PDA

View Full Version : List of Deep Treatments

jennescence
July 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I already did the SMT but I was wanting to make a list of all the moisturizing deep masks to try out so I can buy supplies
So if you know of any please post below:)

sarahthegemini
July 9th, 2013, 02:51 PM
1) Hot oil (I would reccomend EVOO - it's my fav oil!) - warm up your chosen oil, apply to dry/damp hair, cover with a shower cap. Leave for atleast an hour. Use this as a pre-wash treatment.
2) Honey and yoghurt (although, if you the frizz you mentioned in your other thread is definitely from the honey, just use yoghurt) - apply to dry/damp hair, cover with a shower cap, leave for an hour. Use this as a pre-wash treatment. You could try using this mixture as a substitute for your normal conditioner (I haven't tried this method though)
3) Egg - once a month, I mix an egg yolk with a few oils. Applypto dry hair, cover with shower cap and leave for an hour. Then s+c as usual.
4) Coconut milk rinse - apply this after s+c, massage it a little then rinse (I *think* you can leave it in/not rinse it out but I would try rinsing it first and assessing the results)
5) Conditioner + oil pre-wash - apply to damp hair, cover with a shower cap and leave for an hour, then rinse it out. You can s+c afterwards.

That's all I can think of for now, best of luck :)

meteor
July 9th, 2013, 02:53 PM
For homemade recipes, check out Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586
Some beneficial natural ingredients are oils/butters, avg, honey, egg yolk, mayo, yogurt, coconut milk for shine and moisture, catnip for strength and anti-split-end action, cassia for thickening hair strands, clay for cleansing (I find it drying), onion/garlic/nettle/rosemary/... for growth, etc...
If you are interested in commercial products, the list is almost endless.
I would not recommend stocking up on everything to avoid having a big stash of products that don't work well. It's very individual and many items will lose potency over time. Start by looking for solutions for specific hair problems you've identified. One person's holy grail is another person's poison. :)

ladylowtide
July 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I mixed fish oil (from fish oil capsules), peanut butter, and olive oil! It was awesome. I only applied to my dry ends though.

jasper
July 9th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Ah, for a hair adventure, try the caramel treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=454&highlight=Caramel+treatment).

~Jae~
July 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Avocado and olive oil, I found it really strengthening.

jennescence
July 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys! These all sound so amazing!

BambooBeauty
July 9th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I mixed fish oil (from fish oil capsules), peanut butter, and olive oil! It was awesome. I only applied to my dry ends though.

Peanut butter? What did that do?

jacqueline101
July 9th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I use Aussie 3 minute miracle deep conditioner. I don't oil currently but my hair seems happy with the Aussie.

Firefox7275
July 10th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't bother with most DIY treatments, they don't contain ingredients or actives that can penetrate or even adhere in many cases. Egg proteins for example are too large to be of use, gelatin is naturally hydrolysed tho so is worthwhile. The oils that are worth using are rich in lauric or oleic acid (palm kernel, coconut, babassu, olive, sweet almond, avocado), polyunsaturates are too large/ awkwardly shaped to penetrate.

Honey and aloe vera juice are both humectants and mildly acidic so can help hydrate and the cuticle lay flat, but will not penetrate. Yoghurt is also mildly acidic but it's lactic acid which is keratolytic (breaks down the protein keratin keratin) so I wouldn't risk even such a mild source on keratin rich hair. Cannot see the logic in whole foods like avocados, bananas or peanut butter, the actives are locked up in the cell walls unless you blend well, at which point the nutrients start oxidising rapidly (why banana and avocado turn black).