PDA

View Full Version : Interview headband?

qijino1236
July 15th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I was wondering if wearing a silk headband kind of like this one:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/guen87/pinkheadband.jpg
would be appropriate for a job interview (along with a white top and medium length black skirt)
Opinions?

kaydana
July 15th, 2013, 09:00 AM
It would depend on the type of job interview, but generally I'd say no.

fairview
July 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Without knowing who you are interviewing with, that is a hard call. We have a dress code at work however the unwritten rule is, 'If you have to ask weather a piece of clothing or accessory is acceptable to wear, generally it won't be' for 2 reasons. First it is just unacceptable or secondly you are so self conscious about it that you will be calling attention to it and make it so.

What is the culture of the company you are going for? What is the canvass they want to project? What are the current employees wearing to work (stalk the business in the morning to see). Will it be calling undue attention to you or it? Are you confident wearing it? If you get a 'No' to anyone of these, probably a good bet not to wear it.

Kaelee
July 15th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I really don't see why not. :shrug:

And maybe this is just me, coming from a blue collar background but since there's absolutely nothing offensive or inappropriate about it, I really can't see any logical reason why you shouldn't wear it. I would think the business that had a PROBLEM with it would be a bit :crazyq:. It's a headband for crying out loud. A plain headband. But that's just me.

ExpectoPatronum
July 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I don't see why it would be inappropriate. I would stay away from choosing one with a loud patter, but a silk headband in a solid color that compliments what you're wearing would be very pretty! I think it's more professional than having your hair flying everywhere.

MidnightMoon
July 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I'd think it depends on the kind of job. If you're a teacher or aiming for administrative jobs I'd say it's fine, but for a more formal environment I'd say no. It makes the person look younger in my opinion (as it is a popular accesory for girls) and the only women I see wearing it are either teachers or secretaries and lower positions.

qijino1236
July 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
My thoughts are closest to yours Kaelee. I have just never worn any accessories to a job interview and was curious to what other people thought about it. To fairview: I am definitely confident in wearing it :).

Kyla
July 15th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I think it would be perfectly fine, although it is important to consider it might make you look younger, which I think generally isn't a good thing during an interview.

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM
It depends on the job. If its at an office I'd suggest a bun.

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Before I read any of these other responses, my thought was: This might make you look younger, childlike. I think it's lovely, and I'd wear it elsewhere for sure, I'm just thinking no for an interview, unless it's something like working retail or something where it might not matter as much as a more professional position.

For an interview, I always dress traditional though; it's a nice contrast to my quirky personality, which I feel shines through without competing with undue attention given to my outfit.

But if this job was in the fashion industry, I might reverse my decision.

CurlyCaz
July 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Depends on the job.

I would wear it because I'm a teacher and it would stick in their mind and they would think "she seems nice and fun." However if it was for an office job I would say no - they might think you're a bit immature...?

millyaulait
July 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't.

Anje
July 15th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Personally, I wouldn't partially because I tend to avoid bright colors for interviews. At the same time, I recall that you were recently in a messy stage of growing your hair out where not everything gathers back well yet. That definitely influences the choice pro-headband, if it's the least messy way to do your hair currently.

Skade
July 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Hard to answer without knowing the job. If you want to come across as cute, young and nice, sure that's a good hair style. But if it is a job where you need to come across as more mature, serious or businesslike. I would think there are better hair styles to choose from.

However with the right confidence and personality for the job you can probably pull off any kind of accessory or clothes. But since you never know who is going to sit on the opposite side, it might be easier to choose something more neutral, not to distract them.