit out there, but maybe you could find help in for example neuro-linguistic programming, to try and lessen the pattern that’s causing you to sabotage your progress over and over? Or hypnosis. I’ve used and continuously use tools like these to work on my subconscious patterns concerning singing. Just the fact that you shared the origin of this issue made me think that these tools could yield results in your case.

That's very interesting I should look into those I almost need divine intervention at this point

SandyBottom
December 16th, 2023, 02:13 PM
If I knew then what I know now...I don't think I even started looking into anything or trying until about 8 years ago:(

angel-baby
December 16th, 2023, 08:25 PM
I regret going from black to blonde and back (multiple times!), cutting my hair from TBL to APL multiple times, I DEFINITELY regret henna, I regret every time I tried to return to my natural color and gave up, and I really regret that I didn’t just go natural after I cut my BSL bleached hair into a bob. It would have been such a great time to start over.

10 years ago I had hip length hair and I remember thinking that by now my hair would be at least mid-thigh, if not knee.

Bat
December 17th, 2023, 05:24 AM
I regret going from black to blonde and back (multiple times!), cutting my hair from TBL to APL multiple times, I DEFINITELY regret henna, I regret every time I tried to return to my natural color and gave up, and I really regret that I didn’t just go natural after I cut my BSL bleached hair into a bob. It would have been such a great time to start over.

10 years ago I had hip length hair and I remember thinking that by now my hair would be at least mid-thigh, if not knee.

I definitely feel this, most of the people who joined here when I did now have hair past waist length I could have had hair that long now too

constancev18
December 17th, 2023, 11:48 AM
I should've really committed to healthy diet and hair habits in Jan. I did some things right-protective styled about 85% of the time. 2024 I'll hunker down on diet.

angiepangie4
December 17th, 2023, 01:52 PM
I used a gentle color conditioner on my hair last month, thinking it would just wash out after a few weeks, but since it was dark blue/black-ish it's probably never going to go away completely :doh:

Right now my roots to mids are a gingery brown (my hair was ginger before) but the ends are almost greenish???? :((( I put a copper color conditioner on it to balance everything out and that helped a little but everytime I wash it the copper comes out and reveals the stupid blue color again lol. I think I'm going to have to either bleach the ends or cut them if I want to look normal again

angel-baby
December 17th, 2023, 10:45 PM
I definitely feel this, most of the people who joined here when I did now have hair past waist length I could have had hair that long now too

It's so frustrating to look back and think "If only I hadn't done X thing to my hair, I would be at Y goal now!"
I still regret all the messing around I did while knowing I wanted to grow my hair long, but I also have to at least respect that I had fun with it (mostly. Except for the henna). Hopefully we get it out of both our systems!

Bat
December 19th, 2023, 10:08 PM
It's so frustrating to look back and think "If only I hadn't done X thing to my hair, I would be at Y goal now!"
I still regret all the messing around I did while knowing I wanted to grow my hair long, but I also have to at least respect that I had fun with it (mostly. Except for the henna). Hopefully we get it out of both our systems!

I don't think I ever will with dye atleast but I know I don't want permanent black anymore

I want to give up scissors indefinitely but I know one day I'll want to cut out layers so going to leave myself open for that.

cadaverinna
December 19th, 2023, 10:23 PM
It all started back when I was 14.
I had dyed my apl length hair blue black and I loved it, but my mother wasn't a fan so we got a blond dye.
Naturally that meant my hair had blond hot roots and the rest was black. So we got in the car and started going to the shop to get another dye, when she asked me if I would cut the black out.
I felt bad about having to get another dye so I said sure.

Worst. mistake. of .my. life! I've never managed to leave my hair alone since then, so that is about 24 ish years of wanting long hair but never being able to leave it alone.

So here I am, back in the sandpaper stage regretting my life decisions

One thing I thing could help you is trying to enjoy every length. Force feed yourself pinterest boards on whatever length you're at until you see something that looks cool and excites you, like fingerwaves, for when you have super short hair, and practicing braiding styles as soon as you have a little more(thin braids, of course), and so on.

Try not to think too much about long hair, just what you're currently working with.

paulownia
December 20th, 2023, 03:25 AM
Its amazing how much I can relate, Bat shudder:
I often said and thought that. I'm almost as undecided about colour as you and I give in to cutting urges way to often. I sabotage my hair and can't leave it alone.
And I don't know if I will be ever able to grow it long.
I'm really in a messed up state right now.

ETJ CURLS
December 20th, 2023, 07:01 AM
I know straighter textures don't do as well with extensions, but have y'all ever know about just putting your hair in braids (they don't have to be long) and just leaving it alone? That's how a lot of people with curly hair get past the twa/"ugly" stage until it grows out, plus you have a TONNE of colour and styling options.

illicitlizard
December 20th, 2023, 09:07 PM
I know straighter textures don't do as well with extensions, but have y'all ever know about just putting your hair in braids (they don't have to be long) and just leaving it alone? That's how a lot of people with curly hair get past the twa/"ugly" stage until it grows out, plus you have a TONNE of colour and styling options.

Straight haired girl chiming in - this is essentially what I did when growing my hair out. I was determined to get to braidable length (few inches all round). Headbands and clips to keep it out of my face, then braiding it away and basically not spending much time on it for the better part of a year. Best part of super short hair is it is low maintenance. I was really annoyed by how slow it was going, but I knew if I just stuck out the ugly stage it would get past it quicker than if I screwed around with different cuts etc. I think it's really detrimental to obsess over hair when it's still in the awkward stages - you gotta just try and ignore it until it's a bit closer to your goal. Benign neglect and all that...

Bat
December 21st, 2023, 12:52 PM
Trimming to keep the shape when I tired to grow my hair doubled the growing time
With my stint of no trimming I had longer hair in 170ish days than I did in 300

paulownia
January 4th, 2024, 12:22 AM
My hair crisis is basically over but new insights have come ;). New year, new hair?:eye:
So - I realised that I've been styling my hair wrong way for the past 2 years. It never wanted to twist all in one direction and that's probably why the different layering didn't work. I have to accept that my strands turn in different directions - left side twists outwards, right side in the other direction. I re-learn styling and gave up trying to make my hair do something that it's not in its nature.

I did henna and I realised that I have just too much grey to keep up. So I'm back to growing out my salt and pepper :D
I will dye the lengths with semi-permanent dye in brown colour to cover the red and let the whites be;)

Ylva
January 4th, 2024, 06:12 AM
My hair crisis is basically over but new insights have come ;). New year, new hair?:eye:
So - I realised that I've been styling my hair wrong way for the past 2 years. It never wanted to twist all in one direction and that's probably why the different layering didn't work. I have to accept that my strands turn in different directions - left side twists outwards, right side in the other direction. I re-learn styling and gave up trying to make my hair do something that it's not in its nature.

I did henna and I realised that I have just too much grey to keep up. So I'm back to growing out my salt and pepper :D
I will dye the lengths with semi-permanent dye in brown colour to cover the red and let the whites be;)

I would say this is huge! It could be a gamechanger.

Good luck going salt & pepper, too! :D

paulownia
January 4th, 2024, 10:19 AM
I would say this is huge! It could be a gamechanger.

Good luck going salt & pepper, too! :D
Yes, it changed my approach totally :D
I would usually style damp hair and finger coil all of it in one direction.
Since Christmas I'm experimenting with different methods. I understood that much that my hair has to be soaking wet prior to styling and that I have to use much more gel/mousse.
I will observe my waves and give them time to get used to this new approach. When I see the pattern then I will make decision how to cut them.
Meanwhile I will still participate in no trimming mini challenge from January to end of March;)

Waiting for silvers to emerge:popcorn:

Für immer
January 4th, 2024, 10:36 AM
The biggest regret I have hair-wise, is chopping off my TBL hair to my shoulders in february 2017.
If I had kept it, taking in consideration of average growth, I would've been a hair-twin with TasuOni by now.

Also regret trusting an unkown hairdresser to cut my hair in 2018. My hair got ruined from that, lengthwise, as it was too uneven to keep so had to cut it very short (Rizzo from grease-short...) with another that I did know beforehand.

And I both regret and don't feel regret about dying my hair with herbal colors.
Why I don't? Because with my skintone etc, brown with reddish aspects as well as red that has a bit of brown suits me rather well. So I'm happy with burgundy.
Why I do feel regret? Because I'm not getting any younger, and the time where I can enjoy my natural blonde color is limited.
So, feel like I should embracee my blonde locks while I still can. Once my hair has turned gray and/or white, I can dye it to my heart's content if I so wish, but my natural color? It's now and for one to two decades at most.
So yeah, don't really know how to feel about this one to be honest. :undecided