PDA

View Full Version : Something about the LHC-pose...

AngryVikingGirl
July 10th, 2013, 04:01 AM
I've come to the conclusion that it lifts your waist. Have you noticed? I spent quite a time figuring out where on earth my length went.

this was taken on 14th April
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3810&d=1366070440

And this one in June, right before a trim. I had no trims between the two pics.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5225&d=1373449900

Though it still looks like some incredible negative growth, however I was protecting the ends and I didn't have many split ends before the trim, so I doubt my hair broke off. What do you think? Weird, isn't it? :confused:

lapushka
July 10th, 2013, 04:39 AM
This is too odd.

KittyBird
July 10th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Maybe it's the camera angle that makes it look shorter? I've had that happen to my length shots before. Does your hair look and feel shorter when you look at it in the mirror?

Anje
July 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM
You're probably right -- I can definitely feel my ribcage lift when I put my hands on my hips, which would move the thin spot (well, maybe that's the less-thick spot on my body!) upward a little. It also raises your shoulders a bit, for all those "Am I at shoulder length yet?" people.

MaryO
July 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Whaaat? Weird! But it looks to be true...

AngryVikingGirl
July 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Maybe it's the camera angle that makes it look shorter? I've had that happen to my length shots before. Does your hair look and feel shorter when you look at it in the mirror?

Yes, the angle is my other suspect and also the bending of my back and head tilt. In some shots it's definitely them, but in this case I tried to stand straight. Also, the first pic was taken by my mom, she always happens to do it in a way that my hair looks incredibly long. Taking a pic of the back of my body myself is also tricky. Fortunately my hair feels longer, it'd creep me out if it felt shorter! I think the forementioned things are responsible, only I wouldn't think they mattered so much. However I thought I'd post because the LHC-pose is quite popular over here so others may come across the same puzzle. ;)

You're probably right -- I can definitely feel my ribcage lift when I put my hands on my hips, which would move the thin spot (well, maybe that's the less-thick spot on my body!) upward a little. It also raises your shoulders a bit, for all those "Am I at shoulder length yet?" people.

Yes, the shoulders too. But it doesn't cause problems there because you don't need to put your hands on your hips to indicate shoulders I think.

jacqueline101
July 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Maybe it's the lightening in the photo.

AngryVikingGirl
July 10th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I think the best way to be sure about hitting a milestone is way passing it...hehe

Maybe it's the lightening in the photo.

But how? I don't think that's all shadows on the first pic.

cathair
July 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Just tried it in the mirror, seems to lift my ribcage too. I also get the urge to breathe in. I have never understood what the hands on hips pose was supposed to achieve :/ seems to be harder to take consistent pictures like that. Also I measure my hair by eye by where it is in relation to my elbows, which that messes up, so have just been doing mine with hands by sides.

arelrios
July 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I believe it might be the angle and the pose. Both playing "against" or "in favor" of the length. When DH takes the pictures, my hair looks longer because he is taller and that is the angle he gets.
Now, when I am taking self length pictures, either I tilt my head or do something with my chest/shoulders... or I hunch... so it's not 100% accurate... at least in my case... I am not that proficient at taking pictures yet.

As for your "shrinkage" ... maybe is the angle you are getting (from the mirror and also the camera)? ... just a thought...

AngryVikingGirl
July 10th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah, probably all of those play a part. Yeah, maybe the mirror is angled itself too. So, funny. I was just disappointed that my hair wasn't so long, though it didn't feel waist lenght either. Now it's somewhere there.

dwell_in_safety
July 10th, 2013, 12:29 PM
It's true. Putting hands on hips also creates a dip down the back because the shoulder blades jut out, where if not putting hands on hips they create more curvature for hair to rest over before hitting various body milestones below shoulder. I noticed that and never ever ever put my hands on my hips for hair pictures if I'm also being sure to stand with good posture.

Panth
July 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM
It's an optical illusion, based on several things:
1) The hands-on-hips pose causes the spine to curve more, and thus the torso look shorter
2) The hands-on-hips pose also raises your elbows, which are another point the eye is drawn to and measures the hair against. Thus, in the first image you are "past elbow length" and in the second you are not, simply because your elbows were raised.
3) The picture quality on the second is poor and you are further from the camera - both of which make it harder to clearly see the hemline.
4) The shirt in the second image is less high-contrast with your hair, particularly the dark lines on it.

5) (I think this is a big one) You are wearing your shirt tucked into your trousers in the first image, and outside in the second image. This vastly changes how the eye sees your torso, as the untucked shirt gives the optical illusion of a very long waist, whilst the tucked shirt gives the illusion of a very short waist.

Jenny31557
July 10th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Do you measure your hair regularly? I would do that as well as taking photos just to be sure that I'm not losing length due to breakage.
Beautiful hair by the way! :)

AngryVikingGirl
July 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Panth,

Yeah, but I still have one waist, which is rather a point than a range on the torso. I was comparing the lenght to that point. On the other hand, I wasn't implying the LHC-pose was evil. Just took a note. Probably it doesn't cause anything at some other lengths. But it definitely tricked me this time.

Jenny,

Thanks! :) I don't measure, I'm trying to ignore my hair between trims, but I highly doubt it broke off. Everything except the pics implies they're fine. Also, earlier I grew longer with worse haircare, just it didn't look very good, so trimmed.

ravenreed
July 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I have given up trying to get accurate measurements. My hair is so wavy and depending on how I slept on it, how recently I washed it, the humidity, or how I have been wearing it, it all looks different lengths.

ETA: For me, the most accurate is when it is wet. Otherwise, as stated above it is too variable!