PDA

View Full Version : What pre-LHC habit do you miss the most?

Pages : [1] 2

Hatsumomo
August 31st, 2008, 03:30 AM
Since joining LHC, I've made a conscious effort to cut heatstyling down to once a month at most, not use chemical dyes, not tear when I brush and avoid hairdressers by self-trimming. My hair is much healthier and happier already but I do miss my heatstyling and colouring. Hey, I've got henna now so I'll get used to it ;)

What do you miss about before or do you still do some things?

Guenever
August 31st, 2008, 03:36 AM
What do I miss the most?

My hair spray!

Sarahmoon
August 31st, 2008, 03:47 AM
I miss walking out with uncombed hair... and "fast" showering (shampoo only and for the rest nothing).

Nat242
August 31st, 2008, 04:49 AM
I do miss heatstyling from time to time - I find it harder to think of formal hairstyles now.

Sometimes I miss walking out of the salon with a new, very short, sassy haircut. I loved my short hair, but I'm loving long hair more :D

granitbaby
August 31st, 2008, 05:06 AM
I sometimes miss the terrible habit of back combing/teasing. I was constantly looking for ways to get more volume and that was the easiest way. But I would never go back to that again, my hair is much healthier now.

Mary <><
August 31st, 2008, 05:22 AM
My beloved Chi flatiron! I admit that I have used it 3 times since joining LHC, but that's not too bad considering I used to do it once every 2-3 days after washing. Oh to have 1A hair naturally, LOL!

crystal_89
August 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM
I guess I can't miss hairstyling too much... cos I still do it... but I miss doing it as often as I did. I would have liked to change my hair colour every 6 weeks too... but I know it won't go too well on my hair. I still put heatstyling though.

Carolyn
August 31st, 2008, 07:29 AM
I miss washing my hair 6 or 7 times a week and heat styling it. I also miss wearing it down all the time. I hated going to the salon to get it trimmed every 2-3 months so I don't miss that at all. I also miss buying hair mags and looking for new styles. I used to believe everything they told me :rolleyes:

thankyousir74
August 31st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Alright, I have a question, how bad are "tiny elastics" and by those do you mean like... the ones with no metal parts? Because I use thin ones but with no metal parts...Do they still cause a lot of damage? relatively new concept to me...

AJoifulNoise
August 31st, 2008, 08:29 AM
Something Else

I miss just brushing my hair and heading out the door. Not thinking about tangles and breakage. Not taking my time. Just dragging the brush through in ignorance.

windswept
August 31st, 2008, 09:10 AM
Blowdrying!! <sobs>

prosperina
August 31st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Nothing. I feel liberated. I hated the salon type styling.

Okay, I lied a little. I liked being able to not think about simple activities like brushing/combing. I also liked more frequent washes.

paper
August 31st, 2008, 10:46 AM
I voted for something else......

I miss washing my hair with lots of shampoo, sudsing up, srubbing. And, then rubbing my hair dry with a towel and not having to be so gentle.

bunnii
August 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
blowdrying definately! I miss the smoothness after, but then all the frizziness is because of new growth and that's because of LHC and good hair care :D:D so maybe I don't miss the blowfrying!

Rapunzelwannabe
August 31st, 2008, 10:53 AM
I miss using a hairdryer in the mornings so I didn't drip on the floor when I went to class. I'd never fully blowdry, but I miss it when I need to be someplace early and my hair's still soaking

yogachic
August 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM
I don't miss anything, because the only things I have Added to my routine is oils, only using a wide tooth comb, and putting my hair up at night. I haven't given anything up at all. Only added. Plus I don't heat style and really never did. ( Short term flat iron, and many years ago, curling iron for bangs only)

I had a solia flat iron, but got rid of that a year ago already, and don't miss it, because it totally fried my ends.

LadyMoon11
August 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Ripping a brush through my hair. One of the lethal spiney ones with the plastic bristles with knobs on the top of them.
I shudder at it now, but it made my hair seem nice and smooth- quick and easy.
Obviously it WAS damaging my hair terribly, but it was nice to just rip n' go! :silly:

Lasiren
August 31st, 2008, 02:42 PM
I miss many of these things! Silicones, although sometimes I do still use them...like my boyfriend's garnier fructis shmpoo and conditioner! It smells so heavenly and makes my hair feel so silky...and is full of all kinds of nasty things. How unfortunate.
Heat styling I definitely miss...bye bye perfect Gothic Lolita curls! And of course hair dye...but I don't miss it too much.

Islandgrrl
August 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I miss hot rollers & the dreaded curling iron.

Barca
August 31st, 2008, 04:10 PM
oh how I miss my blowouts from the Dominican salons...It looked beautiful but I know they were cooking my hair!

EvaSimone
August 31st, 2008, 04:17 PM
I miss curling my hair and blowdrying it too. I miss how smooth and silky my hair would look. But I think my hair now is a lot better but sometimes I get the itch to heat style.

xrosiex
August 31st, 2008, 04:51 PM
I miss washing and blow-drying everyday the most. I still blow-dry on the cool setting sometimes.:rolleyes:

Kyamo
August 31st, 2008, 05:05 PM
I miss when washing my hair was super fast, then rubbing it dry with a towel. But only for the speed/convenience, my hair behaves much better now.

Elenna
August 31st, 2008, 05:28 PM
I miss blow drying while curling my hair with a round brush. Hair was a lot straighter.

ChatoyantLocks
August 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Alright, I have a question, how bad are "tiny elastics" and by those do you mean like... the ones with no metal parts? Because I use thin ones but with no metal parts...Do they still cause a lot of damage? relatively new concept to me...

They can cause damage, depending on how you use them. If you use them for making a pony tail, the friction of turning your head can rub your hair against them, and potentially cause breakage over time. Also when you slide them out, they can rub against the whole length of your hair.

If you do want to use them, there are ways to limit damage. Try not to put them in exactly the same spot each time. Don't put them in too tightly. Take them out gently the same way you put them in rather than sliding them along the length of your hair. If they do loosen, don't try to push them back into place - take them all the way out and then redo it. And if possible, try to lean towards styles (such as braids) that put the band near the tips of your hair rather than towards the roots. That way if damage does occur, you only lose a couple of inches, rather than most of the length of the strand.

(/hijack)

ZaBasDa
August 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM
I miss all my fun vegie hair dyes. They weren't bad, but I had to use bleach to get them to show up.

redbark
August 31st, 2008, 10:55 PM
I chose "something else"

I miss having my hair cut in layers(face framing layers) and shampooing everyday and running out the door with wet hair.

I miss sleeping without having to tie my hair every night for fear of breakage.

I miss the hassle-free washes with 'poo only versus the herb-washes I do now.

zen_oven
August 31st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Dunno, I guess I'm one of those who doesn't miss anything. My hair has been a lot better behaved since I changed my habits, so I can't complain. I never did like curling irons/flat irons or blowfrying, so I don't miss those. I've never been wedded very strongly to any particular hair products, so switching to cone-free conditioner wasn't a problem. I'll be dropping sulfates pretty soon and won't miss those.

I guess I do miss just using my old lethal plastic hairbrush with the knobby plastic tines. Used to just rip that sucker through my hair and be done with it. But again, I don't miss it that much. I take some pleasure in carefully combing my hair with a wooden comb when wet or gently brushing with my BBB before oiling. So yeah, I guess I'm pretty satisfied with my new LHC-inspired habits.:cheese:

rapunzhell13
August 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I put my vote down for chemical dyeing. It was always my biggest weakness!

vindo
August 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Being able to wear my hair down without worries..:p

ChatoyantLocks
August 31st, 2008, 11:58 PM
I miss not having to hold my ends up in the air in a little plastic baggie while washing my hair. Having the use of only one hand is challenging. On the plus side, my ends are a lot happier for it.

Sceleste
September 1st, 2008, 02:17 AM
I don't miss box dyes, hair dryer or my old plastic brush... but backcombing. Oh, I wish that wouldn't be damaging. Whenever I was growing my fringe I used to backcomb it and put it up and back.

sapphire-o
September 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM
Let's see, before LHC I whacked my hair with a towel to dry each time. I kinda miss that. I also miss using 2-in1 shampoos, they made washing so easy.

Saranne772
September 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I miss the days of dragging the brush through my hair- it wasnt very healthy but it was quick!

PseudoScot
September 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Free time. :D

No seriously, I didn't do any of those things even before joining LHC. :shrug:

dor3girl
September 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
There are so many--but I would have to say "sea-salt spray"--it made my hair all super-thick. Once I got past BSL it seemed to cause too many splits!

nessthing
September 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM
I miss the short showers where all I had to do was wash my hair with shampoo. I also brushed wet. That was so quick...

sipnsun
September 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
I miss blow drying and hot rolling my hair everyday. I enjoy the way my hair feels now, but I miss how good it could look when I rolled it and backed combed my roots!

I also miss my Paul Mitchell Fast Drying Sculpting spray! I quit using hairspray because I don't have a style I wish to hold anymore.:( I gladly give those things up for long, healthy hair though.

Juneii
September 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
I miss flat ironing, I don't really like the body waves and pillow kinks in my hair >__<

harley mama
September 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM
I miss brushing my hair. You know, the kind of brushing that leaves your
head tingling and you hair a huge ball of frizz?

Yup, I sure miss my brush!

racheal1234
September 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
i miss the salon and the straightner

Sherri
September 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
I thnk i miss the salon and the way they shampoo and condition my hair then after what ever they done to me color, cut, perm... I usually walk out of there feeling like a model, but the next day when i went to fix it my self it just never turned out right.

pinkprincess
September 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I don't really miss any of them much, but occassionally I would like to straighten it. I never blowdryed because it made me hair look poofy. Although m hair is only 1b, it usually has overnight braidwaves so I sometimes want to straighten so it looks closer to waist.

Siava
September 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
I really miss using the flat iron.

Wind Dragon
September 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Not :brickwall: thinking :brickwall: so much :brickwall: about :brickwall: my freaking :brickwall: hair :brickwall: .

LadyMoon11
September 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Not :brickwall: thinking :brickwall: so much :brickwall: about :brickwall: my freaking :brickwall: hair :brickwall: .

HAHA :rollin: Yes- the preoccupation with hair does get a bit out of hand.

Remke
September 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Well, nothing .. I use my henna every 4-6 weeks like I do for 8,5 years (with coconut cream instead of conditioner in the mix). I go to the hairdresser 1 time a year, before my hair obsession I went like 1 in 3 years or some. I've never used a straight/curling iron and I hate the hairdryer, wich I don't have.. (My mom used to blow dry my hair everytime it was washed, and it hurted so bad on my head)
I don't use elatics anymore but my buns and ponytail always fell apart with that so I'm just really happy I've got my toys. Well, when I didn't have my hairtoy addiction I didn't spend money on my hair but then I had a underwear/nighty addiction...

Kaeri
September 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
I realised what I miss - and its none of those listed. I miss standing outside when its windy and feeling my hair being blown about my face - the feel of the wind lifting my hair and blowing bewteen it.

Oh what a pity that tangles and causes trouble for long hair :(

Haith
September 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
I used to put my hair in a high ponytail almost every day... in the same spot. I don't do this anymore, but I still miss it. It was so convenient! I have replaced this with a cinnabun, it just doesn't feel as stylish to me.

Nightshade
September 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Wearing it down more.

But even that's only a maybe. My hair wouldn't be in the shape it's in now if I'd kept it down all the time, so while I miss that once in awhile (and I do still let it down if I'm out shopping or something, just not at work, etc) I'll take the greater payoff of healthier hair :)

bgarrison
September 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Newbie question-- what do you mean by tiny, thin elastics? I always use the covered type, with no metal, but are these harmful as well? Which elastics are best? I scrunchy bun a lot. Will that cause damage?

coolbreeze212
September 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I miss my flatiron.

rubyann
September 7th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Something else...I miss doing whatever to make my hair look nice and not caring/knowing about the damage. Chemical color, perm, heat styling, silicones, sulfates, serious styling products. My hair did look fuller, thicker. Strangely, I like it better now.:shrug:

I miss not caring about hairtoys. I miss not knowing about hairtoys! I've begun quite a collection and have even been known to say that I'm growing my hair so I'll be able to use pretty sticks and forks!

Bene
September 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM
i miss flat irons... i'd do it so my hair was stick straight and shiny. looked really good, actually natural, which is why i can't understand the flat iron hate i see here. maybe those ppl haven't seen a good flat iron job?

but yeah, if it weren't so damaging, i'd do it

Patrycja
September 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I miss the salon :cry: Right before I decided to grow long,I found the greatest hairdresser.She listened to me and did exactly what I asked.I miss the way my hair looked after a cut(a good cut,that is).

I'll go back to her if I need a trim....

Marlowe
September 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Bleaching and dying my hair rainbow colors with Manic Panic type dyes. Probably for the best I quit that, since the dye was starting to irritate my scalp. And of course, now I'm eyeballing henna/indigo as a way to hide the murky blue/green/orange bleached parts as they grow out...

chrissy-b
September 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I would say heat styling, but I still blow fry every now and again. What I really miss is chemical dying. My gray hairs and I don't love each other and cassia only makes them "blonde" for a week or so.

Elanor
August 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Thought I'd bring this up. :coolblue: I miss backcombing, I loved the poofy big ponytails I used to make. Wish there was a way to make really messy ponytails without damaging the crap out of my hair.

redneckprincess
August 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I put chemically dying but I also miss my straightner too.

Gingevere
August 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I just miss brushing my hair quickly without even thinking about causing damage. I used to start at the top and rip through any snarl that got in my way, lol!

Now, of course, I use a comb and try to be as gentle as possible. And when I hear a hair snap, my heart jumps and I get this horrified look on my face!

redneckprincess
August 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
oh and my extentions, well not the extentions to be exact (because my hair WILL get that length soon enough{ha!}) but the fact that they go in and you can wear your hair long and down for a month and when you take them out your hair (whats left of it, lol) has visibally grown. still not worth the headache though

Quixii
August 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Something Else

I miss just brushing my hair and heading out the door. Not thinking about tangles and breakage. Not taking my time. Just dragging the brush through in ignorance.
Yes, exactly this for me as well. I knew my hair looked frizzy, but I never connected it to my brushing it (for some reason) and was fine with just brushing out the tangles and heading off to school. Now I carefully comb it with a wide tooth comb, trying to figure out the perfect balance between combing out the tangles and combing out the curls - which seem so often to roll together. Sigh.

Other than that, I never did most of the bad habits that LHC members don't do. I did the occasional chemical dye - but how else are you supposed to do purple? I still plan on doing purple again in the future. :)

Reptilia
August 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Chemical dyes! I used them a LOT :p

Lemur_Catta
August 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Chemical dyes, expecially non-permanent ones :D I had my hair black, purple and red in the same year :D

swanns
August 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I need a cheese alternative :D

No, seriously, I don't really miss any of those. I only went to the salon about once a year even before I joined LHC, silicons I couldn't pick because I still use them, I quit dying before I joined, and the rest I just generally don't miss at all.

EtherealOde
August 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I miss scrubbing my hair with the towel to dry it after a washing, it felt so good. Breaks my heart knowing how much it contributed to the frizz I ended up with.

I miss my curling iron/flatiron. I could get the straightest hair, or nice big curls so easily. But it also broke and burned my hair, live and learn, eh?

I miss sleeping without braids and especially miss sleeping without a sleep cap on! I am still contemplating spending the cash for silk pillowcases so I can lose the cap. I don't miss the morning tangles and bedhead I used to have however. Soooooooo glad all that is gone! :)

I miss coloring my hair to cover my greys, because it was so fast and easy. But Since stopping the bleach/color routine, and going to henna/cassia, I found the red suits my coloring so much better than the blonde ever did. My hair and my face aren't the same color anymore. I look more vibrant and healthy, and get compliments on my hair now. BIG change for me!

I miss the ignorant blissful days past of not knowing what all the ingredients listed in shampoos and conditioners meant. I used to just pick a product because I liked the way it smelled, and if my hair was halfway decent after using it then it had to be good stuff. Ignorance was surely bliss. Now I carefully read ingredient lists, and have more products than I ever had before, but my hair does look so much prettier that I can hardly complain.

hydrangea
August 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I have to admit...I feel that now that I have no blow dryer in my life I almost have to "plan" out when I'm going to wash my hair. I'm one of those that doesn't like to go to bed with wet hair, or go to work with wet hair. So I kind of have to plan out when I'll wash it. It's definitely worth it though!

Cynder
August 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
None of the above.

I always hated hair styling, too mught time and effort for my lazy self.
Henna gives me a longer lating red than chemical dyes ever did.
I maybe went to a stylest once a year.
I never liked washing my hair every day.

Syaoransbear
August 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I miss not taking about 20 hair vitamins a day ugggh.

I do most of those other things, so I'm not missing too much.

freznow
August 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Not a thing.

Fiferstone
August 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
What Nightshade said :)

I miss going for days at a time with it down, with never a care in the world. However, I've never had it this long before now, and I've got to be doing something right by trying to protect it more in braids/updos. That's about the only thing I do miss, actually.

prettigurl
August 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I miss weekly heat styling

Laylah
August 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
The hair elastics, lol. I've never wanted to dye my hair or heatstyle it. Although I did straighten it once for a wedding. I'm a cheapie so I never went to the salon either. I'm glad to be done with cones because they made my hair frizzy (although they seem to make everyone else's hair smooth...)

I guess I just miss the cheapness of my old shampoo/conditioner and being able to just do a quick ponytail with whatever was on hand, including thin elastics with metal or even plain rubber bands-ouch!

But in all reality my old routine hasn't changed much, and I'm happy with the changes. Oiling my hair is fun. :)

pradabacon
August 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Definitely ripping through tangles with wild abandon using the precious old paddle brush I've owned since the 8th grade. Ahhhh, but I'm never going to part with that brush...even if I actually stop using it altogether (which I certainly haven't yet...just cut back a little :smile:).

lovebug
August 8th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I never did heatstyling and silicones made my hair flat so didn´t use them. But what I do miss is chemical hair colour - it was so quick and there was a wide range of shades to choose from.

AnnaMarie
August 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I had to think about it for a while but I chose heat styling, it was nice having stick straight tangle free hair. I don't really miss anything much about my pre lhc hair care as my hair is sooo much better now, with much less work :p

cockerspaniel9
August 8th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I had (or I still have but dont use..) a wonderful silicone leave in, that made my hair so soft and easy to brush out. I loved it, but now I know better than to use it. Even if im not sure how much damage it really does:rolleyes:

ericthegreat
August 8th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I voted heat-styling because that was the best answer, but it certainly is NOT the case that I have stopped heat-styling my hair completely.

In fact, I blow out and flat iron my hair quite often still. Not on a regular everyday basis, but everytime I have an occasion to go to or some special friends I meeting later. I'll even use a curling iron to style my hair in curls if I'm really feeling fancy for the night.

I have however given up blow drying my hair every single night. Especially in the two years I spent at beauty school, I always blew out my hair pin str8 every night or I'd wake up at 5 AM to do this process. All the students at my school always dressed to the nines and were perfectly coiffed, make-uped, and manicured and so naturally I felt the need to at least keep up appearances along with them.

FallenAngel
August 8th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I really miss going to the salon and being pampered by my favv hair dresser. She is a good friend, and she used to give me cool dyes and cool cuts, knowing exactly what I was after. I love to sit in the chair and chat, dink coffee and look in gossip magasines!

That was relax time for me.

Now I go and do facials in stead to get that pampered feeling! ;)

nicolina
August 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM

:D This made me laugh. And this is absolutely what I miss the most about life before LHC. I think my parents are ready to have me committed...

Brianna
August 8th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I'd have to say, besides having my hair down more, that I miss being able to rub my hair dry with a towel after I've washed it. I was never really into heat styling, but really scrubbing the moisture out of my hair felt so satisfying. Airdrying is boring!

Also, I miss being able to just brush through my hair without a care for breakage. Everything just takes so long now that I actually give a damn. :p

Stephichan
August 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Piling all of my hair on top of my head when shampooing so that I knew I was getting that bottom part of the scalp. I've been using other methods to get that tricky part, but back then (okay, what 2-3 weeks? Not that long, I know) it was so quick and easy. Oh! And rubbing my wet hair with the towel before twisting it into a pseudo-turbin. Very realxing. Until I realized the frizz/damage it was doing. Now... relaxing isn't really the right word.

Centifolia
August 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Definitely wearing always my hair down.

spidermom
August 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Heat styling, definitely. A couple of days ago I had about 2 inches of frizz standing out from the surface of my hair, and nothing worked to smooth it down. It looked terrible, and my DD's flat iron was hanging on the towel bar smirking at me.

Tangles
August 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Being able to scrub the greasiness out of my hair with harsh shampoos. I still do this occasionally, but I have to limit myself to protect my hair and sometimes end up with flathead.

I don't really miss blow drying because wrapping has begun to work better (!!!!!) now that my hair is longer. I don't really miss flat ironing because it never worked very well for me anyway; and I dont 'look good with dead straight hair.

Sissy
August 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I chose heat styling as I no longer use my flat iron, which made my hair look very shiny (though I have no doubt that's part of what caused the damage that makes my hair split so easily at the ends). As for blow drying, I still do that. I try to give it a break sometimes. I have not blown my hair dry the last three or four washes. I wash my hair everyday or every other day. I wish I could stretch the washes further but I love the feeling of showering and having clean feeling hair.

bahannas
August 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I guess I miss the look that the straightener gave me, but I always hated the texture. My hair would get very crunchy and dry feeling.

Aer
August 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I miss being ignorant on split ends. Pre LHC, I didn't really pay attention to them, and I didn't do the tedious job of Search&Destroy. Knowing better now, I spend alot of boring time getting rid of my split ends, I'm prone to them, and I sometimes wish I didn't pay attention at all to them.

Dementia1013
August 8th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I voted 'Heatstyling'

Before I could just give my hair a little flair just by whipping out the curling iron. Now if I want to do that, I find I have to prepare 12 hours in advance with rag/ pillow curls.

Of course on the other hand, the rag/pillow curls look more beautiful and stay in longer than the curling iron curls ever did. :D

Chanterelle
August 8th, 2009, 11:58 AM
None, actually.

I still do everything I used to - blowdrying and silicones, considering chemical dye / highlights. My hair is growing and looks good and I'm happy.

Periwinkle
August 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Brushing! Though if I gave up growing long hair, I'd experiment with chemical dye and heat styling, which I didn't do before LHC.

Roseate
August 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah, the heatstyling.

My hair actually looks better airdryed, but it just takes forever. I don't think heat is the devil for my hair, but now that I know how nice it looks without it, I can't quite bring myself to pick up the dryer. I think six damp cold hours for an awesome result is better than one hot sweaty hour for a mediocre result, so I'm sticking with it.

renarok
August 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I have learned a lot of wonderful information from LHC, but I won't say I have given anything up for good. I will occasionally do any of the above mentioned sins to my hair and not worry at all.

I go to a fantastic hair stylist every 10 weeks to have my roots highlighted. He uses heat to style my hair and I don't cringe (too much:)). I often wear it down, have no objection to cones, will occasionally GENTLY back comb. You name the hair sin, and I probably occasionally commit it.

I don't have a goal of terminal length. I LIKE haircuts. Just small ones.

My hair is so much healthier since I started using the valuable advice I have learned here, but I can't bring myself to adhere fanatically to anything.

Medievalmaniac
August 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I never really did the stuff listed above with any regularity anyway, except for the 'cones (which I didn't know about) and the chemical dying. I do miss dying without feeling horribly guilty about it. I haven't dyed since the end of April, but I have the box and if I can get past the huge guilt barrier I'm going to do it tonight or tomorrow night. I just don't think dying my hair once every four months or so is going to destroy it, especially since that is the only "bad" thing I am doing to it. I am still seriously considering henna, but I'm worried about the end results in terms of color, so I'm still researching that.

UncommonTart
August 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I've never had "high maintenance" hair, but one of the things I most miss is having "wash and go" hair- combing it out on the way out the door and letting it dry loose. (If I try that now I get a wet bum!) I also miss swimming with loose hair. I always had mermaid fantasies as a kid and letting my hair float around me in the water was sort of a way of living those out, I guess. The chlorine and the tangles are just too awful for my hair, though.

Bianca
August 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I miss my flatiron :rolleyes:

And my hair care routine was a lot easier pre-LHC. I would just use any shampoo and conditioner. Today I have to avoid this and that (i'm CO). Style it with gel to get pretty frizz free curls. The good thing though, is that I finally got myself away from hair dye :D

redneckprincess
August 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Piling all of my hair on top of my head when shampooing so that I knew I was getting that bottom part of the scalp. I've been using other methods to get that tricky part, but back then (okay, what 2-3 weeks? Not that long, I know) it was so quick and easy. Oh! And rubbing my wet hair with the towel before twisting it into a pseudo-turbin. Very realxing. Until I realized the frizz/damage it was doing. Now... relaxing isn't really the right word.
that does get easier I have found out and I dont even think about that anymore

Laurel32
August 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Putting a handful of shampoo in my hair and then piling my hair up and getting the whole length all shampooed up and also so heat styling.

Rivanariko
August 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Brushing!! :wail: I have one of those knobbly brushes that feel sooo good against your scalp and leave you hair so smooth and pretty, but you can hear them ripping and tearing your hair to shreds. Even if I very carefully detangle my hair with my fingers, and try to brush very very carefully, I can still feel and hear the strands popping and breaking. My hair is really fine and very fragile, so I have to treat it very gently. I've only brushed it once since joining LHC, and that was before a small trim to make sure that it was all lying completely flat.

I also miss being able to just wear my hair down without a thought. Just jump out of the shower, rub it with a towel, drag my brush through it, and run out the door to let it dry in the wind. My hair is much happier now, and I couldn't be more pleased with the way it is growing, but oh, those were the days...

Charentais
August 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hmmm.

I suppose I miss working up a good lather during a shampoo.

Well, not miss miss. But if I had to pick something, that'd be it.

intothemist1999
August 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Something else = NONE OF IT! None of it was a "habit". It was all work! Curling, blow drying, trips to the salon, yada yada. Now everything's so simple!

Heidi_234
August 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I miss not having 100000 hair styles to choose from, or 10000 ways to air dry it to decide on when I'm out of the shower. I used to have careless times...
Also, and this would be weird, I started combing my hair again after being in LHC for a while, so I miss the ability to lay that evil comb down. Or not to own one in the first place.

irreverent
August 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Sing On! And not getting the Question "Honey??!! Why is there (insert product/substance used on hair) in the Fridge??? Never mind, *sigh* it's hair stuff, right?":rolleyes:

JamieLeigh
August 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I quit doing most of the bad stuff long before I found LHC, thank goodness, but I miss those little tiny plastic-y elastics that I used to do tiny braids with. I now know how to get them out of my hair without damaging it much (nail clippers!! - that hint IS thanks to LHC ;)), but I still shy away from them because I know that constant tiny braiding isn't good.

RoseRedDead
August 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Quoted for truth.

This is about it.

Feye
August 10th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I miss ripping through my hair with a comb without thinking about the consequences. Now I'm so gentle and only fingercomb, and it takes longer time.

Kiraela
August 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Not constantly having to worry where my hair is and/or think about ways to protect it; That and dying probably. Not that I don't love my natural color, but I miss being able to go from reddish to black and back and not caring. I miss my purple!!!

Medievalmaniac
August 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Sing On! And not getting the Question "Honey??!! Why is there (insert product/substance used on hair) in the Fridge??? Never mind, *sigh* it's hair stuff, right?":rolleyes:

This made me laugh so hard, as hard as the heads nbanging against the walls did! lol Because, of course, that was EXACTLY what my DH said when he saw the coconut oil on my dresser... "Why the f-675! do you have coconut oil on your dresser?" it made me just giggle and giggle to see his face as I showed him what I was doing with it - but when I also explained it was why he suddenly can't keep his hands off my hair, he was OK with it...! lol

Hiriel
August 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I don't really miss anything. 4 out of the 5 on the list, I didn't do in the first place. I was still in elementary school the last time my hair was blowdried, or cut by a professional, I've used non-permanent dye once in my life, and the conditioner I used to use was cone-free. Not that I knew, I saw it mentioned here today. I used it because it was cheap. I still use elastics, but they're not very tiny, and have no metal parts.

Wicked Princess
August 13th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I miss heatstyling a LOT. A LOT. A few years ago I permed my hair, but then there were times where I wanted it straight again, so I would flat iron it. Then, of course, I had to touch up the curls, so I would use a curling iron at times too.

To my credit, I never did use hairspray, or styling gel while I committed these sins and I used a nice, leave-in conditioner.

At the beginning of August, I straightened my hair for the first time in seven months, in order to get an accurate length shot. Next January, I intend to straighten it once more, so that I can see my full progress over this year. :)

I do still blow dry my hair maybe twice a month, but always on the coolest setting, and only until my hair is 3/4 of the way dry. I don't have very much time in the morning, and when it's the winter...I don't want my hair to freeze while walking around! This HAS happened to me on more than one occasion!

Leoneska
August 13th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I miss my hairdryer, my flatiron, hairspray, brushing my hair twice a day not thinking about breakage, wearing my hair down most of the time...
But I got used easily to not washing it every day (my washing interval now increased to 5 days without greasy hair).
And my hair is much healthier after only 6 weeks or so at LHC.
Dankeschön!

Neddy
August 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Well, this would be pre-LHC and pre-CG. but one stands out in my mind....
silicones. it was just so easy, you know? slap a little styling cream in, some silicone drops, then a finishing cream that was basically straight cones. My hair was soft and shiny but with no definition. I also miss brushing with my Mason Pearson brush. My curls would be destroyed, but I was very gentle. My hair would look shinier, and the color would pop so much more.

I wouldn't start it up again, now that I know what my hair can look like and that it's possible to have healthy hair and beautiful hair.

Angharad
August 14th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Being able not to think about my hair so much; I used to go swimming without any protection (oiling my hair to protect it) and even to get my hair more bleached from the sun on top of swimming in chloride water I put on some lemon juice and let it dry in the sun and I wasn't worried about the longterm effects at all; that is really a long time ago when I think of it!

Or I used to wear my hair down all the time; now I'm wearing a bun/braid most of the time and even when I wear a braid I think: oh dear, it certainly would have been better to wear it up to prevent possible damage.

I'm always aware of my hair and what harm any circumstances COULD do.

atina
August 15th, 2009, 05:48 AM
oops i'm obviously still new to l h c cos i still love wearing my hair down :o except at work and then i sometimes just clip the front up, dont miss having it cut as been cutting it myself for years ! although now i cut it properly using the guide from l h c :D

Raven2448
August 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I don't really miss anything...in fact, when I had "the big chop" last April and HAD to wash/blowdry and curl every morning to just look decent.. I wanted to cry.

Although, I must admit that I still blow dry my bangs only. I have a cowlick (sp?) on one side of my bang and if I don't blow it flat, I look silly.

windinherhair
August 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I dyed my hair with highlights all last year but I don't really miss it. What I miss the most is using the sponge rollers in my hair and then applying the hairspray when I take out my rollers. My hair is getting longer since I joined LHC, and eventually those sponge rollers aren't going to work. I think they were breaking my hair more, and especially after applying hairspray. I miss the way the style looked on me, but I am happy with the overall health of my hair by not doing it now.

rexy
August 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
^^ I miss my brush too the most. And not washing my hair everyday.

wiggleit76
August 18th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I miss getting my wavy hair permed straight. I could never get the cuticle on the hairs at the back of my head to lie truly flat even with blow drying and straightening irons, but with the perm, my hair was baby soft, and I never had to worry about it getting wet in the rain.

Fractalsofhair
August 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I do miss combing with a fine toothed comb while wet(On a regular basis, and not to define my part, which I still do as my hair is short!), and blowdrying along with a hot curling iron. Overall,I like my LHC hair better than before. Although my hair is still puffy, it's a lot better and just looks to have too much volume as opposed to frizz. Now that my allergies are getting better(YAY!!!!!!! It seems to have happened when I went off BC... Odd, but yay that I can use light products with fragrance again!!! XD), and I can use cones occasionally, I have a lot more options.

I do still backcomb, but I am more careful about it and the removal in particular, and I do still use hairspray a bit to hold that up. But I've stopped using hairspray on a daily basis, and now use oils as opposed to a shine spray. I do sorta miss my old hair color, which seems to have changed with the use of shampoo bars as opposed to a soap based liquid, but the new color is very pretty!

embee
August 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Something else....

My "missing" goes *way* back before LHC. I miss wash-and-wear hair. Now I must set aside a day or evening for hairwashing. When my hair was short, it was hairwash with every shower and run along to wherever I was going.

But then my hair never looked good - I didn't get enough trims and maintenance to keep spiffy.

LittleOrca
August 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Brushing my hair as much as I wanted. I loved to brush it when it was tangle free just to enjoy how smooth it was. Now, I comb when needed, brush VERY rarely, and only after I have combed out all tangles, and keep my hair up even though I want it down more.

dawnss
August 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I miss putting my hair into a ponytail.

Nanni
August 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I'miss my hair-straightner a lot. I still have to blow-dry once a month or so, but I keep it on low setting. I've done good.

Kris Dove
September 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Experimenting with dying it different colours!

jasper
September 13th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I miss hair elastics tight and grippy enough to hold up a high pony tail. I've only been here a month, so maybe I need more time to get over them.

FrozenPrincess
September 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
:scared:
I still do all these things.

maxzeen
September 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
i miss blowfrying my hair and straightening it everyday

glass in bloom
September 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm another one who never really did any of those things. And I haven't decided for sure on my opinion of cones in my hair, but I seem to be doing really well without them.

But I miss my brush, specifically the good scalp scratch. And I miss dancing in just a ponytail and rolling all over the floor. Or even dancing with my hair down. But now I have to put it up or worry about the friction on the floor and tangles.

krazycurlsmatt
September 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I not only miss dying my hair I miss the smell of bleach and hair-dye. and the tingly feeling I'd get from the bleach on my scalp. Oh to have blue hair again. :cheese:

Centifolia
September 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Right now I don't miss anything anymore! I think my hair is becoming more beautiful as I'm treating it well. I can't stop wonderning how my hair will look a year from now.

handsclean
September 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I still use the little clear elastics :) I think they look nicer on the ends of braids.. but I really miss my straightener :( Usually I'm proud of my curls, but then I see someone with their shiny, sleek, straight hair and I wish I still flat ironed.

Eden Iris
September 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
About 40 percent of the time when I went to the salon, I came out with a great hair cut and feeling happy, pretty, and pampered. I miss that, but not enough to start going back (couldn't afford it anyway).

viking_quest
September 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Not really a pre-LHC habit but boy do I miss rollers. My hair looks amazing with them in but it takes forever to do and my hair isn't happy with the blowdrying, hairspray, and tangles.

Scarlett_O
September 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I miss coloring in a way. But, I DON'T miss having to keep my roots done. I miss blow-drying on days when I'm already running late for work, but I don't think anyone can tell if my hair is still damp if I put it up.

silverspun
September 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
The only thing i miss is the long hair i had to chop off due to chemicals and heat damage. If I knew everything then, I would have such long hair now... not so much a fact.

MunchkinBubble
September 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Without heat styling my thin/fine hair usually looks pretty blah. With a hairfryer I could get volume and with a curling iron I could get a smooth and 'styled' look. I'm still working on alternative ways to obtain that finished look without damaging methods. It might take some time, but I'll never go back to frying my hair with heat!

melrose1985
September 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I loved going to the salon to get my hair colored and cut all funky.

Little_Bird
September 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I miss the salon a bit. I actually like hairstyling and hairdressing a lot, so I think it's the thing I miss the most. Sometimes I'll even go with my mom so I can watch the hairdressers working. I don't want them working on my hair tough. If I ever wanted a professional trim again, I would wash and detangle my hair home and only then head to the hairdresser so she/he could just trim it straight for me.

I also miss brushing my hair, I really liked that "dance" :p But oh well, we wavies have other things right? ;)

Green Elf
September 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'd say flat ironing, because I love straight hair on me.
But it was horrible: split ends and dry... so definitely I don't miss anithing, I prefer it to be healthy so that it can be very long :)

Maddy25
September 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I miss straightening my hair all sleek for a night out with the girls. It makes me feel much sexier when I can style it like that!

emeraldfaery
September 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM
Silicones and just doing whatever to it. That's not the LHCs fault though, that's just getting older. I do miss how using 'cones made my hair feel, but oh well.

lavenderblue
September 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
sometime I miss my ignorance, not thinking about cones, how to brush etc etc.

freckles
September 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
blowdrying, although I still do it occasionally.

kirky
September 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
I voted for "Something Else" because my pre-LHC days were full of mistakes.

I used to use my blow dryer and flat iron WAY too often.

I used ponytail holders with metal clasps on them.

I didnt know people oiled their hair.

I had no concept of protecting my hair (buns, braids, ect)

I brushed way too often.

I went to the salon too often for a cut, and to have my hair thinned out. UGH!!

I have learned a lot from everyonehere!!

zombi
September 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I chose other....:

backcombing!

Elvi
September 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Blow drying will be a big question for me, because after gym or swimming and sauna and washing I have to choose, if I prefer to go out with wet hair or prefer to blow dry. In cold wintertime I might choose the dryer. :confused:

Alexannee10
September 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
I miss my CHI flat iron and all of those products .. They smell pretty good and they make my hair really shiny, but it's full of crap for my hair loll.

Tangerine
September 23rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
I ticked other: even though I love doing buns to protect my ends I do sometimes miss just wearing it loose and not giving it a single thought or worry.

prittykitty
September 23rd, 2009, 02:23 AM
Heatstyling is one that I will miss the most. Although I am still doing it somewhat, I am slowly getting away from it. No more feathered hairstyles using heated rollers, curling irons, straightening irons, a blow dryer and using lots of hairspray. I will miss the cute styles but I will NEVER miss the time involved trying to make these styles work. Once my hair grows long enough it will not be such high maintenance anymore but instead will mostly be wash and go.

Rentlle
September 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
the salon :p
I miss sitting in that chair and just letting someone do something with my hair ^^
but I just don't trust hairdressers anymore XD

Ally<3
September 29th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I miss the curling iron and hot rollers. But I used them most when my hair was super long, and I loved the way it looked, so it might be the hair I miss!!

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Silicones, if anything. It was so much easier to achieve shiny look with them. But I am strong. No cones. Ever again. And after few months of coconut oil I can say I have more shiny hair than when I was using cones. So... I don't really miss anything.

.:Alma:.
August 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I miss the unconciusness of dying hair in bright colours...
I used to realize that was damaging my hair, but the red red red of the chemical was worth it... Now I am in peace with my dark henna auburn, but still...

sugarpixie10988
August 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
For me it would be dazing out under the hot shower, I loved that feeling! Sadly, my hair wasn't a fan :p.

chopandchange
August 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Brushing as opposed to combing.

Wearing my hair down.

Lilacs
August 15th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Definitely silicones :(!!! My hair is doing much better without them, but all the products that smell soooo good have cones, cones, cones!

tinti
August 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Nothing, because I do what I did before LHC, but I'm ten thousand times more careful now. I only use the plastic tiny elastics for front braids like I've allways done, they are to tiny for all of my hair. I curl my hair with straightener only for special occations, I never straighten because I think my hair is straight enough even though I have some waves here and there. And I think my hair doesn't care weather I cone or not. I chemical dye, but very rarely, like every 6-8 months and everytime I do I pamper my hair and soak it with conditioner and olive oil/honey. I trim only after I've dyed my hair, to take the splitties away :)

sibiryachka
August 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I do miss the convenience of chemical dying, but my vote was "something else". That something else is my rather impressive collection of French clips. For years my everyday go-to styles were a half-up held with one, or a ponytail held with one. This time last year I would have been able to vote in the poll on hairtoys matching outfits with a resounding "Every time!". When I realized they were the primary culprit in the breakage in my canopy and neck hairs, it was devastating. :(
I've gotten rid of about 80% of them, keeping only the few with the less-damaging construction... And this one super-fancy blingy one which I will be lucky if I have 3 occasions to wear it in the years remaining to me, but it's sooooo pretty and fancy that I really can't make myself give it up yet. Even though it's way too heavy for my current thickness.
Anyway, now I seldom wear a ponytail at all unless it's looped up, and half-up has gone from being my default setting to being the style I reserve for parties or going out to dinner. I really miss it, too.

silverjen
August 15th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I was (am?) a compulsive cutter/trimmer. Even though I KNOW I look better with longer hair, I'd see a cute shorthair girl in a magazine or a movie, and bam! Out come the scissors. Bad, bad, bad. I spent most of my time in shaggy-land growing out one cut after another.

So, what better community to help me break that habit? Looking at the photographs and updos is inspirational.

shawty
August 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I chose heat styling!
I've never been remotely fond of the salon or tiny elastics. I've never dyed my hair for the purpose of covering my natural color - I just used it as part of costumes. And I haven't yet given up cones.

Heat styling, though - I honestly didn't conciously go off it. I LOST my curling iron, straightening iron, and blowdryer. Just lost them! Shortly before joining LHC. I don't miss the curling iron or dryer, but I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had my straightener! *sob*

Lianna
August 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Highlights!

missjessiecakes
August 15th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Well I actually dont miss any of those things because I still *do* them. My roots are chemically dyed for now. I am considering growing it out but if I dont then well its only my roots and they only get dyed every 12ish weeks because the roots blend well with the faded black dye. I will heatstyle when I want, but honestly I dislike all of the hubbub to do with it so it maybe happens once a month, maybe. I never used a blowdryer. I've always combed my hair because its curly and it was always slow because I had a tender scalp. I like my tiny elastics and I have yet to see damage when I do I might consider abandoning them. I can take or leave cones I dont have a problem with them.

I will always love going to the salon. Long or short, I love it.

So I guess I just learned moderation in my habits now but I still do all the things that "bad" because I enjoy how they make me feel. But even when I was a shortie benign neglect suited me just fine. I did not vote

MissManda
August 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
i picked the Something Else option because I don't miss anything to be honest. Admittedly, I didn't do a whole lot of stuff with my hair to begin with (my mommy taught me well :D ). I can get nice curls or waves with buns or braids and I don't mind waiting for my hair to dry too much. I am very happy with the color I get from henna and I don't miss going into salons because they tend to give me headaches.

I am happy to have stopped using cones because they made my hair very unhappy.

hockeygirl256
August 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Washing all of my hair everyday, sometimes twice a day. I miss having perfectly clean hair all the time. It was so fluffy.

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Ease of chemical dye.

Loreley
August 16th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I tried every new product before LHC and I miss that the most. :p I use sulfates to clarify only about once a month so I don't have to buy SLS shampoo too often. I don't use cones at all and most of the conditioners, DTs and leave-ins are full of them. It's hard to find cone-free products here. :rolleyes:

poloandpearls
August 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I sometimes miss the terrible habit of back combing/teasing. I was constantly looking for ways to get more volume and that was the easiest way. But I would never go back to that again, my hair is much healthier now.

Ohhh nooo! I've never loved this because my hair doesn't seem to want to untangle easily after it's done, but I didn't realise it was so bad for my hair. I'll have to cut this one out right away!

ncgal25
August 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
I just joined - but I will miss chemical dying a lot!

Accepting my gray hairs is going to take time! I will miss the smoothness & shine that hair dye offers (well at least the first 2-3 weeks til it fades)

helwa
August 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I can't really decide what I miss more... straightening or dying my hair. For many years I used to straighten my hair almost every single day, and I've been dying it for as long as I can remember! I probably wouldn't miss the hair dye as much if I could magically get my natural hair color back though. :)

Rennire
August 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have dreams about my flat iron. Oh how I miss thee...

Dreams_in_Pink
August 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I voted for elastics but actually it's ponytails. I wore a simple ponytail as my everyday style before LHC. Now that i noticed the frizz around ponytail area i switched to hair sticks.

Jezerellica
August 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
For me it would be dazing out under the hot shower, I loved that feeling! Sadly, my hair wasn't a fan :p.

Yes! This is me too!! Loved those super hot showers. Now they are just a memory. Well, we are saving money and recources, right? :D

saippuakuplia
August 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Definitely the salon. I just love the feeling when someone else is doing something with my hair. You can just sit there and relax. My hairdresses was so nice and never did anything bad to my hair or something that I didn't want to be done. And I could go there even though I was growing the hair, she didn't cut it too much. But then I moved away and now I don't want to the salon to have my hair cut, they would just cut it too much. But I miss the feeling.

-j-
August 25th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I kind of miss the violet dye, but that I quit long before LHC.
Also miss heat styling.

christine1989
August 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I'm so glad to be rid of heatstyling! It was so time consuming and made my hair look like a pile of straw. I do however miss going to salons. I just love the experiance of going and getting my hair done perfectly for the day.

09robiha
August 25th, 2010, 03:04 AM
hmmm i certainly dont miss straightening or the dissapointment that I could never get my hair really straight and after a few hours it would start to curl at the end.

Ponytails...now theres something a miss!! And using any old hair stuff that was on offer, even though it did my hair no favours.

Idun
August 26th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I don´t miss anything. :)

IcarusBride
August 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I occasionally miss being able to use the curling iron to create perfect ringlets. I do pin curls now sometimes, but they don't look as flawless as ones created with heat.

Qwerty Uiop
August 26th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I miss sleeping with loose hair. There have been a few times when I just did it anyway even though I know how bad it is because it feels sooooooooo good.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 14th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I am going to miss colouring my hair and I'm giving up the idea of perming etc. As much as I would like to hair steriotype hair, the natural way is the only way to reach my hair length goals. Besides, my hair has always fought against me to stay natural. So I'm going to listen to it and take good care of my hair, inside and out, from now on :)

GrowingGlory
October 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM
You might like a WIDU Bamboo brush. It looks like one of those but is wooden and very gentle to your hair.

venusje
October 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I miss going to the store and just buy shampoo and co that had the most attractive color:p

Now it more like, hhmmmm, I should check that ingredient list.
AAAhhhh, daim, it got silicons in it, just put it back....
Next bottle, check again :p

AspenSong
October 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I won't lie...sometimes I miss dyeing my hair. The excitement of a new color. It was fun at times, as utterly destructive as it was to my poor hair. lol

Dragon
October 16th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I miss brushing my hair. It is so much quicker.

salls
October 16th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I miss being able to rip a brush through my hair, damaging but effective.

aenflex
October 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I miss my Chi :( Sometimes I take it out and stare lovingly at it. Though I don't use it. When I kept a short wedge bob, the Chi was my lifesaver, and since I trimmed once every 6 weeks, I would use it ad infinitum with no ill consequence. But when trying to grow, I have to put it away for good...
As for anything else, I really didn't make any major changes whatsoever. Still use cones, SLS and whatnot. The best things I've learned from my years of lurking and short time as a member are:
Sleep protection.
Stretching washes.
Oils - coconut specifically.
SMT - thanks snowymoon!

Those 4 items have made all the difference and I am eternally grateful!!

longhairtobe
October 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM
i put heat styling. I miss my flat iron so much sometimes. I use to do it when it was wet too! i love having pin straight hair and with out heat it get a little wavy and well i dont like it *sigh* but im not going back because now i know better

celebriangel
April 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
...I kinda don't.

Perhaps I should explain. Nomatter what I did, my hair would always look kinda blah. It calmed down a bit when I left high school, but since then I've only really liked the (fake) colour of it. I was too lazy to really style it properly, and whenever I tried it wouldn't work anyway, so I didn't really have any bad habits except not being gentle enough and using harsh shampoos, which I've since given up. That was easy enough.

I'm not going to give up the colouring, since I don't really feel the urge for change at all; I'm a redhead forever. I am going to switch to henna/directions semiperm to "brighten it up" which I feel shouldn't really do much damage at all. I just want to be red.

All in all, since joining LHC my hair looks much better. I always used to semiperm (without bleach) before anyway, the permanent peroxide one was just to lighten some semiperm that had turned out really dark. Going back to semiperm (and henna! Excited about that) won't be an issue.

Still haven't given up cones, though. My hair just...likes them. Oh well.

So...yeah. Conventional styling was clearly never for me. Thanks, LHC, for showing me a way!

Aaroo
April 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I think I'll miss chemical dying the most, and I guess I will not give that up. My hair is black, and makes me bored after some time, I know for sure! and as henna/indigo is an irreversible option, I will probably do dye my hair , but try to limit it as much as possible!

pepperminttea
April 27th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I voted Something Else. I miss not caring; just ripping my brush through, tying it back, and being generally indifferent.

I do actually like my hair now though, before I felt like it was something I could never get right, so I think it's worth it. :)

RitaPG
April 27th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I honestly don't miss anything pre LHC.
I never bothered to have crazy hairstyles, I only knew how to make an English braid, trimmed my own hair. Never used heating devices or blowdryers (we just don't have those at home)
I don't do a lot of stuff to it, or at least I don't think I do, and my hair never looked (or felt) better.
I still brush and go out the house sometimes, the difference is that now I also carry a comb in my purse, and I never have to worry.
I think taking care of my hair really isn't that much trouble, I just had to adjust a couple things, and it's worth it :)

wavykisses
April 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I voted Something Else. I miss not caring; just ripping my brush through, tying it back, and being generally indifferent.

I do actually like my hair now though, before I felt like it was something I could never get right, so I think it's worth it. :)

Same here I think I miss combing my hair with whatever brush I found and ripping through knots or just used any shampoo and scrub my hair in the shower all on top hahaha and get a hard towel dry after that.:D

metricfuture
April 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Oh, my hot rollers, how I miss them! I still do full wet sets with magnetic rollers from time to time, but they're just so fussy and time-consuming compared to their, erm, mammalian counterparts (to their credit, however, they last much longer).

Remyy
April 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I miss not worrying about my hair!I never realized how damaging brushes/metal elastics/etc were for hair and it never bothered me pre-LHC. I also miss not constantly paying attention to how fast my hair is growing. When I used to not care about my hair it felt like it grew a mile a minute, but now that I'm thinking about it more often its taking foreverr.

SallyCinnamon
April 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I voted chemical dying because I loved how it looked freshly dyed. I hated what it did to my hair over time (split ends, straw-like texture, breakage). I still blow dry and use 'cones so I didn't give up everything.

In2wishin
April 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I really don't miss anything. Since joining LHC I really haven't stopped doing something .... I have just added new things.

Sundial
April 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I voted for "Something Else" because for me it is a toss up between regular trimming and chemical dye.

Let me clarify what I mean by regular trimming - my idea of regular trimming pre-LHC days was more like half inch every month. But of course, that was the main reason why my hair barely grew because the hairdressers were cutting off almost a month's growth each time. In fact, there might have been a period of time when my hair was getting shorter instead as a result of that.

gthlvrmx
April 28th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Wearing my hair down everyday! 7 years of doing that and now i must get used to this :P

Melanie Marie
April 28th, 2011, 03:03 AM
The hardest thing for me to get over was vigorously rubbing my hair between my towel and hands to dry it after a washing. Letting it simply air dry is still something I struggle with, but I'm learning to speed the process up in a natural way. :D

leoninnu
April 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I miss the quick, shampoo-only showers. Showering seems to take ages nowadays :D

ashke50
April 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Wearing my hair down every day!
I am wearing it up now, and while updos can be fun, and I know a lot more than I did, I do still miss the look and feel of my hair loose. I know this is more protective though, so for now, it is worth it!

elbow chic
April 29th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I miss my salon visits, the way my hair would look GREAT afterward.

And haircuts, the way they feel so fresh and light and tidy when they are done. :D

But my curiosity about seeing my hair in its uncut "wild" state definitely trumps the fleeting enjoyment of a lightened load.

Still, I kind of wish there were a braider around here, some expert person who could do something amazing with my hair without cutting it or doing chemical damage.

IcarusBride
April 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I miss wearing my hair down and it not tangling into oblivion or getting caught in stuff. Since it passed BSL or so it's been increasingly inconvenient to wear down.
ll

Ithildae
April 30th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I miss being able to wear it down without worrying about the damage. And sometimes I miss the cones and how much less tangly my hair was with them.

erialc
April 30th, 2011, 06:40 AM
My flat iron :( Oh how easy it made life sometimes :P

lolot
April 15th, 2012, 02:16 AM
i miss a lot brushing my hair wet, dying and sometimes my flat iron and my curler, oh long time ago

Jesabel
April 15th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Though I haven't given up heat styling all together, I haven't straightened all my hair in nearly 5 months and I miss the feeling. I've been craving to do it lately but want to wait til my hair is longer :grin: I'm trying to limit myself to only twice this year, once when I get to waist and for my sisters wedding.

melusine963
April 15th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I miss my straighteners. They caused a lot of damage, so I would never really go back to them, but they were the only thing that made my frizzy, fluffy hair behave itself. I also miss the way that cones made my hair feel.

HintOfMint
April 15th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Oh the shine from heatstyling... Nothing else compares. No matter how nice to it I am, my hair will very rarely shine on its own.

GoldberryHair
April 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM
TEASING! I was the queen! lol I could make my hair a mile high, I loved it, I still get the urge to do it a little when I do certain up-dos, just because a litle volume looks nice...*alas* nevermore.. :(

luxepiggy
April 15th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I voted for heatstyling, even though I still use my hair dryer, because I really miss using it on hot / high in the winter.

Cool @ low speed is freeeezing!! http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/winter-piggy.gif

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
No matter how damaged and utterly broken my hair was, my wonderful flat iron always made it appear to be in fanatic health (only because flat surfaces appear shiny, plus all the shine serum applied before straighten and of course it always added length to my hair because it pulled it pin straight) Of course it was also killing my hair.

I also was addicted to the blow fryer for the past 4 years.

I miss my blonde hair as well but hated the process of coloring anyways because my scalp would rebel terribly and be so gross, I'm in love with henna but do think blonde fit me well too and if I could obtain it naturally I probably would lol

But heat stayling def takes first place in my most missed bad habits of hair care lol

Vanilla
April 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Blow drying my hair straight with a round BBB brush. It was still wavy around my ears regardless. Blow drying also gave me 1 additional day to stretch washes too.

DuckyDot
April 15th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Brushing and just leaving the house! It was so easy before! But my hair certainly looks better now. :)

skyblue
April 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Combing my hair right after a wash, I used to towel dry and comb, now I use a tee shirt to wrap it with till it stops dripping then I let let hang down and not touch it til it dries, I don't go else where for a trim any more I just do it myself now, and I have trained my scalp go 7-9 days between washing, oh and I use oils now too I never would have thought that oils would be so good for hair!

Renate
April 15th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I miss brushing.

maradeerfarmer
May 19th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I miss the nearly instant drying of a pixie cut... sometimes... very occasionally!

(I don't miss needing a trim every three weeks... my hair grows quickly!)

Iolanthe13
May 19th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I miss the salon - it was such a relaxing experience. Also, I miss having someone else do my colour for me; henna is gorgeous but not the easiest thing to apply!

faellen
May 19th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Chemical dyeing. I really enjoyed changing my hair colour and shopping for dyes, lol. I'm currently trying to grow out the dye so I can get my natural hair colour back, and it's so difficult to avoid going back to the dye!

I still heat style occasionally and still use silicones.

Amber_Maiden
May 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Flat ironing my hair- it looked great, made it look longer, and made it shiny!

Flame3345
May 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I miss nothing from before LHC :) i'm happy with how things are. ^^

nobeltonya
May 19th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Nothing. I'm actually happier and more content with my hair since changing my previous habits. My hair is also. :D :cheese:

Henrietta
May 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I see I voted for cones some time ago. Now I am back to them and my hair is very happy. So number one is now brushing. BBB doesn't give me the feeling of scalp massage :(

Scarlet_Heart
May 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Washing my hair with hot water. :cloud9:

QueenOfTheSkye
May 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Ponytails. Oh god, I miss ponytails so much. Not that I can't still do ponytails, but I miss being able to do a tight, high pony every single day without any guilt whatsoever.

white.chocolate
May 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Something else: Washing my hair everyday! I felt so clean afterwards.

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I don't miss anything actually. Not that I can think of...

CurlySasha
May 19th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I miss silicones. Just taking a palmful of coney condish and slathering it allll over my hair and deeming my hair healthy.
Also, ripping a little plastic-ball tipped ball through my curls, making them all fluffy.
Taking a sulfate-laden shampoo, and piling all of my length on my head and just sudsing up!
Ahhh, the days of blissful ignorance :D

Rosetta
May 19th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Hmm, to me silicones are not "pre-LHC", I've come to realize that my hair actually prefers them; I actually slightly resent the indication that people here wouldn't use them - I know there are many who do!

I think I miss most chemical dyeing, often, without any guilt :p (but then I didn't know much about the dangers; I did actually find out before joining here...)

Also one thing I miss is not having to care about product ingredients, and always check them! Of course that knowledge can come in handy at times, but oh, the blissful ignorance of not having to give a toss what's in a product... ;)

Diamond.Eyes
May 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Now that I've been attending cosmetology school, I've learned so many cute and stylish ways to heatstyle hair, and I can't use them on myself. :(

Carissamarie08
May 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Ripping through my hair with a brush

Kittykins
May 20th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Brushing my hair when it was wet.

SnowWhite
May 20th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I miss using the blowdryer since my hair has a very weird shape.

I'll try to explain:
At one side of my face, my waves go like this ( at the other side of my face also (
Before I blowdried the 'wrong' side and created that ( ) shape, now it looks like this ( ( as if I was outside in a storm and the wind came from the side :p

But I know that when my hair gets longer my waves will get better... So it's only temporary. But yeah, I miss my blowdryer sometimes.

shutterpillar
May 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I think I miss the blow dryer the most. It was nice to be able to blow dry and head out the door without sopping wet hair in the winter. Not looking forward to winter. :(

A close second to the blow dryer would be the hair spray. I didn't use it too often, but when I did it would really hold my curl well, so I miss it. Now I am experimenting with Aloe Gel for curling.

battles
May 20th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I miss being able to just really roughly towel dry my hair. My hair dries really slowly now.

Neneka
May 21st, 2012, 06:54 AM
I miss those times when I was not so obsessed about my hair breaking. Now I am afraid to touch my hair with a comb and if I hear my hair snapping I feel so bad about it! I feel like I should keep my hair up and heavily oiled all the time so I would not break a single hair.

KwaveT
May 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
The only thing I miss is the blow dryer. Air drying my hair takes about 3-3.5 hours. I am not going back to blow drying wet hair knowing what I am doing to it.

Viola88
May 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
I miss blow drying. The hot air on my scalp feels...felt :( so good.

terylenerose
May 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
Something else.
I don't know, really. I used to miss going to bed with my hair down. I never heat styled except for one time I tried to blowdry my hair straight. Blowdrying always took so much time that it wasn't worth it.
The only thing I really miss is swimming in chlorinated pools, but the real reason I stopped is that I like being healthy and they say chlorine is a carcinogen. I also kind of miss wet combing, because that was my little way of straightening without a straightener. It's a good thing I never actually got a straightener, because I would probably have turned into one of those people who flat ironed every day. Straight hair always seemed so much easier and logical to me. I know now that that reasoning doesn't hold much water.

Alva
May 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Voted for something else

What I miss most is that I back then didn't worry for a second about my hair, not about split ends, not about tangles and so on. Now I am much more aware of everything that has to do with hair and at times I wish I wasn't. My hair was healthy then too, and it got really long without even taking notice of it. So, the carelessness and desinterest for hair I miss most.

kidari
May 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
I miss not caring so much about my hair. I never stressed out about it growing and would change it up all the time- cut and color. I would also do all kinds of things to it freely, because I never worried about damage. Back then I would tease, hairspray, wash daily, bleach, dye, heat style everyday.... now I worry that water or the sunlight or wearing it down for an hour is going to jeopardize the health of my hair. Although, I have calmed down a bit about being that anal by now.

sun-kissed
May 21st, 2012, 02:21 PM
I miss the freedom of being able to jump into the pool with unconfined, not pre-treated BSL hair and having myself a nice swim, then laying out in the grass and feeling the sun evaporate all of the water out of my hair. Now days I have to worry about wetting it, conditioning, putting it up, and then washing it as soon as I get out of the pool. :rolleyes: It kinda takes the effect out of the whole ordeal.

Macaroni
May 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM
If it had been available, I would have chosen: Not a thing :)

My routine is simplified, my hair is healthier and longer so I've won!

PixxieStix
May 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
The only thing I really miss at all is brushing my hair with one of those plastic brushes with the nubs on the ends, feels soooooo good against the scalp. Other than that, I would have to say I don't miss a thing. My hair is much better off now. :)

Long_hair_bear
May 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I miss my bleached blonde streaks in my naturally dark brown hair. I still use cones, so that's out. I also miss my purple hair, but I had to bleach it to get it that way.

tamchronic
May 30th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I desperately miss backcombing and heat-curling my hair. I look best with a head full of voluminous curls framing my face, and I'm still struggling to figure out how to achieve perfect curls and volume at the roots without heat. :(

barely.there
May 30th, 2012, 04:47 AM
the only habit i had was heatstyling... and i dont miss it! ive come to love my natural wave :)

Eleentje
May 30th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Exactly what Kidari said: I miss not caring about my hair. Even though I know it's for the best and even though I can see how much good being careful with my hair does, I miss being so careless.

I'm also much more demanding now, I want my hair to be less frizzy, well-moisturized, neatly bunned or braided and and and... I used to care very little about those things before. A ponytail would do just fine and frizz was just part of having hair. Now, not so much :D

akilina
May 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
What I miss most is not caring at all.
It is like everything got complicated the second I found this site hahaha.

hyettf16
May 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Hot showers (although now I know that they are not good for the skin either so I will never go back to steamy showers) and wearing it down allll the time.