PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Tuck Problems

jennescence
July 10th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Every time I do the Gibson Tuck my hair falls through the "pocket". I know my hair is heavy so this may be why. I looked on youtube and google to see if there are any variations that can help me but to no avail:( Do any of you have a solution you think could help me?

LadyCelestina
July 10th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Try securing it with something.

Other than that,I think the gibson tuck works better on short to medium hair.I could never get my hair to stay put in the tuck,but on my mom with short hair it alway held very well.
(Sort of hoping someone can chime in with a way to make the tuck work even on longer hair :o

kme81
July 10th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Ball the tail you want to tuck up into a hairnet, then tuck your hairnet-ball-bun-hair-creation into the pocket, and pin so that you attach some of the hairnet to your scalp hair. That is the only way I can do a Gibson Tuck, and even then it's a little questionable!

torrilin
July 10th, 2013, 07:26 AM
While in theory a Gibson tuck is a cute hairstyle, in practice I find it is not well suited to fine and straight hair. Too slippery.

At the length where a Gibson tuck would work, I usually use a tucked French braid to get a similar look. I'll still get wispy Edwardian hair halo going on, but my hair will not escape. Another option a lot of posters seem to like is a French Twist or a Peacock Twist. My hair regards both styles as an invitation to escape, so I don't usually do them.

LaDollyVita33 on YouTube has 2 videos that might be helpful. Her "little black dress undo" is very cute, and contains a ton of useful tricks for getting fine, slippery or thick hair contained in an updo that will stay. As she shows it, the style can work for 1930s. Go for a center part, and it is more appropriate for Edwardian to 1920s. If the separate buns she uses don't work well for you, try a vortex style single bun, or sub in some other favorite bun. The "rainy day tuck and roll" is also pretty friendly for hair in the shoulder to BSL range, tho it can work for longer hair too. The way she does it, it's pretty much perfect for a 1940s look. But swap things around a little, and it can go more Gibson girl. The other reason I recommend her videos is a lot of her styling ideas are not particularly length dependent. If the idea worked for me at BSL, it's still working at my current inching towards tailbone length. I may swap out mini-cinnamon buns for a Celtic knot or something, but the basic idea has kept right on trucking.

browneyedsusan
July 10th, 2013, 03:01 PM
While in theory a Gibson tuck is a cute hairstyle, in practice I find it is not well suited to fine and straight hair. Too slippery.

At the length where a Gibson tuck would work, I usually use a tucked French braid to get a similar look. I'll still get wispy Edwardian hair halo going on, but my hair will not escape. Another option a lot of posters seem to like is a French Twist or a Peacock Twist. My hair regards both styles as an invitation to escape, so I don't usually do them.

LaDollyVita33 on YouTube has 2 videos that might be helpful. Her "little black dress undo" is very cute, and contains a ton of useful tricks for getting fine, slippery or thick hair contained in an updo that will stay. As she shows it, the style can work for 1930s. Go for a center part, and it is more appropriate for Edwardian to 1920s. If the separate buns she uses don't work well for you, try a vortex style single bun, or sub in some other favorite bun. The "rainy day tuck and roll" is also pretty friendly for hair in the shoulder to BSL range, tho it can work for longer hair too. The way she does it, it's pretty much perfect for a 1940s look. But swap things around a little, and it can go more Gibson girl. The other reason I recommend her videos is a lot of her styling ideas are not particularly length dependent. If the idea worked for me at BSL, it's still working at my current inching towards tailbone length. I may swap out mini-cinnamon buns for a Celtic knot or something, but the basic idea has kept right on trucking.

Thank you, Torrelin!
I'm having similar problems with my Gibson tucks--they poke through the pocket or pop out the top! *runs off to look at youtube videos*