PDA

View Full Version : Flax oil...

Mina_Harker
July 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM
My hair has been in a nasty state recently (NEVER AGAIN SHALL I DYE IT!!!) and is in some need of some TLC. Unfortunantly, I am all out of Olive Oil, and can't afford a trip to the store right now. I do however have a bottle of flax seed oil… I don't know WHY, but I do. Has anyone ever used it for a deep conditioning Oil treatment? If so with what results?

MermaidMane
July 16th, 2013, 01:13 AM
From my experience and from what I've heard any type of oil such as coconut, olive, argan, etc is good for your hair. Take about a palms amount and work it through the ends of damp hair. With the reminder massage it into your roots. This should stimulate growth by promoting circulation and make your hair shinier and in better condition.

jacqueline101
July 16th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Oils are good for the hair they add shine and improve the condition of your hair.

NoRush
July 16th, 2013, 04:24 AM
I love flaxseed oil for detangling and shine, I use it after every wash, not sure about the deep conditioning properties but it leaves the hair feeling really soft so it must be doing something ;)

CousinItt
July 16th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I've read that it's good for hair. I've only ever used it in a mix with olive and avocado oil, which I like a lot. It makes my hair soft and shiny.

Firefox7275
July 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
My hair has been in a nasty state recently (NEVER AGAIN SHALL I DYE IT!!!) and is in some need of some TLC. Unfortunantly, I am all out of Olive Oil, and can't afford a trip to the store right now. I do however have a bottle of flax seed oil… I don't know WHY, but I do. Has anyone ever used it for a deep conditioning Oil treatment? If so with what results?

Polyunsaturated fatty acids do not really penetrate the hair, that would be quite an expensive way to coat the surface. Fatty acids that are proven to penetrate are lauric acid (coconut, palm kernel, babassu, tucuma butter) and oleic acid (olive, avocado, sweet almond, argan) - coconut oil is the only one proven to reduce protein loss in colour treated hair, in the same study sunflower oil (polyunsaturated) did not do much
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf

meteor
July 16th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Flax seed oil may not be the best oil for hair for a few reasons, but it will probably be very beneficial.
Frankly, I'd rather take it internally, because it will help not only your hair, but your whole body.
It's a great sealant, so you can apply it straight after washing your hair as a natural detangler. Or use it as a hair masque.
Don't forget that flaxseed oil goes bad notoriously fast and needs to be kept in the fridge, so I suggest you check the date on the bottle, if it's been sitting there for a while.

Check this for ideas on how to use it:
http://superfoodprofiles.com/flaxseed-oil-strong-shiny-hair