PDA

View Full Version : Giving the two-week rule a try

biogirl87
July 17th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Okay, so this may seem odd given that my hair is about half an inch to an inch from my second goal of BSL, but I have decided to invoke the two-week rule.

The reason for this is that while my hair is probably the longest it's ever been, today on the way home from campus as I was talking to a friend, the conversation around to hair and how we were growing our layers out. I've been wanting to grow out my layers probably since my last trim in January and coupled with one of my last threads I've been thinking for about a week now of at least cutting off the longest layer in the next 6-8 weeks (this would be about a 2" cut). Today, however, I started thinking about possibly cutting off all the layers in my hair at once as this theoratically should allow me to start trimming my own hair earlier and hopefully save the money due last cuts to trim layers. Here is a pic of my hair from the back that I took today.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5352&d=1374119404
My longest hairs are probably half an inch to an inch away from BSL, with the next longest layer arouind APL (this is the layer that I was thinking of getting cut in the next 6-8 weeks), and I think my shortest layer is at shoulder length. Last time I had my hair at shoulder length was in January-February 2011, meaning it has taken me around 2 years to grow to current length (factoring in the trims I've had over the years). While going to back to shoulder length would be a big adjustment, layers are starting to become a pain when I put my hair up but if I go back to shoulder length, I'd be able to wear my hair down more and would likely get a fresher start on my hair journey as it would get rid of the split ends that are probably hiding in my layers and the possible damage that occurred from my hair rubbing against/getting stuck under straps of my backpack.

Clearly, with a big jump in length I want to wait it out a bit and think this over before trimming my hair/cutting away the layers. But I would still like to hear your thoughts on this matter, especially if you had layers before. With my ponytail circumference ranging from 3.9" on freshly washed hair to between 3 and 3.5" when it needs to be washed, would shoulder length still allow me to do decent updos? Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2013, 11:08 PM
NOoooooooooo. It's sooo pretty! I do not think updos at shoulder length are going to be easy. I do not have layers, so I have no advice about that. I don't know, I'm trying to make it past a milestone before I grow past it, to trim back to that milestone. Your wavy hair looks great with the layers. Of course, you should do what you think will make you happiest.

battles
July 17th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I have nothing useful to say except..

Soooo pretty. :thud:

DancingQueen
July 17th, 2013, 11:21 PM
NOoooooo! Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous with those layers, please don't cut them off! I guess I agree with wildcat diva; do what makes you happy, but maybe trim when you are at your milestone? :)

biogirl87
July 17th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Thank you ladies for your replies. Wildcat Diva and Dancing Queen, I understand what you ladies are saying and where you're coming from. I guess at this point I'm a bit torn as it could be nice to not have layers in my hair but at the same time it could take around 2 years to grow it out again if I cut back to shoulder. So, that's partly why I'm giving it two weeks before making the final decision. Ladies, I would like to hear more comments and thoughts, so please keep the replies coming.

Agnieszka
July 18th, 2013, 12:35 AM
I think your hair look amazing like this, with layers.

:run: :-)

Merlin
July 18th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I'm in the NONONONONONONONO!!! camp on this one - your hair is gorgeous as it is!!!

jeanniet
July 18th, 2013, 01:08 AM
I think your layers really do add a lot--they give you lift and enhance your waves. I'm at slightly past shoulder now, and while I can still put my hair up with a claw clip or Ficarre, I can't really do buns (and I do have layers also). My hair is quite thick, so it's possible that you could do more with your hair if it's ii or borderline iii. I could also do a short braid and halfups. But honestly, if I were you, I would leave it as is. I know layers make updos kind of a pain, but yours are really nice and I think make your hair lovely.

ExpectoPatronum
July 18th, 2013, 01:26 AM
I think your hair looks nice with layers! But if you really want them gone, you should wait until you hit your milestone and then keep trimming from there. Yeah, it'll take longer but your hair will be nice and long for updos but you would still be getting rid of the layers. That's what I'm doing now. Every time a new layer gets to a certain point, I trim the ends of my hair to it. That way my hair is still getting evened out, but I'm not losing a ton of length.

biogirl87
July 18th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Agnieszka, Merlin, jeanniet, and ExpectoPatronum, thank you ladies for your replies. I guess part of my struggle is doing S & D on my hair with layers in it and the strands wanting to twist around each other at the ends.

jeanniet or ExpectoPatronum, if you ladies trim your hair yourself or when you S & D, how you work around/work with the layers in your hair?

Lockoptimisten
July 18th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Personal i prefer layers in wurly/curly hair. I don't think the overall look on your hair will be as nice as it is now if it was all in the same length. I vote for you to keep, It would almost be a shame to cut so nice and healthy hair.

leslissocool
July 18th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but you have so much time to cut the layers out. If you stick to trimming one or two inches, I can see you being able to cut your own hair way sooner than if you cut to shoulder. You have to be able to reach for feye's method, and if you have the crea clip someone else can cut it for you. Just a thought. I personally think your hair looks great now, and should just self trim small amounts.

kaydana
July 18th, 2013, 03:43 AM
If you're wanting to grow out your layers, you can start self trimming now. Just trim it like you don't have layers and eventually it'll all be one length. Cutting it back to shoulder length would make it much harder to trim your own hair.

Your hair's gorgeous, and given your reasons for wanting to trim I think you'll end up regretting it. Start self trimming now and do S&D to get rid of the splits hiding in the layers.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 18th, 2013, 03:50 AM
If you're wanting to grow out your layers, you can start self trimming now. Just trim it like you don't have layers and eventually it'll all be one length. Cutting it back to shoulder length would make it much harder to trim your own hair.

Your hair's gorgeous, and given your reasons for wanting to trim I think you'll end up regretting it. Start self trimming now and do S&D to get rid of the splits hiding in the layers.

I Agree with kaydana- your hair is so pretty and it would be such a shame to cut a lot off when you can achieve the same result from more gradual smaller trims.

ExpectoPatronum
July 18th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Agnieszka, Merlin, jeanniet, and ExpectoPatronum, thank you ladies for your replies. I guess part of my struggle is doing S & D on my hair with layers in it and the strands wanting to twist around each other at the ends.

jeanniet or ExpectoPatronum, if you ladies trim your hair yourself or when you S & D, how you work around/work with the layers in your hair?

On the rare occasion I do a trim nowadays, I do the most actual trimming on the longest part, so I might take half an inch off and then just S&D the layers if I need to.

Vrindi
July 18th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I think with your pretty curls, having it all one length at your shoulders would drive you nuts. Mine was more wavy than curly, and it was constantly getting in my face when I was at shoulder length. Also, it was hard to put in any updo that didn't look silly. APL was barely tolerable. I'd say go for the trim you were planning on if you want to grow out layers. Blunt cuts are easier to deal with at longer lengths unless your hair is straight. I also love your layers, but think your hair would be beautiful anyway. My vote is to cut out the layers gradually if you want to get rid of them, so you're still gaining length.

earthybee
July 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I think it's beautiful with the layers too.. I'm in the no camp. :D

AmyBeth
July 18th, 2013, 10:25 AM
It's sooo gorgeous the way it is. If it were mine, I wouldn't even consider any significant cutting. I say enjoy it, while microtrimming. You can keep the length while minimizing the layers over time. You may find as it grows out that you prefer the layers.

jacqueline101
July 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
You have beautiful hair.

PraiseCheeses
July 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Your hair is what makes stylists tell everyone "Let me cut some layers to add shape and movement and body and amazingness." It's beautiful. Cutting to shoulder-length and the resulting bluntness would probably make it very difficult to do protective updos at your thickness. (Lucky.) You'd be able to manage a peacock twist or a ponytail, but it would be really tough to tuck the ends in.

Of course, that may not matter, and that's okay. :) But your hair looks gorgeous and healthy as-is. :flower:

woodswanderer
July 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I would first achieve the milestone for the satisfaction of it, and then see if I wanted to cut.

Flittingsis
July 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM
biogirl87 I too am growing out layers and for the past year or so only trimmed up to the layers, to take them out. I got a trim Monday and actually got my remaining layers trimmed also and on the whole I feel a lot better about my hair. I would suggest trimming your ends along with your layers at this point. Maybe get to your next milestone and see where your shortest layer is then. IMO, SL really is no fun.

Leeloo
July 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Your hair is soooo stinking gorgeous! Love the color and the curls. I don't remember the name now, but there is an article that explains that it is better to do micro trimming often then cutting of large amount of length. Reasoning is that you'll get a thicker and healthier hemline with less taper that way, since your ends will constantly be refreshed. If you cut the length you'll get more taper and thinner hemline due to regular damage and less often trimming. I think you should be able to do s&d and Feye's self trimming now, so you don't have to pay the salons.

Flittingsis
July 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
ssorry, double post

meteor
July 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I agree with others: I think your hair is beautiful! :)
Since your hair is wavy/curly:
- layers enhance it by giving it great volume/texture;
- it's going to take a while to grow out wavy/curly hair to the same length when dry.

biogirl87
July 18th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Thank you everyone who responded. The amount of replies I've received has been overwhelming.

PraiseCheeses, you may have a point about having blunt ends at shoulder length making it difficult to do protective updos. I remember last time when I was at shoulder length (my hair was thicker at that time as I didn't have any layers in it at that point), I was pretty limited in what I could do with my hair. During that time I would put my hair in a ponytail when it didn't look down if I remember correctly.

pressedflowers
July 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I just cut to shoulder length and keeping it in an updo has been a serious pain. I can't make a decent cinnabun and braiding is actually more difficult now that it's short. If you cut, I say cut to APL, then do it again in five or six months.

spidermom
July 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Your hair looks really-really pretty now. Just do small trims of the longest layer on a regular basis, and eventually you won't have layers.

Wurly, nonlayered hair at shoulder length = pyramid.

lapushka
July 18th, 2013, 02:51 PM
First off: it looks amazing, and great the way it is. I'd leave it alone, and keep growing, *with* the layers. You can still microtrim once you hit waist or hip or a bigger milestone. Your hair has awesome shape to it, perhaps due to the layers, so I wouldn't be so hard on them.

Leeloo
July 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I'm with you lapushka, I would keep the length and do micro trimming. It's so pretty the way it is :agree:

biogirl87
July 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Thank you ladies. I have to admit your comments about my hair being pretty or so beautiful the way it is right now are really touching. :)

kidari
July 18th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Do not chop!!!!!! There is no reason why you cannot microtrim monthly. I agree with everyone who loves your hair with the layers. It looks so pretty and healthy I don't see why you would want to chop. Shorter length with a fresh blunt hemline is the biggest pain to put into updos, trust me. I learned the hard way that I don't like my hair one length and longer plus I don't like it APL AND a freshly cut blunt hemline is difficult to manage in updos, more so than layers are.

MaryRose
July 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Your hair is very pretty with the layers so pleeeaase do not cut it yet. I was in the same boat as you in Jan 2013. My hair is the same type as yours too from the pic. My longest length was waist (my goal) and my shortest length was above my bra strap. I had my hubby cut my layers out to make it one length. After he cut it, I nearly cried. My long hair was gone!! It is all one length now and looks good after a few months growth (it just above bottom bra strap) but I wish I just left it alone. My hair would be super long by now and pretty with the long layers. If trimming is your worry, you can split your hair up by layer and S&D. This is what I did. The reason I did the cut was for a change that I immediately regretted. I lost over 4 inches in this cut which is about a full year of growth.

march_sun
July 18th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I love your hair! I'm in the process of growing out layers as well. It's annoying but I couldn't stand cutting it at this point.

biogirl87
July 18th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and your comments.

kidari, I didn't think that blunter hemline on shorter hair would be a pain to put up into updos but I don't want to argue with you on this point. I'll take your word on this.

MaryRose, I think we might be hair twins except for the waviness/curlyness of our hair (yours may be more curly than mine). Thank you for saying how you worked with your layers when you were trimming your hair when you still had them. It helped me figure out how to trim my own hair with the layers I have in it.

march_sun, that's very sweet of you. With your hair being only at APL I can understand you not wanting to cut it.

jeanniet
July 18th, 2013, 11:22 PM

I trimmed when my hair was all one length, but not now that I have layers. Part of that is because I don't feel comfortable cutting it dry and curly. I don't really bother with S & D now that it's shorter. :D I think a big part of your hair's charm is the little twirly bits at the end!

Wildcat Diva
July 18th, 2013, 11:35 PM
When I had a trim this spring (no layers at all), the blunter hemline was immediately more difficult to get into updos and stay there. My trim was about a half inch, and before that, no trim for a year, so there was slight fairytailing. It was harder for about a month, then the ends seemed more manageable to get to stay into updos after that, for some reason.

This is on only ii hair, 3" circumference. I would expect the effect to be more pronounced on thicker hair.

biogirl87
July 18th, 2013, 11:45 PM
When I had a trim this spring (no layers at all), the blunter hemline was immediately more difficult to get into updos and stay there. My trim was about a half inch, and before that, no trim for a year, so there was slight fairytailing. It was harder for about a month, then the ends seemed more manageable to get to stay into updos after that, for some reason.

This is on only ii hair, 3" circumference. I would expect the effect to be more pronounced on thicker hair.Thank you Wildcat Diva for your reply and for confirming that it's harder to get hair with a blunter hemline into updos and to get it to stay in updos. You mention that you have 3",, which is was my ponytail circumference ends up being by the time it's wash day. On freshly washed, especially if I have brushed it, it's 3.9", but even still the slight increase makes it hard to do a lot of updos and even at half an inch - an inch above BSL I feel quite limited in the updos that I can do.

Callifornia
July 19th, 2013, 01:05 AM
I also have wavy layers that I dont care for on myself. I use the same method as ExpectoPetronum to slowly eradicate the layers. I love the microtrim and maintain method because I can't stand chopping off so much at a time and going up away from the mini goals I have reached. As for the way your layers look? Beautiful! But you must do what you prefer.

S&D- one of the best methods I've had luck with was braiding it, it seems like the troublesome hairs are the majority of the ones that stick out after a little while making the braid look fuzzy. I check the fuzzy braid at the end of the day, grab my scissors, and inspect it. I prefer to just do this regularly rather than normal S&D it helps me keep from snipping the wrong hairs plus it takes less time than searching through all the layers.

biogirl87
July 19th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Thank you California. I think that when I had the layers put into my hair the volume of my hair decreased a bit. Now that I'm starting to miss the thickness of my hair when I didn't have layers in it, I am leaning toward growing them out. The question becomes how quickly do I grow them out.

Spidermom, I wanted to comment on how you said that wurly hair at shoulder length means pyramid hair. I'm not sure why, but when my hair was shorter (around shoulder length), it looked straight, maybe 1c at waviest. It wasn't until it grew out to collarbone length that I really started noticing the waves (apart from the frizz I'd deal with in my teenage years). Back in high school - college years my mom would comment on how my hair resembled a lion's mane, which might be what you mean by pyramid look. To me, though, thickness seems to trump the shape of my hair but it could just be that I'm wanting my hair to get to the thickness it used to be in my high school and college years.

Tini'sNewHair
July 19th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I have done the layers chopping off dramatic method BUT my hair was NOT as amazing as yours - mine had LOTS of insane split end layers and in a horrible two tone colour, plus the ends of my hair turned into a fluff ball each morning and i could never tame them enough - SO, i had my hair chopped off to chin length, for me it was the best decision BECAUSE my hair was far to destroyed to let it grow out or to do slow trims. PLEASE dont cut your hair, its so healthy, so PRETTY - just do slow trims over time and you will get there. having shoulder length hair is not easy to manage, your hair could puff out and make it hard to work with (mine did anyway). best of wishes

biogirl87
July 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you Tini'sNewHair.