PDA

View Full Version : Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate?

cathair
July 11th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Looking for a new sulphate free shampoo, have been round many many shops today. Nearly everything I have picked up that appears to be sulphate free contains sodium lauroyl sarcosinate. Does this have anything to do with sodium laureth sulfate? Or is it a totally different kettle of fish?

A quick google search brought up that it helps other ingredients penetrate skin more. Should I be worried about that?

swearnsue
July 11th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I'm not a chemist but just a paranoid person and I wouldn't want any shampoo ingredients to penetrate my skin. I avoid propylene glycol because if I remember correctly, it is an ingredient that is supposed to help stuff penetrate the skin. And in large quantities it can kill animals if eaten.

cathair
July 11th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I'm not a chemist but just a paranoid person and I wouldn't want any shampoo ingredients to penetrate my skin. I avoid propylene glycol because if I remember correctly, it is an ingredient that is supposed to help stuff penetrate the skin. And in large quantities it can kill animals if eaten.

Thanks for your reply and the warning about propylene glycol :) I can't say the idea of shampoo ingredients penetrating skin fills me with joy either. Although I can see that is has been approved by the FDA as an 'indirect food additive' whatever that means :/ It appears to be rated low to moderate risk in the cosmetics database here:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/706102/SODIUM_LAUROYL_SARCOSINATE/

I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Going back through my photos of shampoo ingredients I took today (yes I am that sad), I saw another that had TEA Lauryl Sulfate that says it is coconut derived. My hair seems to like things made from coconuts, I wonder if that is a better alternative, even if it is a sulphate?

Beborani
July 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM
They are all detergents--some milder than others. Tis 'sulfate-free' thing whereever is orginated is misleading because it is just an anion that is replaced by another (lots of them out there) by the manufacturers or they change the fatty acid a little bit (there are several to choose from)but doesnt change their basic function. Lauric acid and all its dervatives are genenrally manufactured from coconut oil, doesnt make it less or more natural.