PDA

View Full Version : My hair story - help needed :)

coconutinsight
July 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM
So this is my hair story:
When I was a child my hair was curly then at around 5 years old it started to be straight really straight and when I was around 10 I had really long straight hair and went to the hairdresser for a trim, and she cut it really short and in many layers (it was chin lenght)
Since then my hair became curly again but I didn't like my hair so short and curly and began straightening my hair when I was 11 (so bad I know!!) until 3 weeks ago (I'm 21) which means 10 years of constantly damaging my hair which also included a lot of dying my hair (my hair is brown but with a mix of reddish and golden lights and I never enjoyed that colour since it didn't seem natural to me though everyone always compliments it.. so I would always dye it completely brown).
My hair never passes APL lenght and I was wondering of all these factors have contributed to that or if it's my genes ( I hope not and doubt it since my mother and grandmother have managed to grow their hair super long and I've had it long as a kid).
Three weeks ago I FINALLY stopped straightening it, I trimmed it (it's a bit past APL lenght though looks longer now.. I will upload photos when I can) there are no bad or broken ends in my hair and I have dropped shampoo and conditioner and have been using organic ones without sulphates and cones etc..
It looks good now and I hope it will start growing longer now, my goal is Waist.
So I wanted to hear some opinions about this whole situation and maybe some tips, and if anyone has a similar story to mine.
Thank you and sorry for the long post and my english (it's my second language)
:)

coconutinsight
July 10th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Oh and also I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) and I think there is also a relation to my lack of hair growth because of the hormonal situation.

coconutinsight
July 10th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98703463@N03/9257217937
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98703463@N03/9257216633/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98703463@N03/9259998840/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98703463@N03/9260000260/

Sorry for bad quality but my camera isn't working right now.

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Hi there! Well done on beginning your healthy hair journey.

I also have PCOS and can relate to the hormone situation. What's your problem - oestrogen or testosterone dominance, or a lack of progesterone? Drinking three cups of green tea is fantastic for balancing hormones; evening primrose oil supplements, a multivitamin and agnus castus also work well. Exercise is great for binding up your testosterone; it's very important to stop that from converting into DHT (which can give you acne and, yes, problems with your hair density and growth). Weight training is great for PCOS. I'd also recommend cutting your intake of simple carbs if you haven't done so already and beginning a fruit and vegetable diet (with some lean meat if you're an omnivore, such as chicken). Try to avoid foods with a high glycemic index as this is especially good at messing up our hormones. Attempt to control and deal with any stress in your life. I do these things and my hair grows half an inch a month, although I don't have a problem with my insulin (but these tips should help you deal with it anyway if you have it).

I do think it's more likely that your hair was breaking off due to damage than not growing though. Try to only dye your roots if you dye your hair, and pre-oil your hair before doing so. ALso research ways of taking care of your hair, this board is chock full of them.

Also, embrace your inner-curly. Curly hair is beautiful!

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM

I also have PCOS and can relate to the hormone situation. What's your problem - oestrogen or testosterone dominance, or a lack of progesterone? Drinking three cups of green tea is fantastic for balancing hormones; evening primrose oil supplements, a multivitamin and agnus castus also work well. Exercise is great for binding up your testosterone; it's very important to stop that from converting into DHT (which can give you acne and, yes, problems with your hair density and growth). Weight training is great for PCOS. I'd also recommend cutting your intake of simple carbs if you haven't done so already and beginning a fruit and vegetable diet (with some lean meat if you're an omnivore, such as chicken). Try to avoid foods with a high glycemic index as this is especially good at messing up our hormones. Attempt to control and deal with any stress in your life. I do these things and my hair grows half an inch a month, although I don't have a problem with my insulin (but these tips should help you deal with it anyway if you have it).

I do think it's more likely that your hair was breaking off due to damage than not growing though. Try to only dye your roots if you dye your hair, and pre-oil your hair before doing so. ALso research ways of taking care of your hair, this board is chock full of them.

coconutinsight
July 11th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Hello, thank you I had to stop taking the pill and now will need to take hormonal shots (ok this probably makes no sence but I don't remember if this is the correct word in english ) I have never had weight gain, I'vealways been skinny but I do however have acne problems which seem to not dissapear! I'm trying to improve my diet (which was what the doctor told me to 2 weeks ago) which has been hard these weeks because I'm at the middle of lots of university exams and orals and need carbs and comforting food haha but I will manage :) I hope the shots will help me and make my hormones chill downand balance themselves hehe. Thank you for your very usefull tips :)
I have decided not to dye it again and if I do I think I'll try henna. The photos did not work, have no ideia why, i'll get to that later.
Thank you again :)

Firefox7275
July 11th, 2013, 11:46 AM
For PCOS oily fish, oily fish, oily fish, low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables, mineral and fibre rich foods like seeds, other seafood, organ meats like liver. Limit meat from farmed land animals, an excess of animal protein and animal fats is pro inflammatory and some believe the hormones in battery meat are detrimental. You can still have carbs just select the lowest glycaemic index ones - beans, lentils, barley, low sugar fruit. Evening primrose is packed with omega-6s most of which are pro inflammatory, very few westerners need more omega-6s quite the reverse: if you are taking in plenty of omega-3s and then want to add GLA (the only anti inflammatory omega-6 and the active in EPO) borage oil is a much richer source. A very low glycaemic index, nutrient dense diet can aid concentration and learning.

jacqueline101
July 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I'd try the diet suggestion made by foxfire and maybe a good multivitamin is in order.

jeanniet
July 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
You've gotten some good advice about the PCOS aspect. It's very likely that the lack of growth is simply due to damage, so I would work on maintaining at this length and doing regular trims until you grow most of the damage out. Remember that if you've been straightening, the entire length of your hair is going to be damaged, but the greatest amount of damage will be on the oldest hair (your ends). So the only way to get rid of the damage is to grow it out and cut it off. Over time you should see the true texture of your hair, which may turn out to be quite curly.

coconutinsight
July 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Thank you all for the GREAT advice :)