PDA

View Full Version : Thick and full of body

carols_e
August 31st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Lately my hair has been laying flat with no body.. it feels thin and stringy. I was wondering what you all do to get your hair to be thick and full of body.. mine used to be and I can't figure out what happened to it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

misstwist
August 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM
This is usually an indication that mine needs to be clarified.

ChloeDharma
August 31st, 2008, 09:00 AM
I find that whenever i wash with herbs my hair looks thicker and has more volume.

Shanarana
August 31st, 2008, 09:13 AM
There is always henna..... ;)

carols_e
August 31st, 2008, 09:37 AM
ChloeDharma what kind of herbs do you use and are they in a powder form? I would like to try those.

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Mine has most volume when freshly shampooed/conditioned. You can also amp the volume by bending forward and blow-drying on warm or cool, never hot, at the roots, maybe with a smidge of gel or mousse if not opposed to product.

Nat242
August 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
A little shea butter on the roots and on the length gives me great lift! Bun and braid waves also give great body.

Cinnamon.locks
August 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
when this happens to my hair it definitely needs to be clarified. i suggest you clarify and then see if it works, if it does not you can always use henna to add volume to your hair. or change products, they could be causing too much weight on your hair.

HTH.

carols_e
September 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM
Yesterday I clarified and hennaed and today I have lots of body.. thank you for all of your advice! :)

granitbaby
September 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
I actually remember having a shampoo called Thicker Fuller Hair in my pre-LHC days. Don't remember if it worked thou. Probably it didn't:p

Darkhorse1
September 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Weird--mine JUST went through that phase! For me, it's usually due to a growth surge, and it gets a bit uneven (hair doesn't grow evenly). I got a mini trim from my hair dresser and it just sprang back into full body! I also did a clarifying. If you recently oiled your hair, I find that flattens it out a lot.

Iylivarae
September 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
My hair was always stringy and lost volume when I used pantene, or when I didn't clarify enough.

carols_e
September 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wasn't it in a green bottle? I think I've used that before years ago.

carols_e
September 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Iylivarae my hair used to be wavey with body and in the past 6 months or so I've noticed it getting straighter and stringier kinda limp.. the clarifier work very well so maybe I had a build up. I wish I knew where my waves went I really like wavey.

ChloeDharma
September 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
ChloeDharma what kind of herbs do you use and are they in a powder form? I would like to try those.

Sorry, i forgot to check back on the thread.

I find any herb wash combination i use does it, but usually i use shikakai to cleanse it, then any mix of more conditioning herbs, but usually methi seed, brahmi, sometimes amla, maka/bhringraj. I also add a little bit of cayenne pepper to it.
I noticed you want to enhance your waves.....amla is said to do that and it seems to make my hair get some wave to it whenever i use it.
Check the recipes and natural haircare board, there are lots of threads talking about herb washing there, and there's an article on Indian herbs in the article section

Iylivarae
September 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Iylivarae my hair used to be wavey with body and in the past 6 months or so I've noticed it getting straighter and stringier kinda limp.. the clarifier work very well so maybe I had a build up. I wish I knew where my waves went I really like wavey.

It could be that your hair currently has a length where the waves don't show up as much as they did before, so maybe they'll again show up if it is an inch or so longer... My hair sometimes does that, the wavyness also depends on the hairstyles I wore, the weather and how much I moved when I let it dry.. I am pretty sure that your waves aren't gone forever!

carols_e
September 2nd, 2008, 04:45 AM
ChloeDharma.. thank you for the great information I will certainly take a look!
Iylivarae.. I hope your right and the waves will come back.. its funny cause from the roots half way down is straight as a board and the rest is really curly.. used to be very wavey to curly. Thank you all for your great advice!!

bgarrison
September 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
My hair will do this and what helps is adding either straight water or Kimberlily's defrizz spray ( I think it's called-- water, aloe vera, glycerin and jojoba). I'm not sure but it seems the hairs get dehydrated and want the water. Is this possible? After spritzing it's much fuller, and this continues even after it's dry.

chotee
September 4th, 2008, 06:50 AM
When my hair loses body, i find henna+egg mask works great improving it.