PDA

View Full Version : Baby Oil, Cone Free

jennescence
July 14th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Is it okay to use mineral oil if you are sulfate and cone free? Will it wash out? Or will it act like cones and actually keep the moisture from my hair?

Leeloo
July 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Not sure about hair, but it's not good for your skin. I would use a natural oil instead.

Wildcat Diva
July 14th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I am sulfate and cone-free, and I use it just fine. As long as you don't over oil, it washes out beautifully. I use three drops (and I do use a dropper, a pipette) on my palms, rub them together, then apply to one side of the length of my hair. Then I repeat with the other side. I do this when it is soaking wet after a wash.

I wash 1-2 times a week. Later, when I am getting ready to pre-oil before my wash, I then use coconut oil instead. With CO done properly, all comes right out.

I highly recommend it to deal with frizz. YMMV.

kpzra
July 14th, 2013, 11:17 PM
There are tons of threads on it if you do a search, they should answer any questions you have. Here's a link to the big/main one. :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

jennescence
July 15th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks guys. Sorry. Sometimes I don't have time to look thru long threads like that lol

catasa
July 15th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Not sure about hair, but it's not good for your skin. I would use a natural oil instead.

No offence at all but as I have understood it, pure mineral oil/liquid paraffin is actually not at all bad for skin, that is a myth (though in baby oil other things may be mixed in that may not be so good). Of course as with all things, it may not work well for everyone, but according to what I have read about it mineral oil is actually very non-allergenic, non-comedogenic, and good for sensitive skin. I have used it as sole moisturizer (on wet skin) for my acne-prone face for about nine months now and my skin is not perfect but definitely much better than it was with "white"/creamy moisturizers.

Regarding mineral oil on hair I have used it as leave-in on wet hair for about a year maybe? and I have had less problems with buildup than I have had with other things (like conditioner even without cones). My water is quite hard/mineral rich and seems to cause buildup on itīs own though so it is a little hard to say, I use a clarifying shampoo about every second/third week regardless. I cannot use mineral oil on top of conditioner though, maybe due to my water, it makes my hair really yucky/coated/messy-feeling. So I just use shampoo mixed with water and a little ACV, and then the mineral oil. Worked beatifully during the winter months, however now in the more humid summer climate I am fighting frizz/poofiness again... :( will have to find a tweak to my routine.

If I remember correctly, according to the big thread (and ktaniīs info), in general, mineral oil should wash out without problems with both regular shampoo or conditioner. But it will of course depend on your other products, water etc, so as always, no easy answers... :rolleyes: Good luck! :blossom:

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Catsa, I wonder if a Catnip soak, then rinse, then mineral oil might help with your conditioning needs? Rinsing with citric acid solution for your final rinse also might be worth a try, since your water is so hard.

OP, I would say that mineral oil would be pretty cheap to try, if you are so inclined. Lots of us use it without incident, so it's not like it's going to ruin your hair. Let us know how you make out!

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2013, 04:45 AM
dratted double post thingy! That's my first one in a while!

catasa
July 15th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Catsa, I wonder if a Catnip soak, then rinse, then mineral oil might help with your conditioning needs? Rinsing with citric acid solution for your final rinse also might be worth a try, since your water is so hard.

OP, I would say that mineral oil would be pretty cheap to try, if you are so inclined. Lots of us use it without incident, so it's not like it's going to ruin your hair. Let us know how you make out!

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I have been thinking of trying catnip, but so far I have been hoping to find something else that isnīt quite so time-consuming/preparation-heavy. It has been a while since I read about it but as I remember it, for best results the solution takes some hours to get ready, and then it shall stay in your hair for a quite long while also. But, maybe it is time to try it, I am certainly having trouble finding something else since conditioners seem to be a total no-go for me, and most oils also... I will have to re-read the catnip thread(s), if you have some advice for easier and and quicker use I would be very grateful! :)
ETA: I did try citric acid rinses for a while but it seemed to dry out my hair in the long run... maybe I used a solution that was a little to strong. I mix some ACV in my shampoo dilution and I am hoping that has the same benefits, though nothing seems to help to keep my hair completely buildup-free.

(sorry for hijacking the thread :oops:)

As you said for the OP: yes, mineral oil is cheap, and it will almost certainly at the worst cause some buildup, so it should be safe to try! I have had the best results with pure mineral oil/liquid paraffin, not a mixed baby oil (there is a Johnsonīs baby oil that is pure as I recall, though not available in my country, I buy mine at the pharmacy where they sell it for internal use for indigestion).

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Catsa, I'll leave you a visitor message about the catnip, so I won't further derail the thread.

kpzra
July 15th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry. Sometimes I don't have time to look thru long threads like that lol

There is always the "search thread" feature to look in a long thread easier (I've used it many times, so much info in those long threads). :wink: FWIW, I use baby oil on my hair with no problems, sometimes I'm cone/sulfate free sometimes I'm not (depends on what I'm in the mood to use).

jeanniet
July 15th, 2013, 02:14 PM
No offence at all but as I have understood it, pure mineral oil/liquid paraffin is actually not at all bad for skin, that is a myth (though in baby oil other things may be mixed in that may not be so good). Of course as with all things, it may not work well for everyone, but according to what I have read about it mineral oil is actually very non-allergenic, non-comedogenic, and good for sensitive skin. I have used it as sole moisturizer (on wet skin) for my acne-prone face for about nine months now and my skin is not perfect but definitely much better than it was with "white"/creamy moisturizers.

Regarding mineral oil on hair I have used it as leave-in on wet hair for about a year maybe? and I have had less problems with buildup than I have had with other things (like conditioner even without cones). My water is quite hard/mineral rich and seems to cause buildup on itīs own though so it is a little hard to say, I use a clarifying shampoo about every second/third week regardless. I cannot use mineral oil on top of conditioner though, maybe due to my water, it makes my hair really yucky/coated/messy-feeling. So I just use shampoo mixed with water and a little ACV, and then the mineral oil. Worked beatifully during the winter months, however now in the more humid summer climate I am fighting frizz/poofiness again... :( will have to find a tweak to my routine.

If I remember correctly, according to the big thread (and ktaniīs info), in general, mineral oil should wash out without problems with both regular shampoo or conditioner. But it will of course depend on your other products, water etc, so as always, no easy answers... :rolleyes: Good luck! :blossom:

You're right, it's a myth, and much as I hate to admit it, skin moisturizers with mineral oil in them are, IMO, more effective than all "natural" ones. My hair doesn't like MO, but there are some "natural" oils it also doesn't like. It always takes a certain amount of experimentation to find what will work best. But many people on here do very well with MO, both on hair and skin. Just use sparingly on hair, if you want to try it out--start with just a drop or two at first.

starlamelissa
July 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM
baby oil is so light, really it doesnt any effort to remove it from hair. I have been using it for well over a year.

jennescence
July 15th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Okay thanks guys:) I bought baby oil with shea and cocoa butter in it today. My hair is in fact a lot less poofy. I still have a little frizz but not near as much as before. I used to talk to Ktani about stuff like this but now that she is gone it makes me very sad:(

Firefox7275
July 16th, 2013, 05:26 PM
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/mineral-oil-versus-coconut-oil-which-is-better

Firefox7275
July 16th, 2013, 05:34 PM
You're right, it's a myth, and much as I hate to admit it, skin moisturizers with mineral oil in them are, IMO, more effective than all "natural" ones. My hair doesn't like MO, but there are some "natural" oils it also doesn't like. It always takes a certain amount of experimentation to find what will work best. But many people on here do very well with MO, both on hair and skin. Just use sparingly on hair, if you want to try it out--start with just a drop or two at first.

Depends on the formulation of the 'all natural' product, you can't lump them all together! Some oils/ butters/ lipids supply the fatty acids found in a healthy skin barrier so can 'nourish' it as well as acting as an occlusive just as mineral oil does, medical grade lanolin for example. Others that are rich in oleic acid can cause clogging or irritation. Ditto hair: some natural oils are penetrating especially those rich in lauric or oleic acid, others are not.

starlamelissa
July 16th, 2013, 08:07 PM
To jenessence, I use the Johnson's brown cap cocoa butter baby oil in my hair and I love it. The smell is so summery, like chocolate and sunscreen. It's my true hair love. Lol