PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about heat & oil

sarahthegemini
July 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Sorry for making another thread so soon! I wasn't sure whether to add this query to my first thread but here goes :confused:

I am going on holiday to Marseille in a few weeks and I want to keep my hair safe from the heat and sea water. I've researched a bit, and oiling heavily seems to be the most reccomended tip, I understand this will protect hair from the absorbtion of salt water but won't the oil encourage 'cooking' of the hair in the scorching heat? Sorry if this is a stupid question :silly:

meteor
July 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I think it's beneficial, but I'd like to hear what others say about it.
I've done that a lot to no ill effect. I believe it really benefits the hair. I specifically like going out in the sun during heavy oiling. I think it helps the oil penetrate hair better. Most oil treatments ask for the oil to be warmed up anyway.
Just make sure you wear your oiled hair up or it feels kind of unpleasant rubbing against sweaty skin in the sun.

sarahthegemini
July 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I think it's beneficial, but I'd like to hear what others say about it.
I've done that a lot to no ill effect. I believe it really benefits the hair. I specifically like going out in the sun during heavy oiling. I think it helps the oil penetrate hair better. Most oil treatments ask for the oil to be warmed up anyway.

I'd completely overlooked that, d'oh! What oil would you suggest is best for this purpose?

Vrindi
July 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Coconut oil. It's a natural UV protectant, and the easiest for your hair to absorb. It's saved my hair from the southwest desert heat and sun, and swims in the ocean (when I can get to the nearest ocean.)

Also, hats and scarves for dry days. :) Have fun!

meteor
July 9th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I second coconut oil. It's really healthy for hair and scalp. It's not so great in winter months (when it solidifies and makes my hair crunchy), so I like to get the most out of coconut oil in summer months. In Indian ayurvedic practices, coconut oil is often recommended as the cooling "summer oil" for pitta season.
Also, I'm OK going out with my hair smelling like coconut. I've used many other healthy oils, e.g. EVOO and even mustard oil, but I just don't like smelling like that outside (the heat makes the smell even stronger, obviously).

LAG93
July 9th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Another tip after getting out of the ocean water, I rinse with freshwater, either from a bottle or where ever I can get it at the time. The less time the salt is on your hair the better! And instead of oil, I just use my favorite condish before I get in and after I get out and rinse with fresh water and reapply the condish. Although for a natural sunscreen coconut oil is great!

meteor
July 9th, 2013, 01:26 PM
LAG93's advice on freshwater and conditioner is great!
Also, if you use mineral oil (baby oil), ceramides-rich oils (e.g. grapeseed, safflower), and silicones, they can create a bit of a protective layer. I think mineral oil and some cones are washed away with water easily, but they can still give you some protection.

sarahthegemini
July 9th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks ladies! Appreciate the advice :flowers:

Firefox7275
July 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Nowhere near a high enough heat to cook hair: hair can tolerate directly applied heat way hotter than the sun is.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/05/straightening-factshow-hot-is-too-hot.html
Coconut oil is the only oil proven to protect from protein loss due to UV damage but it won't protect the fatty protective f-layer, so wear a hair or UV bandana like a Buff as much as possible. Coconut oil as a sunscreen is about SPF 2 and you'd need to use loads to get that level of protection, don't rely on that.

jessokitty
July 10th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I read somewhere that using oil based products and then using heat from a blowdryer or styling iron can potentially boil your hair. I have no clue whether this is correct so forgive me if it's entirely false. But I would imagine that the sun's heat wouldn't have that effect since it's not being directed at your hair. But you could always do what was suggested already and wear a hat or scarf.

furnival
July 11th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I read somewhere that using oil based products and then using heat from a blowdryer or styling iron can potentially boil your hair.
As water boils at a much lower temperature than most oils, it's more likely that you will cause damage by blow-drying or heat-styling wet hair than oiled hair.