PDA

View Full Version : Is Baby Oil Safe for Hair

heidr
July 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I've been putting a little baby oil on my hair at night and it makes my hair super sleek and shiny. Is it safe or will it end up damaging my hair?

Thanks.

Vanilla
July 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Baby oil is safe for your hair. In fact, a lot of people on here recommend it to seal in moisture when hair is damp.

lunalocks
July 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I have been using baby oil on my hair - mostly ends - for 2 years. No damage. In fact, the combination of catnip soaks after washing and baby oil on ends while drying and every night before bunning has dramatically cut down on my split ends.

I wish there was a more "natural" oil that does the same thing. I have tried just about everything. Baby oil is the best for my hair. I use generic and no additives. The generic baby oil is a bit thinner than straight mineral oil. The thicker did not work for me. Also, the generic does not smell quite as strong as Johnson's.

woodswanderer
July 11th, 2013, 08:23 PM
If you are going to oil, why not try coconut oil? A LOT of people here swear by it, myself included.

heidr
July 11th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I've been using coconut oil for about a week and I totally love it. The baby oil makes my hair softer than the coconut oil though. I've been using a little coconut oil and then a little baby oil a couple of hours later.

kitschy
July 11th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Baby oil seals my hair from moisture loss much better than coconut oil.

patienceneeded
July 11th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Check out this thread - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

red-again
July 12th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I have been using baby oil on my hair - mostly ends - for 2 years. No damage. In fact, the combination of catnip soaks after washing and baby oil on ends while drying and every night before bunning has dramatically cut down on my split ends.

I wish there was a more "natural" oil that does the same thing. I have tried just about everything. Baby oil is the best for my hair. I use generic and no additives. The generic baby oil is a bit thinner than straight mineral oil. The thicker did not work for me. Also, the generic does not smell quite as strong as Johnson's.

Technically, baby oil "is" natural. It is after all derived from crude oil. And crude oil is formed from decomposition of leaves and other organic matter.
It is only the chemicals used in the separation of the different fractions of crude oil that are questionable, engine oil, diesel, petrol etc all need chemical processes to split them from the original crude oil. But other than that, they are "natural"

jacqueline101
July 12th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Baby oil is safe for hair.

starlamelissa
July 12th, 2013, 07:02 AM
I've used baby oil on my hair every wash for over a year. Love it! It reduces damage and moisture loss, and it's lighter than a serum.

Anabell
July 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I have a question to everyone who use baby oil regulary- do you clarify your hair? If you do, how often? Is it necessary?

kitschy
July 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I have a question to everyone who use baby oil regulary- do you clarify your hair? If you do, how often? Is it necessary?

I use baby oil as a sealer after every CO wash and have for over a year now, I have never noticed any buildup. I do clarify about once a month because of CO washing - and not because of the baby oil. Conditioner does a very adequate job of removing it.

starlamelissa
July 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM
i said this is in another thread, but will repeat it, I have been using baby oil for over a year, and its so light, it just doesnt build up. No extra effort to remove it, its the one of the lightest leave ins.