PDA

View Full Version : Hair Mousse/Gel Destroys Hair?

ChristmasFnatic
July 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Is it ok to use them for days I need my hair to be... tamed, etc?

Or do they still cause significant damage? And if so, which hair products are safe for such occasions that requires grooming?

MANY THANKS!

Emanuelle
July 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I use gel after every wash (I follow the Curly Girl method). First I scrunch in some leave in conditioner, then I seal, and then I scrunch in quite a lot of gel. All when it's still wet. When it's gotten dry, I scrunch the hard gel out and my hair becomes soft again. I can tell you it doesn't damage my hair AT ALL. It gives me frizz free curls (it holds the hair in place while it's drying, and when you let your hair dry in a certain ''position'' it stays that way (to an extent)), shiny hair, and definition.

I guess gel only damages your hair if it has harmful ingredients ;)

Beborani
July 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Good ones have mostly conditioning ingredients and some polymers (natural or synthetic) to hold the curl. The only time it may cause damage is if you try to comb/brush it out after it dries but that is not recommended.

Covet
July 16th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Why not try flaxseed gel?

melusine963
July 16th, 2013, 03:10 PM
The only time it may cause damage is if you try to comb/brush it out after it dries but that is not recommended.

THIS!!! I thoroughly wrecked my hair by using mousse and then brushing it out. It took me years to grow out the damage. shudder:

Temme
July 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I second that some gels may have harmful ingredients. Also, it seems that some hair products make your hair look more moisterized (tamed) but end up drying it out in the long run. On the other hand, there are probably gels with moisturizing ingredients that are good for your hair.

jeanniet
July 16th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Like Emanuelle (hi!), I follow the CG method and use quite a lot of gel because of the wind here. If you avoid gels with drying ingredients and silicones, you shouldn't have a problem and the gel will wash right out.

Firefox7275
July 16th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Is it ok to use them for days I need my hair to be... tamed, etc?

Or do they still cause significant damage? And if so, which hair products are safe for such occasions that requires grooming?

MANY THANKS!

Damaging or not totally depends on the ingredients of the specific product, agree with the others don't brush out styling products. Gentle natural alternatives include flaxseed or okra jelly, some use aloe vera gel but being a humectant (attracts water) it is not suitable for all dew points.

jacqueline101
July 16th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I'd try to get one that conditions.

junglenavaar
July 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM
THIS!!! I thoroughly wrecked my hair by using mousse and then brushing it out. It took me years to grow out the damage. shudder:

same here. i'm still waiting for my hair to heal as it grows out. i dont use hair spray, mousse, or gel anymore. maybe wax would work though?

kysgrl
July 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I cant imagine it would cause much if any.

samanthajenalyn
July 17th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I use gel after every wash (I follow the Curly Girl method). First I scrunch in some leave in conditioner, then I seal, and then I scrunch in quite a lot of gel. All when it's still wet. When it's gotten dry, I scrunch the hard gel out and my hair becomes soft again. I can tell you it doesn't damage my hair AT ALL. It gives me frizz free curls (it holds the hair in place while it's drying, and when you let your hair dry in a certain ''position'' it stays that way (to an extent)), shiny hair, and definition.

I guess gel only damages your hair if it has harmful ingredients ;)

I second that some gels may have harmful ingredients. Also, it seems that some hair products make your hair look more moisterized (tamed) but end up drying it out in the long run. On the other hand, there are probably gels with moisturizing ingredients that are good for your hair.

Which ingredients would be considered harmful?

Emanuelle
July 17th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Drying alcohols like alcohol denat., isopropyl alcohol, SD alcohols, alcohol, etc. Quite some gels have alcohol in them! (but keep in mind there are also good, fatty alcohols) Also, if you don't use sulfates, I would also avoid hard-to-wash-out ingredients like silicones, beeswax, paraffin, mineral oil, etc. Ingredients like sodium chloride, magnesium sulfate (both are salts) may also damage your hair and dry it out.

If you want to be sure your gel doesn't have any harmful ingredients, you should check out some gels you are interested in and look up the ingredients... or ask here :)

ChristmasFnatic
July 17th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks girls! Ill check the ingredients, take a pic then ask here ASAP.

How about mousse?

starlamelissa
July 17th, 2013, 06:53 AM
La looks sport gel and labella lots of curls are two cheap non damaging gels. I started a thread "in defense of hair gel" you might find interesting. Don't brush it out, and it's pretty neutral, even beneficial.

Beborani
July 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I have used paul mitchell mousse (medium hold--there are two kinds) for years with no ill effects and got perfect curls each time.

Medievalmaniac
July 17th, 2013, 08:02 AM
As others have said, don't brush it out or try to remove the mouuse or gel in any way once it has dried other than washing it out. Soak it for a minute or two in the shower/bath, and then use either shampoo or conditioner to wash it out. To prevent build up, try an ACV rinse every week or so. :flower:

MissAlida
July 17th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I use mousse twice a week, after washes. It only damages your hair, if you try to comb/ brush/ finger comb your hair with mousse in it. That is a MESS, trust me, I've done it. But never again. Gel and mousse makes strands stick together, that is how it holds the hair in place, makes curls look better. And if you try to separate these strands, you'll rip the cuticle off of them. If you leave it be until your next wash and only scrunch, comb the top part of your hair (where you shouldn't put any prodact, close to the scalp), then you'll be fine. :)

Mya
July 17th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks girls! Ill check the ingredients, take a pic then ask here ASAP.

How about mousse?

To find out about ingredients, check this site: http://www.tightlycurly.com/ingredients/

I don't often use gels/mousses, but when I do I use Nivea Flexible Curls Balm (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Kh8OTUTDL._SY300_.jpg). It's gentle, not sticky at all, gives good curl definition. Lots of its ingredients are fragrances but in fact its smell is simple and delicate, like freshly washed hands.

hippie girl
July 17th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I don't use it, but know that people use aloe vera gel for smoothing updos and flyaways, and as a curl enhancer.

I don't know how it compares to gel as far as damage goes, but it may be worth looking at as an alternative to regular mousse/gel.

Maybe someone who uses aloe can chime in.

samanthajenalyn
July 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I use Suave Volumizing Mousse, and it has always worked for me. Once it dries, and you scrunch it, its like there is almost nothing there and my hair is always very soft. I was wondering if any of the ingredients in it might be harmful in the long run?

Water (Aqua), Isobutane, Propane, Polyquaternium-4, Polyquaternium-11, Fragrance (Parfum), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Steareth-2, DMDM Hydantoin, Butane, Collagen, Folic Acid

ravenreed
July 17th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I think the same is true of hairspray. I occasionally use it without issue, but only because I never brush my hair until I have thoroughly washed out the hairspray with a SLS shampoo. I tried flaxseed gel and it flaked horribly on me, and AVG gives me split ends something wicked because of the dry air here. So, if I want hold I have to rely on more conventional hair care products.

jeanniet
July 17th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I use mousse twice a week, after washes. It only damages your hair, if you try to comb/ brush/ finger comb your hair with mousse in it. That is a MESS, trust me, I've done it. But never again. Gel and mousse makes strands stick together, that is how it holds the hair in place, makes curls look better. And if you try to separate these strands, you'll rip the cuticle off of them. If you leave it be until your next wash and only scrunch, comb the top part of your hair (where you shouldn't put any prodact, close to the scalp), then you'll be fine. :)

I suppose it depends on what you actually use. Once my hair is dry and I've scrunched the gel, I could comb my hair if I wanted to--I wouldn't, because that would break up the curl and defeat the whole purpose of using gel in the first place, but I could. My hairs aren't stuck together in the sense of being glued; the gel holds and shapes the curls together while they dry, but once scrunched they're not stuck together at all.

swearnsue
July 17th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I use pure aloe vera gel sometimes to help smooth my hair as I braid my hair before bedtime. I don't have curls, except for braid waves, but aloe is pretty safe and is so not-sticky you can brush it out even after it dries on your hair.

3 Cat Night
July 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I've never had mousse or gel damage my hair and I've been using various kinds for 20 years.

ChristmasFnatic
July 19th, 2013, 04:02 AM
MANY THANKS LADIES!!! Im goin to mall later to check some out!