PDA

View Full Version : My hair has learnt a new (annoying) trick!

shrimp
August 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM
When combing my hair out to wet braid after washing (after detangling) it has developed the habit of whipping itself over the comb repeatedly so that the strand ends up totally wound around the comb by about mid way down the strand and I have to stop and unwind it.

Any advice?

I have no clue how it manages to do this :ponder:
It only does it when wet (can't forego wet combing).

In general it's getting harder and harder to comb my hair right now - I need some longer arms :lol: but this is a complete pain.

TIA :flower:

jel
August 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM
I'm afraid I don't really understand how that is happening. Probably because my hair is too short for that! Hopefully, others with more experience will chime in, but I just wanted to ask do you comb from the top down? I always comb from the bottom, a couple of inches at a time only. As I don't do a whole top-to-bottom sweep, my hair doesn't fly.

Shanarana
August 31st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Maybe combing slower? If your combing your hair fast I can see how that could happen.

shrimp
August 31st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks Jel - I detangle from bottom up as you describe - but once it's detangled I like to try and comb through the length in one go for a couple of passes just to get it a bit neater before sectioning and braiding.

I'm using a long handled comb if that helps anyone.

shrimp
August 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM
:lol: Good point shanarana slowing down may well help, I'll try that next time. If I'm not careful my hair does now self-braid at the ends while I braid the top.

Must get better at the whole antique lace dealy.

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 09:37 AM
:lol: Good point shanarana slowing down may well help, I'll try that next time. If I'm not careful my hair does now self-braid at the ends while I braid the top.

Must get better at the whole antique lace dealy.

I find the antique lace comparison a big annoying (but not because you used it here, I mean in general). I wouldn't drape antique lace over my head every day, would you? So you can't treat your hair like antique lace.

shrimp
August 31st, 2008, 09:50 AM
:lol: I agree spidermom (hecne the use of 'dealy').

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue how to treat antique lace (or, any lace for that matter). Still it's good shorthand for must be nice to hair and maybe be a bit more thoughtful when handling it.

wendyg
August 31st, 2008, 11:24 AM
shrimp: I've had that dry. Best bet is probably to comb a little slower and smooth the hair down while lifting the comb away from it to make sure they're fully separated between strokes.

wg

Periwinkle
August 31st, 2008, 12:03 PM
My solution is to angle the comb, so you're holding it pretty much vertically (either way up), and to comb fairly slowly. When detangling, I comb normally, but I too like to do that lovely all-the-way-through bit at the end.

xrosiex
August 31st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Maybe combing slower? If your combing your hair fast I can see how that could happen.

I agree with Shanarana. When I comb my hair fast when it's wet I does flip around more. I comb very slowly.

Tabitha
August 31st, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think I know what you're getting at, had that with brushes before, and the trick is to use your other hand as a kind of shield, holding it just over the surface of the comb so the hair just can't get over the top. (I know what I mean, I hope I've made sense here!).

shrimp
September 1st, 2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks all :flowers:

I'm starting to think I'm far too impatient and bull-in-a-china-shop-ish for long hair :lol:

WavyGirl
September 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM
It happens to me too. I have shed hairs that loosen in the shower but don't wash right out. So when I comb they are much longer than my other hairs but I can't really see them. So I comb to what I think is the ends and go to the top and the shed hairs catch the ends of the still-attached hairs and cause them to wrap around the comb like you are describing. The solution for me is to follow the comb with my other hand at the bottom of each sweep and slowly and carefully pull those shed hairs free from the rest before starting the next brush stroke. It seems like the problem is halfway down but it's really not finishing the stroke properly before starting the next one.