PDA

View Full Version : Best Trimming Scissors

Michiru
July 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Where have you bought your own self trimming scissors? I'm looking to do my own S&D trims. I'm want to get a good pair of scissors but I know salon quality can cost hundreds of dollars. I have looked at the ones at Target but they don't look very sharp. I don't want to cut my splits only to get more splits. I'd love some recommendations! :)

alexis917
July 14th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I use cheap Conair ones from Walgreens that work surprisingly well! I think they cost me around....seven dollars or so?
Sorry, I'm thrifty!

honeybunnie8
July 14th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I bought some at Sallys that were I think $30. I got them for my dogs but now I just use them on myself.

h9926
July 14th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I just got a pair of Jilbere shears at Sally's they were $22. They're nice and sharp and work really well, but we'll see how long they last. I have bought two other scissors before, though they were both under $10, and they got dull fast. So I figured that I would got a bit more expensive to see how they hold up before plunging into $100+ shears.

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I use dollar general scissors.

Anje
July 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Like others, I got some Sally scissors for around $20. Also have some cheapy Goody ones that were under $10.

I realize that you do pay for quality. However, the scissors that stylists buy for hundreds of dollars have to be able to stay sharp and durable for many haircuts a day, every day. S&D scissors only need to be able to do a few trims a year and be able to snip individual splits. So it makes sense to me that scissors that get exponentially more use would have to cost substantially more than scissors that just need to stay sharp enough for personal use.

All that said, if you want a higher quality pair, it's up to you. I've heard good things about scissors that are actually intended for pet grooming being identical quality but sometimes substantially less expensive than scissors marketed for human use. (Ditto for Mason Pearson brushes!)

fairview
July 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM
What ever you purchase before you use them, I suggest you take them to a sharpening service that only does salon shears. Unless you spend hundreds of dollars, you will be purchasing cast scissors not forged shears. The edge is what makes the difference. Forged shears are preferred in the salon because they will hold their edge for hundreds of cuts or more. Cast scissors will not. After all that, put them up and do not use them for cutting coupons out or the like. Also knowing how to adjust the tension of the scissors is equally important to the cutting edge. Too loose and it will bend the hair before it cuts. Too tight it will destroy your edge after a few cuts.

Expect to pay around $25.00 for sharpening service. Also expert sharpeners will use a vice like device to set the scissors to obtain a uniform edge. If they say they are good enough to do it without one, run away fast.

ExpectoPatronum
July 15th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I have some really old conair ones that I'll be replacing when I have some extra cash. They worked well and we had them for at least 5-6 years.

ejking2
July 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM
What ever you purchase before you use them, I suggest you take them to a sharpening service that only does salon shears. Unless you spend hundreds of dollars, you will be purchasing cast scissors not forged shears. The edge is what makes the difference. Forged shears are preferred in the salon because they will hold their edge for hundreds of cuts or more. Cast scissors will not. After all that, put them up and do not use them for cutting coupons out or the like. Also knowing how to adjust the tension of the scissors is equally important to the cutting edge. Too loose and it will bend the hair before it cuts. Too tight it will destroy your edge after a few cuts.

Expect to pay around $25.00 for sharpening service. Also expert sharpeners will use a vice like device to set the scissors to obtain a uniform edge. If they say they are good enough to do it without one, run away fast.

Very informative, thanks! :thumbsup:

silvertongue
July 15th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I bought a pair of 7.5-inch ice tempered stainless steel professional shears for $10 from Amazon a few years back (SIMCO brand). They work great & are still sharp. So yes, no need to pay a ridiculous amount for a good product!

LadyLongLocks
July 15th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I use a pair from Sally's. Ice tempered, by Jilbere (Paris) 25.00. If you self trim I think its important for them to feel comfortable in your fingers as well.