PDA

View Full Version : scalp massage--how to do it correctly when applying oil

mamaherrera
July 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Just wondering how to do a correct scalp massage upon applying oil to the scalp because I always do like circles, and my husband says he thinks I could be pulling hairs out by moving them all around like that. what's the correct technique of massaging oil on to the scalp, because if I just apply pressure, that ain't going to move the oil around.

Delphi
July 18th, 2013, 06:28 PM
You know, I read yesterday that there is no evidence that castor oil stimulates hair growth but there is evidence that scalp massage does, so I was wondering the same question!

Googling led me to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQf3GKd7-mk), and she does seem to know what she's doing judging from her gorgeous hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQf3GKd7-mk

Natalina
July 18th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Most people I know said you should do it in circles. But when I tried doing that, it feels painful and I kept tangling or pulling my hair out. :(

So I decided to just do what felt best and safer for my hair - I massage my scalp by gently moving my fingers back and forth (vertically). It feels good, doesn't tangle nor pull my hair out. I apply oil every time I move to a different part of the scalp so my entire scalp are equally oiled. I use warmed up virgin coconut oil.

I'm not saying my method is the correct way, though. I'm just sharing how I do it. It's a way that works for me, since my hair fall has decreased by at least %40.

panffle
July 18th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I do the same as Natalina, applying gentle pressure while rubbing with finger tips back and forth. I don't notice any pulling, tangling, etc but sometimes a few hairs do come off - I guess the massaging simply removes the hairs that are supposed to fall off that day. No additional shedding throughout the day, just the usual.

mamaherrera
July 18th, 2013, 09:04 PM
no this is all great stuff. Thanks, I will try the vertical and check out that youtube. This is my first time trying castor oil, but we'll see, usually my scalp doesn't like oils, so we'll see. If not I'll just stick to the massaging, but yes I kind of avoided it thinking I was maybe doing more damage than good with those circle movement things.

Leeloo
July 18th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I noticed that I pull alot of hair when I put oil on my fingertips and try to massage it on the scalp. I started putting oil in one of those hair coloring bottles with a tiny hole dispenser tops (I got mine from Sally's beauty supply store) and use that bottle to dispense oil on scalp and then massage it in. This way their is alot less pulling.

Chiara
July 18th, 2013, 11:50 PM
I part my hair and apply the oil to my scalp in the part with a Q-tip, then make another part, apply oil and so work from one side of my head to the other. Then I carefully run the balls of my fingers over my scalp from front to back, using not to much pressure, as though I was combing with my fingers (but with them touching my scalp); this distributes the oil over my scalp. I'll also make sure to massage gently along my hairline, over my ears and so on. I also find circles=tangles!

lulana
July 19th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I just dip my fingertips in oil and go over my scalp in circles, sometimes i do the sponge trick just like that in the video but only pre washing. On no washing days, i do it regular in the evening and when i wake up the oil is soaked up ;)

Firefox7275
July 19th, 2013, 05:46 AM
AFAIK there is no evidence oils do anything for the scalp or hair growth, it's probably more important to use something that gives you the right amount of slip and doesn't pull on hair, perhaps combine your massage with your wash? I find conditioner only washing is a lot easier than shampooing for not pulling on the hair, I sort of finger comb in lines along my scalp from the hairline with alternate hands rather than circles. If your scalp doesn't usually like oils stay away from anything rich in oleic acid, that is a known irritant.

jacqueline101
July 19th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I use gentle pressure applying oil and massing it with my massage brush. Then I flip my hair over and do the same for fifth teen minutes

Rebecka
July 19th, 2013, 07:02 AM
I do back and forth or in circles, the point is to stimulate the blood flow, and thats achieved with both :P

mamaherrera
July 20th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Now it makes me wonder if when I'm lowpooing my hair if I'm pulling out hairs or damaging, because I just get it sudsing and stick my fingertips in there and do circles all around. Is there a gentle, more just as effective way at cleaning the scalp with sulfate-free shampoo without causing extra hairfall?? although I still think our hair is strong than what we think it is.

McFearless
July 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM
You should be encouraging increased circulation to the scalp by moving the skin, not the hair. Placing palms and fingertips on the head and moving your hands in circular motions. It doesn't disrupt or tangle the hair and achieves what you're looking for.

MaryO
July 21st, 2013, 03:56 AM
I have actually wondered about this myself. I have some oils I've been wanting to try but then wondered whether it isn't just the massage that actually helps with growth? Should be interesting as an experiment. I do think that oils should help with the condition of your scalp if it's dry right?

mashy
July 21st, 2013, 04:16 AM
You know, I read yesterday that there is no evidence that castor oil stimulates hair growth but there is evidence that scalp massage does, so I was wondering the same question!

Googling led me to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQf3GKd7-mk), and she does seem to know what she's doing judging from her gorgeous hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQf3GKd7-mk

Ah I've been subscribed to that girl for some time - you need to check out the rest of her videos! I love her no heat curls ideas!