PDA

View Full Version : Help! Protection from chlorine/salt water!??

Eternal.Fiend
July 11th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Ok, I'm going on holiday in France at the start of August and have every thing else ready part from what hair stuff to take?!
We have a private pool and I love swimming so I'll probably in there for most of the holiday! :P ha ha But I'm sure that we'll also be going to the beach and stuff, because my Dad can never sit still, even on holiday!

So my hair care routine is normally that I use the tresemme naturals shampoo and conditioner a couple of times a week, sometimes using coconut oil overnight before washing it out and I am a dry shampoo addict.. I also have coloured my hair purple.

So, I've heard some things about putting coconut oil on your hair before going in the water, but I'm worried that it's going to melt into the water? That won't be nice for everyone else :rolleyes: And I'm assuming the best thing is too wash the pool water out of my hair, but is it a better idea to move to a milder shampoo? Or even to using silicones? I'm not against them, especially as I'll be wearing my hair up a lot so it won't matter if it's a little weighed down...

So confused?! Please help?? I'd love you all forever!

Firefox7275
July 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Coconut oil and a cute swimming cap for pool and sea: you should not use oil or conditioner in a pool without a cap you would contaminate the water, feed bacteria and render the pool chemicals less effective. http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf

If you are not in the water consider a close weave sunhat or UV Buff http://www.buffwear.co.uk/high-uv-protection-buff

You would be wanting to use a chelating product to shift chlorine, ION do a swimmers shampoo and Malibu C do chelating sachets that both are sulphate free - I *think* they are both available at Sallys in the UK but please check the ingredients in case they are not the same as the US versions.

AFAIK silicones don't have any particular protective benefits. A styling product containing polyquat-59 might be worth hunting down
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/polyquaternium-59-sun-protection-for-your-curls

Anje
July 11th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Best possible way to do it:
Wet your hair with fresh water really well before getting in the pool/ocean. (Your hair will absorb water. Might as well pick the nice water for it to absorb, right?) Stick it up in a waterproof swim cap. Wash hair afterward with something mild (CO is popular for this) to get any pool water out, while your hair is still wet.

More realistic for people not willing to do the swim cap thing:
Wet your hair with fresh water. Put it up so it's not constantly hanging in the pool water. Don't let the pool water dry on your head. Wash it afterward.

Coconut oil and conditioner are often suggested as leave-ins for the pool, and just as often discouraged as being bad for the pool, filters, environment (in natural bodies of water), etc. I can't really speak either way to how well they work. But at least reducing the amount of pool water that your hair can absorb is easy, and it won't upset the pool maintenance folks.

jacqueline101
July 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'd recommend a swim cap and coconut oil. Then I'd use a leave in conditioner after you wash the pool or sea water out.