PDA

View Full Version : Hairstick in APL-hair, is it possible?

Lockoptimisten
July 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I've just got my hair in to APL-length and want to learn a nice up-do to protect my ends. Does anybody have ideas on what i might be able to do with a hairstick? I have some layers as well but i can get my hair together in a ponytail so i hope it will work. Love to se inspirationpics if you don't mind...

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I have BSL hair with a four inch ponytail circumference. I can do a pencil bun (tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) and a regular cinnabun with a hairstick. I think the pencil bun worked for me before the cinnabun did, so you should give that a try.

Nellon
July 9th, 2013, 04:03 PM
You can do lots of great things with hairsticks IMO. I have shoulder length hair (almost collarbone) and I can use hairsticks fine! :)

I like to do a cinnabun, or braid my hair and then put it up with hair sticks! Works like a charm.

Skade
July 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Hello Lockoptimisten :D Trevligt att se dig här också. It is definitively easier to do updos with hair sticks when it grows a little longer. However I have a coworker that always compliments my hair sticks and recently I have been taking one extra to work to put up her hair as well. I think that her hair also is around APL. I will check when I see her again. Her hair is that length when it is quite challenging to put it up with a hair stick. But I have managed to do a small cinnamon bun quite high up, and a french twist with a hair stick. So those two are the ones I can imagine working for shorter hair. Have you tried any of them?

cooklaezo13
July 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I have thick APL hair, and a french twist works well for me. I need to hairsticks for it to hold.

biogirl87
July 9th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Lockoptimisten, I don't know how thick your hair, but if it's like mine (2b, F/M-M, ii/iii), it's probably not long enough for you to be able to use hair sticks to hold your buns together. My hair is past APL and is nearing BSL and I still can't get a hair stick to stay in my hair. As soon as I try to secure a bun with a hair stick and shake my head a little to see how secure the bun, it just comes loose and after a while the hair stick begins to slide out. But then again, maybe my hair is just picky with anything except claw clips and bobby pins as I couldn't even get spin pins to stay in my buns and buns to stay together with spin pins holding them unless I had a lot of hairspray in my hair.

Anje
July 9th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Totally depends on your thickness. I would have had no problem doing a small bun with a stick at APL, but some of the thicker-haired sorts can't even get their hair to twist into a bun til they're at about waist length.

This is longer, thicker hair, but it's probably the first stick-only bun a person'll be able to do. (http://s813.photobucket.com/user/rachelba99/media/MVI_3694.mp4.html)(Not my video, but very helpful since Eadwine apparently took down her original.)

excentricat
July 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM
At APL, it is really going to depend on the thickness and slipperyness of your hair as to how well hairsticks work for you. The first one I could do, I don't really have a name for. Basically, I gathered my hair into a pony-tail type, hold the top of the hairstick with my right hand and place it vertically against my head on the left side of my pony tail. With my left hand, pull the tail across the stick. Then rotate the stick 180 so that the point is now facing up. Insert that against my scalp hair and down. Done. BTW, if anyone knows the LHC name for this, do let me know. French twists are also a good choice, and buns with a secured ponytail base may help too. Hope that helps.

ladylowtide
July 9th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Maybe? I have heavily layered hair and it took till waist before I could do a simple bun with a stick. I much better luck with flipped buns and twists with hair forks when I hit BSL.

BrightEyes
July 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I agree with that it depends on your thickness and layers. But when my hair was a couple inches past shoulder length I could do a French twist-type thing with a hair stick (in my profile picture I had just past shoulder-length hair). My hair had some layering too, as I was growing out an a-line bob. I do have fine and thin hair.

Lockoptimisten
July 10th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Oooooh thank you all for responding! I have kind of thin wavy hair, will measure when i get a chance.
Skade, vad kul att fler lockig-fans hänger här :)

Lockoptimisten
July 10th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I have to share a very informativ you tube video for people in shorter hair that wishes for hairstickbeuty:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE
Let me know if it didn't work

lulana
July 10th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I guess a split Bun would be possible especially if you secure the loop you do first with a hair tie, here is a good tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-K9CidKTfA
I did this updo to a friend of mine and her hair hitted the shoulder only a month ago ;)