PDA

View Full Version : Options to increase growth rate - please share your knowledge

AngryVikingGirl
July 14th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Hi!

I'd like to collect the different ways to increase growth rate at one place. So I can see through the choice. Also, additional notes, pros and cons are welcome. Thanks!
I'll start:
(from what I've read on this forum)

MSM
Biotin
Monistat/Daktarin (miconazol-content)
Silica
Roiboos tea
Castor oil
Scalp massage/scritching with or without some oils/products/herbs
Nettle
Rosemary
Hair and nail vitamins
BBBing upside down
Protein
Exercise
Fenugreek
Neem oil
Lavender oil
Avocado oil
Amla powder

Personally I've tried roiboos tea, I think it worked, but I didn't measure. I'm willing to increase my rate again, but more systematically this time.

I know a healthy diet, exercise and some other stuff belong to this list too, but now I'm interested in these *aimed* options. And a good diet is a pretty complex thing, just like overall health or hair care.

ETA I'm sorry if a thread like this already exists, then please redirect me. Anyway, I think we could link the proper threads for each method. I'll do some of that a bit later.

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I use Monistat and it's great.

rut.de.leu
July 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Also manually, scalp massage/scritching (with or without product application).

AmyBeth
July 14th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I second both Monistat and massage. The massage takes about 2 minutes per day, just enough to feel the circulation pick up. My hair has grown faster in the past year than it ever has in my life. Protecting the new growth with updos, sleepcaps (very sexy, I know),gentle products and tools is very important, because you can certainly damage your hair faster than it can grow. Happy growing!

butterfly_dream
July 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM
To me is very important to be high in protein and workout hardly at least every other day.

Anabell
July 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM
In general, you need to try be as healthy as you can. If your body will get all it needs (vitamins, proteins, etc.) there will be enough for the hair too. That way you can reach the max growth rate according to your genetics.
Scalp massage is another way to increase growth rate because it increase the blood flow in the scalp area.
Have a good luck :)

ThisDreamer
July 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I have always heard Rosemary as being one of those hair growth pick me ups. I just bought some for myself to try. I plan to mix it with some of my cinnamon oil too and rub it in during a massage.

LadyCelestina
July 14th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Nettle tea...or nettle extracts applied on the scalp.

One very important thing one should watch after in order not to experience slowed down growth is keep the scalp healthy.I mean the skin on it.This could mean the use of some products aimed to solve these scalp problems.I don't know if it counts towards growth increase options?

CurlyCaz
July 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I massage daily (I think this has definitely helped new hair growth as I have lots of new baby hair around the front of my scalp)

I used to take Nourkin (because lots of my hair fell out) now I take Imdeen Hair and Nails (has biotin etc in it)

Also every night I bend over (so my head is kinda upside down) :p and brush my hair with a boar bristle brush.

My mum has very short hair and she has to do this every night as she has psoriasis on the back of her head and she reckons it makes her hair grow really fast so she has to keep going to the hairdresser to cut it (of course it could be the regular trims that make it grow - she also has to take folic acid for her condition so could be that too!) But anyway she told me about the boar bristle brush and the upside brushing so I thought I'd give it a go. If nothing else, it coats my hair in sebum and makes it nice and smooth. :)

marymonster
July 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I've been massaging my scalp with fenugreek infused coconut oil mixed with castor oil and neem oil. It *seems* to be working but I don't measure. I used to massage with lavender oil, which seemed to work also.

fairview
July 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Balanced diet, no internal challenges in regards to hormones, thyroid function and cortisol and DHT levels, no scalp challenges such as infections and daily scalp massage. Whatever scalp applications are made would need to penetrate into the follicle to have any type of effect on growth and then once inside the follicle would need to resist the natural tendency of the body to dilute it within the system. The seeming benefit from applications comes from the concurrent scalp massage which increase blood flow to the follicles and the reduction of breakage. Those that have had success with Monistat may have had some type of ongoing yeast infection that may have been cleared up or it was simply the massage.

Keep in mind that different areas of the scalp can and will have markedly different growth rates so that variable would need to be accounted for and eliminated first before any meaningful results could be obtained.

AngryVikingGirl
July 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Ok, thanks for your answers. Sorry, I was busy at the weekend, that's why I'm only posting now.
As I said, I'm looking for aimed methods. Something that you use specifically to increase your growth rate. Overall good haircare and overall health do not fall under that definition, thanks though.

So...nettle...I used a nettle shampoo and it was awesome, my hair was the longest in my life those days, but I didn't know nettle was the key :p It still didn't grow 12'' a year, but I really wasn't protecting it, I wet combed ripping the comb through my hair, wore it down all the time and still ended up at about hip two times. So I do think a good rate is something. I protect my hair now and it's in a good condition (I think so), but I'm impatient, that's it. I'm at the same length as when I joined LHC. Yes, I had to change my routine, of course I made mistakes, but how much easier it is if your hair grows faster, isn't it?
I'm editing your advices into the first post...

Leeloo
July 16th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Castor oil with avocado oil
amla powder

RockyLvsAdrian
July 16th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Great tips. I'll definitely be trying some of these out as a newbie and a shorty!

AngryVikingGirl
July 16th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Ok, I've ordered a Hair Skin & Nails Formula with 3000mcg biotin in it and also dag up some nettle and burdock shampoo from the cupboard. New experiment, yay! I'll measure my hair. Thanks for your help and happy growing to everyone!