PDA

View Full Version : Advice For My Frizzy Hair Please(PICS)

ChristmasFnatic
July 9th, 2013, 11:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/spongeduke/IMG_8260_zpsd32cf87a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spongeduke/media/IMG_8260_zpsd32cf87a.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/spongeduke/IMG_8261_zps2af03456.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spongeduke/media/IMG_8261_zps2af03456.jpg.html)

Here is my hair. Past few years, it is just frizzy, wavy and "out of control". Aside from having it rebonded, it will look like that.

As of what I use/do...

Shampoo(Sunsilk Strong and Long) - everyday
TRESemme conditioner - everyday(anti frizz, it helps for a few hours but eventually it will still go back)
TRESemme mask - once a week

I fingerbrush for the past 3 months now as well. Avoiding any sort of brushes.

Any advice on what to use, what to do? MANY MANY THANKS!

Quixii
July 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM
What happens if you don't touch your hair at all after getting out of he shower? (No finger combing/brushing or touching at all.)

ChristmasFnatic
July 9th, 2013, 11:36 PM
What happens if you don't touch your hair at all after getting out of he shower? (No finger combing/brushing or touching at all.)

Similar to the pics, a bit worse. Ill re-check later.

Suze2012
July 10th, 2013, 12:34 AM
That's almost identical to how mine used to be a year ago.

Co washing, no sulphates, no silicones, no combs, no heat, wearing hair up to sleep, t-shirt or microfibre towel instead of a normal towel, overnight coconut oil treatments and a gentle curl creme scrunched in - all stopped my frizz. and gave me botticelli type curls.

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 02:28 AM
That's almost identical to how mine used to be a year ago.

Co washing, no sulphates, no silicones, no combs, no heat, wearing hair up to sleep, t-shirt or microfibre towel instead of a normal towel, overnight coconut oil treatments and a gentle curl creme scrunched in - all stopped my frizz. and gave me botticelli type curls.

Thanks. But Im not really familiar with all these... forgive my ignorance.

So what is co-washing?

And use shirt to dry hair always? No towel? What do you mean wearing hair up?

And how oten do you use coconut oil in a week?

I dont want it curled though, just dont want it to frizz like that.

DarkCurls
July 10th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Hi,

-- CO-washing is "conditioner only" washing, meaning you don't use shampoo, just conditioner. It's supposed to be more moisturising. Frizz is sometimes due to dryness, so this may help.
-- Terry cloth towels are known to encourage frizz, so this is probably why a t-shirt was recommended.
-- I use coconut oil pre-wash, so that's twice a week; there's no real set frequency. But coconut oil doesn't work for everyone, even though it's my favorite oil.
-- Putting hair up when you sleep -- If you move around a lot when you sleep, your hair might frizz (and tangle). A braid usually helps with the tangle problems.

Suze2012 isn't saying these are methods to curl your hair, just that your hair type might be curlier than you think if you get this much frizz. It looks like my hair when I thought it was still straight. I have pics somewhere... Right, before and after I realised I was a curly. The first picture is quite old, which is why my hair is shorter, but I was already starting to curl back then, as demonstrated by the poofiness (I used to have sleek, straight hair as a child). Second picture is recent, post-LHC.
http://i44.tinypic.com/10csnj4.jpg
Pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4274&d=1368121816)

Maybe other LHC-ers will have something else to say, but my first thought was, this is a curly who doesn't know it. I think you probably have lovely waves... Just not touching it at all after a wash should bring out the waves, no, so it's strange that you still have frizz even then. It's still worth a try. If the curl is actually not the problem, I'm sure you'll find something on this site which will help. It's a goldmine of information. Good luck.

Is your hair previously damaged? Does it feel dry?

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Hi,

-- CO-washing is "conditioner only" washing, meaning you don't use shampoo, just conditioner. It's supposed to be more moisturising. Frizz is sometimes due to dryness, so this may help.
-- Terry cloth towels are known to encourage frizz, so this is probably why a t-shirt was recommended.
-- I use coconut oil pre-wash, so that's twice a week; there's no real set frequency. But coconut oil doesn't work for everyone, even though it's my favorite oil.
-- Putting hair up when you sleep -- If you move around a lot when you sleep, your hair might frizz (and tangle). A braid usually helps with the tangle problems.

Suze2012 isn't saying these are methods to curl your hair, just that your hair type might be curlier than you think if you get this much frizz. It looks like my hair when I thought it was still straight. I have pics somewhere... Right, before and after I realised I was a curly. The first picture is quite old, which is why my hair is shorter, but I was already starting to curl back then, as demonstrated by the poofiness (I used to have sleek, straight hair as a child). Second picture is recent, post-LHC.
http://i44.tinypic.com/10csnj4.jpg
Pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4274&d=1368121816)

Maybe other LHC-ers will have something else to say, but my first thought was, this is a curly who doesn't know it. I think you probably have lovely waves... Just not touching it at all after a wash should bring out the waves, no, so it's strange that you still have frizz even then. It's still worth a try. If the curl is actually not the problem, I'm sure you'll find something on this site which will help. It's a goldmine of information. Good luck.

Is your hair previously damaged? Does it feel dry?

Wow thanks! For typing all that, and explaining it to a noob like me.

Anyway, how many times a week do most people here(esp with dry hair) use shampoo?
If coconut oil aint for everyone. How will I know if its good for me? If its oily for a long time? No frizz?

Anyway, I dont think its damaged. Its just the way it is. Though had my hair colored in 2000(just the front)(Pic below)... rebonded back in 2009 and 2011. Thats about it. Put some hair products 15 years ago... hair spray, gel, etc.

Here is a pic of me and my sis(left is on year 2000), the 2 new ones were taken last May. Its within an hour after showering. But soon after, frizz comes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/spongeduke/MaxandI_zps50545a04.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spongeduke/media/MaxandI_zps50545a04.jpg.html)

Also, my avatar is me and Steven Tyler, is when I tie my hair for hours then untie it. It doesnt go frizz mode right away.

And if its any help, my hair is always thin since I was a kid.

MANY THANKS ALL AGAIN!

Kiwiwi
July 10th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I agree.
I believe you are a curly. It looks just like my hair did when I didn't know how to get my curls to come out.

I suggest googling about The Curly Girl Method. Just educate yourself a bit by reading all about it and then trying stuff out and see what works for you. You can also get the book The Curly Girl Handbook. It "changed my life". I love my hair now that I know how to make my curls come out and have them look amazing :)

Good luck!

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Wait, Im not a girl though. Will that work? No difference in textures, etc? Or will I become more feminine?!

DarkCurls
July 10th, 2013, 08:58 AM
It's for your hair. I don't see how hair can be feminine or masculine.

It can't hurt to try; if you don't like it you could always go back. It's not anything permanent.

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hehehe. THANKS!

Ill check it out!

spidermom
July 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I agree. I think the frizziness comes from fighting your natural texture, which I suspect is wavy if not curly.

I give my hair deep treatments about once per month to maintain the moisture, currently using Regis Designline Hydrating Balm - good stuff!

teela1978
July 10th, 2013, 09:23 AM
What do you mean when you say you got your hair "rebonded"? Is it a straightening treatment? Because those are generally quite damaging.

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I agree. I think the frizziness comes from fighting your natural texture, which I suspect is wavy if not curly.

I give my hair deep treatments about once per month to maintain the moisture, currently using Regis Designline Hydrating Balm - good stuff!

Ill check it out. If it becomes curly, I hope its a good type. Though I think its wavy than curly.

What do you mean when you say you got your hair "rebonded"? Is it a straightening treatment? Because those are generally quite damaging.

Yeah. Those. 4 hours to get it straight.

cranberrymoonz
July 10th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Anyway, how many times a week do most people here(esp with dry hair) use shampoo?
If coconut oil aint for everyone. How will I know if its good for me? If its oily for a long time? No frizz?

How many times a week you need to wash your hair is different for everybody, but given that shampoo dries out your hair, it is definitely not recommended that you wash it every single day. Only wash your hair when you really need to: when it's greasy or dirty. For some people that means washing every other day, but others might be able to get away with washing just once in two weeks.

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 11:01 AM
How many times a week you need to wash your hair is different for everybody, but given that shampoo dries out your hair, it is definitely not recommended that you wash it every single day. Only wash your hair when you really need to: when it's greasy or dirty. For some people that means washing every other day, but others might be able to get away with washing just once in two weeks.

Eh... everyday. I go to the gym/jog TTHSS, then Jiu Jitsu MWF. So as you see, it becomes very sweaty. So just skip the shampoo?

Beborani
July 10th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Simplest thing would be to add leave in conditioner(or gel our mousse) and let it air dry after your normal washing routine. Always start simple than change several things at once.

jacqueline101
July 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Have you tried argan oil? It helped my frizzy perm.

nobeltonya
July 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM
[in the summer] Aussie Miraculously Smooth conditioner works well for my frizzies [Herbal Essences Hello Hydration in the winter], as does a leave-in conditoner [Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth cream]. Also, wet bunning or braiding wet for several hours. :) I also wash every day.. :disco:

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Simplest thing would be to add leave in conditioner(or gel our mousse) and let it air dry after your normal washing routine. Always start simple than change several things at once.

What is the least damaging? Doesnt mousse damage hair?

Have you tried argan oil? It helped my frizzy perm.

Uh, never did. Is it another cooking oil or what?

ChristmasFnatic
July 10th, 2013, 12:00 PM
[in the summer] Aussie Miraculously Smooth conditioner works well for my frizzies [Herbal Essences Hello Hydration in the winter], as does a leave-in conditoner [Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth cream]. Also, wet bunning or braiding wet for several hours. :) I also wash every day.. :disco:

Wash with shampoo and all?

ANd Ill check into those items if its available here.

AngryVikingGirl
July 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM
It looks like my hair when I thought it was still straight. I have pics somewhere... Right, before and after I realised I was a curly.

It's so crazy that curly hair can seem to be straight! And it happens.

Jenny31557
July 10th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I agree that you should try co-washing. I think it will give your hair more moisture and definition.
Can't hurt to try, right?

@DarkCurls :thud: Your hair is so so so pretty! Amazing! Beautiful!

nobeltonya
July 10th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Wash with shampoo and all?

ANd Ill check into those items if its available here.

Yes. Regular sulfate shampoo. :) I'm currently using Dabur Vatika Egg Rejuvenating Shampoo, but it's almost finished.. and now that it's summer, I'm going to try Nyle Nourishing shampoo or maybe Sunsilk. I get my shampoo at an Indian grocery in Richmond.. but for conditioner, Wal-Mart has a bigger pump size for $5-6 [lasts me a month, and I'm very liberal with it], and leave-in, $3 [also lasts about a month].

Leeloo
July 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Have you tried hot coconut oil treatment?

DarkCurls
July 10th, 2013, 03:33 PM
@DarkCurls :thud: Your hair is so so so pretty! Amazing! Beautiful!

Thank you! :)

OP, I hadn't realised you'd had your hair rebonded. That's a permanent straightening process, isn't it? Then it's probably unlikely you'll be able to bring out much curl. But the moisture, co-washing & coconut oil recommendations are still definitely worth trying out. Your hair might be damaged from the rebonding (chemical processing), which would explain the frizz actually. Maybe protein? I don't know much about rebonding.

spirals
July 10th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I only was twice a week now, but used to wash every day or every other day. Either way, I get frizz. It's just a condition of having wurly/curly hair. The cure for me is some kind of product or substance with a bit of hold. I used to use gel, scrunched into wet hair before toweling. It worked. The only reason I stopped was that it's essentially plastic. I wanted to go natural. So now I put some kind of natural mucilage or extract that contains natural silica in my rinse. It does the same. I've been known to use flax seed gel. But if conventional products are ok with you, there are a ton of gels out there with moisturizing ingredients.

Silverbrumby
July 10th, 2013, 06:41 PM
my hair loves to frizz. I use leave in conditioner then argan oil. Just before it dries I use a blow dryer on low.

teela1978
July 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Honestly, I think it's mostly damage from the straightening treatment. Hair dye damage made my hair show a lot more curl than it naturally has. Treat it nice, grow it out. It'll get better :)

ExpectoPatronum
July 10th, 2013, 10:48 PM
If my hair is frizzy and I have to go somewhere and I want to take the frizz down fast, I put a little coconut oil or conditioner in my hair, then put it in one or two braids and let that sit while I finish getting ready. Sometimes, I'll keep the braids in as oiling your hair makes for pretty braids. Most of the time, though, when I take my hair out of the braids, the frizz has gone down considerably. Plus, your hair should feel shiny and soft.

ChristmasFnatic
July 11th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Thanks all!

And rebond lasts half a year. Its not permanent.

Also guys, is coconut oil same as virgin coconut oil when applying on hair? Cuz all I found was virgin coconut oil.

So even with shampoo and add conditioner daily, it will still dry your hair?

AGAIN, MANY THANKS!

rut.de.leu
July 11th, 2013, 03:24 AM
And rebond lasts half a year. Its not permanent.

The rebond's straightening effect may only last for half a year, but the damage done to the hair's structure is permanent (until it has been cut off as it is grown out).

Also guys, is coconut oil same as virgin coconut oil when applying on hair? Cuz all I found was virgin coconut oil.

They are the same thing, but virgin coconut oil is less processed, so it has more natural good stuff for your hair. It's actually good that you could find it!

ChristmasFnatic
July 11th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Yeah, well Im from the Philippines. Lots of coconuts. LOL!

Anyway thanks!