PDA

View Full Version : Fish tail braid

sahiba
August 31st, 2008, 01:06 AM
I can do this braid very well on others. The problem is that whenever I try doing it on myself i start very fine, but when I have to turn it over my shoulder I mess it up in continuation and then again start doing it fine till the end.I hope I was clear :blushing: Any tip or advice ?

Denebi
August 31st, 2008, 01:33 AM
Have you tried to use a mirror? Maybe that helps....

Good luck!

sahiba
August 31st, 2008, 01:43 AM
Nah! No help at all. have tried the mirror too.

Shanarana
August 31st, 2008, 04:18 AM
Gosh I have a hard enough time doing a simple braid without it coming out crooked.

NurseMama
August 31st, 2008, 04:30 AM
Try braiding it straight up over your head instead of bringing it around over your shoulder. That is the best way that I have found to make a straight braid.

FrannyG
August 31st, 2008, 07:13 AM
Never use a mirror when braiding. Believe me. I agree with NurseMama; do it over your head.

Be prepared for very tired arms though.

Good luck, Sahiba! I know you can do it! :blossom:

sahiba
September 1st, 2008, 04:29 AM
Never use a mirror when braiding. Believe me. I agree with NurseMama; do it over your head.

Be prepared for very tired arms though.

Good luck, Sahiba! I know you can do it! :blossom:

Thank you , my arms are really going to need it.:pray:

catekat
September 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM
I love fishtails... But I have the same problem when I do them to myself!

spidermom
September 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Or you could sit down and bend forward to finish with your hair falling toward the floor. That way you don't have to hold your arms up for so long. Of course, arm strength is important, so you might want to do the braid with arms above your head for the exercise.

Magdalene
September 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
I've never been able to do that braid on myself- good luck!

dor3girl
September 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Wow! I am impressed that you try this on yourself--too time consuming for me. . .Maybe if I start pumping iron?

granitbaby
September 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM
I have an other problem with fish tail braids. When I do a french fish tail braid it always gets very loose at the beginning. I try to braid harder but it doesn't seem seem to work.
Any tips and tricks?

Sorry for hijacking!

NurseMama
September 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM
I have an other problem with fish tail braids. When I do a french fish tail braid it always gets very loose at the beginning. I try to braid harder but it doesn't seem seem to work.
Any tips and tricks?

Sorry for hijacking!

Are you braiding dry or damp? It makes a huge difference in my braid tightness if my hair is slightly damp. Less slip and it is easier to keep a good grip on the hair.

granitbaby
September 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Are you braiding dry or damp? It makes a huge difference in my braid tightness if my hair is slightly damp. Less slip and it is easier to keep a good grip on the hair.

Good point NurseMama. I think I only have tried it in dry hair.

Jen
September 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM
I do braids in general and especially fishtails to the side to that it comes over my shoulder instead of hanging down my back.

I do this for two reasons...one being the ability to have it straight with no transition and the other being that side braids seem to "pull" less and be more comfortable for me. Maybe my shoulder takes some of the weight?

Anywho that's what works for me.

insideitall
September 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
When I first started having to pull my hair over my shoulder I noticed that going from behind to front means that if you don't move your hands, you braid upside down instead of rightside up in order for it to look normal when you push it back behind your shoulder. What I had to do was really concentrate on which strand I had just moved and in which direction it went!

Oh yes and mirrors are horrible.. I have enough trouble with my left and right to begin with :-P

Juli414
September 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
This is one that I've seen that I'd like to try, but the videos I've seen have been too far away for real use as instruction. Do we have a tutorial on this style? Heck, even on other styles?