PDA

View Full Version : To much oil/hydration?

Bellechevelure
July 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hi everyone!

I just saw a video on youtube who say that to much oil and hydration product can damage your hair (my hair are a little bit dry). So I want to know if my routine have too much of that. My hair are VERY thin/fin, they are wavy (2b) and they are between waist and hip lenght.

My routine :

- I wash my hair every 2/3 days.

- EACH time a do a pre/wash (like a applied coconut oil overnight or a do a hair mask with olive oil, egg, etc.).

- I only shampoo my scalp with a shampoo for greasy hair (the shampoo have cone and sulfate but he is the only one I find who works well :/ ).

- I applied a conditioner for dry and damage hair with no cone and no sulfate on my lenght.

- I use a leave-in-conditioner by rusk.

- I don't comb/brush my hair when it's wet (in fact I never use a brush).

Have a good night girls or a good morning :P

MeganE
July 17th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Can you share the video?

heidi w.
July 17th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Um, it's easy to moisturize hair without too much effort. I have a youtube video on how Little oil I use when I used to oil my long hair which I no longer have, but I know a lot about hair. Use a good conditioner on the length ONLY, leave it on for 3-5 minutes and rinse out.
Then when the hair is dry, oil it with a teensy bit of oil. You don't need a whole vat of oil.
Heidi w.

jeanniet
July 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM
It's possible to over-moisturize your hair, but that won't damage it. Most people with curly hair use a LOT of conditioner--CO, plus rinse out as well as leave in--because curly hair needs the extra moisture. Oils don't moisturize; they just help to hold moisture in. No one can really tell you if you're using enough conditioner or not, because it depends on your hair. Everyone is different, so if your routine is working for you, then stick with it.

Tori Angeli
July 17th, 2013, 06:00 PM
From what I understand, "overconditioning" isn't really an excess of moisture so much as a lack of protein. If you're using a product with protein in it or just getting enough from your diet, you probably aren't in any danger of that. But really, go with what your hair likes best. There's no single formula that works for all people. I do a deep condition with sweet almond oil for an hour almost every day, co-wash, and do a vinegar rinse, and my wavy hair can never get enough of the moisture.

meteor
July 17th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Oil is occlusive so it traps the water in and out of the hair. For example, if you coat your hair with oil right after washing it, you will keep the water in and your hair may feel be stretchy/overmoisturized. If you oil your hair when it's dry, it will just keep humidity out.
Putting humectants (glycerin, honey, aloe vera, etc) on hair when the dew points are low (usually cold winter) may dry out your hair by drawing water out of your hair to the humectant. Putting humectants on hair when the dew points are high (usually in humid summer) may attract humidity to the hair and give you frizz.
Moisture balance is a tricky thing to attain, but you can judge by how your hair feels and experiment from there. If it feels nice and bouncy and shiny, you got the balance right.

jacqueline101
July 17th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I agree you can over do the oiling but I don't think it's too damaging. It makes your hair oily. A little oil goes along ways.

teddygirl
July 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Are you french? I read all your posts in a french accent (in my head lol).

I dont think it sounds like youd have too much moisture, but i think you can test it by using a shed hair, and stretching it. If it stretches for a very long time without breaking it may be over moisturized. If it snaps too soon, it would be too much protein.

Bellechevelure
July 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM
MeganE, I can share the video but he is in french. :/

Teddygirl, I am from Québec, the only province in Canada who speak french. But we don't have the same accent as the french of France :P

heidi w., I already apply my conditioner and oil just on the lenght. I think I use a good conditioner, In fact it's the best I never try. I am in love with it (DBF you have competition). But thank you, i know you know a lot about hair (I just have to look at your beautiful locks).

meteor, your post was very helpful, I learn a lot of things. :)

Ordinary, my hair are not that dry but it's maybe the weather. In my region, in winter, it can be -30 degrees celsius with no humidity at all and today it was 35 degrees celsius with 60% of humidity.

Firefox7275
July 17th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Maybe message the person on YouTube and ask for a link to the published research supporting his claims. If he cannot provide it he is talking rubbish, if he can link to it here and we can read the research. In theory too much oil could attract dust and dirt which could damage the hair on combing by increasing friction, too much conditioner could keep the hair damp most of the time which weakens the protein structure. You'd know about it if your hair was clogged with oil or overconditioned, your hair would not feel right at all.

Bellechevelure
July 17th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Firefox7275, after my hair care routine my hair feel very very good. It's the second and third day they feel more dry :/

jeanniet
July 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM
From what I understand, "overconditioning" isn't really an excess of moisture so much as a lack of protein. If you're using a product with protein in it or just getting enough from your diet, you probably aren't in any danger of that. But really, go with what your hair likes best. There's no single formula that works for all people. I do a deep condition with sweet almond oil for an hour almost every day, co-wash, and do a vinegar rinse, and my wavy hair can never get enough of the moisture.

Well, it's an excess of moisture in relationship to protein, lol, but yes, it signifies a need for protein. :)

Tori Angeli
July 17th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Well, it's an excess of moisture in relationship to protein, lol, but yes, it signifies a need for protein. :)

Oh, I see. I knew there was a protein problem in there somewhere.

Bellechevelure
July 17th, 2013, 08:26 PM
So I am in a lack for protein?

Leeloo
July 17th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I'm no help with advice just wanted to chime in and say that it seems so difficult to figure out the moisture balance (or it might be just me).

Bellechevelure
July 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Leeloo, I am so agree with you! And my hair break so easily even if I treat them like my baby -_-

Firefox7275
July 18th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I'm no help with advice just wanted to chime in and say that it seems so difficult to figure out the moisture balance (or it might be just me).

Leeloo, I am so agree with you! And my hair break so easily even if I treat them like my baby -_-

To both of you: it really helps if you know your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity) and your dew points/ humidity then choose ingredients and products based on that. There is still trial and error but not half as much. Whilst there is a protein-moisture balance (I prefer protein-conditioning balance since it is not all about water), protein does not cancel out an excess of humectants (moisture/ water attracting) nor do occlusives/ anti humectants.

What people describe as dry hair often does not need more water, it's actually lacking in elasticity and/ or has a raised cuticle. What people assume is needing moisture (= water) can instead be needing more true conditioners or penetrating oils. Sometimes the issue is build up of either products or minerals from hard water. A lot of people don't consider their routine as a whole, using wall-to-wall shea butter or wall-to-wall humectants.

If your hair breaks easily try coconut oil and/ or hydrolysed protein, depending on your hair properties.

Tori Angeli
July 18th, 2013, 07:13 AM
To both of you: it really helps if you know your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity) and your dew points/ humidity then choose ingredients and products based on that. There is still trial and error but not half as much. Whilst there is a protein-moisture balance (I prefer protein-conditioning balance since it is not all about water), protein does not cancel out an excess of humectants (moisture/ water attracting) nor do occlusives/ anti humectants.

What people describe as dry hair often does not need more water, it's actually lacking in elasticity and/ or has a raised cuticle. What people assume is needing moisture (= water) can instead be needing more true conditioners or penetrating oils. Sometimes the issue is build up of either products or minerals from hard water. A lot of people don't consider their routine as a whole, using wall-to-wall shea butter or wall-to-wall humectants.

If your hair breaks easily try coconut oil and/ or hydrolysed protein, depending on your hair properties.

This makes a ton of sense! For all I hear about how oil doesn't moisturize, all the humectants in the world barely helped with my "dry" hair. Oilings are what have improved it in leaps and bounds, and those seem to help me more when done on totally dry hair.

Firefox7275
July 18th, 2013, 07:37 AM
This makes a ton of sense! For all I hear about how oil doesn't moisturize, all the humectants in the world barely helped with my "dry" hair. Oilings are what have improved it in leaps and bounds, and those seem to help me more when done on totally dry hair.

I'm glad it does.

Humectants absolutely have their place, but if overdone or used in the wrong dew points/ humidity they can draw water out of the hair instead of out of the air towards the hair, or draw too much water to the hair making it swell and frizz. That does work the same for almost any ingredient, you can overdo oils or butters, overdo protein, etc. Too often people claim their 'hair' hates aloe/ protein or coconut oil and it turns out they have been using it straight up, not as an ingredient in a balanced routine. I think of it like a balanced diet: three apples three times every day is not healthy, nor does it cancel out the damage done by eating nutrient devoid junk the rest of the time.