PDA

View Full Version : Calling all the mommas here please!!

IGIT
July 12th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Hello dear moms!
I need your input cause I am currently 7 months pregnant and I'm wonderig if pregnant some of you ever realised that hair stopped/ decreased growing.
In my particular case I cut a good 4 inches on March 5th and since then I have hardly seen 1 inch growth.
I don't shed anymore, I have no breakage, it's just steady path. Is this hormonal? Have you had this too?
Thank you.

longNred
July 12th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I experienced the opposite... Due to the prenatal vitamins, my hair and nails grew at a ridiculous rate. It could be hormonal, absolutely, or it could be just the time of year... Idk. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Wildcat Diva
July 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I know that after my first son was born, I had some intense shedding several weeks after his birth. hormone related. But I wasn't a long hair then.

rock007junkie
July 12th, 2013, 06:49 PM
My hair grew like crazy during this time and the shedding stopped. It got really long and full. 6-7 months after my son was born though I experienced the shedding from hell.

kpzra
July 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM
My hair didn't really do anything different while I was pregnant but I also didn't have the extra shedding some woman do.

leslissocool
July 12th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I had pregnancy alopecia! I had bald spots and my hair would NOT grow. That's when I started to lurk on LHC. Also, I had another case of alopecia when I was a teen (only one tiny bald spot) that the doctor thought was ring worm. So this time around I freaked out thinking I had ringworm, but it wasn't and my doctor told me last time most likely it wasn't either since it happened right after I got my period.

It was because of hormones, I had twice the hormones, comes with having twins :lol:. The doctors told me it could be because they were different sexes too. Prenatal vitamins + A TON of liquid vitamins for me, once the twins came out my hair started to grow like a weed, I had no shedding - quite the opposite.

IGIT
July 13th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Thank you all so very much ladies for your responses so far!
@leslissocool: I guess we have quite a similar experience because I have bald spots (around the temples) and my hair doesn't grow anymore (since the end of april).
As for the post partum shedding we'll see in a few months. Anyway, I'd love it if my hair grows back like a weed after baby's out :p.

leslissocool
July 13th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Don't worry, I think it will! I had that too, my bald spots where circular too and I had to hide them with different parting! But it did.

I have high estrogen levels naturally, that seems to be common among women who have that (at least, that's what my OBGYN told me). If you are worried I'd ask the doctor about vitamins ( I think D and B) that are liquid and those hit your system quicker so you use them better. I know the twins sucked the nutrients out of me :lol: but once they got out it all stopped.

IGIT
July 13th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Thank you! I guess patience is all I need.
I'll ask my doctor about vitamins if it can help or I'll just have to wait...

dulce
July 13th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I had 3 pregnancies but never had that happen during a pregnancy,I think it might just be a coincidence? Hair does sometimes grow slower at times,I have had that happen but not during a pregnancy.

IGIT
July 14th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks dulce! and to all who have answered me too!

browneyedsusan
July 14th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I have 2 teenagers, and my hair didn't act like that with either one. I DID have the post-partum shed 4 or 6 months after I delivered, and my hair grew in darker and ashier with each child. (My hairdresser gasped when she saw it. Gee thanks, Hairdresser. I hadn't noticed?!! :justy:) It grew back, but took a little while.

It's probably your pregnancy hormones. When Baby comes, your hair will go back to its normal growth and shed cycle. (If the postpartum shed comes, just relax and wait a year. It will recover, and you won't go bald.)

heidi w.
July 14th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Most of the mommy care books explain the whole thing. When birth is all done, or breastfeeding is all done, expect a huge amount of hair loss. Cause right now it's all hormonal.
The time to worry is about 6 months out if the shedding keeps up. It should cease in about 5-6 months. 2 months given away because it takes a little time for the hormones to know the cycle.
Heidi w.

heidi w.
July 14th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Rock700junkie explains it perfectly. It was the hormones. That's what it is.
Right now it'll stop shedding, be a bit more shiny, and really thicken up. Then it'll all go back to normal after a few months.
Clear the shower hair out of the drain. It helps.

Oh, my sister's hair changed color from a reasonable blonde to brown hair. She now dyes it. She won't listen to me.
Heidi w.

racrane
July 14th, 2013, 05:23 PM
You have to be patient, I did have some bald spots but they're slowly growing back. It's horrifying, but be patient. Hugs!

deb1211
July 14th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I also had the opposite..my hair was wonderful and thicker during my pregnancies. But hormones are crazy things so anything is possible

kysgrl
July 14th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Not during but after I lost nearly clumps of hair :(

SerinaDaith
July 14th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I am at 14 weeks, we find out tomorrow if we are having twins. This is the first pregnancy that I have seen more shedding with. The first three my hair grew fast and shed very little.

Tini'sNewHair
July 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I dont know, could be. I have the opposite effect, each time i had a baby (I have two kids) i did a very dramatic cut - the chin length! soon after giving birth tho, i regrated doing that verrry much so. You could say i was crazy hormonal to i guess haha (sorry, i dont mean to call you crazy)

leslissocool
July 15th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I am at 14 weeks, we find out tomorrow if we are having twins. This is the first pregnancy that I have seen more shedding with. The first three my hair grew fast and shed very little.

Ohhh exiting let us know!

My other friend who had twin boy and girl had alopecia too, the doc told me it's common with multiples!

IGIT
July 15th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks ladies for so many answers! It's my third pregnancy but for the first time I experience a no growth stall surrounded by bald spots. I hope I 'll still have something left after post partum shedding!:confused:

@SerinaDaith: Congrats for Baby 4!!!

McFearless
July 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Congrats on your pregnancy :) Best of luck with everything, I'm sure the hair will be back to growing normally soon. Take care.

earthybee
July 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM
My hair grew soo fast while pregnant and then fell out in clumps after DS was born. It was scary. But I'm not bald yet so I truck on. Hormone's are a crazy thing and can go either way.

IGIT
July 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Congrats on your pregnancy :) Best of luck with everything, I'm sure the hair will be back to growing normally soon. Take care. Thank you McFearless

IGIT
July 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM
My hair grew soo fast while pregnant and then fell out in clumps after DS was born. It was scary. But I'm not bald yet so I truck on. Hormone's are a crazy thing and can go either way.
Yeah crazy hormones!:shrug: