PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Gladiator hair

Becky9679
July 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I've just joined a gladiator re-enactment group and I need to think of a good way to wear my hair. My 'character' is probably going to end up being Celtic or Germanic, basically something that the Romans would have considered a barbarian, so it doesn't need to be an overly complicated updo, just something vaguely authentic that will also keep it out of my way.

Any ideas?

CousinItt
July 16th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Look up Elling woman hairstyle for something traditional for Germanic women or suebian knot for men.

leslissocool
July 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Look up viking hairstyles! History channel's vikings, there is a thread about it.

Seriously, a braided mohawk would be awesome. Think braids, frown braids and twisted. Even the hunger game's braids would be good or game of throne hairstyles. Braids and twist braids, kind of like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNnFhhEDg-JLdbu8HwKE4WSh8a09Naqt5aEut7Um9HzEwT5fj-

oatmealpie
July 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM
A Celtic knot bun, possibly with some smaller braids leading into it and/or tendrils curling down would be lovely.

elrost
July 16th, 2013, 07:03 PM
One of my favourite you tubers Ladollyvita33 has this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz4vsGL5e9w
It's based off of a History channel show called vikings, so while not really from the exact region you mentioned, still really captures that awesome "barbaric" look.

Have fun!

Becky9679
July 17th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Thank you for the comments guys! elrost that tutorial is AWESOME I'm definitely going to have to give it a try. Never mind when I'm doing re-enactments, that'd be a cool style to wear in everyday life :p

intrigued
July 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Part of the reason I (a male) have been interested in trying to grow my hair out a little has been for that "barbarian" look. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any other ideas on that kind of styling for men. The suebian knot is an interesting one that I think I'd seen before, though I'll caution anyone who searches around for it to not go clicking on the harmless looking picture of a father and daughter on a sphynx statue, which apparently leads you to a site that is apparently very pro-racism. That was fun to find out on a lunch break at work.

CousinItt
July 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Part of the reason I (a male) have been interested in trying to grow my hair out a little has been for that "barbarian" look. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any other ideas on that kind of styling for men. The suebian knot is an interesting one that I think I'd seen before, though I'll caution anyone who searches around for it to not go clicking on the harmless looking picture of a father and daughter on a sphynx statue, which apparently leads you to a site that is apparently very pro-racism. That was fun to find out on a lunch break at work.
Gah! Sorry about that. I didn't know that link was out there :( it never fails when searching for something Germanic, the icky racist websites pop up.

intrigued
July 18th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Not your fault at all, my internet sense failed me. Chalk that up as a learning experience. Still glad to see it posted and interested in anyone else's ideas.

Merlin
July 18th, 2013, 07:50 AM
As you almost certainly know, information on women gladiators is as rare as hen's teeth. Beyond the fact that there were some, and that some of them were Roman rather than from outside the empire there isn't much to go on. The sources suggest they're a novelty act, designed to be slightly shocking and titilating, rather than a main event. How much that influenced what their owners (or at best their trainers) picked for them to wear is debatable - but I wouldn't be surprised if they were overly clearly female.

Becky9679
July 18th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah, as sources are rather sketchy we'll be taking a bit of poetic licence with what I wear, my fighting style and who I fight (it's generally thought that women gladiators only fought other women or sometimes dwarves but as I'm the only woman in our group so far I'll have to fight the blokes). I certainly don't intend on doing it topless as it's believed gladiatrixes did!

WilfredAllen
July 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
I have no suggestions but omfg that sounds fun!