PDA

View Full Version : Temporary hair color?

Thenolegirl
July 9th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone =)

I've never colored my hair before, and I'm interested in going from a medium brown to maybe a coppery-red like this: (hope it's ok to share this picture - it is not mine!) http://hairstyles-galaxy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Elegant-Hair-Color.jpg

My hair is right at the bottom of hip length and in fairly good condition. I'm looking for a temporary dye that won't stick around after the summer months, but not dry out my hair. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Anje
July 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a job for Manic Panic, or something similar. Wildfire might be a good color to consider, or you could look even a notch oranger.

ETA: I'm assuming this will go over your natural hair. No bleach.

Emanuelle
July 10th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I heard from someone who had experience that a temporary color she used was drying. But since I'm also interested to temporarily have a different color (I would never use permanent dye, so no henna either), I'm going to subscribe to this thread.

Cecilia
July 10th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Aveda's Color Enriching Conditioner line will stain your hair temporarily...like for weeks and months... I have used Black Malva (gave me blue/black hair) Clove, (rick warm brown) and recently, Madder Root (says it's for brunettes and redheads, but unfortunately, this gave me vibrant burgundy locks, which is not what I was hoping for--I was able to rinse a lot of it out and applied the Clove over it, and let it sit all day! That turned it back to a darker warm brown with a few vibrant coppery highlights.)

That being said, I wonder if combining the Clove and Madder Root would give a coppery color? I may have to experiment.

It's fun to use, and "natural." You can find it at www.aveda.com

I would say you would need quite a bit for your length/thickness of hair, though!

Mine is mid back length. I only use it once or twice a week in the shower, after I do a first initial long soak in it during the day to give the stain a good set-in start.

woodswanderer
July 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I'm interested in this. Does the Aveda Root Madder stain your pillowcase or clothing? Is it really not damaging?

Firefox7275
July 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Agree Manic Panic left on overnight to give the best chance of penetrating on virgin hair.

Cecilia
July 11th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Woodswanderer, the Madder Root won't stain your pillowcase or clothing, and no, it is not damaging in the slightest!!! It is "supposed" to be "conditioner"--but I use it as hair dye. After applying it, letting it sit, and rinsing, I usually run my usual heavy conditioner through my hair afterwards.

I assume you mean by not staining things, after you have applied it and let it sit for however long you want, and then rinsed it--right? After rinsing and a gentle towel drying, I have never had a any staining whatsoever. And I usually go right to bed right after my evening shower! It stains and penetrates the hair (and stays there) awesomely!

woodswanderer
July 11th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I will have to get some Madder Root then. Great to know it doesn't stain other things say if your hair gets sweaty or something. I might cut it with a normal conditioner so it won't be an extreme change right away.

Cecilia
July 18th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Has anyone else tried this yet? Just curious to know how it worked for you! On my naturally dark brown hair, it really gives a burgundy glow--I mean, really. I used it last week again (after changing my mind about throwing it out) with a slight variation of my usual routine: I washed my hair, conditioned with my heavy conditioner FIRST instead of using the Aveda color product first, rinsed out the heavy conditioner, and then applied the Madder Root....let it soak about 5-10 minutes while I shaved/etc...rinsed...and it gave a much more subtle glow than when I first used it on dry hair and let it sit all day!!!

However, the color in these products really do build up with each use, so I'm afraid it will turn too vibrant on me! I'm going to wash/condition/color tonight, but I am going to mix the Aveda Clove with the Madder Root this time.

We shall see! I can't post pics, my camera is broken....but I would love to see how it turns out for others.