PDA

View Full Version : rinse-out mask + mayonnaise + coconut oil: a deep treatment?

daredevil14
July 17th, 2013, 09:38 PM
So I think that my wavy/curly hair has a high porosity, I usually CO-wash with a cone-free deep mask (Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine) and I seal it with coconut hair oil.

Now I am thinking of leaving the conditioner in my hair for 1 hour and add lots of coconut oil AND mayonnaise at the same time, do you think that such treatment is possible? Is their any contradiction between the above elements? Keep in mind that my hair is most probably coarse, not fine. I live in a very hot & humid environment, the rinse-out mask has Glycerin in it and I constantly battle with frizz.

Firefox7275
July 18th, 2013, 06:00 AM
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Why are you using glycerin if you have issues with frizz, humidity and/ or porosity? There is an excellent series of articles on deep conditioning on the Natural Haven blog that I have linked to for you before, have you checked it out yet?

The conditioner will achieve maximum effect in under an hour and needs to be applied to damp hair, the ingredients will adhere to the surface. Coconut oil likely absorbs best on dry hair since it is water repellent, the research looked at penetration times between a long overnight to twenty four hours, I have't seen any research as short as an hour. Mayonnaise generally contains non penetrating polyunsaturated vegetable oils, I don't see the point of using it in a 'deep' treatment.