PDA

View Full Version : I think I want to start using Cones again... Help?

Pigfarts
July 18th, 2013, 08:08 PM
So I've been doing CO with cone free conditioners for the past 6 months. I still don't love how it's going. My hair has been bleached so it's dry but I feel like the only time it looks and feels soft is when I use my old conditioner and serums that have cones.

If I want to start using cones again, can I still do CO? I just don't want to have that whole build up issue and I don't want to use sulfate shampoos.

How do you use cones and prevent buildup?

Thanks!

Beborani
July 18th, 2013, 08:26 PM
The only product that Id like to be cone free is my first conditioner that I use to wash. The next one has cones and I happily slather on pure coney serum on wet hair along with a leave in conditioner that may or may not have a cone (I am not particular). But before I wash I oil my hair with sesame oil (only because I am used to it, any oil should work), domt bother soaking--when conditioner pulls this out it pulls out the cones too. I dont get buildup but every month or longer I wash with something else (At this time it is shikakai or chickpea flour, mostly because I have a supply of these, I am not anti shampoo, just seeing how long I can go without it)

biogirl87
July 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Pigfarts, I know that certain cones can be removed with cocamidopropyl betaine. I'm not sure which ones can be removed with cocamidopropyl betaine. You might want to check out naturallycurly.com as they have an article about which cones require sulfates to remove them and which cones can be removed with gentler surfactants. If you know which specific cones you want to go back to, you can try PMing luxepiggy as she knows a lot about cones in general.

Firefox7275
July 19th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Any cone that is prefixed PEG- is water soluble and should not build up, the amine ones resist build up too, many others can be removed with cocoamidopropyl betaine if you don't go mad on them.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/products-ingredients/water-soluble-silicones
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones

butterfly_dream
July 19th, 2013, 05:12 AM
I do Co-wash with a conditioner containing Quaternium-80 (water soluble silicone) and it works fine. Sleek and shiny hair and no buildup. ;)

luxepiggy
July 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Yes, you can absolutely CO-wash with 'cones - I have been doing it for over 2.5 years now (^(oo)^)v

To get all the wonderfuly 'coney slip, shine and softness sans buildup, choose conditioners that contain only aminosilicones such as amodimethicone or bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. Aminosilicones do not build up on the hair and provide targeted conditioning of damaged areas due to their unique chemical characteristics.

I really like Garnier Fructis Fall Fight Conditioner (http://www.drugstore.com/garnier-fructis-haircare-fall-fight-fortifying-conditioner-for-falling-breaking-hair/qxp409738) for CO-washing. I've been using it for the past year and have not experienced any buildup.

Come back to the 'coney side! You know you want to (^(oo)~)

Animae
July 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I too have been thinking about returning to the silicone side of life. I don't often Co-wash, but I have still been worried about the buildup problem.

luxepiggy
July 19th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I too have been thinking about returning to the silicone side of life. I don't often Co-wash, but I have still been worried about the buildup problem.

Aminosilicones are the way forward! \(^(oo)^)/

Kaelee
July 19th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I am so glad I went back to cones! And I still CO. :)

Wildcat Diva
July 19th, 2013, 11:20 PM
I love the idea of Piggyscience.

DancingQueen
July 19th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with using cones. Sometimes, my hair just need cones to look good. If you feel like you are getting buildup, why not just claryfy once in a while? :)

red-again
July 20th, 2013, 05:07 AM
I love the idea of Piggyscience.

And luxe piggy replying to pigfarts! I have just amused myself!

MiamiPineapple
July 20th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I CO with cones everyday. I love how my hair is looking. I would go back if you think it's what is best for your hair.

MaryO
July 21st, 2013, 04:02 AM
I am a coney girl and probably never will change. I don't do CO but when I notice build up I do an ACV rinse and everything's lovely again. I do a rinse about every week...

Pigfarts
July 26th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Thank you everyone!!! I think I'll try one of the water soluble cone conditioners :))

jacqueline101
July 26th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Cones are good I'd be lost with out them.