PDA

View Full Version : Your best tried and true ways for getting ALL henna off scalp!

mamaherrera
July 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Please I need some help. Every two weeks, I henna just my roots. To get it off, right now, I currently lay in the tub for like five minutes and let things get nice and wet. Then . . . I gently put my hands in there and try to help move things around, and then I use the shower sprayer over my head, since it has a hose, I bring it nice and close to my scalp. However, this last time, I woke up the next day, went to scratch my head or something and found a little patch of henna still stuck to my head. I don't like that, because if I would have gone in there with a vengeance I would have pulled that piece of dried henna off as though it were a scab, and it would've brought some hairs with it. Plus to think I slept all night with that dried stuff stuck to my roots, I hope I didn't lose any hair while sleeping as well. What do you all do that never fails to assure you get all the henna off the scalp. I wouldn't mind so much finding it occasionally in the hair, but not stuck to my scalp. EW!
Thanks

lapushka
July 9th, 2013, 09:48 AM
A bucket. Fill it with water and dip your head (while massaging) until most of it is gone, then put loads, and I do mean loads of conditioner in it and wash out, and out again. Shampoo if you must, but it's not a necessity.

Eireann
July 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I can't say it never fails, but it's the best method I've come up with so far. First, I put coconut oil in the henna mix before I apply it, which seems to make it easier to rinse out. Then, when it's not too cold outside, my first step is to rinse it with a hose in the back yard. That way I can get the worst of it without completely trashing my bathroom. Then I soak in the tub until most of it is out. Finally, I wash with conditioner in the shower.
Good luck!

Anje
July 9th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Oil definitely helps it rinse out, and it makes henna less drying to boot!

Similarly to these ladies, I had great results the time I ended up swimming around in a lake while rinsing my henna out. Mermaid soaks are definitely effective.

Bludrose
July 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I mermaid soak it, then let it sit in VO5/suave for 30 minutes. Usually does a pretty fair job.

Magalo
July 9th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I stay under the shower until the water run clear. Then I use conditionner and massage my scalp with it. It takes... maybe 10 minutes and I never had residues. Maybe you should get another brand of henna. :shrug:

mamaherrera
July 9th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Gosh most of you use conditioner on the scalp, which I can't do so maybe I"ll just have to massage it with just water. Yeah it's funny how the water was running clear, but that little ball of henna managed to stay intact to my scalp. Maybe because it's under other layers of my hair. I use the henna from hennaforhair, so I assume it's good stuff, no??? I use their darkest red, celebration, or whatever they call it now. If you put oil in the henna mix, does that require more time that the henna has to sit on your hair to deposit color though?? I thought oil prohibited the color from taking, which is why you shampoo your head before using henna to get all natural oil off, no??

McFearless
July 9th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Lightly scratching the scalp with a wide tooth comb may help loosen up henna patches.

mamaherrera
July 9th, 2013, 01:51 PM
THAT. . . I will try with the comb, after I've sat in the tub for maybe five minutes and shower hose it for another five. Good idea! Like!! I figure even if it is still matted together on the scalp, the comb won't do any damage as the henna will be bland and like mud. Hopefully. Of course, I won't rip that comb through either, I'll just kind of . . . well, like you said. . . . lightly scratch. LIke a scalp massage with the comb.

swearnsue
July 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
You don't need to wash your hair before a henna. I put coconut oil on my "dirty" hair. Henna the roots. Wrap in plastic so it doesn't dry out. Wait. Rinse out with water, shampoo, rinse again, condition with a good massaging it in and wide tooth comb through, then rinse and rinse some more.

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect rinse-out, a piece will get missed once in a while. I usually miss a little around one ear. I gets washed out next shampoo, hopefully nobody sees green stuff on my ear though! LOL

Hairitic
July 10th, 2013, 10:20 AM
You don't need to wash your hair before a henna. I put coconut oil on my "dirty" hair. Henna the roots. Wrap in plastic so it doesn't dry out. Wait. Rinse out with water, shampoo, rinse again, condition with a good massaging it in and wide tooth comb through, then rinse and rinse some more.

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect rinse-out, a piece will get missed once in a while. I usually miss a little around one ear. I gets washed out next shampoo, hopefully nobody sees green stuff on my ear though! LOL

AGREED; I henna when my hair is dirty and after rinsing it out thoroughly, I CO wash and rinse again. Only once did I have a little grit left in my hair afterwards but no "chunks". Usually my hair and scalp are left clean and clear.

browneyedsusan
July 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I oil my scalp with EVOO and a Q-tip (cotton swab) before I henna, and henna the dirtiest hair I can tolerate. It doesn't affect the stain one bit! I also flip my head over in the shower, massage the dickens out of it, and use lots of cheap, Suave conditioner to get it all out. The conditioner really cuts through the mud and takes it out much easier than plain water.

mamaherrera
July 11th, 2013, 08:36 AM
wow such different stories than from henna for hair. I will have to try this, maybe I can reverse what I do, since I do use sulfate free poo, I don't cowash, maybe do it on dirty hair, than wash afterwards, that would get it out for sure. Like I said, they all made it sound like any oil on the scalp would go against henna getting red on stubborn white hairs, which is what I do it for. also, I like to be able to get a nice red stain in the lowest time possible, for me, it's two hours, since i freeze my henna so the color deposits quick!