PDA

View Full Version : Hair care routine for thin long hair

Bellechevelure
July 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone!

Everything is in the title. :P I just want to know what are you hair care routine if you have thin and long hair because I want to try new thing. I'm not sure my hair respond well to my actual routine so...

If a thread like that already exist, i'm sorry just redirect me please.

Thank you

Peggy E.
July 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
My "routine" includes Monistat, but I have really been losing my hair, due to illness and medications, over which I have no control. Am trying to fight back.

Otherwise, am trying to wash my hair as little as I can. Wear it up in hair-gentle styles - today I have it in a really cool ribbon-wrapped style using a ribbon wrapped in a figure 8 manner over one, then the other, of two strands of hair. Did this on both sides of my head, having secured my hair in two low-placed ponytails, then wrapping them over the top of my head and tying them in the back.

This is a comfortable, secure and very protective style that can stay in my hair for several days - and looks super cool, too!

I use a vinegar rinse and a light leave-in conditioner after washing. I try to go at least a week between washings, more if possible.

My hair is very soft and manageable, the ends look great - but it does me no good lying on the shower and bathroom floor. :o(

Bellechevelure
July 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Thank you for sharing your routine Peggy E and good luck with your fight back! :)

It's been a while since I want to start using a vinegar rinse as I leave-in-conditioner. Apple cider vinegar, is it a good one for that? I try to wash my hair less but it is hard with very greasy hair. :/

millyaulait
July 15th, 2013, 12:50 PM
My routine is pretty simple:

I shampoo once a week (sulfate free) after a pre-oiling treatment & then follow up with a nice conditioner. I use Biolage Conditioning Balm and leave it on for an hour, it's best used on very wet hair IMO.

I air dry my hair loose until it's 80% dry, then I pull it all up into a bun on the top of my head. When I take it out of the bun later (usually overnight) I find that it gives me some much needed volume and some waves that helps it look thicker.

Sometimes I will put the tiniest bit of coconut oil through the length and ends if they seem frizzy.

If my hair starts to get greasy between washes then I spritz it with steeped rooibos tea, this *really* gets rid of any greasiness for me - it's amazing! The only problem is that sometimes I can be a little overzealous with the spritzing and I can end up with red tea stains on my skin. :o

I have tried vinegar rinses but they seem to always leave a residue on me, sadly.

Bellechevelure
July 15th, 2013, 01:02 PM
That's interesting, i never heard the thing about the tea :O

kitemera15
July 15th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I have thin, fine hair and a scalp that gets greasy very quickly. I do a scalp only shampoo every 2-3 days, with a mild shampoo. I rotate the actual brand, but I stick with gentle, sulfate free shampoo that has the fewest number of hash ingredients/chemicals I can find. I condition the length with cone free conditioner (a few years back my hair started responding very poorly to cones). I condition from the ears down. With the exception of the ends, my hair keeps moisture fairly well, so I oil every 1-2 weeks with coconut oil. I recently started spraying my ends with shea, which seems to be giving them the boost they need to stay moisturized between conditioning.

I do use an occasional AVC rinse, but its not a regular part of my routine.

To help with the oil around my scalp between washes, I use a boar bristle brush (after detangling with a comb or my tangle teaser) to help spread and smooth the oil down the length of my hair. It has two sides- one with stiffer bristles that penetrate the hair and reach the scalp, the other with soft bristles that just skim along and smooth the top of the hair. I use the rough side followed by the soft side. This really helps manage the greasy look between washes.

Bellechevelure
July 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Kitemera15, can you, only if you want, tell me the name of the brand you use?

kitemera15
July 15th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'm definitely going to try that tea trick!

CurlyCaz
July 15th, 2013, 02:01 PM
My routine is pretty simple:

I shampoo once a week (sulfate free) after a pre-oiling treatment & then follow up with a nice conditioner. I use Biolage Conditioning Balm and leave it on for an hour, it's best used on very wet hair IMO.

I air dry my hair loose until it's 80% dry, then I pull it all up into a bun on the top of my head. When I take it out of the bun later (usually overnight) I find that it gives me some much needed volume and some waves that helps it look thicker.

Sometimes I will put the tiniest bit of coconut oil through the length and ends if they seem frizzy.

If my hair starts to get greasy between washes then I spritz it with steeped rooibos tea, this *really* gets rid of any greasiness for me - it's amazing! The only problem is that sometimes I can be a little overzealous with the spritzing and I can end up with red tea stains on my skin. :o

I have tried vinegar rinses but they seem to always leave a residue on me, sadly.

Can you explain the tea thing?

Like how many tea bags to water/ how long to leave tea bag in.

Sounds really interesting!

cosmic crusader
July 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
The littlest amount of manipulation as possible is what works for me. I stopped using combs, having long given up on brushes, which tear my hair, and detangle/de-shed under the shower head every few days. Since discontinuing shampoo, my hair is thicker and stronger. I alternate WO and tea/indian herb washing. I've also been loving washing with a simple aloe/honey mixture.

I found even braids caused breakage, so I'm either down or in a gentle bun wrapped into a scarf. Satin pillowcase, scalp massage daily, no heat, air-dry, just messing with it less in general has helped.

kitemera15
July 15th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Kitemera15, can you, only if you want, tell me the name of the brand you use?

I like Yes to..., Natures Gate, Trader Joes brand, and renpure, but with all of them you have to double check the ingredients. Most of them sell some products that are silicone or sulphate free, and some that are not.

honeybunnie8
July 15th, 2013, 02:21 PM
right now I dont have a wash routine. I was doing shampoo bars but they seem to dry out my hair so im back to sls free shampoo and suave conditioner. Which is a shame because the bars give my hair more body and bring out my wave where the normal stuff makes my hair like silk and it just slips out of everything which is a pain but it feels nice.:o
I sometimes add a drop of baby oil to my ends mostly on my underhair since it likes to tangle and I put it up with a flexi8 a lot. I have a toddler so I need it out of the way.
I have been experimenting with cassia and catnip to help with splits and volume. It seems to help since I haven't seen as many splits as I normally would.

I have a silk pillowcase and I put my hair up in a bun to sleep, no heat etc.

I bought some Jamaican Black Caster oil and I'm going to try that to help my baby fine hair gown faster and maybe thicker. :)

Bellechevelure
July 15th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Thank you kitmera15, the next time I want to buy a shampoo I'am gonna check these brands.

honeybunnie8, a few months ago I learn about shampoo bars but I was afraid they will dry my ends. My ends are really fragile so... :/

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Monistat deluted with water Monday Wednesday and Friday. I use vo5 keep it strong leave in conditioner. Saturday I wash with vo5 split end shampoo and conditioner. I wash weekly and turbie towel dry. I also detangle with a wide tooth comb. I use tressemee shine spray on wash day only. I take a multi vitamin msm flaxseed and b complex and biotin. Once a month I do cholesterol treatment lustrasilk Shea butter and mango. I also do Aussie three minute miracle the same day.

Bellechevelure
July 15th, 2013, 04:47 PM
The girls on youtube talk a lot about Aussie three minutes miracle mask but I can't find it in my province. :/

starlamelissa
July 15th, 2013, 07:58 PM
my mother has baby fine wavy hair, and she washes with a volumizing shampoo and companion conditioner every morning. she does not brush, and only gives it a quick comb before styling. Washing every day with a non-conditioning shampoo keeps her hair fluffy and bouncy. She occasionally scrunches with a lightweight mousse, but usually doesnt.

Hairitic
July 16th, 2013, 09:41 AM
I always had an oily scalp but found that regular sudsing shampoos tended to dry out my scalp. That in turn made the scalp rush to produce more oil to compensate. When I tried Cleansing Conditioners (like WEN) I found I could go longer between shampoos and my hair was sleeker and less tangly. I now go a week between shampoos and could go longer if I wanted to. Once thoroughly rinsed out, I do a final rinse with a combination of: Catnip Tea, Rooibos Tea, Green Tea and ACV. To make this, I steep 1 Green teabag emptied into my tea strainer, 1 T. Rooibos and 1 T. Catnip in 16 oz. Boiling water till cooled. I add this to 1 oz. ACV in a 20 oz. water bottle. I then steep the herbs again in about 12 oz. boiling water till cooled and add to the bottle till filled. I keep this mixture refrigerated till shampoo time. I squirt about half through my hair and let drip through for about 2 minutes before squeezing out the excess rinse mixture gently. Then I pat dry. I then use an organic detangling spray before using a TT or The Wet Brush to detangle my hair. I usually use a bit of Coconut Oil on the length and ends then I let it dry naturally. When dry or nearly so, I put it up in a Cinna-Bun for the night. Voila: Smooth, lightly wavy, shiny, split free hair! ;)