PDA

View Full Version : Will I be Burned at the Stake for Extensions

fairview
July 13th, 2013, 09:04 AM
First is it inappropriate for a guy to consider extensions? I guess that is my first question. I'm 55 so I see growing out my hair to any length past the ugly stage to be a race between growing it out and having it fall out. I'm also a licensed stylist(just finished school in May, have my license and will start my first job on Monday) so it would be more in line with my business and up selling my guests for this service.

Just wondering if I'll be banned from the forum:)

HumanBean
July 13th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Not at all.

General rule here is "I'm not here to decorate your world," and you should do with your hair what makes you happy. Plenty of us do damaging things to some extent. I use my blow dryer some times and I straighten my fringe/bangs almost everyday, for example. I am positive there are others here who can specifically comment on their use of extensions.

However, people who do damaging things to their hair and then come bemoan what they did after the fact...there is probably some decent eye-rolling as we type back our helpful responses!

LadyCelestina
July 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM
:demon::slap::angry: GET OUT !!!!

Just kidding...Why should it be inappropriate? It isn't.Do what makes you happy and comfortable,but remember to post pics then,please :D

humble_knight
July 13th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Pics, or it didn't happen, as everyone says here :p I've never seen a man with hair extensions, so I'm curious I admit :D As a stylist, would you be interested in the male market for these extensions? I know about hair-plugs and some of the other products advertised at men with balding heads, but I never thought of hair extensions.

Peggy E.
July 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I don't really know much of anything about them, but they look like they would do a good job of pulling hair out. Particularly so hair that is already considering the whether to stay anchored in, or to throw caution to the wind and bid life farewell! (I'm 61 and my hair seems to have made a decision - waving farewell as I'm sweeping it up off the sink, the floor, out of the shower, etc....)

Don't you have to attach them to the base of your hair? Doesn't this pull like crazy? They look to be somewhat heavy and you seem to have to wear several, isn't this very hard on your hair, not only causing friction where it's attached, but the weight pulling on it?

Just curious. Be interesting to see how it goes for you - and good luck in your new position!

Kaelee
July 13th, 2013, 10:32 AM
It's appropriate for any guy or girl to do anything that makes him or her happy so long as it's not hurting anyone else. :agree:

The issue with extensions is, they damage your natural hair (which I'm sure you know, as a stylist). If you are OK with that, and want the extensions, by all means, GO FOR IT!!!

Oh, and the only rule here is: PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!! ;)

ExpectoPatronum
July 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM
It's your hair and you are free to do whatever you want with it. If you want to cut, color, straighten, blow dry, curl it, and get extensions, it's entirely up to you.

UStoUKmomma
July 13th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Yes. You will most definitely be burned at the stake....it is obvious witchcraft to go from short to long lustrous locks in the blink of an eye! I cast thee out!

Bahahahahaha

Do whatever makes you happy!

woodswanderer
July 13th, 2013, 12:22 PM
It makes sense to me. Most people find their hair gets thinner as they age and doubly so for men. May as well level the playing field for yourself. I don't see it as different than using henna, conventional dyes, or any of the other things many people on here do. Anything people do to alter their natural hair is bound to be unnatural in some sense, so you may as well have fun with it. I myself am going to try some Aveda Root Madder to make my hair a little redder.

lapushka
July 13th, 2013, 12:52 PM
A man with extensions, I must admit, is a little "odd" to me personally, but if it makes you happy, then by all means: go for it.

sumidha
July 13th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Goodness no, just be prepared for some 'I told you so's if you come back in six months wondering what happened to mess up your hair. :)

But I do hope they don't mess up your hair and work well for you. Post pics!

fairview
July 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Before and after pictures, I promise. I believe in walking my talk. It will probably be another 6 weeks before I do it.

I also believe extensions damage hair but not the extensions but the lack of commitment and proper maintenance. It's not your own hair.

First is the idea of hair loss. Normally we should lose about 150 hairs through our natural shedding process. Extensions are attached to out hair so anything that is shed and held in the attachment won't be lost until the extension is removed. After being in for 3-5 months that can add up to a lot of deferred hair loss that all at once goes down the drain.

Each layer of extension attachments need to be gently brushed on a daily basis. This removes loose shed hair and prevents matting and tangling.

Shampooing is done with the head tilted back not to the front for obvious reasons.

After shampooing, hair needs to be finger detangled.

If the hair is going to be allowed to air dry, minimally the point of attachments need to be dried with a blow drier to prevent mildew and stench.

At night time or anytime the hair will be exposed to strong breezes the hair should be put up into a loose braid.

Now as a stylist I understand all this but how many people with extensions ado you think are really committed to doing all this on a daily basis? Not many from what I have experienced. They just want to come in and complain about how their extensions are matted into a rats nest and then complain when a few need to be cut out.

AmyBeth
July 14th, 2013, 09:47 AM
To anyone who thinks bald isn't sexy, I say Michael Jordan, Patrick Stewart, and Yul Bynner. Nuff said.:D

shutterpillar
July 14th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Mmmmm.. Patrick Stewart.... *swoon*

Do whatever makes you happy, fairview! I'll be looking forward to seeing photos, as i've never (to my knowledge) seen a man with extensions before. I'm sure they are out there though. It doesn't seem strange to me at all, just as men with their own long hair that grows from their heads don't seem strange to me.

butterfly_dream
July 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I have had extensions myself for a couple of years and I was happy with. Then I went to pixie cut because to have extensions for such a long time was really damaging for my fine hair.
Anyway, if to have extensions makes you happy go for it!

AmyBeth
July 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Did you know that he started balding in his teens and seriously considered suicide because he thought his chosen career was over before it started and that no woman would ever want him?;)
Mmmmm.. Patrick Stewart.... *swoon*

Do whatever makes you happy, fairview! I'll be looking forward to seeing photos, as i've never (to my knowledge) seen a man with extensions before. I'm sure they are out there though. It doesn't seem strange to me at all, just as men with their own long hair that grows from their heads don't seem strange to me.

Kyla
July 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM
You do whatever you want with your hair. If other people think that it's weird, that's their problem. :)

Wavelength
July 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I agree, do whatever you want -- it's your hair! I'd just be concerned that putting in extensions might accelerate your hair loss. Eventually the extensions will have to come out, and many people find their hair pretty damaged afterward. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

emmyliten
July 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I agree with the rest, if you want extensions, get extensions. =)

Altough, I also agree with the ones worrying it might be damaging. I used to wear keratin wax extensions, and I loved the length and massive amount of hair it gave me. I did however have lots of problem with the extensions falling out, because the wax would simply dissolve. I was very careful to use salon recommended shampoo and follow all instructions. It would seem like the water from showering and oils from the scalp made the wax dissolve. In worst case scenario, and it happened a lot, if I happened to get the extensions caught in the brush or my fingers or just anything, they would rip out and take the whole patch of hair they were attached to with them! When I finally decided to take them out permanently, I could feel little spots on my scalp that were completely bald. I talked to my salon about it, figuring they maybe attached the extensions to too little of my own hair and thus making it very vulnerable. They however said it was nothing to worry about and that it was simply what it was. I can not for the life of me understand how one can have the same set of extensions in for up to six months, I had mine "re-attached" every third month at the latest but would have needed every fourth week. In the end, it was just to much trouble maintaining them, and I did loose an awful lot of my own hair.

I donīt mean to be negative, I just wanted to share my extensions story.

fairview
July 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I think the more correct equation is: Bald + Mega Dollars + Sexy. lol.

To anyone who thinks bald isn't sexy, I say Michael Jordan, Patrick Stewart, and Yul Bynner. Nuff said.:D

Tini'sNewHair
July 14th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I thought about it to but I’m a lazy person, I don’t like maintaining anything that’s not natural and does damage and that’s why I don’t dye my hair, I don’t do layers, I don’t add extensions. Sorry I don’t mean to put you down. If you wish to get them, why not give it a try ;) If you don’t like them, you can always have them pulled out and be one step ahead of some of us with experience :))

WilfredAllen
July 14th, 2013, 11:34 PM
just please don't look like Brett Michaels*shudder*

http://cdn.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/20070323-bret-michaels.jpg

Agnes Hannah
September 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I wear extensions, clip in ones but not all the time. My decision.

chen bao jun
September 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I would guess that was up to the mods to decide if it was a problem to post photos of extensions in general (not just in your case) on this forum.
Of course a person can do what they want with their own hair.
Clearly you are not going to pretend that the extensions are your own hair, which would be the only real issue I would see with someone posting extensions. That is, if they were deceptive, so that people finding the forum were deceived into thinking that they were long hair that grew out of your head.
Over on the LHCF people post photos of extensions, which they use as a protective style to grow their own hair, so that must be possible to do that.
In my experience, people who wear extensions long term lose their hair, which I hope doesn't happen to you.
I think it could be of value to people on this forum if you document your journey and also post if something does not turn out the way that you want, so that the information is available to those considering going the same route, which knowing human nature, I am sure there are some. Let's face it, people like instant gratification, and if you grow your own hair, that's anything but instant. Also, you do not know what your end result will be--it's possible to grow and grow and not get what you envisioned or wanted. the successes, I think, tend to post a lot on this forum.

Gothchiq
September 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Yes, yes, we will set you on fire, extensions first. :p Not. lol. I don't know if I *have* ever seen a man with extensions or not. I might have, unknowingly. Once you get them in, I'd like to see how it looks, too.

alexis917
September 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM
If they make you happy, why not?
Good luck, -and be sure to post pictures if you get them!!

sagremus
September 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I'll snatch those extensions right off your head!!!

Just kidding :P

I say go for it to see what it's like. I know a man who gets bonded hair extensions.

akilina
September 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM
This is an old thread but I remember...I had a friend in highschool, he was extremely flamboyant hehe. He would glue wefts of hair onto his scalp with...brace yourself....with nail glue :shudder: :justy:

I recently nabbed some incredibly nice expensive hair extensions for free. The price was right :p
The price tag says $650.00...I'd NEVER pay for them but they were a perfect match of color :) I've worn them twice, I posted a blog about them a few days back. They are clip ins and I love them but don't want to wear them too much so I can keep them nice for when my hair is a little bit longer and it blends better.

I'd make my own in highschool but I hated them. I felt like they were always showing and just felt bad on my head. These new ones are great though :) they don't show and feel "natural" ish.

I'd never tell anyone they are my real hair though. A plus side is that they go to my hip :) so it's been a nice experience to see how my hair goal will feel on me if I can ever get there.

BrightEyes
September 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Of course not! Do what makes you happy :)

At times I feel tempted to get extensions, because for some reason I've really struggled getting past shoulder length. But since I've been wearing my hair up recently, I haven't had the usual urges to chop like I usually do at my current length. And I do worry about the damage they would do to my hair. So I will keep my hair up and continue growing. And hopefully learn some more patience along the way.

I'm looking forward to pics :D

spidermom
September 17th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Yes; you will burn, but not if you come to NW Washington. We'd never get a fire lit at this time of year.

Extensions can damage your natural hair and probably aren't a super-good idea.