PDA

View Full Version : Dust particles creating tangles

stachelbeere
July 11th, 2013, 04:39 AM
This has been my main problems since I started detangling my hair gently and treating it like ancient lace - I discovered that 99% of the tangles I get are created by dust particles. The last 3 inches of my hair is processed hair - with various hair dyes from past years. When I tug a section of my hair and run my fingers down the top part is smooth and silky (I have 1b fine hair) and at the ends the hair is sort of... sticky. as in the fingers don't glide but 'jerk' down if you know what I mean.

Anyway - I think that this is the reason why dust particles are in the bottom few inches of my hair and cause nasty, tight tangles which make individual strands bend. They don't break and bend at a 'round' 90 degree angle once I detangle them. Fortunately I learned to discover and detangle them before I pull them tight. Which doesn't mean that pulling them tight doesn't occur anymore :(
The main damage I get these days is breakage, not split ends. I blame the dust ;)

So my questions are:
Is there any way of avoiding dust particles and these tangles, like brushing them out with a cheesecloth on a brush? (thought about this but I don't own a brush)
Should I cut those individual strands that bend at a round angle?
Any other suggestions?

allycat
July 11th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I had that problem when I oiled my ends. I really wanted to like oils, but now that I'm just conditioning my hair and skipping the oil I don't get the dust clinging and causing tangles anymore. Also, I start to get the tangly bent ends when I need to do a serious moisturizing treatment. Usually fixes things right away.

Good luck in solving the problem.

lulana
July 11th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Have the same Problem, especially when i used hair soap, guess sometimes it has to do with the charge of your conditioner i get this problem a lot more when i use conditioner then when i use none.
I have a very fine dust comb and i bun a lot so that my hair is save from to much dust (i don't have a dusty home but i work with wood sometimes and there are always dust particles in the air)

Lunadriael
July 11th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I have this problem too. I do find brushing regularly with a tangle teezer helps to get the worst out, but I think it's the main cause of damage in my hair as well. :( There are certain things I wear or sleep on that can make it worse, like my fluffy dressing gown. I know if I wear that I'll have loads of purple fluff in my hair after. Sigh.

stachelbeere
July 11th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Also, I start to get the tangly bent ends when I need to do a serious moisturizing treatment. Usually fixes things right away.

That's interesting and makes so much sense. My ends tend to get dry - I shall see into that, thank you! :)

stachelbeere
July 11th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Argh, I know what you mean. In my case it's random dust that is stuck in those bottom few inches. I have a fine tooth comb - maybe that'll help as well?

Firefox7275
July 11th, 2013, 11:37 AM
What are you using on your ends that is building up to become sticky? You might try treating the damaged areas with ingredients that will partly penetrate and partly adhere to the surface patch repairing but ensuring you rinse thoroughly after a reasonably long 'process' time. Beneficial ingredients for porous or damaged hair include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol. Research shows a pre-wash overnight oiling with coconut oil is highly effective and that won't leave you with the same level of residue as a post wash or daily oiling.

Also have you chelated recently?

LadyLongLocks
July 11th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I use a soft BBB to remove dust.

jacqueline101
July 11th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I've had issues with cat hair in my hair and Bbb does help.

ravenreed
July 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I have mostly given up oiling because it attracts ridiculous amounts of dust and cat hair to my hair. Not rinsing my conditioner out well enough also can do the same. If I must oil, I usually do so about a half-hour to an hour before washing it. I also snip ANY odd ends- bent, split, clubbed, crimped... if it feels/looks significantly different from it's mates, then :scissors:!

goldloli
July 11th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I stopped using leave ins because they made it worse, any kind of residue makes it worse. My tangles halved when i stopped. 2nd the bbb to brush the lint/dust tangles out. I remember spidermom having this problem real bad and lately she said she has a reduction in splits n stuff, so perhaps she has stumbled upon a solution?

stachelbeere
July 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I have mostly given up oiling because it attracts ridiculous amounts of dust and cat hair to my hair. Not rinsing my conditioner out well enough also can do the same. If I must oil, I usually do so about a half-hour to an hour before washing it. I also snip ANY odd ends- bent, split, clubbed, crimped... if it feels/looks significantly different from it's mates, then :scissors:!

oh wow, I am not that strict with my ends! Maybe I should be...

What are you using on your ends that is building up to become sticky? You might try treating the damaged areas with ingredients that will partly penetrate and partly adhere to the surface patch repairing but ensuring you rinse thoroughly after a reasonably long 'process' time. Beneficial ingredients for porous or damaged hair include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol. Research shows a pre-wash overnight oiling with coconut oil is highly effective and that won't leave you with the same level of residue as a post wash or daily oiling.

Also have you chelated recently?

Well, I my routine involves WO washes followed by acidic rinses because of the hard water area I live in - do acidic rinses count as chelating? They definitely help in eliminating any buildup coming from the hard water. I also oil the very ends with coconut oil, sometimes a tiny bit of EVOO, I try not to over-oil them.
what products are used to chelate?

I haven't done any protein masks in a while - maybe I should see into that - what is hydrolysed protein, does it occur in 'nature' or can I only find it in a bottle? :)

stachelbeere
July 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I use a soft BBB to remove dust.

I've had issues with cat hair in my hair and Bbb does help.

I stopped using leave ins because they made it worse, any kind of residue makes it worse. My tangles halved when i stopped. 2nd the bbb to brush the lint/dust tangles out. I remember spidermom having this problem real bad and lately she said she has a reduction in splits n stuff, so perhaps she has stumbled upon a solution?

a BBB. okay. I'm going to find a BBB thread to educate myself then. Unless you have any specific advice as for BBBs for fine hair? The one I was using a while ago wasn't really beneficial, it caused a lot of damage and it ripped a lot of my hair out, it probably was too hard. I now have one of these soft BBB for babies, it's not really effective in brushing hair though, it only brushes the 'outer surface' if you know what I mean.

I'd love to hear spidermom's advice btw.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions! <3

ravenreed
July 12th, 2013, 06:06 PM
You could be having build up from a combo of hard water and oils. Everything builds up in my hair over time because of the hard water where I live. Perhaps you need to clarify?

oh wow, I am not that strict with my ends! Maybe I should be...

Well, I my routine involves WO washes followed by acidic rinses because of the hard water area I live in - do acidic rinses count as chelating? They definitely help in eliminating any buildup coming from the hard water. I also oil the very ends with coconut oil, sometimes a tiny bit of EVOO, I try not to over-oil them.
what products are used to chelate?

I haven't done any protein masks in a while - maybe I should see into that - what is hydrolysed protein, does it occur in 'nature' or can I only find it in a bottle? :)