PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to trim

cmdinoto
July 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I have been growing my hair out for years. I am at a point where I don't know what to do with my ends. If I trim them it might look better but I will be upset for the lose of the ends of my hair. If I don't trim them would then ends continue to be stringy. Also I am trying to grow my hair to its terminal length. Your advice would be appreciated. Also the hairdresser said my ends are actually very healthy.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b576/cmdinoto/DSCN0065_zpsed37dfb1.jpg (http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/cmdinoto/media/DSCN0065_zpsed37dfb1.jpg.html)

Rebecka
July 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I think your hair is beautiful. You could try to trim like 1-2 cm, that makes bigger difference than one can think. :)

Arien
July 19th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I think your ends look fine. I happen to rather like fairytale ends. Some people don't mind wispy ends, some people do. If its bothering you that much you could always just trim an inch or two to start and see how you feel. It will after all grow back! I don't think you will thicken them up without a trim.. There are some strands that are quite a bit longer then the average length of your hair there. It's down to you. If it will make you unhappy, don't trim :).

PJolie
July 19th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I agree with Arien. If it will make you unhappy don't do it, but if you want to you can try just a couple of inches. Your hair is pretty anyways!

cmdinoto
July 19th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Thank you everyone! It's nice to hear advice from other people and not just my family. They want me to cut my hair but I think I should trim a bit off for the ends to look thicker. Thanks again for your advice.

biogirl87
July 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM
cmdinoto, I want you to do what makes you happy, but if I were in your place and that was my hair I would probably trim an inch, maybe even an inch and a half off. I've never really been a fan of fairytale ends but at your length they may be unavoidable. All of this is just my opinion though.

luxepiggy
July 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
If you are trying to grow to terminal, and your ends are healthy, then personally I would just leave them. Once you reach terminal length fairytale ends are inevitable anyway (^(oo)^)`

ExpectoPatronum
July 19th, 2013, 12:15 PM
If you really wanted to trim up the ends, half an inch would probably be sufficient since your ends do seem really nice! You'll probably be able to get away with just dusting them off (trimming very very little).

Kherome
July 19th, 2013, 04:03 PM
If it were my hair, I'd cut back to waist to get the stringy wisps off. But I prefer a blunt hemline. YMMV.

Komao
July 19th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Since you have mixed feelings and trying to get to your terminal length, I would do a dusting. See what you think. Your hair is very pretty but you may find you like it even better and do another dusting. I would not, in your case and due to your feelings about it, take off inches at a time. I think that would be to much of a shock. Just a dusting perhaps today and then in a couple days or next week you could do it again. Nothing to radical:)

Brileeka
July 19th, 2013, 04:54 PM
If it was my hair I probably would try to even my ends out and make my hemline more blunt. Maybe into a u shape. But thats just what I would do. Do what ever makes you happy.

cmdinoto
July 19th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I appreciate your opinion. I have been tossing around the idea of cutting like an inch off to make it look fuller. Thank you again!

alexis917
July 19th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I think your ends look quite nice, honestly!
I'd probably trim half an inch to an inch off, to see if that makes it look better to you.

Leeloo
July 19th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I'd suggest to do micro trimming. This way you don't lose the length and with time get more even hemline. My :twocents:

spidermom
July 19th, 2013, 09:11 PM
If it were me, I'd get a U-shape hem and keep as much of the length as possible. I drew a U with my finger on your picture, and the amount of hair you would lose would be minimal, although some of the pieces off that right side would be as much as 4 inches long, looks like. But you'd only lose about 2 inches off the length. Or you could go with more of a V-hem and only lose maybe 1 inch off the length.

I do have a bias for trimmed ends, though; must admit.

Dandelion6
July 19th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Your ends look very healthy. What I see is just that the hairs on your head are growing at different speeds. This happens to everyone. Since your goal is terminal I will give you the opinion as if I were growing to terminal...I would want to just enjoy every step of the way and feel good about my hair. In other words, I would work to shape up my hemline to the preferred look (in my case a U shape) and just dust as necessary. There is no rush if your goal is terminal.

Artisticat
July 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Your hair is very beautiful and gorgeous color! If you trim off about 3" or so...your hair would be simply jaw dropping! :agape:
Wow that sounds like a lot, but please do whatever you feel comfortable.

DancingQueen
July 19th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Your hair is beautiful. :) Personally, I would probably cut to where my hemline looked nice and thick. It can be difficult, but I prefer my hemline to be fairly thick. But do what makes you happy; as far as I can tell, there is not a lot of splits, some hairs just grew faster than others. :)

Dragon
July 20th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Since you want to grow to terminal and your ends are healthy, id vote to leave it alone since hair grows at an uneven rate anyway.

alyanna
July 20th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I would trim to waist as well just to get rid of some of the fraying and unevenness.

jacqueline101
July 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM
If they're healthy I'd leave them.

merseaone
July 20th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Looks to me only one side would need a real trim. Maybe get a U shaped trim, and let it go from there.

ravenheather
July 20th, 2013, 07:04 AM
This is my dilemma as well. To trim for shape on the way to terminal or let it do its thing. With the added problem of losing bunability if I trimmed to apl. Right now I think leave it alone and let it grow. If terminal is the goal, then it will end up tapered anyway.

Magalo
July 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I don't mind wispy ends but the unevenness would bother me (left side being shorter). If I was you I would cut a u-hem with the shorter sides being at waist. :)

AmyBeth
July 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I just wanted to say how beautiful I think your hair is. Don't let an uneven hemline bring you down. Concentrate on how beautiful it is. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. Tune out any negativity and do what makes you happy.:)