PDA

View Full Version : Haircut tears😥 hair growth tips?

ThisDreamer
July 10th, 2013, 06:46 PM
This is a classic, teary eyed rant over 'shear happy' hairdressers.

I went to get my waist length, wavy hair cut today. I wanted a couple choppy, messy layers put in for a sexy 'bed head' look as my hair was already very good at that. Somehow in lost translation it went from putting in layers to thinning. My hair has no layers, but is now half - An entire HALF - the thickness that it was. I had thick, full hair, now its 'normal' and im crying rivers. You should have seen the amount of hair on the floor. It looks no different. Just thinner.
I dont know why i didnt scream out for her to stop. I suppose my brain was so horror struck by watching her slid that razor down my hair that it lost all control of motor function compleatly. I had just gotten my hair back to a happy place from three years ago when i had asked for shoulder leangth and gotten ear leangth. Im in such an utter depression no one wants to come near me. I touch my length and it feels as if nothings there

rant aside, im looking for hair growth tips. Anything and everything from nutrition to rubbing some concoction in my hair from the other side of the world (must be all natural). ANY idea, im willing to try. Im already water mostly with green tea thrown in there as a wash. Please, lend me your thoughts?

P.S, hair dressers are never happening again. Ever.

dulce
July 10th, 2013, 07:07 PM
All I can say is check out the CREACLIP,it cuts blunt,u and v hems and does layers.There are demos on utube.We have all had your experience at some point,it's awful but then you learn to do your own hair.

ThisDreamer
July 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM
@dulce thank you, i will deffinately check this out. Ive tried cutting my own hair before and back out every time. I deffinately will be doing my own hair from now on though, even if i have to take some sort of class.

kysgrl
July 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Oh how awful! My hairdresser is pretty scissor happy too. But she is one of only 2 that has made my hair look like I want.

ThisDreamer
July 10th, 2013, 07:45 PM
@kysgrl i wish i could find one id be comfortable with, like you seemed to have found. But at this point im to terrified to go to another hair snipper.

PeacenQuietGal
July 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I'm so sorry Deamer, how far down did she start "layering"? Hopefully, worst case, you can trim to BSL? Only if you wanted to though. I had essentially the same experience recently; it seems that layers nowadays means skidding a razor down the legnth? It's like they don't *listen*; they'll only do what they know how to do, no matter what you are saying? One trick ponies! Anyway, I hope that tomorrow it will look better, and that you receive some compliments on your hair. :grouphug: :puppy:

ThisDreamer
July 10th, 2013, 08:04 PM
@quietgirl that is exactly it!! I was trying to give her extreamly detailed instruction so any 'bad hair cut' syndrome would be minimal, but any time i would say two words she was suddenly talking over me. I even at one point had said "DO NOT THIN". I dont understand it. It does seems all anyone uses is razors these days. I swear im going to go into cosmetology for for sole purpose of running a salon who will LISTEN, take their time and go slow. More can always be taken off, the opposite...not so much. Another bonus is that it could be a 100% organic product salon: coconut oils, herbs, henna offerd as a dye....

I had such a hard time keeping her chemical ladden products out of my hair.

She started about 2 inches from the scalp. I don think i could ever take my hair to bsl though, (not that it hasn't crossed my mind in the last hr...) but its not overly thin, but its not my cherished crown of glory anymore either. I think i will let it grow with the length still attached. My heart can't take anymore fallen strands lol.

Thanks so much:)

Not Lynn Merely
July 10th, 2013, 08:58 PM
You poor thing! *hugs* What a nightmare...

1) Daily scalp massage. [I have never kept it up enough, but others have had good results.]
2) If it is natural enough for you, Hair/Skin/Nails or pre-natal vitamins. [I take just biotin, and my leg hair grows much more quickly than before (I have a hard time measuring my normal hair).]
3) Castor oil on scalp. [I don't use it on my scalp (currently I'm NW/SO, so that wouldn't work so well), but my lashes and eyebrows have really improved and grown better since I started using my OCM mix (1/3 castor oil, 2/3 jojoba, a few drops lavender) as my moisturizer.]

ThisDreamer
July 10th, 2013, 09:33 PM
@not lynn merely Oooo, scalp massage sounds like a very good one to try. Is there a special way to do it?

Im (mostly, aside from some tea and AVC) water only. So im not sure how good oil in the hair would be for me either. Deff would like the eyelash benifits though☺

Hows the nw/so working for you? Does the grease ever come under control?

Lalital
July 10th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Thisdreamer. It is a story I know too well along with many others on this site. If there's one valuable thing I've learnt from these forums is to learn to cut your own hair (or have a trusted friend help). I shaved my head 10 1/2years ago which means my hair should be knee length by now - it's between hip and TBL!! 10 years! That's because I trusted a hairdresser who chopped off 3 - 4 inches every time I saw her and I wondered why my hair wouldn't grow. The realisation came when I went in with almost waist length hair for another "trim" and came out with APL - WTF! I decided to do my own trimming (Feye's method) and it has grown long, thick and healthy ever since. Two days ago was another milestone for me as I really wanted to use my Crea clip for my hemline. I entrusted my boyfriend, (big scary decision), with the scissors - he took a little off at a time and did a beautiful job. I'm so happy with it and something feels so wonderful about taking control of your own hair. Even if you mess it up a little, it's still so much better than a hairdressing mess and you feel proud of doing it yourself.
Good luck - I find scalp massages very good for stimulating hair growth, :)

Leeloo
July 10th, 2013, 10:05 PM
So sorry to hear that, you poor thing. What you need now is a very healthy diet and try 50/50 castor and avocado oil on scalp for a couple of hours before wash.

ExpectoPatronum
July 10th, 2013, 11:24 PM
You should try the benign neglect method. Basically, you just put it up and forget about it. You won't notice the missing length as much if it's up and out of the way. Then one day, you'll take your hair down and notice it's gotten a lot longer! It's the method I'm currently using.

ThisDreamer
July 11th, 2013, 01:43 AM
LeeLoo, Will either of the oils take the color out of my hair like i hear olive oil can do? I have henna and indigo, and im not looking for it to fade, but really would like to try this.

ExpectoPatronum, How long should i leave my hair up?

lapushka
July 11th, 2013, 08:22 AM
ExpectoPatronum, How long should i leave my hair up?

You could do a new updo every day. This isn't about keeping it up 24/7.

earthybee
July 11th, 2013, 08:41 AM
:( I feel so bad for you! This just happened to me as well. Four inches and layers :( Never ever again. Big hugs to you!

ThisDreamer
July 11th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I was actually wondering how long i should keep putting it up:) a month? Two?

�� Four inches seems so scary to me! Im so sorry!
Im glad that she at least didn't touch the actual length. She tried, wanted to give me an 'eyelash trim'. But something said no way! And im so glad i did. Id hate to find out her definition of a 'trim'.

ExpectoPatronum
July 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I was actually wondering how long i should keep putting it up:) a month? Two?

�� Four inches seems so scary to me! Im so sorry!
Im glad that she at least didn't touch the actual length. She tried, wanted to give me an 'eyelash trim'. But something said no way! And im so glad i did. Id hate to find out her definition of a 'trim'.

You just keep putting it up as long as you want to, really. You might only need a month or two until your hair grows out a bit; or you might decide you like doing updos and keep doing them indefinitely! It's the method I'm currently using in order to try to learn more updos and to protect my hair from mechanical damage seeing as it's really windy where I live. I'm also taking biotin (doesn't seem to be helping my hair as much as it is my nails) and folic acid (again, I don't know if this is helping). I also try to do a hot oil treatment with coconut oil at least once a week to help counteract chlorine damage from swimming four days a week. The coconut oil treatment is really the only 'big' thing I do to my hair now.

Doing this, my growth rate has been about an inch a month. Everyone will have different rates of course. :)

spidermom
July 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I hope the haircut settles in to look better as you grow along. I've been horrified by a haircut in the past during the first several days, then it turns out to be not so bad. Good luck!

Learning to cut your own hair is a valuable skill to have, although there are good hair stylists out there. I have one and have had others in the past. You have to be assertive, though. If anybody ever started talking over me while I was explaining what I wanted, I'd say "never mind" and walk out of there. Assertiveness is most definitely a good skill to have (I could use more of it).

ThisDreamer
July 11th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I really do wish i had just gotten up and walked out.

spidermom
July 11th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Puttting your hair up and trying to forget about it is a really good technique for helping your hair grow. I remember in the past when I'd check my hair length in the mirror about 9 times per day to see if it had grown, and guess what? I saw NO progress. Of course not! Even the fastest growing hair doesn't get longer in only 2-3 hours. I decided that I would put it up every single morning without looking at the length at all. I would only allow myself to check the length on the first day of every month. Then I was able to see a little progress.

I use the same technique now when I'm sick and tired of my hair and think I need a change. I put my hair up and experiment with makeup or clothing instead. Those changes are far less permanent and disappointing.

rachelbethany
July 11th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Man, that is dreadful. If you do ever want a professional cut, but want to avoid that kind of thing and stay out of the salons, I suggest making friends with a hair stylist. I have a couple friends who went to Paul Mitchell (a pretty renowned cosmetology school), and though they treat their clients in the salon more by the rules they were taught (caught off ALL damage, encourage dye, etc.), they seem much more understanding with their true friends when cutting their hair outside of the salon. It becomes more about what the person really wants, and not the weird world of hair school, which is how all hair stylists should be, anyway, but . . .
You might be surprised by how quickly your hair thickens back up. I have quite thin/fine hair naturally, and yet the benign neglect rule has been a lifesaver for me. And I never knew my hair could do so much if I just basically left it alone! Vitamins are good, but eating nutrient-rich foods (fish, sweet potatoes, seeds, etc.) is even better. As far as supplements go, though, I did find that my hair seemed to grow a bit more when I took stinging nettle leaf every day (though I was actually taking it for seasonal allergies, which it also did wonders for). The more regularly I stimulate/massage my scalp, the more growth I notice, too. Best wishes, and try to focus on the fact that your hair is growing every second!

jacqueline101
July 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Check out my blog on childhood friend I have a link to jjj long locks self trim method.

ThisDreamer
July 11th, 2013, 06:07 PM
My grandma has a freind whos a hair stylist, hmmmmm....

I will check out the link when i can.

I think i must deffinately do the neglect thing. Now to find some unique and edgy updo's. good exuse to buy a wood hair stick from etsy too.

Anyone have a favorite updo?

spirals
July 11th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I have thinned ends, but they are the result of my own decision. I took shears, not a razor, to them when it was APL. I was extremely happy with them until I got past BSL. I could trim, but I'm not until I hit hip. My point is that they don't bother me much because I wear it up every day. It doesn't have to be a bun; my favorite updo is twin braids. My go-to bun, though, is the orchid bun. I like it because I can either make it with the stick or make it and then insert the stick. Pins work, too.

Of the Fae
July 12th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Oh :( How nasty...
I know how it feels, it happened to me quite a few times... I also recommend scalp massage and lots of fruit 'n veg to make it grow faster!
Wearing it up is also a good one. Layers get splits faster I heard, so maybe better too. Anyway the best of luck, I'm sure you will grow in no time :)

Of the Fae
July 12th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Oh :( How nasty...
I know how it feels, it happened to me quite a few times... I also recommend scalp massage and lots of fruit 'n veg to make it grow faster!
Wearing it up is also a good one. Layers get splits faster I heard, so maybe better too. Anyway the best of luck, I'm sure you will grow in no time :)

woodswanderer
July 12th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I would be furious. I'm so sorry for you. The worst I ever had was 5 inches instead of 3.

LadyLongLocks
July 12th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Check out my blog on childhood friend I have a link to jjj long locks self trim method.

My method self trim is for hair that is around classic length or longer. I never tried this method with shorter hair than that.
The correct name is JJJLONGHAIR, not JJJ Long Locks.Thanks for mentioning me.
My basic photos how I self trim are :DHERE:) (http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method) I guess my self trim photo's are one of the few out there.

ThisDreamer, I feel badly this happened to you. Hang in there, it will grow back and you have our support. Not all hair dressers are bad, you got a bad one. Maybe you can add a review online of this salon/hairdresser. I use YELP. It helps to warn people after a bad experience or read up before you go (in the USA) I wrote a nasty but honest one after a hairdresser fried my Moms hair because she was talking on the phone and ignoring her during a perm.

Fairytale
July 12th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I know how you feel but it could always be worse , like me I cut my hair from waist to pixie in Oct. for a new change:rolleyes: NEVER AGAIN !!!!!! :guns:

HintOfMint
July 12th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I'm really surprised because usually if you specifically say no thinning and no razors, they tend to do what you say (I've found). They may grumble a little and roll their eyes, but they won't do it. I'm sorry you had such bad luck with this one.

All I can say is that I relate to losing something you felt so proud of. Years ago, I grew out my hair and I was so proud of it, but I used so much heat on it, I had to chop it off to my shoulders. I brought it on myself, but I remember feeling so awful because I had come to rely on my hair as my "glory." I felt like it was the one thing that made me attractive. All I can say is, the feelings pass, your hair will grow and it will get better. The thickness will return in time. In the meantime, maybe you could experiment with caruso rollers to pump up the volume and waves?

ThisDreamer
July 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM
The word pixie cut makes shiver. What a big step that was! Deffinately a change.

My hair is already naturally 'wurly', so it sort of helps with the volume and masking the thining, but you can deffinately still tell its thinner if youve seen me before. My hair really is my pride and glory, im very specific about it and dote on it more than the average. My heart is still breaking two days later.

I was very suprised too, i cant beleive she thinned with a razor to do "layers". My mom got a cut there with me that day, while better, hers isn't looking so good either.

Not Lynn Merely
July 12th, 2013, 05:49 PM
@not lynn merely Oooo, scalp massage sounds like a very good one to try. Is there a special way to do it?

Im (mostly, aside from some tea and AVC) water only. So im not sure how good oil in the hair would be for me either. Deff would like the eyelash benifits though☺

Hows the nw/so working for you? Does the grease ever come under control?

The massage method that tends to be recommended (and is part of NW/SO) is to start by placing your fingertips on your scalp, between the roots as best you can, so that you are touching skin. Press down a little and move your fingertips back and forth so that they stay on the same bit of skin and the scalp moves over your head. Place your fingertips elsewhere on the scalp, and repeat. I like to start at my temples, as the hair is thinnest in that place. There should be no friction against the hair. The idea is that this increases blood flow to the scalp, spurring increases in hair growth rate and possibly encouraging the growth of new hairs.

Oh, you're right. I don't know if you could get a large quantity of oil back out with just water.

Really off-topic:
I love NW/SO (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144). I had been interested in it intellectually only (I didn't really think it could work, foolish me!), but then I forgot to wash my hair for around a week when a friend was getting married, back in October around 9 months ago. When I finally realized, I figured I would just try out NW/SO for as long as I could stand it. At first my hair got really flat and oily and lost all volume. I just bunned it, SMPed, and ignored it the rest of the time. Then I started having my roots lift a little, while still looking oily. Over time, it feels like my hair has been gradually transitioning from roots downward. The sebum makes my hair stay really nicely in updos (no fly-aways!), and I have gotten to the point where I could wear my hair down in public if I chose (except one week a month, because that time causes sebum production like crazy). I have had dryness at my ends, so a couple weeks ago I wet the last two feet or so and applied a light layer of coconut oil over it. It did the trick.

spidermom
July 12th, 2013, 06:47 PM
My favorite style is the french twist. I've recently discovered a way to do it at my length and wear it like that more days than not.

Artisticat
July 12th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I have no tips, but patience. Although my hair was not as long as yours when I had the "disaster" happen to me 1 1/2 years ago....it still stings.
Take care and it will be beautiful like you want/deserve it once again!
I shudder to think how LONG my hair would have been had I left it alone.

Hugs to you. :heart:

ThisDreamer
July 13th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Something else I've noticed is that my curls seem to be disappearing since the hair cut, even in the front (which thank the gods she stayed away from). I cant explain it, but its scaring me. I might as well have a relationship with my curls, and to see them do this is killing me.

Ive started scalp massages, and bought some rosemary essential oil to go on my scalp. Hopefully it will help speed things along.

Id like to someday be nw/so mostly, im just having a hard time even dealing with the wo. The roots just look so thick.

Leeloo
July 13th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Thisdreamer, sorry for a late response. castor oil might darken your hair.

Isilme
July 14th, 2013, 05:08 AM
If you aren't happy with a cut and the stylist did something you specifically said not to you should go back! It's just the same as if you bought something that wasn't what the seller promised, go back and explain that this wasn't what you asked for.

Tini'sNewHair
July 14th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Never going to a hairdresser again for that same reason!!! every single time i went for a hairstyle cut or just to get a trim, someone always did it badly wrong!!!! They never take the time to LISTEN and often the chopping starts before i even finish my sentence. Soooo frustrating and scary!!! I been keeping an eye out on youtube to see if i could find some good videos of how to trim my own hair... when the time comes, i will do it but im scared to think of how badly wrong i could get it to :))

ThisDreamer
July 14th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for letting me know about the castor oil.

I don't know if I would want to go back, im a wimp and there kinda of an old work friend of my moms.

I totally understand. Right before i start cutting I think I got it, i'll cut here, shape this a little here, make this a long layer here... And then I go to do it and I can't. i freeze up and think of all the mistakes these trained hairdressers have made and how easy it would be for me to make a worse mistake.

Not Lynn Merely
July 15th, 2013, 05:40 PM
My favorite style is the french twist. I've recently discovered a way to do it at my length and wear it like that more days than not.

Ooo! Would you post a description or link to a video? I would love something like this. I didn't learn to do normal French twists until my hair was too long.

Never going to a hairdresser again for that same reason!!! every single time i went for a hairstyle cut or just to get a trim, someone always did it badly wrong!!!! They never take the time to LISTEN and often the chopping starts before i even finish my sentence. Soooo frustrating and scary!!! I been keeping an eye out on youtube to see if i could find some good videos of how to trim my own hair... when the time comes, i will do it but im scared to think of how badly wrong i could get it to :))

Thanks for letting me know about the castor oil.

I don't know if I would want to go back, im a wimp and there kinda of an old work friend of my moms.

I totally understand. Right before i start cutting I think I got it, i'll cut here, shape this a little here, make this a long layer here... And then I go to do it and I can't. i freeze up and think of all the mistakes these trained hairdressers have made and how easy it would be for me to make a worse mistake.

Don't be afraid to trim your own hair! Many people on the boards love Feye's Self-Trim method. (Habioku's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc) and Feye's instructions (feyeselftrim.livejournal.com) {but the host site, LiveJournal, appears to be down right now}) Just start out trimming off less than you want removed, to see how it looks and if you are getting it to work as you like.

ETA: It looks like Feye's instructions are back up!

Komao
July 25th, 2013, 03:28 PM
All I can say is check out the CREACLIP,it cuts blunt,u and v hems and does layers.There are demos on utube.We have all had your experience at some point,it's awful but then you learn to do your own hair.

I feel very badly for ThisDreamer, as you have expressed. My hair had about 2.5" to go to get to WL and I tried trimming it myself. I messed up and had taken more than an inch off when it only needed a dusting. Then I continued to try to straighten it out and lost some more. Have not measured as I felt sick.
I did purchase a Creaclip today and I can't wait. I have to learn to do my own hair, I don't go to salons but I want to learn with a tool as this is not one of my gifts or something I do with any kind of frequency and I don't want to loose any more length, I want it to grow!

swearnsue
July 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I cut my own hair. At first it was scary but it's so empowering to be able to cut your own hair. And think of the money you save that can be spent on hair clips or pizza!

I use Feye's method, a V cut. At least I think that is what I've been doing!

Try not to fret over your hair too much, worry won't help it grow faster.