PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I am too old for long hair

HikerTrash
July 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I am 48, which isn't very old and I know a lot of older people than me have much longer hair than me. What I mean by maybe I am too old for long hair is that my hair isn't like it was when I was young. It was thick and luxurious when I was young. Now it is thin, breaks very easily and is dull and frizzy. I can't wear it down. It just tangles instantly into tiny knots that break when I try to comb them out. I don't want to cut it though. I just wonder if people look at me and think "oh no, honey, you are too old to have long hair like that, you are kidding yourself."

My picture below makes it look so much better than it really looks. In real life it is about a dime or a nickel width in a pony tail. I can't wear it up because most things will just slip right out. It doesn't hold a curl. It tangles up when it's down. Little broken hairs fly all around my face and drive me nuts. Am I kidding myself by clinging to my long hair?

allycat
July 17th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Naaaah, you're not too old! I'm the same age as you! Mine is waist length and I'll never go shorter again. Long hair is a state of mind! I have a long hair personality and I don't care about other people's opinions about how a woman should look.

Medievalmaniac
July 17th, 2013, 06:45 PM
You are never too old for long hair. Ever. The most important thing is that you love it. As long as you love your hair, you should enjoy it whatever length you prefer. To heck with what anyone else thinks!

panffle
July 17th, 2013, 06:47 PM
You are never too old for long hair. But are you sure your weak hair isn't being caused by some health issue(s)?

embee
July 17th, 2013, 06:50 PM
You're only too old if you *cannot* care for it. And even then, if you can find a caretaker, you're still good to go. I'm old enough to be your mom, and my hair is just at classic, thin, fine, straight. I know it isn't pretty, but it wasn't pretty short either, and it was a big pain to deal with then. Now it's easy.

You can play with more hairtoy options and find what works for your hair. It took me a long time to figure out that a hairstick was the very thing I needed. I couldn't make the stick work, it just fell out. And then one day I tried a differnt "do" and bingo - I've never looked back. It may be not the greatest, but it's my updo and I'm wearing it! :D

Plus, with an updo, my thin straggly ends are hidden completely. heh heh.

Katrine
July 17th, 2013, 07:00 PM
You're not too old at all. I'm 52 and I'm at almost hip length. I do struggle with my hair more than when I was younger, too. My hair was thicker, and I didn't have to worry so much about splits, tangling, etc. But I'm working on changing those things and just enjoying the hair I have now. Plus, as already pointed out in this thread, long hair is a state of mind and its so easy to deal with in relation to shorter hair. You can just lightly oil the ends, put it up in a protective updo with a pretty stick and forget about it.

silvertongue
July 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I know I plan on keeping my hair long when I am older! Who cares what other people think, if it makes you happy! I know you said you didn't want to cut your hair, but would it help if your hair was somewhat shorter, but still decently long? I hope you find a way to enjoy your hair again :)

leslissocool
July 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM
meh, micro trim and oil your hair! I'm young, and 3 years ago my hair looked thin! It was the chemical damage and heat damage plus my layers.

If I were you, I would cut to a bit longer than BSL. Cut the damage off, start with new ends and grow with micro trims. You can also braid the hair, it's an option I braid my hair 90% of the time and although your braid might look thin, your hair is put away. Get a Paranda matching your hair color :D.

I really don't think you are ever too old for long hair. I saw a 60+ year old lady with classic the other day, her hair looked so much better than mine! Just gorgeous.

3 Cat Night
July 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
There's no such thing as too old for long hair! :D

Natalina
July 17th, 2013, 08:01 PM
No such thing as too old for long hair! I'm sure hair thinning happens to people even in their 20's and 30's, most of the time it's just a phase the hair is going through. What with stress, diet/lifestyle changes .etc. But if your hair seems really damaged, maybe you should get your health checked just to be sure.

I personally look forward to having long silver hair in my future! :)

Leeloo
July 17th, 2013, 08:11 PM
You are never too old for long hair! :hifive: as long as you enjoy it

Islandgrrl
July 17th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Substantially older than you. I'm not too old for long hair, why should you be?

MidnightMoon
July 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Well I'm 20 and my hair already is like what you described to be your hair now...so even though it might be hard to you since you had better hair earlier in your life, your hair still is better than the one of a lot of people, and perhaps you might need some time to get used to it, find a routine which works for you, just don't give up just because it is now a bit more difficult to deal with than it was years ago.

jacqueline101
July 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM
You're not too old for long hair. Micro trim the ends and baby it. Use some benign neglect that works well too.

AmyBeth
July 17th, 2013, 08:33 PM
A bit older than you here, OP, and I have the best hair of my life thanks to LHC teachings. I don't think your age necessarily means you can't have nice hair. It looks very pretty in the picture you posted! I'll decide when I'm too old for long hair (what does that MEAN anyway?), I will not let anyone impose any kind of age limit on me. Would you enjoy having your hair, only short? If not, stop telling yourself that your hair is wrong, and enjoy it for what it is. There are people on this forum who can give you very good advice about improving the condition of your hair.

MermaidMane
July 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I don't think which hair length looks good on a person has to do with age as much as the quality and how it looks on your face. Generally speaking hair quality and facial fullness decreases with age, so if your hair has become too thin and flat or doesn't flatter your face, I think maybe cutting it some where between armpit and bra strap length would be the most flattering. It would become less weighed down and look thicker, but still be long which will make you look younger rather than older. You can also work to increase the quality of your hair by using hair masks, using less heat and color, and trims to maintain your length over time. Hope this helped!

HikerTrash
July 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I have never been in better health in my life. I lift weights, eat all natural food and feel younger than I ever have. But my hair is worse. I ride a motorcycle so up-dos are kind of a pain. I have to do something that either can look good after wearing a helmet or else it has to be fast enough to put up in the parking lot after I take off my helmet. My hair is safe inside the helmet because I wrap a fleece thing around my head and stuff the rest of my hair inside my jacket.

Maybe I should just slather coconut oil on it and hide it in braids for a while. I am so envious of these women I see with long hair just walking around with it down, enjoying the warm summer air, not a care in the world. I wore it partly down the other day and ended up almost with dreadlocks.

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Maybe a dutch braid inside your motorcycle helmet? It really sounds like that you need to find a good fit for your long hair plus your lifestyle needs.

xoxophelia
July 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Maybe you should try a silicone heavy product? It can really cut down on frizz and tangles if you find the right one. My other suggestion is to do braid waves. When your hair is down, it tends to not knot up very badly afterwards.

Macaroni
July 17th, 2013, 09:53 PM
No, not too old.

Put your hair up with hairpins/long bobby pins/Yvette Ponytail Holder and use sticks as decoration only. My hair style is similar to a sock bun and I use a stick or two after it's styled.

Beborani
July 17th, 2013, 10:00 PM
There are several threads going on about curly girl method--your hair seems to have enough waves to try it. It clumps the hair together and keeps it in place. Worth a try. I am 48 and have the best hair since 17 though I have a little help from science, minoxidil ( I understand it is not for everyone).

spidermom
July 17th, 2013, 10:02 PM
If you're too old, I'm ancient. I would think you could manage pretty well by trimming the ends and braiding for motorcycling. I also recommend coney products for easily broken hair. The Renpure Originals argan oil leave-in treatment has made a world of difference in my hair. I use the shampoo and conditioner, too. It's like that stuff was made for my hair. Sometimes great hair is a matter of finding the right products.

DancingQueen
July 17th, 2013, 11:15 PM
You are not too old. When I get old (and I mean really old), I plan to have a long, silver braid. What I can tell from the picture, your hair doesn't look that bad. You might need to cut some of the thin ends of, maybe 10 cm? A thick hemline makes hair look much better. I personally love your u-shape, but a straight hairline is easier to grow with. Just something to consider. :) My hair is not much thicker when in a ponytail, and I am only 21.

The point is, you don't get too old for long hair, especially not at 48. Please don't cut your hair off to the standard pixie just yet. Your hair is beautiful. :)

Chiara
July 18th, 2013, 02:44 AM
If you do decide to cut, think carefully about what style will work with the helmet. I find fine shorter hair can be 'heat-set' into some v strange styles indeed by hats and helmets! At least with a braid that can't happen.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 18th, 2013, 02:54 AM
NO WAY are you too old for long hair, and from what I see in your photo your hair is really pretty. I am 48 and am determined to keep growing my hair - it is at mid back at the moment. I would like to reach Classic, which is what my grandmother had until the day she died ( in her 70's I think). No one is going to tell me my hair is too long - unless I become physically unable to care for it myself.

You keep on growing it. Or, as my SO says, "keep growing it until it is long enough for you."

restless
July 18th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I think your hair looks lovely and no, youre NOT "too old". If you dont want to cut your hair, then dont cut it. Do what makes you happy (grow out the hair?) and dont bother worrying about what other poeple may or may not think when they see you. You say that your hair "is thin, breaks very easily and is dull and frizzy" but why would a cut make that any better? It would still be "thin, dull, frizzy and break easily" except... it would be short too :undecided

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but whatever you do, do it because its what YOU want and not what other people want :flower:

Arien
July 18th, 2013, 03:58 AM
It isn't so much to do with age, however how it makes you feel. If it makes you happy to have long hair then it makes you happy! :). If it's no longer making you happy then explore other options. Try a different hair care routine, try trimming it and if you really feel like you are too old for it then get it cut. There is no shame in feeling like you have grown out of something... its just how you feel personally. I felt as if I had grown out of dying my hair red & wanted a change so I stopped dying it red. Everyone feels differently about things and hair is very personal so it's completely up to you! :)

Mizumi
July 18th, 2013, 04:58 AM
No one is too old! There is nothing more fascinating than a woman with great hair, no matter the age! I think the most important is how do you feel about YOUR hair. I'm sure you will find the way to make your hair better. If not, you can always trim a little to make hemline better. I'm dealing with breaks and splits too, but not give up!

Mesmerise
July 18th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I don't think the OP is saying she's too old for long hair, just that she's too old (personally) to grow really pretty long hair (as she could when she was younger). I really don't know about this, and it's hard for anyone else to say as we all have individual hair! Many older people seem to still have thick non-tapered hair, but this isn't always the case, and sometimes all the best care in the world can't make our hair the way we like it!

So I guess the thing is, if YOU like it, keep it. If you're not happy, cut back a few inches and then microtrim (as others have suggested) and see what happens! I would also ask if you do any damaging things to your hair (colour or heat, for example) as I think that can make a big difference, and may be worse when you're older than it was when you were younger (I seem to recall being able to give my hair a LOT more abuse when I was younger than I can now... I think now my hair won't be any good unless I just leave it alone and don't touch it with heat or chemicals).

Ultimately, though, you have to experiment on yourself and with your own hair! I guess there's only a certain amount of time you can keep trying for before you know whether or not long hair will work for you, and if it doesn't, then you have to find a shorter cut you're happy with (which does NOT mean going to a pixie, but may just mean settling for BSL or APL).

MsBubbles
July 18th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I can't wear it up because most things will just slip right out. It doesn't hold a curl. It tangles up when it's down.

Heh. Well I'm 46 and my hair has always done these things - ever since I was a toddler. I'm growing it long anyway. Whatever you decide, make sure you decide it for you, not for what you think other people might think.

It sounds like you are having a hard time dealing with the changes in your hair, most of all.

Crabbyco
July 18th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I had short hair in my 20's & 30's and decided to grow it in my 40's because: 1) I was mistaken for a man more than once at work. 2) When talking about growing my hair, I was told I was too old for long hair.
My hair is totally different than it was when I was a teen(the last time I had long hair), then it was straight as a stick and thick. Now its fine and wavy/wurly. I'm very conscious of whether my hair looks "nice" and if people are thinking that I'm an "old lady" trying to look young. But da** it, this is the hair I wanted as a kid! I hated straight hair.
The other thing that keeps me from cutting short, is the memory of my grandmother taking her hair out of a silver bun that she always wore and braiding her hair at night. One day I want to rock silver hair, but my hubby and son arn't ready for it yet.

dulce
July 18th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I am 60,my hair had thinned and become brittle.After stopping all dyes ,heat and chemicals it has improved a lot.My grays are drier so I had to switch to a non detergent shampoo and a leave in conditioner.I treat it very gently now as I read after menopause with the loss of estrogen,the hair does become more delicate.But my hair is now hip plus and I love my freedom from salons,the money saved ,seeing how much healthier and thicker my hair has become now and the fact at 60, I look different [unique] compared to most ladies my age,oh- and my hubbie loves the long,silvery streaked hair!So I say go for it!! If your hair has thinned,the dyes,flat irons,chemicals ,most salons use in their shorter high maintenance dos will worsen the condition of your hair so if you cut short ,beware of that..My hair is different from when I was 20 but that's ok!And I think your hair looks fine in your pic.Check out the African butterfly clip[demos on utube] for fast easy updos which work for any type of hair.I also agree with SPIDERMOM,that finding the right products that work for your hair can make a world of difference.Best of luck!

Lunadriael
July 18th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Well, I'm in my early 20s and my hair is really difficult to manage, tangles constantly, ends get dry & split no matter what I do, and I'm still growing it out because I like it better that way. My hair has always been like this. Maybe you just need to find a new routine that works for your current hair needs. :) Also it's worth bearing in mind that we tend to be our own worst critics. Make hair decisions based on what makes you happiest, not what you think other people are thinking about it. After all, it's not their hair and they don't have to live with it. :flower:

going gray
July 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
You most certainly are not too old for long hair. Look, I'm 66 & have no plans on ever having short hair. It doesn't suit me, & I love my hair long! The ladies above have wonderful advice, they have helped me an awful lot through the years.

Anje
July 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Pfff! No such thing as too old!

Your hair is just different now than it was when you were younger. It has different needs -- probably it needs more moisture and more protection from UV light if you've lost some pigmentation. Maybe it needs gentler handling. This is nothing that a lot of us don't experience, not just when we're aging but because we all have different hair textures and needs at all ages. Learn, adapt, and keep growing til you're satisfied!

Vik
July 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Am I kidding myself by clinging to my long hair?

NO!

I just turned 38 and for YEARS I have had issues with feeling and looking much younger than I actually am. So I tried to change myself so many times to be "age appropriate" (whatever that means) and I mean everything, clothing style to more mature and elegant, high heels instead of those heeled loafers (think a more dainty version of Doc Martens but with heels), flats or such, proper makeup, even tried to change my music taste (umm yeah) - even my speaking voice to sound mature - and of course my hair. Not just once. Several times over the past years. So afraid to be that mature lady trying to be a teenie bopper. In reality I looked more like the little girl in her mothers clothes!

What I got was a mess, confusion (myself and others who ALL though I was fine the way I was).

I am more than embarrassed about all this and the only reason I even mention it is to keep you from starting down that road. If you are a long hair type and you maintain it well (even if it thins a bit, I think a small trim, some careful TLC and you'll be fine, but it is hard to distance-diagnose hair) DO NOT CHANGE IT unless you really do not want it long anymore. The age-thing ONLY applies if somebody goes against their grain (purposely choosing to try and act younger or look younger by wearing hair, clothes, whatever a certain way even if they normally wouldn't). If you are truly "feelin it" then there is no age limit. The things that really do not suit you anymore you likely would not feel inclined to do anyway (i.e. you wouldn't feel the need to suck on a pacifier or brush your Barbie doll right now, do you? ;) )

nakima
July 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I agree with everyone here, I am 53 and I'm abt an inch away from hips I have had a dream of haveing a long gray braid since I was 5 years old. I had a neighbor who was an elderly lady and her braid was down past her butt and I wanted my hair like hers when I got older lol so here I am working on it ha! I stayed at apl for what seemed like forever then in the past 3 years started growing again. I'm very happy with it and get a lot of compliments. like leslissocool said maybe take off the damaged hair oil and deep condition and you will have long and beautiful hair before u know it. good luck! oh yeah I also ride a harley so I have to take extra care and maybe some people think I'm to old for that to but I really dont care what others think. This is my hair and my life. so do what you makes you happy!!!

spidermom
July 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Maybe you would enjoy exploring new methods of caring for your hair. For example, if you color it, maybe it's time to stop. Or maybe it's time to find a gentler product or switch to henna plus indigo. Etc. Don't give up on your hair just yet, unless you really-really need a change for yourself.

pressedflowers
July 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
HikerTrash, you had a great idea: coconut oil and braiding. That fits inside a motorcycle helmet and will help improve your hair's condition, especially the tangling. Give that a try for awhile. :)

lapushka
July 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
You're never too old. Don't believe for one second that you are. And I think your hair looks nice! :D You might have to change up the routine, may have to experiment with what's best for your hair once again.

lilliemer
July 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Your hair is pretty! I never had long hair, now that I'm in my 30s I'm growing it. I like seeing people of all ages with long hair. If the ends are giving you problems, it may be old damage that can be trimmed off, leaving the hair still quite long and ready to grow out healthy.

LaurelSpring
July 18th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I have never been in better health in my life. I lift weights, eat all natural food and feel younger than I ever have. But my hair is worse. I ride a motorcycle so up-dos are kind of a pain. I have to do something that either can look good after wearing a helmet or else it has to be fast enough to put up in the parking lot after I take off my helmet. My hair is safe inside the helmet because I wrap a fleece thing around my head and stuff the rest of my hair inside my jacket.

Maybe I should just slather coconut oil on it and hide it in braids for a while. I am so envious of these women I see with long hair just walking around with it down, enjoying the warm summer air, not a care in the world. I wore it partly down the other day and ended up almost with dreadlocks.

I have been using a thing called a wrapter - http://www.wrapter.com/index.htm when I ride. I think it protects my hair very well. I am 50 and even though my hair is somewhat thinner, I cant imagine going shorter. I use to have the usual bsl layered look for years.... so boring for me. Now I can do all sorts of things and I never have a bad hair day. Plus it is so totally sexy. I love the way it feels on my back. Women have been catty and told me I am too old for it, but the men absolutely love it! :gabigrin:

EdG
July 18th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I'm 48 too.

Your hair is thudworthy. :thud:
Ed

HikerTrash
July 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM
If you do decide to cut, think carefully about what style will work with the helmet. I find fine shorter hair can be 'heat-set' into some v strange styles indeed by hats and helmets! At least with a braid that can't happen.
Good point. The whole reason I grew my hair was to get away from helmet and hat hair. God I had the WORST hat hair ever. I'd get dents and bent sections that even dunking in water and holding it under the water wouldn't make it go away. I hated those days worse than these! Thanks for the reminder.

I am 60,my hair had thinned and become brittle.After stopping all dyes ,heat and chemicals it has improved a lot.My grays are drier so I had to switch to a non detergent shampoo and a leave in conditioner.I treat it very gently now as I read after menopause with the loss of estrogen,the hair does become more delicate.But my hair is now hip plus and I love my freedom from salons,the money saved ,seeing how much healthier and thicker my hair has become now and the fact at 60, I look different [unique] compared to most ladies my age,oh- and my hubbie loves the long,silvery streaked hair!So I say go for it!! If your hair has thinned,the dyes,flat irons,chemicals ,most salons use in their shorter high maintenance dos will worsen the condition of your hair so if you cut short ,beware of that..My hair is different from when I was 20 but that's ok!And I think your hair looks fine in your pic.Check out the African butterfly clip[demos on utube] for fast easy updos which work for any type of hair.I also agree with SPIDERMOM,that finding the right products that work for your hair can make a world of difference.Best of luck!

I LOVE the freedom from salons. I fired my hair-stylists and never got another haircut again. That was about 15 years ago! I don't do anything to my hair now. I never blow dry it. I have never colored it in my whole life. I tried the no 'poo method for a while but got seborrhea so now I just use plain inexpensive shampoo every couple days and conditioner most times, but not always. It doesn't seem to help me to use fancier shampoos or conditioners. In fact, my hair was best when I was using the medicated shampoo from the pharmacy.

If I see one of those butterfly clip things maybe I'll give it a try. I seem rather challenged when it comes to creativity. Nothing ever comes out right.

I have been using a thing called a wrapter - http://www.wrapter.com/index.htm when I ride. I think it protects my hair very well. I am 50 and even though my hair is somewhat thinner, I cant imagine going shorter. I use to have the usual bsl layered look for years.... so boring for me. Now I can do all sorts of things and I never have a bad hair day. Plus it is so totally sexy. I love the way it feels on my back. Women have been catty and told me I am too old for it, but the men absolutely love it! :gabigrin:

That thing is cool! I would wear it just to wear it. Maybe I will sew one up.

Chiara
July 19th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Yes, at least braids lead to 'organised' dents and bends:D

I also think your hair looks good.

Its OK to have doubts but it's always worth asking whether acting on the doubt will get it to go away. My experience is that acting on the doubts doesn't get them to go away, they just morph to fit the new circumstances (so 'am I too old for long hair?' could change to 'is this too short? do I have a middle-aged lady bob now??') etc etc. In the end, how we look is always going to be interpreted by some people differently from we wanted/expected. I don't think we can really control what other people think about us and our appearance (despite our best efforts!). So just focusing on what you like and is practical for your lifestyle/where you want to spend your time/money is prob not a bad choice at all.

Tini'sNewHair
July 19th, 2013, 12:36 AM
i think a good trim so that your hair as at the same length will do you wonders and also braiding it - you are deffinatly not to old for this. just try different things and see what works for you ;)

spirals
July 19th, 2013, 02:22 AM
The only part of your hair that I see as thin is the last few inches, which is temporary: your ponytail damage. Once you have trimmed most of it off, it will appear thicker. And your hair is very pretty, angel-like. You're a weight-lifting biker-chic angel! :cheese:

CindiAnnwynbri
July 19th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I love and appreciate all of the responses to the first post here. I know they weren't directed at me, but they made me feel very good.

RainbowLizFairy
July 20th, 2013, 10:01 AM
No!! Your hair is so beautiful, it is always inspiring seeing women who just don't care what others think and have the long hair they want.

HikerTrash
July 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Yes, at least braids lead to 'organised' dents and bends:D

I also think your hair looks good.

Its OK to have doubts but it's always worth asking whether acting on the doubt will get it to go away. My experience is that acting on the doubts doesn't get them to go away, they just morph to fit the new circumstances (so 'am I too old for long hair?' could change to 'is this too short? do I have a middle-aged lady bob now??') etc etc. In the end, how we look is always going to be interpreted by some people differently from we wanted/expected. I don't think we can really control what other people think about us and our appearance (despite our best efforts!). So just focusing on what you like and is practical for your lifestyle/where you want to spend your time/money is prob not a bad choice at all.

Oh god anything but that! I would be SO upset if I ended up with a middle-aged lady bob.

I bought some single-ended dreadlock extensions. They are sorta like shiny, spiraled hair with little loops at the top. I took three of them and pulled three strands of my own hair through the loops and braided it. Now it looks like I have a long, thick braid a little past my waist. I tried to take a picture but it didn't work well, so no pic, but it looks actually almost real, except for not really matching my hair color that well.

Maybe I can do the same thing with two braids or add even more extensions for thicker braids. Gives me something new to do with my horrid hair anyway. Something that doesn't include looking like a middle-aged bob lady. Oh god, I've got creepy-crawlies just imagining it. It's so not me. I'm the adventurous tattooed Vespa girl, not the scowling office lady down the hall.

MaryO
July 21st, 2013, 03:52 AM
I always think that if you feel great about how you look with your hair others will see that and also think you looks great! On the other hand- it really isn't their business to have any opinion about your hair but I understand the feeling...

ladyfey
July 21st, 2013, 05:32 AM
I'm 41 and fast approaching ankle length, never too old! You've gotten some great advice here, my hair has also always been delicate, tangles like mad! Babying it is the way to go. For me that has meant updos at all times, a sleep cap for night time and benign neglect, oh - and my tangle teezer!

Vintagecoilylocks
July 21st, 2013, 06:40 AM
I am 48, which isn't very old and I know a lot of older people than me have much longer hair than me. What I mean by maybe I am too old for long hair is that my hair isn't like it was when I was young. It was thick and luxurious when I was young. Now it is thin, breaks very easily and is dull and frizzy. I can't wear it down. It just tangles instantly into tiny knots that break when I try to comb them out. I don't want to cut it though. I just wonder if people look at me and think "oh no, honey, you are too old to have long hair like that, you are kidding yourself."

My picture below makes it look so much better than it really looks. In real life it is about a dime or a nickel width in a pony tail. I can't wear it up because most things will just slip right out. It doesn't hold a curl. It tangles up when it's down. Little broken hairs fly all around my face and drive me nuts. Am I kidding myself by clinging to my long hair?

The problems you described are fixable. HEALTHY diet produces stronger hair. Especially as we get older we need to eat better. In know time you will be replacing your weak hair with stronger hair. Also products. . Reevaluate what you use. You may need gentlier products and always be gental when handling your hair. I was where you are at that age and my hair has done a complete turn around. And as other have said don't worry about others. If you love your long hair then keep it. Short will not make you happier and they will find fault with that too.

spirals
July 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
ladyfey, when I hit 41, I will probably only be at tailbone, but still I am inspired by you.

Skade
July 21st, 2013, 02:44 PM
48 is no age Hikertrash. :) Gosh, I hope I will have long flowing white/grey hair when I am much older.

swearnsue
July 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
Have the dr. check your thyroid.

I know what you mean about the hairs around the face driving you crazy, same here. I slick my hairs back with aloe vera gel. I hate the wispy tickle hairs, plain water only works for a few minutes, so the aloe vera gel is the best.

Chiara
July 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
I just realised I am dangerously close to a sensible middle-aged lady bob myself. shudder:

I fired my hair-stylists and never got another haircut again.

That's why I want to grow my hair...

Hannah Ruth
July 25th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I'm so pleased to read all your encouragement for the OP! Definitely makes me feel better, too.

My hair has changed so much in the last year--new thicker texture for the incoming grays and lots of frizz after a life of fine and smooth brown. I'm eager to have long silver hair--but this transition time is not so perfect. I'm learning to take care of this "new" hair in a different way.

And LHC has been very inspiring--as has my husband--whenever I think about chopping it all off in frustration!

lunalocks
July 25th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hair does change with age. I am 56 and post menopausal. My hair is thinner and grows slower than when I was in my 20s. But it is also longer (hip) than ever before, and a wierd texture thing happened with menopause. I now have wavy, sometimes very wavy, hair. And the silvers are coming in kinky. I focus on the hair I have now and how to take care of it (condition wash, shampoo wash and catnip soak followed by one drop of baby oil for the ends) which is very different from how I cared for it several years ago. Hair, like every other physical thing, changes with age.

What matters most is how happy you are with your hair as it is now and what can you find to enhance it's beauty and health. Think about other lengths before you cut. Would that make you happier?

Anne10
July 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM
HikerTrash, you and I are around the same age. I would love to have your hair. You are not too old!

Cowgirl16
July 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I too ride a motorcycle, I used to stuff the end of my braid in my jacket as well. I've recently started putting it in a low bun (1/2 nautilus) I secure it with small claw clips and wrap it in a scarf. It has really cut down on the tangles and my hair is protected from the elements and friction.

I think as our hair changes we have to change how we take care of it; I agree with finding a good leave in.

psst...I'm 51 and my hair is to my knees :D

RavennaNight
July 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM
You're never too old for long hair. If it is brittle or breaking, how's your diet? Are you on any medications? Any stressful changes in your life?

Artisticat
July 27th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Saw this article today:
The Queen's stylist says older women make a big mistake by cutting their hair short in a bid to look young
Ian Carmichael has worked on the Queen's hair for the past 15 years
Said women in their 40s and 50s rush to cut their hair and look severe

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379692/The-Queens-stylist-says-older-women-make-big-mistake-cutting-hair-short-bid-look-young.html#ixzz2aHPhaEWU

Anne10
July 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I agree that Anne Hathaway's short boy cut was the worst hairstyle of the year.

Artisticat
July 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I agree that Anne Hathaway's short boy cut was the worst hairstyle of the year.

Me too...especially the bleached blonde look.

I saw one comment to that article that kinda bothered me (just a teeny tiny bit) as I'm older and worry about this myself sometimes.
But not worried enough to cut my hair! Never heard of "1661" before!

Daily Mail article comment: :steam
"I'd rather have short, sassy, sexy hair like Judi Dench, than "1661" hair -- when an older woman looks 16 years old from behind and 61 when she turns around."

Killahkurlz
July 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I know I plan on keeping my hair long when I am older! Who cares what other people think, if it makes you happy! I know you said you didn't want to cut your hair, but would it help if your hair was somewhat shorter, but still decently long? I hope you find a way to enjoy your hair again :)

agreed. when my hair gets as long as I want it I don't think I'd cut it short again. definitely not shorter than mbl. It's a lot of work to grow healthy hair so I don't want to lose any of it. If I get "too old" to care for my hair, I'll start free form locs and keep it growing from there.

majesticmoon
July 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I hope to have long hair when im old. Think about it how many old women get compliments however an old woman with long hair still does "your hair is so pretty, long etc".

Anne10
July 27th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah... "1661" is a well-known term in soCal. I hate it, too.

skyblue
July 27th, 2013, 05:16 PM
my ends are like yours, I'm 53 and my hair is thin too, but like someone said up there... "I have a long hair personality" and it really doesn't matter that I don't have --ware it down worthy hair-- lol, I love the way it feels when it is down, and I have managed to get it to classic!! But then I trimmed almost 3 inches on the solstice and its coming back much nicer then it was, at least you can see my ends now!! Oh and for that slippery hair thing, I went back to using claw clips, they hold and thats fine with me, I use sticks when my hair is starting to get to needing washed, it holds real well then
The main thing is you do what feels right for you, don't let others make you feel you should do anything your not comfortable with

chen bao jun
July 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I am almost 56. I started growing my hair long last year because I can't imagine having short hair as an older lady. You need LONG hair to wear the sophisticated French rolls, chignons and updoes that look so sophisticated as you get on in years.
as for 1661, they may mean that as an insult but surely it's a compliment? If a 61 year old lady has the body of a 16 year old, that's really something to have managed! I personally feel quite flattered when people see me from behind and think I'm much younger--means I've kept my figure, no?

chen bao jun
July 27th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Castor really works on thinning hair, especially Jamaican black castor oil but also cold-pressed organic castor oil. My 83 year old mother was very depressed last year and began wearing a wig because her hair was thinning so badly that she actually had bald spots and the whole front was broken off and not an inch long long, up to the middle of her head. She started massaging with JBCO and by February (she started in September) the bald spots filled in and the broken front had grown a great deal. I just saw her again two weeks ago and her hair has gotten really thick in less than a year (plus grown). I would check for health issues definitely and nutritional deficiencies but also buy a bottle of JBCO on Amazon.com and see where you are in six months. My mother is almost twice your age, OP. the oil does not smell or anything like that--does feel a bit gummy but totally worth it for the increased thickness and softness in texture.

Artisticat
July 27th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I am almost 56. I started growing my hair long last year because I can't imagine having short hair as an older lady. You need LONG hair to wear the sophisticated French rolls, chignons and updoes that look so sophisticated as you get on in years.
as for 1661, they may mean that as an insult but surely it's a compliment? If a 61 year old lady has the body of a 16 year old, that's really something to have managed! I personally feel quite flattered when people see me from behind and think I'm much younger--means I've kept my figure, no?

Great point Chen boa jun!!!! Love it! :toast:

Anne10
July 27th, 2013, 08:45 PM
What kind of hair does your mom have, chen bao jun?

chen bao jun
July 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM
What kind of hair does your mom have, chen bao jun?
Very curly, probably 4b. But your hair type does not matter with castor's oil help with thinning. I have a friend with type 1b hair who has been greatly helped too (but it was not as dramatic as my mom since she was just thinning slightly, didn't have actual bald spots like my mother did). I think its worth a try--certainly cannot hurt you.

Anne10
July 27th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks, I may give it a try. Need to to some more research. The shampoos I use are extremely gentle and designed to prevent any buildup from occurring so I'm not sure how they would work with the castor oil.

Silverbrumby
July 27th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Biosil and biotin really helped with my hair strength and condition. I'm around your age and my hair has gotten better with gentle care, no heat. The down side it will take possibly years for all the stronger hair to grow in. The upside is time will pass anyway and these supplements can also help with skin and nails.

Don't forget leave in conditioner and I use this great silicon argan oil leave in on my end.

Oh, micro trims are your friends.

DarleneH
July 28th, 2013, 09:15 AM
HikerTrash (cute name, by the way!), you just need to find the best care routine for your hair now. I can guarantee you there are much younger people who have a similar hair type as you have now. Your hair might have been a different texture or thickness when you were younger, or it could've just been the water where you lived in was different, the products you used then had different ingredients than what you use now, the environment you were in then compared to now is different, etc. All that affects the look of your hair, so it is not necessarily a matter of age. Just find good stuff that works with all the variables now and grow it as long as you want to!

DarleneH
July 28th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Also you can do a rope braid to wear under your helmet. To me this 2-strand braid is a lot easier to shake out quickly than the usual 3-strand braids. When I try to quickly undo a 3-strand braid, I tend to end up with a tangly mess; going slow works fine for those but not when I'm in a hurry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYc8rJe7kTo

This one shows making a braid to the side, but you can make two rope braids to each side then twist those two together in the back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEsAsToSsjo

Silver Sister
August 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Age is relative. You are a "spring chicken" compared to me. BTW, you have beautiful hair color.

catamonica
August 7th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Your hair is beautiful. I'm 57. And my hair is hip length. Your not to old. Try dehydrated minced onion
or (D) chopped onion. 2 capfuls in your shampoo & conditioner. I read online it makes your hair thicker.
I tried both. My hair feels thicker. It rinses right out.

long&blonde
August 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I'm 58 & a bit past tailbone. Agree that "1661" sounds like a compliment!

rrs
August 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
HikerTrash my hair texture looks very similar to yours, but I'm only at shoulder. I'd love to have your length.

I'm just not enjoying mine much at shoulder length. In a year I hope to like it, but I need to find a way to get through the year.

I'm 40, and I do think I have a bit of thinning going on. My thyroid is supposedly "normal" but I think it's a bit off because the Dr. was using an older range. I'm in the process of checking on that further.

In the meantime, I'm really tempted to try some minoxidil for the thinning. Anyone have any experience with it?

weeza
September 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
TOO OLD? Since when are we required to be anything but what we want to be? There are no rules on what makes each of us feel beautiful, so ignore all the advertising and stereotypes.
My goal is to have a big bun of gray hair on my head at the end of my life, I think that is beautiful

Andeee
September 22nd, 2013, 01:18 AM
I agree with everyone else--there is no such thing as too old! I'm 49 and it's waist length and thick. A couple years ago it got really thin and a lot fell out and I thought maybe it's my thyroid or perimenopause causing hormonal changes. It turns out after having my blood work done that I was just severely anaemic. I thought I was super healthy and my diet was good, but fibroids were causing too much blood loss during my periods. So even if you think you're diet and lifestyle is healthy I'd still get checked out. 48 is too young to be experiencing that much thinning in your hair, in my opinion.

Kwantslonghair
September 22nd, 2013, 05:30 AM
You are never too old for long hair. I am 53 an my hair is waist length. The condition of my hair has improved greatly since coming here. Try oiling your ends but don't use too much. I used way too much when I started. I just use a tiny drop on my ends and then later in day if it looks like my hair has absorbed it all I add a bit more. This has worked for mine. I micro trim as well. I wear mine down unless I am house cleaning or it's windy.

Lunearia
September 22nd, 2013, 05:31 AM
You're never too old for long hair.
Never.

fiđrildi
September 22nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
I once met a very old lady who had such a long, healthy white hair... she was so beautiful, with her blue eyes and deep wrinkles, and I hope my hair will one day look that healthy and long... she's some kind of inspiration for me, I want to be a long white haired granny!
I am only 22, but I didn't take the proper care my hair needed, so what's most important is what we do with what we have, and how much care we put on it.
I hope you'll soon reach you hair goals :)

Carolyn
September 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
You are never too old for long hair. You eventually realize you are old enough to decide you pick your hair style and length without interference from others. Do what you want with your hair and ignore any naysayers.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 22nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
A couple of weeks ago I met a 98 year old woman who had APL length hair. I know that isn't REALLY long, but it is compared to most elderly women in this part of the world.

Twig
May 23rd, 2016, 08:13 AM
I'm almost 54, and I'm tall. I've seen what short hair looks like on me. I look like a pinhead, and it's really wavy, so I need the weight to pull the wave down. Now the comments are starting and I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but everyone, and that includes my hairdresser, who does a really good job on my hair, keeps suggesting I get it cut into "something cuter and lower maintenance." Truth be told, it's less work this way, but the comments (I know, I know) are starting to just chap my a**. So I'm thinking of finding a long hair salon (suggestions for northwest Indiana welcome) and am coming to the conclusion that some people just don't think before opening their traps.

Wildcat Diva
May 23rd, 2016, 08:20 AM
Twig, I support you completely. Most of us here don't go to salons, anyway. I think I'm gonna let my hubby trim my fairy-tailed ends at some point (around classic length?).
I am eight years your junior.

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
I'm almost 54, and I'm tall. I've seen what short hair looks like on me. I look like a pinhead, and it's really wavy, so I need the weight to pull the wave down. Now the comments are starting and I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but everyone, and that includes my hairdresser, who does a really good job on my hair, keeps suggesting I get it cut into "something cuter and lower maintenance." Truth be told, it's less work this way, but the comments (I know, I know) are starting to just chap my a**. So I'm thinking of finding a long hair salon (suggestions for northwest Indiana welcome) and am coming to the conclusion that some people just don't think before opening their traps.

I am 11 years your senior and grew it out from chin with the support of all the lovely peep here :thumbsup:

Is it possible to just grow it out until you can trim it yourself...or a friend can help; unless you find a trusted stylist?

That's what I did; haven't seen the inside of a salon in over 3 years!

The only way to know is to do it; you can always cut it back layer if you want.

There was plenty of discouragement and doubters here; I immersed myself in new styles and hair toys and enjoyed EVERY STAGE of growing out.

Now at 65 with silver hair @ Hip, I am totally happy...and in control of my own hair!

Welcome ~ good luck ~ happy growing :cheer:

Anya15
May 23rd, 2016, 11:11 AM

If you want to have long hair, no one has the right to tell you that you're too old for it. Look at Sarahlabyrinth and Groovy Granny, they have such fabulous luxuriant manes. :crush:

If you are worried about how it looks, maybe try a moisture treatment and perhaps micro trims to thicken the ends? :flower:

Cg
May 23rd, 2016, 11:14 AM

I was older than you when I began growing my hair long again. I’m also tall, scrawny, and have a pinhead. So what? The longer my grey hair gets, the more I like it. If long hair is what you want, you will enjoy yours too.

You can learn to tune out and dismiss unsolicited advice. “You may very well be right” is both gracious and ambiguous.

Most longhairs avoid hair salons, and if you read some of these threads and begin experimenting, you'll surely find a system that your hair responds well to. I found a trusted friend to trim my hair until it was long enough to do myself.

Welcome, good luck, and have fun!

Anje
May 23rd, 2016, 12:05 PM
Hey, another Hoosier! (I guess I'm a Hoosier now, right? I've lived here long enough...) Unfortunately, I can't help much on the salon thing, as I've just switched to trimming my own hair as needed. But I felt like saying hi.

kuroi
May 23rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
I don't think anyone is ever to old to have long hair if they want to. It doesn't matter what other people think or say. Do whatever makes you happy.

Mimha
May 23rd, 2016, 01:24 PM
Hi Twig !

I am 51 and my politic is "don't mind the people who mind, and mind the people who don't mind". It's your hair. It's your head. It's your life. They are free not to like it and you are free not to mind^^

Concerning the fact of being too old, in my family old ladies were all mountain farmers and traditionally had long hair in a braided bun. My grand-mother, her sisters and all my ancestors hardly ever cut or trimmed their hair. And when I was a kid, me and my cousins all had around TBL braided hair. But in the city, old ladies had permed curled short hair, and from as far as I remember, I always asked myself why they thought it necessary to have their hair styled that way, :silly: because for the kid I was, they just looked like cauliflowers. Ha ha ha ha !

Qz
May 23rd, 2016, 01:47 PM

Boy, can I relate! I'm 57 and 6' tall, and have a little pinhead too, so having short hair makes me look more like a teenage boy than an older lady. The last time I went to a hairdresser was to have my short do shaped so I could grow out my virgin color (ha, gray!) just over 3 years ago. I didn't even trim it after that until it was long enough to bring around to the front so I could see it and I won't let anyone else go hacking away at it now.

The concept that older ladies should cut their hair short has to be relatively recent as in the last 50 years or so. When I was a real little kid it was pretty normal to see older ladies with their hair up in buns and not as typical to see short haired ones, and the young women had their hair short for the most part. So from about the 1950s and before (probably as long as there's been old ladies around) old ladies mostly did have long hair. Like I'm going to have too... :laugh: No more short cuts for me, and I don't care who says what about it either...

Kirby-oh
May 23rd, 2016, 01:57 PM
It goes in waves I assume. Women wear their hair short and younger women wear it long and then when they get older people think they should wear it short, but for the women with short hair, short was the style when they were younger and older women had long hair...

The other question for the men here is, when is your hairline too high for long hair...

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2016, 02:23 PM
My grandmother (and mother) had permed white hair; I looked like them with my wurly hair cut short.
I loved them both but :tmi: NO cutting for this old bird :laugh:

Qz
May 23rd, 2016, 02:52 PM
Oopsie duplicate

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2016, 02:54 PM
Maybe it is a generational thing, my mother has short permed hair, and has always kept her hair short, and my grandmother and her mother had long hair in older age, although my grandma did have her hair bobbed in the 20s. My other grandma always had hers short, she bobbed it in the 20s too and never wore it any other way until she died at 99, but her mother had long red hair (she was Irish) that she never cut, and always wore it up.
It could be the area of the US too; some areas seemed more inclined to wear it that way :shrug:

Qz
May 23rd, 2016, 02:54 PM
It goes in waves I assume. Women wear their hair short and younger women wear it long and then when they get older people think they should wear it short, but for the women with short hair, short was the style when they were younger and older women had long hair...

The other question for the men here is, when is your hairline too high for long hair...

My grandmother (and mother) had permed white hair; I looked like them with my wurly hair cut short.
I loved them both but :tmi: NO cutting for this old bird :laugh:

Maybe it is a generational thing, my mother has short permed hair, and has always kept her hair short, and my grandmother and her mother had long hair in older age, although my grandma did have her hair bobbed in the 20s. My other grandma always had hers short, she bobbed it in the 20s too and never wore it any other way until she died at 99, but her mother had long red hair (she was Irish) that she never cut, and always wore it up.

Qz
May 23rd, 2016, 02:56 PM
That could be too GG, my folks were all southern bred although we lived in Colorado back then.

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2016, 03:07 PM
That could be too GG, my folks were all southern bred although we lived in Colorado back then.

Yup....and I am in the Northeast; you never see buns here lol

littlestarface
May 23rd, 2016, 03:36 PM
This thread reminds me of the golden girls :lol: I remember watching episodes growing up and now and thinking I wonder why they all have such short hair? I thought are all older ladies supposed to have short hair once we get a certain age? But I guess in the 80s short hair was rocked alot especially shoulder pads boy do i not miss those loool.. Looked great on them tho especially dorothy XD

I always wondered how rose would've looked with maybe bsl hair and in a braid :D

Older women in my family ah let's see I only had 2 on my mom side they're both passed, dunno bout my dads side. My great grandma had very short hair, she would hack it off herself. My grandma hacked hers off when she was 20 cuz her husband pulled it to ask her for something after that she never grew her hair again :rolleyes: My mom is 50s and she has hers about hip length but she usually hacks hers too cuz shes a curly and she hates her hair.

So hacking off hair when angry runs in my family

omega
May 23rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
You keep on growing it. Or, as my SO says, "keep growing it until it is long enough for you."
What a cool attitude!

Peggy E.
May 23rd, 2016, 03:50 PM
This thread is so long, I'm not sure my addition means much.

I'm 64 and in the past year my hair has gone insane. Until this time, it had still been rather thick, though the ends were getting straggly - considering it was down beyond my tailbone, this was not exactly something over which I was too concerned.

Then I turned 63 and my hair went to hell in a handbasket. The once "complaining because it was so soft" became "it's like straw!" I trimmed it down to just below bra strap length in hopes of getting the crackly, sparse ends fixed and it would grow out with thicker ends.

Wrong. It's doing the exact same thing again, only now it's too short for my go-to long hair updoes. Can you say "frustrated out of my mind??!"

So, dear originator, I feel your pain, for it is mine. And my health has been a mess for the past 30+ years, so can't even blame it on this.

But I will say this, long means I can hide it, at least. Whereas short would mean it would be a sticking out mess all over my head and all I could do would be to bury it under a nice scarf.

Cg
May 23rd, 2016, 04:14 PM
Boy, can I relate! I'm 57 and 6' tall, and have a little pinhead too, so having short hair makes me look more like a teenage boy than an older lady. The last time I went to a hairdresser was to have my short do shaped so I could grow out my virgin color (ha, gray!) just over 3 years ago. I didn't even trim it after that until it was long enough to bring around to the front so I could see it and I won't let anyone else go hacking away at it now.

The concept that older ladies should cut their hair short has to be relatively recent as in the last 50 years or so. When I was a real little kid it was pretty normal to see older ladies with their hair up in buns and not as typical to see short haired ones, and the young women had their hair short for the most part. So from about the 1950s and before (probably as long as there's been old ladies around) old ladies mostly did have long hair. Like I'm going to have too... :laugh: No more short cuts for me, and I don't care who says what about it either...

:thumbsup:

Bergelmir
May 23rd, 2016, 04:23 PM

In general everyone may suffer some depletion of the hair when getting older, regardless of sex. However, certainly males are more vulnerable, especially when it comes to the loss of the hairline. Women may suffer a general depletion but not much at the hairline.

However, when it comes to my own experience it matters a lot how someone is treating their hairs. No secret that it can become a explosive bag of bad stuff when a male is constantly using some heavy braid or bun able to put excessive load on the weak spot known as front of the hairline. Those hairs will get just way to much stress and the risk of loss is increased a good margin. So, especially for male i do recommend not to put any load on the front hairline and best is to leave them be. Instead they could be fixed so they do not cover the face but i would not braid or bun the front part and always give it some special treatment, remember; A stitch in time saves nine.

Regarding me, i do not worry because i got good genetics, and now the correct treatment (more or less) including mental shape for not having any real risk. My dad is almost 66 and he didn't suffer any hairline losses, actually as good as no losses at all, almost a miracle but stuff like this do exist. I had some minor loss but i know the reason; I was putting major load on them by several factors: Bad psychological, bad body condition and bad hair treatment (always load on the front and i was dragging on them when combing). Anyway, the matter has changed and since i was solving all issues my hairline loss almost completly recovered, i even had several new growth the past 1-2 weeks, so it's still regenerating but i have to stop being stupid and all will be good. It clearly can be said, "show me your hair and i tell you your grade of overall vitality" hair simply are able to reflect so much. The good thing is, there is so many possible improvements. so the age is just one of many worse factors and nothing able to become ultimate.

I surely can recommend:
1. Getting ride of to much stress, also be positive. As long as a issue can't be fixed, it's no use to worry and it will only attack the hair even more.
2. Paying lot of attention to healthy and still tasty food. In term no healthy and tasty food can be found it may be a mental issue that could be fixed slowly.
3. Good hair treatment, avoiding chemicals as much as possible and never let the scalp become to dry. Not putting to much physical load on weak spots.

Sure, good genetics helps a lot but in the end it's always the healthy mix with biggest effect and not a single matter.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 23rd, 2016, 04:24 PM
No, you aren't too old to have long hair but you are too old to believe such a silly notion ;)

dulce
May 23rd, 2016, 04:33 PM
I agree with Sarahlabyrinth above.I am a bit older than my past post on here.Recent health problems have thinned my hair a bit now but am still keeping it long.I see many youngsters with long thin hair also.Why does long hair have to be thick only to have it?Try a french twist for a nice long hair style..