PDA

View Full Version : Hair not drying/not getting clean

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Hi! This is my first post. I've been a longtime lurker, but I've been so frustrated with my hair lately that I decided it's time to join and see if I could get some help.

I've been having trouble getting my hair to look clean, specifically in the back/crown area. That part of my hair takes forever to dry, and once it feels dry, it's still stringy like it's wet. The weird thing is, it's the entire length that's stringy. By the time I wash again, only the roots are stringy (the way dirty hair "should" be lol).

I wash with sulfate shampoo every three days, currently the Herbal Essences rose hip shampoo. Sometimes I notice this problematic part of my hair feels kind of... sticky or something, so I've thought maybe I'm not washing well enough or not rinsing well enough. So I try my hardest to fully wet my hair, shampoo the entire scalp, and rinse really well. Two washes ago I used my Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo, but that didn't make a difference. The last several washes I haven't been using conditioner, thinking that might be the problem, which it isn't. I even tried blow drying a little two washes ago, but that didn't help either.

I know the first thing you'll ask me is when this started, and I honestly don't remember. I've known for a long time that my hair will do this if I wear it up or braid it before it's completely dry. But I always wear my hair up, and since the front looks perfectly normal you can't see this problem at all when it's up. It's just in the last few months that I've been wanting to wear it down more, so I've been paying more attention and getting frustrated.

That probably didn't make much sense, so I took pictures. This is the front of my hair about five hours after washing it yesterday, clean and fluffy:
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w568/cinnamonleaves/72648888-08b3-40e7-bb8a-8dff0b8cea63_zpscf046c7b.jpg

The back, uck:
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w568/cinnamonleaves/083edba0-febd-4603-a48d-a17ad75159f3_zps6a9da60e.jpg

And now the back today. It's gotten a little better... (the front looks the same as it did yesterday)
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w568/cinnamonleaves/3e6f7b26-274c-4ed2-ba62-dcd4953c36be_zps5f5067ad.jpg

This is how my hair looked before I washed it yesterday. See how the length isn't stringy?
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w568/cinnamonleaves/817cecc1-af09-4b0f-80f3-f0e5d231d515_zps288163d3.jpg

Even if I don't want to wear it down, I still want my clean hair to look and feel clean, if I have to redo an updo while I'm out, or just for my own peace of mind. Stretching washes is one thing, but when I wash my hair I want it to actually be clean for a day or two.

Does anyone know what could be going on here?

dulce
July 9th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Try a floor fan.I use one daily to dry my washed hair,it's faster than a hair blower,no heat and leaves your hands free.I go on the computer and 15 minutes later my hip length hair is dry,make sure it is facing you so the hair blows backward.

dulce
July 9th, 2013, 09:10 AM
What you might be seeing is moisture in your hair left from the wash if there is high humidity?If I airdry only[no fan] I sometimes see this.

teela1978
July 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I don't think it's getting washed properly. Diluting shampoo can help get the suds down near your scalp/under your hair. Also, parting from ear to ear behind your head and washing/rinsing the underside separately could help. I get this too on occasion, not fun :(

ETA: also, when my hair starts doing this is takes longer to dry. I think it's the excess soap/oil/gunk left behind.

Anje
July 9th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Well, it sounds like you've clarified and all, so it's probably not buildup, and I agree that it looks like what I'd experience if I put my hair up still damp.

So... I'm wondering if the hair in that area is over-moisturized. Does it seem stretchier or limper or anything? This may be something of a fix-it patch instead of solving the problem, but I'm inclined to suggest you do a protein treatment on the hair in the problem spot. Whether you do the surrounding hair is up to you, but protein tends to making hair dry out a bit and volumizes a little as well as strengthening damaged or rough spots. If you overdo protein (which is more what my hair experiences), it'll get fluffy and tangly and snappy and dry, but this can be counteracted by reducing your use of it and moisturizing more.

emmyliten
July 9th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Subscribing to this thread, as I have the same issue! At least I think i do, but I feel more like no matter how much I rinse, when my hair is "dry" it still feels like the is conditioner left. It looks limp and like itīs either still well or very oily... Iīm still trying to find out what my hair needs, and find its protein/moisture balance. I try to stretch washes, but most of the time I find I "need" to wash it again because it simply doesnīt feel clean, just as you describe.

neko_kawaii
July 9th, 2013, 09:40 AM
It does look like it isn't getting fully washed in that section somehow. My suggestion is to thoroughly saturate your hair with diluted conditioner and leave it on for at least 20 minutes. If there is some sort of oil build up the conditioner will help release it. Diluting the conditioner ensures all the hairs get coated.

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm not sure the fan would make much of a difference if a blow dryer doesn't, though I might try it just to get it to dry faster. I have tried diluting shampoo before, but I'm usually too lazy to do it. I'm pretty sure I'm getting all of my scalp covered though. I use one squirt (lathered in my hands first) on the front half, coming in from my hairline, and a second squirt on the back half, coming from the sides of my head and the nape.

Over-moisturization sounds very plausible. It has been really humid here too, if that would contribute to it. I wouldn't say it's stretchy, but it's limp for sure. Can anyone recommend a protein treatment? I've never done one before.

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 09:43 AM
The diluted conditioner sounds like something to try, too. I do have a little cone-free conditioner I could use. I've tried CO in the past and it didn't clean my hair well, but it might be okay if I shampoo afterwards.

Anje
July 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM
My understanding is that Aphogee and Joico K-PAK both make excellent protein treatments, but they might be a bit on the intense side. Treatments labelled as being "restructuring" typically are heavy on the protein.

For the more DIY aspect, I've heard a couple. Lots of people like eggs or mayonnaise, but I'm concerned that the egg proteins aren't broken up small enough in those to really be effective. I've heard excellent things about this gelatin-based protein treatment (http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/p/science-y-hair-blog-recipes.html) and this one using low-sodium soy sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47142&p=1068792&viewfull=1#post1068792).

AmyBeth
July 9th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say I love your hair, the length, the color. I'm so envious. Hope you can figure out your problem.

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks, Anje! I think I will try neko kawaii's suggestion for my next wash, and if that doesn't help, then I'll give protein a try for the next wash.

Thanks again, everyone! I'll report back to let you know how it goes. :)

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Aw, thanks AmyBeth!! :o

jacqueline101
July 9th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I'd try a different shampoo.

melusine963
July 9th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I have the exact same problem, so I'll be watching this thread closely.

leoninnu
July 9th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Subscribing to this thread, since bf has the same problem.

biogirl87
July 9th, 2013, 02:39 PM
feathers, other members have given you good advice on what to do for your next wash, so I won't repeat it. But, just to let you know, I remember seeing either here or on another hair care site about Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo containing a silicone. So, I don't think you really clarified your hair when you shampoo with the Daily Clarifying shampoo as it just replaced the silicone that was left behind from when you washed your hair with Herbal Essences shampoo (all Herbal Essences shampoos that I've seen in our local stores have silicones in them).

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM
feathers, other members have given you good advice on what to do for your next wash, so I won't repeat it. But, just to let you know, I remember seeing either here or on another hair care site about Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo containing a silicone. So, I don't think you really clarified your hair when you shampoo with the Daily Clarifying shampoo as it just replaced the silicone that was left behind from when you washed your hair with Herbal Essences shampoo (all Herbal Essences shampoos that I've seen in our local stores have silicones in them).

I just checked the ingredients and it has two "-ones", but no "-cones", and it was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that "-ones" are not silicones but preservatives or something. And my HE shampoo doesn't have cones. So I'm pretty sure it's not buildup.

Kherome
July 9th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Have you tried a chelating rather than clarifying shampoo? Different animal.

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Have you tried a chelating rather than clarifying shampoo? Different animal.
I have not. But I'm pretty sure I don't have hard water, so is there any reason to?

Suze2012
July 9th, 2013, 03:24 PM
If it's humid where you are you might be reacting if there is humectant in the products you are using.

Is there any glycerin or aloe in them?

Humectant and humidity along with wet hair can make it go limp and as if greasy - I know because the roots of mine do and the rest of it goes frizzy (I'm a curly) - but that would link in with your clean looking ends and length - my hair reacts worse for me along the length but at the root part it gets lank and stringy if I use anything with glycerin when it's humid.

feathers
July 9th, 2013, 03:55 PM
If it's humid where you are you might be reacting if there is humectant in the products you are using.

Is there any glycerin or aloe in them?

Humectant and humidity along with wet hair can make it go limp and as if greasy - I know because the roots of mine do and the rest of it goes frizzy (I'm a curly) - but that would link in with your clean looking ends and length - my hair reacts worse for me along the length but at the root part it gets lank and stringy if I use anything with glycerin when it's humid.
Nope, no humectants that I know of.

biogirl87
July 9th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I just checked the ingredients and it has two "-ones", but no "-cones", and it was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that "-ones" are not silicones but preservatives or something. And my HE shampoo doesn't have cones. So I'm pretty sure it's not buildup.I looked online for its ingredients and saw that it's silicone-free. You're right in the ingredients that end in "-one" are not silicones. Not sure what else it could be in this case.

Anje
July 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM
But, just to let you know, I remember seeing either here or on another hair care site about Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo containing a silicone.
Ingredients list, according the the Walgreens website:
Water , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Cocamide MEA , Ammonium Chloride , PEG 5 Cocamide , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Fragrance , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , Polyquaternium-10 , Tetrasodium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin , Citric Acid , PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone , Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate) , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , FD&C Blue 1CI 42090 , D&C Red 33CI 17200

The pink is a silicone, but water-soluble. Not sure why they put it in there (and I've seen bottles that didn't seem to have it, IIRC), but it's not in most other Suave Naturals shampoos. The blue ones are preservatives.

ETA: Just to confirm, I KNOW I've seen bottles of this without the dimethicone. Maybe Suave goes back and forth, I don't know. It's probably worth checking your individual bottle.

biogirl87
July 9th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Anje, thank you for that list. Not sure why OP would be having the problems she's having.

Natalia
July 9th, 2013, 07:57 PM
When do you wash your hair? If its at night do you lay on it or flip it over your head? I get that from letting my damp hair sit against my head too long. When it gets stubborn and wont shampoo out I do a honey heavy SMT and leave it in for at least an hour.

sunflowersmiles
July 9th, 2013, 10:13 PM
I know you said that you didnot thin that you have hard water, but I had that problem wen I moved into my new place until I figured out we have hard water. I spray my hair with a little vinegar water mix. Since I started doing that I only have the problem occationally. Usually that is because I need to clarify. I usually use VO5 clarifying shampoo for that.

biogirl87
July 9th, 2013, 11:36 PM
sunflowersmiles, I think we have hard water here in Southern Illinois and I don't seem to have this problem with my hair when I let it dry before I go to bed (if I wash my hair in the evening). I wonder if Natalia is on to something with her theory regarding the problem feathers is having.

LadyCelestina
July 10th, 2013, 02:24 AM
I have that too,it's located exactly where my part ends,it's just one strand thats stringier and less smooth and I believe it's due to a minor infection on a patch of my scalp.I used to pick at my scalp.

I try not to think about it and just let it grow out.It helps if you can hide it under other strands.

feathers
July 10th, 2013, 05:53 AM
When do you wash your hair? If its at night do you lay on it or flip it over your head? I get that from letting my damp hair sit against my head too long. When it gets stubborn and wont shampoo out I do a honey heavy SMT and leave it in for at least an hour.
No, I've been washing my hair in the morning, leaving it down, fluffing it occasionally. There's nothing to prevent it from drying. And that's the thing. Before, I've blamed this on sleeping on wet hair or putting wet hair up, but now that I've had the chance to let it dry "properly," I don't know what's going on.

Just to explain my situation a bit, I graduated from high school a few months ago, so I've had plenty of free time to devote to drying (and worrying about) my hair. It'll be a different story when I leave for college this fall, which is why I want to get this figured out before then.

raingirl
July 10th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I have this exact problem with random shampoos. Even though they are cone free and have SLS, they leave a sticky stringy film in my hair at the crown and back of the scalp only, no matter what I do. It doesn't happen right away, but usually about 1/2 way into the bottle. Garnier Fructis shampoos are notorious for causing this on my hair.

I would try a completely different shampoo, something new you have never used before and see if it cleans up the gunk. I don't know why a shampoo would cause this as I never figured it out. I just had to change shampoos.

MeganE
July 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I am wondering.... if flip your head upside down, and apply water shampoo and conditioner to the back of your head the way you do the front normally, does the patch move?

feathers
July 10th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I decided to wash my hair this morning (a day early) because I won't have a lot of time tomorrow morning. (And because I was excited to solve this problem!) I coated all of my hair in diluted conditioner twenty minutes before my shower, then rinsed and shampooed. I don't normally shampoo and rinse upside down (because of tangles... and lazyness), but since I put the conditioner on that way I figured I might as well, to do all I could to get this hair clean. I spent some time in front of a fan and it was dry in about four hours. And... I don't know. It actually helped a lot (yay!) but not completely.

The crown looks pretty good.
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w568/cinnamonleaves/attempt1crown_zpsf5f86e99.jpg

There's just a few chunks around the middle of the back of my head that aren't too great.
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w568/cinnamonleaves/attempt1back_zps13baefd0.jpg

So... I'm pretty happy about this improvement, but what do you guys think it means? Since conditioner was helpful, does that mean my hair isn't over-moisturized and I don't need protein? Am I just really bad at washing my hair? (how hard can it be?!) I do think trying a new shampoo might be a good idea, but I'm not sure which would be a good one to try.

alexis917
July 10th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I put my hair up and it spends most of it's time damp, unless I let it down after it's up for a few hours and brush it.
Leaving my hair down while it dries and not touching it seems to get the roots stringy. I think it's because it's thick and doesn't dry too nicely without my help!

feathers
July 10th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I put my hair up and it spends most of it's time damp, unless I let it down after it's up for a few hours and brush it.
Leaving my hair down while it dries and not touching it seems to get the roots stringy. I think it's because it's thick and doesn't dry too nicely without my help!

My hair's kind of thick too (four inches), but I know it hates being put up damp. The hair at the "inside" of my bun, braid, or even a ponytail doesn't get any air and therefore will never dry.

Cassie_
July 10th, 2013, 05:34 PM
So strange, I haven't heard of having this kind of problem in just a section of your hair, but others have posted they have the same issue. And I see some suggestions, but most of them seem to relate to problems that would normally affect your whole head. Hard water, protein/moisture, why would that just be in a patch?

As far as that being the last area to dry, I think that is fairly common depending on your hair type/length and the humidity. It's the last part of my hair to dry too, and I hate having it moist; sometimes I feel like my head will get moldy! ;p I live in a very dry climate, and I did a poll once that seemed to show humid climate means ends dry last, dry climate means head dries last (comparing head to ends, middle doesn't count).

But the stringiness... and the fact that it gets better over time. This does seem to indicate some product getting left behind. When I put product on my ends, it looks a little stringy after my hair is dry, but that seems to disappear by the next morning. So this might not be the right answer, but it seems to fit the pieces best: somehow that particular part of your scalp/hair is not getting properly washed/rinsed.

I think I saw that earlier you said that you apply product around the hairline. I do the same thing, but I also apply it directly to my crown area as well. And then massage it in well, working your fingers from all around your hairline to the crown, and then just just massage the crown area. Next make sure that there is enough product to saturate your hair all the way down its length. When you rinse, repeat this massage technique from hairline to crown, then crown, then down length, making sure product is removed.

I don't know if I would have thought of this if it wasn't being discussed on another thread, but I am also going to recommend fingercombing while you are in the shower. Your hair seems fairly straight, so it shouldn't bee too much of an issue getting through tangles, just be gentle and patient. When applying conditioner and then when rinsing, comb your fingers through your hair to make sure product is applied to all your hair, and then again to make sure all product is removed. Don't just slide your whole hand over your hair like you're petting it, but get in there with your fingers to make sure you are reaching all the hair.

Many suggestions here, I don't know whether you will follow my idea, but I hope you are able to resolve the problem! Best of luck.

lbellm
July 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I'm new, but thought I'd jump in with a thought. Have you tried washing your hair with your head upside down in the shower? You'll really get at the back that way.

LBellM

lbellm
July 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Opps, sorry MeganE, since I'm new I can't edit. Just noticed you had the same idea. ::::stupid me::::

LBellM

feathers
July 11th, 2013, 08:30 AM
First of all, I wanted to say that by six hours after my shower all of the stringyness had gone away. So I guess the conditioner soak plus the washing upside down (I know it was stupid to try two things at once...) did the trick, even though my hair still takes a ridiculously long time to dry.

Thanks for all of the tips on washing, Cassie. I have been doing my best to cover my entire scalp while I've been having this problem. I think washing upside down helps a lot, so even though it's a pain I think I'm going to start doing that every time and see if that prevents this from happening again. (thanks Lbellm!) The one thing I don't do is fingercomb, since I always detangle before and after washing, but I guess that might help with distributing and rinsing conditioner.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else who has this problem is able to find a solution! And thanks again to everyone for all their help! :flower:

biogirl87
July 11th, 2013, 11:25 AM
feathers, what has helped me to distribute conditioner (and a bit with rinsing conditioner) was separating the clumps my hair form into while my hair and fingers are coated with conditioners.

Shorty89
July 11th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I had the greasy, staticky type problem when I used cones. Have you tried a no cone routine?

lbellm
July 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM
(thanks Lbellm!)

Again, it wasn't me who thought of this first. It was MeganE. Sorry for the mixup.

LBellM

Chiara
July 13th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I get this problem- for me it was because the canopy at the crown seems to become a bit matted together when its wet, and this stops the shampoo penetrating AND stops shampoo/conditioner rinsing out properly. So it was a double whammy of lack of cleansing and lack of rinsing! Washing upside down helped (but then I got tangles). Then I discovered CWC, which made washing upside down easier and less tangly (is that a word??). I also found that I had to be really thorough about working the shampoo into the hair under the crown with my finger tips, and lifting up section-by-section, to rinse.

cosmic crusader
July 13th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Apologies if this was already asked, but do you have hard water? This sounds like how my hair reacts to it. A club soda rinse helped my situation :]

Etna
July 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure if this will help the OP, but for me, when my hair wasn't drying it was because I was trying to be too careful with it and not comb it when wet. I must comb it thoroughly as soon as possible after giving it a quick dry or it clumps up into a soggy dread-like formation which stays even after I detangle it some time later. If I comb it all properly immediately it will dry and lose the clumps.

farmlass
July 14th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I have the same problem, but it always seems to happen on the days when I use shampoo and conditioner, instead of BS/ACV, so I thought I just wasn't rinsing the conditioner out properly. but when I washed my hair on Friday night with BS/ACV I noticed it was horrible and sticky/stringy on Saturday morning, so now I'm not so sure. I use Body Shop Rainforest Balance shampoo and conditioner, it seems to be the Rainforest conditioner that makes the problem worse, I've never noticed it when I use banana conditioner instead.
Also, the weather has been unusually hot for the UK in the last couple of weeks, so that may have something to do with it?

feathers
July 14th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks, everyone. I washed again yesterday and it didn't go as well as last time. I did about the same thing, except I used the last little bit of my cone-free conditioner, so there wasn't very much of that, and I used my coney conditioner just on the ends to help with tangles from washing upside down. I had to put my hair up for a couple hours but I let it down for the rest of the day. I still have a bit of stringyness today. :(

It's also been less horribly humid lately, so I can't blame it on that. I think my plan is to cut out cones completely, keep washing upside down, and maybe CWC.

I had the greasy, staticky type problem when I used cones. Have you tried a no cone routine?
I have done no cones in the past, and I was never able to notice much of a difference. But I am planning to try it again, as soon as I can get some more cone-free conditioner.

I get this problem- for me it was because the canopy at the crown seems to become a bit matted together when its wet, and this stops the shampoo penetrating AND stops shampoo/conditioner rinsing out properly. So it was a double whammy of lack of cleansing and lack of rinsing! Washing upside down helped (but then I got tangles). Then I discovered CWC, which made washing upside down easier and less tangly (is that a word??). I also found that I had to be really thorough about working the shampoo into the hair under the crown with my finger tips, and lifting up section-by-section, to rinse.
Yeah, the back of my head does feel sort of matted when I try to wash, even though I detangle completely before washing. It's like it just repels the water, haha. Washing upside down does help a lot, as does conditioner for the tangles.

Apologies if this was already asked, but do you have hard water? This sounds like how my hair reacts to it. A club soda rinse helped my situation :]
No, I'm pretty sure I don't. We don't get mineral deposits on anything and it's not well water...

I'm not sure if this will help the OP, but for me, when my hair wasn't drying it was because I was trying to be too careful with it and not comb it when wet. I must comb it thoroughly as soon as possible after giving it a quick dry or it clumps up into a soggy dread-like formation which stays even after I detangle it some time later. If I comb it all properly immediately it will dry and lose the clumps.
I do comb when wet, although it's a pretty wide-toothed comb.