PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my hair type?

ExpectoPatronum
July 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I've never been able to figure out what the heck my hair is...so I'm turning to you guys for help.

This is my hair air dried without brushing/combing and no product:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2utq54x.jpg

My hair is both straight and wavy so, I can't figure out what type it is. (It's also frustrating to deal with. Urgh).

Thanks.

ETA: If I had gone through my hair routine as normal, it would be significantly less "wavy," but still wouldn't be stick straight. My hair straightens extremely well and will stay straight for days if I flat iron it, but it won't hold a curl if I tried to curl it.

DancingQueen
July 15th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Maybe try some avocado oil? My hair is more curly than yours, but whenever I use it, it gets even more curly. Just leave it in for two hours before you wash (not heated - just plain from the bottle). :)

Leeloo
July 15th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I'd say you are 2c M (distinct S waives with some spiral curls) and not sure about the thickness. If you search the archives for Fia's hair typing system, it is very informative.

ExpectoPatronum
July 16th, 2013, 12:07 AM
I was using Fia's hair typing system, but my hair varies so much depending on where you look, I wasn't sure what to make of it, if that makes sense.

I know my hair itself is medium-coarse. And I know my 'thickness' is a ii/iii (ponytail circumference = 4inches). I just have some layers that make the bottom taper a lot.

It's defining the darned curl pattern that's getting me. 2c does sound kind of like it. I figured I was in the 2 range somewhere.

DancingQueen, I'll have to look out for avocado oil. That sounds like some good stuff! Do you find it works better than coconut oil? That's what I use currently.

Mesmerise
July 16th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Your hair is sort of like mine... a weird mix of straight/curly. Therefore I'll go with 2a... but really that's just sort of an "average". I call myself 2a, but I've got hair ranging from 1b to maybe 2b/c... so I just go with 2a!

DancingQueen
July 16th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I was using Fia's hair typing system, but my hair varies so much depending on where you look, I wasn't sure what to make of it, if that makes sense.

I know my hair itself is medium-coarse. And I know my 'thickness' is a ii/iii (ponytail circumference = 4inches). I just have some layers that make the bottom taper a lot.

It's defining the darned curl pattern that's getting me. 2c does sound kind of like it. I figured I was in the 2 range somewhere.

DancingQueen, I'll have to look out for avocado oil. That sounds like some good stuff! Do you find it works better than coconut oil? That's what I use currently.

I mostly use coconut oil as well, as it is a bit lighter on the hair - it is great as a little extra moisture to the hair, and to smooth down frizz on dry hair. But you can tell advocadooil is more moisturizing, because it gives more curl to the hair. I would only use it as a deep conditioning treatment, though; and make sure you get it all out, or your hair will look greasy. Personally, I only use it when my hair needs extra moisture, but I think you could probably use it more often. :)

Firefox7275
July 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I'd say 2a/ 2b: it's normal to have more than one curl type on the same head, I run from 2a to 2c. With longer wavy hair I tend to ignore the roots section since the weight of the hair will pull that out anyway, I particularly look at the ends of the hair. http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid which penetrates better than the oleic acid in olive and avocado oils, being a smaller molecule. If your hair is low porosity you don't really need either. No oil is moisturising, they are water repellent/ occlusive/ anti humectants - penetrating oils can reduce the water held by the hair over time by reducing porosity.

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 16th, 2013, 07:43 PM
You look slightly wavier than me, and I'm a 2a at most, so maybe 2b?