PDA

View Full Version : Scalp hates everything that works for my hair???

dancingrain91
July 11th, 2013, 06:24 PM
I don't know if this happens to other people but my scalp tends to hate everything that makes my hair happy. I have exzema on my body and an itchy flaky scalp with what I would call normal oil production. I can wash 2-3 times a week without greasies. But my scalp gets itchier and flakier. So I thought maybe my scalp might have some dry issues or an exzema patch or two. I use castile soap on my body with heavy moisturizers like Cera Ve. Which works great. I heard castile can be used as shampoo so I've been trying it. As far as my scalp is concerned, this is the greatest thing ever. No itchies at all. Period. But my hair looks limp. Does anyone who uses castile shampoo with success have any advice or anyone with a similiar skin condition have a routine that keeps their skin happy? Preferably someone with a doctor's diagnosis? I want my hair to be long and luscious but the skin issues are so annoying at this stage.

massivecnqstdr
July 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I have the same issue. The only solution for me has been co-washing. My hair is really fine and easily weighed down, but its the best balance I've found. I avoid co's with crazy amounts of fragrance or essential oils and that seems to help. Using something with an anti-bacterial aspect (like a little tea tree) also helps. I definitely have more volume with shampoo, but I can live with a little flatness.

dancingrain91
July 11th, 2013, 08:09 PM
My hair is easily weighed down as well. What conditioners have you had success with?

kysgrl
July 11th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Funny, I just posted something similar to this the other day except I get breakouts or allergic reactions. It's so frustrating isn't it :'(

dancingrain91
July 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM
It really is and honestly my scalp has always itched flaked and even occasionally had breakouts right behind the hairline. But I guess now that I pay attention to my hair, I really care that my scalp seems unhappy. My best guess is exzema since I was diagnosed with that a couple years ago and have patches over most of my body, even my face. Honestly I would love to keep up with the castile soap because it works on my body and seems to work on my scalp, but my hair just looks limp and dirty really. Even if it's just the transition phase my mom is already bugging me about how gross it looks. I wish you luck in solving your scalp issues. I hope someday we all can figure out that perfect routine.

spirals
July 11th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Do you do an acidic rinse after castile soap? It might help because it restores the ph balance. if you find your scalp hates it, wait until you get out ot the shower and spray it on the lengths.

Firefox7275
July 11th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I don't know if this happens to other people but my scalp tends to hate everything that makes my hair happy. I have exzema on my body and an itchy flaky scalp with what I would call normal oil production. I can wash 2-3 times a week without greasies. But my scalp gets itchier and flakier. So I thought maybe my scalp might have some dry issues or an exzema patch or two. I use castile soap on my body with heavy moisturizers like Cera Ve. Which works great. I heard castile can be used as shampoo so I've been trying it. As far as my scalp is concerned, this is the greatest thing ever. No itchies at all. Period. But my hair looks limp. Does anyone who uses castile shampoo with success have any advice or anyone with a similiar skin condition have a routine that keeps their skin happy? Preferably someone with a doctor's diagnosis? I want my hair to be long and luscious but the skin issues are so annoying at this stage.

What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp? It's very common to have two co-existing skin disorders, you should not treat seborrhoeic dermatitis the same as atopic eczema. Alkaline soaps are ultimately damaging to both skin and hair, I can't see the logic in stripping out the structural lipids and Natural Moisturising Factors from your skin barrier then attempting to replace them with CeraVe. It would be better to address the root cause(s) of your skin issues rather than 'firefighting' symptoms, risking getting stuck in a vicious cycle of needing a harsh product to clear the irritating sebum and yeast overgrowth but leaving your skin damaged and thus unable to defend itself.

It's worth reviewing your diet, making it as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible.

dancingrain91
July 12th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I have exzema patches all over my skin. I've heard having two skin problems is common but since its the same symptoms and same results, two different causes seems like a long shot.

Jenny31557
July 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I've heard that the very popular coconut oil is good for treating excema. You could try that if you don't already. Hope you find something that works!

Firefox7275
July 13th, 2013, 08:48 AM
I have exzema patches all over my skin. I've heard having two skin problems is common but since its the same symptoms and same results, two different causes seems like a long shot.

Many common skin complaints have extremely similar symptoms to the untrained eye, this is partly because they are in the same 'family' of conditions and are closely related genetically (the other name for atopic eczema is atopic dermatitis, 'cradle cap' is seborrhoeic dermatitis) causing an increased risk of having a defective skin barrier and inappropriate immune response. Initially diagnosing the wrong form of dermatitis or only diagnosing one when there are two is not uncommon. Both my mother and I have diagnosed atopic eczema/ dermatitis, I also have undiagnosed irritant contact dermatitis and my mother undiagnosed seborrhoeic dermatitis - I am confident due to my background in hospital pharmacy and lifestyle healthcare, exactly which actives/ ingredients our skin does and does not respond or react to. All three conditions look very similar: scaly raised patches, soreness and/ or itching and/ or redness.

In some ways you could argue different forms of dermatitis are the same skin complaint but on skin that has a large amount of sebaceous glands or does not, the sebum being a 'complicating factor' - SD usually only occurs on the T-zone of the face and the scalp, dermatitis on the body will be something else but generally closely related. Some present with the SD then later atopic eczema, some atopic eczema then later SD, some only ever have one or the other. You often don't have to rely on doctors to treat dermatitis, frankly I've had far more success self treating and have now been clear for over two years. But you do need an accurate diagnosis otherwise you risk worsening the problem.

Nellon
July 13th, 2013, 08:58 AM
What if u use castor soap on your scalp, then turn head upside down and wash the length of the hair with normal shampoo, being careful not to let it touch the scalp?