PDA

View Full Version : Calling all swimmers!

ExpectoPatronum
July 10th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I'm curious as to what you do to keep your hair in good condition?

As of right now, my hair routine for swim is as follows:
-Apply conditioner or oil to hair and put in bun. Then I put on a swim cap.
-Immediately after I get out of the pool, I shower and wash my hair with Ultra Swim shampoo and condition again. (Ultra Swim has been a life saver for my hair)
-On days I don't have swim, I try not to wash my hair and do some oil treatments on it with coconut oil.

That's what I do and it works fairly well for me. My ends are a little dry, but they're a lot better than they were last year when I did almost nothing to keep my hair in good condition.

If you're into swimming during these lovely summer months, what do you do to keep your hair nice and healthy? I'm always eager to try new things if it means keeping my hair pretty!

Kelikea
July 10th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I condition and bun it for swimming. After, I rinse in the shower and then apply Garnier smoothing conditioning cream and comb through. I try not to wash it again for a few days, or until its gets greasy. I spritz it with conditioner (V05 strawberry) in water in between. I think I'm shampooing once or twice a week.

Angela_Rose
July 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Cool rinse and coconut oil beforehand, then braid. After the swim, another cool rinse and a hit with conditioner.

rut.de.leu
July 11th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I do what Angela_Rose does, though I also add an apple cider vinegar rinse - that's my strategy for chlorinated and non-chlorinated water alike.
I have tried to avoid chlorine since last year, as I dye my hair; my method doesn't protect my color fantastically but it does help.

lulana
July 11th, 2013, 01:54 AM
I saturate all my hair with water before swimming and put some coconut Oil in, then i put it all into my swimming cap and than do CWC afterwards in the shower, helps a lot to minimize the damage they get from chlorine

Emanuelle
July 11th, 2013, 06:06 AM
I'm an avid swimmer, surfer and wakeboarder. I bought a swimmers cap from Speedo. The material is silicones, so it's really good for preventing water getting through!! :) It's made especially for long hair so that's great. I'm glad to have my hair out of the way when I swim and doesn't really get wet.

For extra protection for the very little water that might manage to get in anyway, I either apply a spray leave in to my hair that I made, or Hairveda CoCasta Shikakai oil blend which has moisturizing and protecting oils (great stuff!).