PDA

View Full Version : Terrible shed please help?

AnnaB
July 16th, 2013, 08:33 AM
In the last month or so I have experienced an awful shed! I could have handfuls of hair coming out and its killing me.

I know its due to stress. I am currently having to write a 15000 word masters dissertation and moving on my own next month.

I take hair, skin and nails vitamins, wear my hair up 99% of the time. No heat, no dyes, no bad stuff and I try to eat healthy too. I don't know what I can do to make it stop?

My stress level wont ease until I have moved and even then I am moving for a stressful job.

I already lost half the circumference of the ponytail, I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME HELP :'( BEFORE I WENT BOLD :'(

Here is a picture how much hair I lose from brushing it with tangle teezer once. And I mean very gently getting it through my hair once and this how much comes out. Pen is for size comparison. I brush my hair twice a day so then thats doubled at least. This been going on for over a month now

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd503/Anna_Butyrina/9c9f412e-fc69-4b46-b2dc-7fb76f4f69f2_zps755f9a5e.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/Anna_Butyrina/media/9c9f412e-fc69-4b46-b2dc-7fb76f4f69f2_zps755f9a5e.jpg.html)

Kaelee
July 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
See a doctor...that is some extreme shedding!

Rebecka
July 16th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Oh, I thought I had been shedding a lot, are you sure it was half your ponytail circumference? Do you have thin hair? It should not be as much shed then. But half of your hair is a lot, I think you should see a doctor. Good luck!

AnnaB
July 16th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I do have fine and thin hair so although technically its a half to a person with normal or thick hair it wouldn't be alot if that makes sense :(

jacqueline101
July 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I'd go to the doctor.

Cowgirl16
July 16th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I am so sorry ((hugs)), I went through a terrible shed almost 3 years ago and I lost over half the hair on my head. I understand how horrible and scarey it can be; I cried all the time. I went from a iii circumference to barely a ii. I too had been stressed and also was in the hospital for an illness; it takes about 3 months for it to stop.
Continue to take your vitamins, it will stop and your hair will grow back. My hair was classic when it started and now it is past knee. I have quite a few hairs that are BSL but at least it is growing back.
If you want to pm me and talk about it I will be more than happy. It is not only stressful it is scarey. Good luck :flower:

Firefox7275
July 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Speak to your family doctor about a doctor's letter and/ or prescription - low dose beta blockers are often used for students with exam nerves, often no side effects due to the dose being so low, can be dipped in and out of not taken regularly if you don't want or need to. From personal experience they are MAGIC. Practice stress management techniques including daily physical activity (at least 10,000 steps every day), adjust your diet to make it anti stress (similar to very low glycaemic index/ anti inflammatory). Long chain omega-3s from oily fish and magnesium rich foods like chia/ pumpkin/ ground flax seeds are particularly important for stress.

Also speak to your tutor, no student should be expected to suffer stress to the level it affect their mental or physical health, with a doctor's note you may be able to apply for a penalty free extension to any deadlines.

AnnaB
July 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I have made an appointment to see my doctor on monday.

Here is a picture how much hair I lose from brushing it with tangle teezer once. And I mean very gently getting it through my hair once and this how much comes out. Pen is for size comparison. I brush my hair twice a day so then thats doubled at least. This been going on for over a month now :(

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd503/Anna_Butyrina/9c9f412e-fc69-4b46-b2dc-7fb76f4f69f2_zps755f9a5e.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/Anna_Butyrina/media/9c9f412e-fc69-4b46-b2dc-7fb76f4f69f2_zps755f9a5e.jpg.html)

verylittlecarro
July 19th, 2013, 05:14 PM
No real help, just sympathies. I had a big shed last September, and the relief when it stopped was huge. And less than a year later, the same is happening again. I'm shedding as much as your pic too. I'm trying to wait it out, but its awful.

Hope yours resolves soon.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
You have my sympathy. I too went through a major shed earlier this year after leaving an abusive marriage. My ponytail circumference went from 4.25 inches down to 3.5 inches. I was really panicking over it. But it has stopped and I am fairly confident it will grow back. I am now teaching myself to do styles which I couldn't do before because my hair was too thick. I'm sure yours will stop too. But I know it doesn't help you while your hair is still falling out.

Cowgirl16
July 26th, 2013, 10:12 AM
You have my sympathy. I too went through a major shed earlier this year after leaving an abusive marriage. My ponytail circumference went from 4.25 inches down to 3.5 inches. I was really panicking over it. But it has stopped and I am fairly confident it will grow back. I am now teaching myself to do styles which I couldn't do before because my hair was too thick. I'm sure yours will stop too. But I know it doesn't help you while your hair is still falling out.

If there is anything positive about a shed this is it...
:blossom:

Second Growth
July 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I logged in tonight to look for support because my hair is falling out,too! I loose at least as much as you are using a really wide tooth comeback or a Tangle Teaser. I feel panicky. I'm a little stressed be an unpleasant job situation, facing the decision to retire and a newly empty nest. Not of all those things are bad, but all are stressful.

I will take your advice and bring up the issue with my MD next week. I am reassured by all of you who said you have been through this and your hair is growing back. Thank you all!

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 11:54 PM
If stress is the cause of the shedding then you need to give your body as much nutrition as it needs concentrating on adaptogens like ginseng. Adaptogens are plants that decrease cellular sensitivity to stress. At times of high levels of stress these herbs help your body handle more stress without getting so depleted that physical manifestations arise like weaker immune system and hair fall. These supplements should be taken for the time the extra stress is present doc permitting.

stachelbeere
August 1st, 2013, 02:42 PM
AnnaB, I'm really sorry this has happened to you. I know this thread has been here for a while but I just wanted to say that I've been in the same situation for a few days - two weeks ago I was in quiet severe stress and I think this is the reason why I've been shedding like CRAZY (I comb out a similar amount of hair like you in one go). I really hope it will stop rather soon, I hate seeing all this hair go. I graduated this year and I have no idea what to do with my life (okay, I do, but it's scary as hell that real life has started and I don't feel ready to take responsibility of my life...)

Go to a doctor, try to feel more relaxed (I know it's easier to say than do), have happy thoughts and lightly massage your head to stimulate blood flow.
If you're not grossed out, collect your shed hair and make a hair doughnut out of it ;)

AnnaB
August 1st, 2013, 04:16 PM
double post

AnnaB
August 1st, 2013, 04:23 PM
AnnaB, I'm really sorry this has happened to you. I know this thread has been here for a while but I just wanted to say that I've been in the same situation for a few days - two weeks ago I was in quiet severe stress and I think this is the reason why I've been shedding like CRAZY (I comb out a similar amount of hair like you in one go). I really hope it will stop rather soon, I hate seeing all this hair go. I graduated this year and I have no idea what to do with my life (okay, I do, but it's scary as hell that real life has started and I don't feel ready to take responsibility of my life...)

Go to a doctor, try to feel more relaxed (I know it's easier to say than do), have happy thoughts and lightly massage your head to stimulate blood flow.
If you're not grossed out, collect your shed hair and make a hair doughnut out of it ;)

stachelbeere thank you :) unfortunately I am STILL shedding, just as bad. Had some blood tests done but still waiting on results. No thickness left now :(

I know what you mean about graduating and starting 'real' life. I am starting my big girl job in 18 days and I am terrified of moving to a different town and living with strangers and worrying if I'll be any good at the job. Oh well, we all have to go though it at some point.

Really hope your shedding has stopped, and good luck with going into the real world :)

I logged in tonight to look for support because my hair is falling out,too! I loose at least as much as you are using a really wide tooth comeback or a Tangle Teaser. I feel panicky. I'm a little stressed be an unpleasant job situation, facing the decision to retire and a newly empty nest. Not of all those things are bad, but all are stressful.

I will take your advice and bring up the issue with my MD next week. I am reassured by all of you who said you have been through this and your hair is growing back. Thank you all!

I totally understand the panic feeling *hugs*. I am also taking comfort in the stories that have been shared in this thread and just looking forward to my hair stopping shedding and growing back.

Hope your stressful situations will resolve soon too :)

Silverbrumby
August 1st, 2013, 10:04 PM
That's my normal daily shed for the past three years. I tracked my shed on and off and it's around 100 hairs a day. My ponytail has stabilized at 2.9

I would suggest measuring the ponytail. Even with all my shedding my ponytail is still the same

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2013, 01:01 AM
Are you using any stress management techniques? I highly recommend looking into them. Handling stress better helps with stress sheds. In particular, I like scheduling (figuring out roughly how long X will take, deciding how to spend my time so I make deadlines on all my projects, etc), meditation, and yoga. Yoga and meditation reduce the stress hormones in your body all day long, even if you're only doing it once a day. Half an hour to find your center and balance, to let go of all things but the Present Moment, or working your mind-body-spirit connection, can make a huge difference in how you feel.

~Blaze

stachelbeere
August 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
stachelbeere thank you :) unfortunately I am STILL shedding, just as bad. Had some blood tests done but still waiting on results. No thickness left now :(

I know what you mean about graduating and starting 'real' life. I am starting my big girl job in 18 days and I am terrified of moving to a different town and living with strangers and worrying if I'll be any good at the job. Oh well, we all have to go though it at some point.

Really hope your shedding has stopped, and good luck with going into the real world :)

AnnaB, you'll have a great time in this next chapter of your life, I know it's terrifying to leave your comfort zone but at the same time it'll be exciting to meet new people and start your adult life. You were (most probably) carefully chosen for that job you're about to start, they chose you, not anybody else. They think you've got the qualifications to do it! Once you've gotten to know your work colleagues and your work environment you'll be fine :) You'll most probably meet amazing and like-minded people there, too.
I hope your flat mates will be people you'll get on well with.

Anyway, good luck to you, too! I hope the blood tests will be back soon and that you'll be able to do something about this - fingers crossed.

xohbihitztix
August 2nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Eating raw garlic with lots of water and massaging your scalp with castor oil should help!

Eryniel
August 2nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
I moved away from home last September to start university and began to loose a lot of hair as soon as I got there. People said it was happening because of stress and the change it water from soft to hard. This shedding stopped after a couple of months, but I noticed that my hair got thinner which made me feel really bad. :(

However, scientifically, about 1/3 of the hairs on one's head at any given time have stopped growing and is ready to fall out, so maybe I and maybe also you lost/are losing hair because so much of our hair had/have reached that falling-out stage at the same time? I had lots of eyelashes falling out in April this year, but it stopped after a couple of weeks and now they've grown back. (For reference, my hair is 27,5' and I have extremely long eyelashes.)

I'm no expert, but I'm sure your hair will stop shedding soon and that it will grow back! Try not to worry and good luck! :)
You can always use some hair extensions for a while if you felt it necessary. You can think of that as a back-up so you don't have to feel so stressed out about the appearance of your real hair, if you are noticing a major difference in it.

(Note: I have very fine hair, and if I scratch my hair/head a tiny bit - even touch my scalp sometimes - I will loose a lot of hair! It's horrible. It just falls out, like the hair in your photo. So if you are scratching/touching your scalp, that might be the reason you're shedding. For me, it works like this now: no scratching/touching = no shedding. I can't use a Tangle Teezer for this reason, so I only comb my hair very gently with a wide teeth comb.)

stachelbeere
August 2nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
(Note: I have very fine hair, and if I scratch my hair/head a tiny bit - even touch my scalp sometimes - I will loose a lot of hair! It's horrible. It just falls out, like the hair in your photo. So if you are scratching/touching your scalp, that might be the reason you're shedding. For me, it works like this now: no scratching/touching = no shedding. I can't use a Tangle Teezer for this reason, so I only comb my hair very gently with a wide teeth comb.)

YES! My scalp does the same!!! do you have a massage technique for your scalp to stimulate growth? I would like to be able to do so :/

Eryniel
August 2nd, 2013, 02:03 PM
YES! My scalp does the same!!! do you have a massage technique for your scalp to stimulate growth? I would like to be able to do so :/

I'm quite relieved to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem!
To answer your question, unfortunately, no, I don't do scalp massage for the fear of losing lots of hair!
I literary can't touch my scalp without hair falling out. My hair grows very slowly, so while I'd also like to find something to help with the growth rate, I don't think scalp massage is the answer for us. :/

I hope this problem is not a permanent state for the hair, and that it will stop being like this some day. Hair is a tricky business. I had the curliest hair when I was a little girl with short hair, but then it turned straight, like 1c, from about the age of 7 when it was medium long. Then, suddenly, last year after my "stress shedding" or whatever it was, my hair returned to its curly state despite being below mid back. I'm a 2c now, and I like it since it makes my fine hair look thicker and more voluminous. Hopefully the scalp problem we both currently have will soon pass. In the meantime, I'll touch my scalp as little as possible. :)

stachelbeere
August 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm quite relieved to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem!
To answer your question, unfortunately, no, I don't do scalp massage for the fear of losing lots of hair!
I literary can't touch my scalp without hair falling out. My hair grows very slowly, so while I'd also like to find something to help with the growth rate, I don't think scalp massage is the answer for us. :/

I hope this problem is not a permanent state for the hair, and that it will stop being like this some day. Hair is a tricky business. I had the curliest hair when I was a little girl with short hair, but then it turned straight, like 1c, from about the age of 7 when it was medium long. Then, suddenly, last year after my "stress shedding" or whatever it was, my hair returned to its curly state despite being below mid back. I'm a 2c now, and I like it since it makes my fine hair look thicker and more voluminous. Hopefully the scalp problem we both currently have will soon pass. In the meantime, I'll touch my scalp as little as possible. :)

Wow, it's amazing how hair can change from straight to curly! If that is your picture in the avatar I must say you have such beautiful hair!!! It gives me hope that I might be able to grow it that long :)
I think I had a bit of a curl when I as a little girl but then my hair became darker and rather straight. And always short when I was a little girl, because it's more convenient I suppose...

I guess my scalp is not as sensitive as yours but scritching or massaging with this (http://estrip.org/content/users/theecarey/1209/Hair1218.jpg) makes my hair shed in clumps! My hair grows so slowly too, regretfully... and I don't touch my scalp with my fingers at all, I sometimes put pressure on my scalp with the palms of my hands and move the scalp, I also 'exercise' my scalp muscles, I don't know how to describe it more precisely.
I have never had any problems with my scalp, ever. it never gets itchy, dry, it's a good resilient scalp normally :D

I have a little confession to make. Last year, around March/ April I went no-poo and I noticed my hair thickening up. I could actually see a clear demarcation line of baby hairs. Fast forward to last weekend when I had a massive shed that lasted for a few days - most probably because I was briefly but severely stressed about two weeks ago. The shedding stopped now but I lost all of my 'baby hairs' from last year, especially from the top of my head (that area where hair can be parted). I am so sad about that. I lost lot of body and I can now sort of see my scalp...

Vrindi
August 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Good luck on your dissertation and the move and new job. I've been there and I know how it is. It will end! There has been some great advice already, but what worked for me was stress management. For me, that was chanting meditation. I highly recommend meditation of some form, there are many, many varieties out there. For some people, it's taking 15 minutes to walk somewhere pretty. Whatever you like, make it a part of every day. It will help.

As for your hair, I've been there too. Make sure you're actually eating enough— not just vitamins. It's easy to live off of slim-fast and vending machines in grad school. Real food is very important. Just take it a little bit at a time and you will get through it. Your hair will grow back!

AnnaB
August 6th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Thank you everyone who replied :) I greatly appreciate your support and kind words.

Got my blood work results back and I have abnormal iron levels. Way to much in my system. So they are doing more tests.

I looked the symptoms up and it includes hair loss too. But my doctor still thinks its stress.

Well, now we know what it is...lets see what happens next.

Thank you all :)

Good luck on your dissertation and the move and new job. I've been there and I know how it is. It will end! There has been some great advice already, but what worked for me was stress management. For me, that was chanting meditation. I highly recommend meditation of some form, there are many, many varieties out there. For some people, it's taking 15 minutes to walk somewhere pretty. Whatever you like, make it a part of every day. It will help.

As for your hair, I've been there too. Make sure you're actually eating enough— not just vitamins. It's easy to live off of slim-fast and vending machines in grad school. Real food is very important. Just take it a little bit at a time and you will get through it. Your hair will grow back!

Thank you. I do eat well, try to eat protein rich food like eggs, cottage cheese and beans. This mean to help the hair, lets hope it works.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure your hair will stop shedding soon and that it will grow back! Try not to worry and good luck! :)

Thank you :)