PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Amish: "Makeover", and hair on TV?

alexis917
July 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM
So I was watching Breaking Amish (I have a secret thing for the show- I know, reality tv is so bad, but it's addictive)- and a new recruit to the leaving-the-Amish group is Katie Ann. Prior to being given her makeover, she was always featured with her hair confined underneath a cap, and not visible. Needless to say, I was surprised when she took it off at the hairdressers! It looked to be around classic, or at least tailbone. The ends were a little fairy-taleish, but I thought they looked nice, nonetheless.
http://www.crushable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Katie-Ann-Schumcker-MakeOver-Breaking-Amish.jpg

As I predicted, her hair was immediately chopped to around BSL, and straightened out. Is it just me, or during a makeover, people with rather long hair always have at least six inches chopped off? In addition to that, why are society's standards of long hair so different from most of this forums? I suppose it's all relative, but I saw a picture of an actress with mid back hair in her forties being hailed for her Rapunzel-like hair, and it really made me think!

So tell me, when is hair long, or too long? (Is there such a thing? :p)
Why is long hair always cut shorter in televised makeovers? Or is that my imagination?
Do you think the media/society sways peoples' perception of your hair? How so?

long&blonde
July 14th, 2013, 11:10 PM
It seems as if TV makeover shows always cut long hair much shorter. I also think the made over person looked much, much better, 90% of the time-prior to makeover! Much different than the raving reviews for makeover from all on tv. Tv makeover shows tend to make me feel I come from an alternative universe.

teddygirl
July 14th, 2013, 11:13 PM
If they cut an inch off, it wouldn't be a very dramatic makeover. The point (usually) of them is to look very different. They still kept her hair relatively long, and didn't go for a chin length bob or something, but they wanted her to look different.

alexis917
July 14th, 2013, 11:17 PM
If they cut an inch off, it wouldn't be a very dramatic makeover. The point (usually) of them is to look very different. They still kept her hair relatively long, and didn't go for a chin length bob or something, but they wanted her to look different.

True. Leaving a strict religious community seems to demand a change, anyway!

alexis917
July 14th, 2013, 11:19 PM
It seems as if TV makeover shows always cut long hair much shorter. I also think the made over person looked much, much better, 90% of the time-prior to makeover! Much different than the raving reviews for makeover from all on tv. Tv makeover shows tend to make me feel I come from an alternative universe.

I know what you mean!
On sit-coms, the trend is the "pretty already" thing.
Like she removes her glasses and wears a new shirt and it's apparent she wasn't ever unattractive anyway.

teddygirl
July 14th, 2013, 11:19 PM
For sure! I like that show too hehe

alexis917
July 14th, 2013, 11:23 PM
For sure! I like that show too hehe
I secretly hate Rebecca...

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2013, 07:30 AM
They do shorter cuts for dramatic effects.