PDA

View Full Version : What is the best thing you've learned from TLHC?

clioariane
July 9th, 2013, 04:17 AM
The title says it all! Whether it's a product, a technique or something else, what would you say is the most beneficial tip you've learned since joining TLHC? I'm curious to hear what worked for you! I think mine would be what trimming often really isn't as necessary as salons/magazines/companies tell you. I've been hovering around APL for about a year due to trimming every season, and now that I stopped doing that I'm noticing a lot more growth while the ends are still in fine condition!

Vanilla
July 9th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Wearing a sleep cap at night has drastically cut down on my tangles and mechanical damage. Also hair toys have helped with the urge to chop.

DarkCurls
July 9th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Well, if I have to choose just one thing, I'd say... updos.
I never used to wear my hair up. It was always down. Soon after I joined the LHC, I did the "Wear your hair up for X amount of time" challenge and went for two months. I got used to the way my face looks with my hair up, and stopped hating it. Now it is up almost every day, because it's convenient, and because I worry about damage.

I had to hesitate between this and the complete opposite of yours, clioariane -- not being afraid to trim! I have trimmed twice since I joined, to thicken up my ends, when I used to hate and fear doing it before. And cassia. I really, really liked cassia the two times I used it and want to use it again... And so many other things that the LHC has taught me.

Louise148
July 9th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I don't need a trim every 6-8 weeks. Don't blow dry (although I do on a cool setting on a saturday) and treat my bayfine hair gently. It is now shiny happy hair :happydance:

PetuniaBlossom
July 9th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Coconut oil. Castor oil mixed with coconut oil.
Protective updos.
Tangle Teezer.
Scalp massages.
CWC.
Self trimming. Microtrims.
All leading to the joy of long, healthy hair.
I love LHC.

door72067
July 9th, 2013, 06:02 AM
baby oil

def the best thing I've taken away from reading here

restless
July 9th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Ive learnt about so many useful things here during the long time Ive been lurking and its hard to pick just one :) But, if I have to say one thing that has made the most difference for the health of my hair, Id pick coconut oil. In the past my hair was heavily abused by heat, hairspray, teasing, dye and bleach and even though I quit all of that a long time ago, my ends are still a part of the hair that had to go through that. However after I started using coconut oil a couple of times per week, the feel of my ends (well, the feel of ALL of my hair actually) have changed dramatically and theyre now soft and tangle free.

So yes. Coconut oil :crush:

rut.de.leu
July 9th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Apple cider vinegar to help with my hard water, and conditioner-only. Also hairtoy recommendations and updo help!

Fairlight63
July 9th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Oiling my hair an hr. or so before washing it. Really makes my hair a lot less tangily.

panffle
July 9th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Coconut oil. I had honestly never heard of it before LHC. Also things like self trimming. I used to use regular scissors to cut my hair, not proper hair shears. And protective hairstyles. :)

Lady Mary
July 9th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Natural soaps (like Chagrin Valley) have changed my hair and body care forever. I literally use one soap (Coffee Spice) for my face, hair, body and shaving. I also bought one of their moisturizers for after the shower which I use everywhere and one deodorant. I've simplified what was dozens of care products into three. It's wonderful!

gossamer
July 9th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Two things!

1) how to use sticks to bun my hair

2) stretching washes. I wash ever 5-7 days now, sometimes stretching even further to 8 or 9!

MeganE
July 9th, 2013, 08:35 AM
A lot of actions come from one awareness: the relationship between moisture and build-up.

Removing hard minerals with chelating treatments, preventing new minerals from depositing with vinegar and distilled water rinses, and maintaining with occasional chelating treatments. Also silicone free. In other words everything under the sun to prevent any sort of deposits or build-up on my baby fine hairs.

Then getting moisture in, with oils. Using non-stripping shampoos to clean. Using good moisturizing conditioners. Sealing moisture in with more oils. Keeping moisture in with damp buns. That one understanding of how weighed down and moisture-bereft my locks used to be---combined with treating it gently and preventing mechanical damage---has turned my fine limp lifeless hair into what seems to me on its best days like a soft fluffy cloud. It even has waves. :)

Hootenanny
July 9th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Some of mine will be repeats of what others said:
1. CO washing (or using a sulfate-free shampoo if needed)
2. Coconut oil! Love!
3. Sleeping on a satin pillowcase
4. The joys of hair toys, lol!

Tota
July 9th, 2013, 09:11 AM
CO washing, ACV rinses for hair, scalp and body and using ACV as a facial toner. Also ditching cones and sulphates.

lunalocks
July 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
SOOOOO many best things to choose from! 2 years ago I would have said S and Ding frequently and spin pins. 1 year ago I would have said hair forks and bun variety and wearing up most of the time. Right now I am so grateful for catnip tea and baby oil. My splits have dwindled almost to 0 and my ends are in great shape. I think I can finally gain some length (beyond my usual 2 to 3 inches per year after trims) by not having to trim so much off and so often.

~honeyflower~
July 9th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Um, I say just really looking at your hair and try to figure out what its telling you. I think experimenting is key because not everyones hair is the same. There are a few basics that most people agree to like going sulfate free,try heat-free,gentle handling, keeping your hair up but not the same style everyday, not teasing or putting extensions in, and not washing with shampoo everyday. The rest, is just trial and error. Experiment for one year whatever changes you make; try it for two weeks before deciding if it works for you. Keep a journal, so you can write all your experiences you tried that works and doesn't.

The haircare is what I learned on LHC, but patience and gentleness is what makes my hair look and feel radiant.

meteor
July 9th, 2013, 10:12 AM
1) Detangling very gently only with high quality tools. - This had a dramatic immediate effect of not losing hundreds of hair strands every day to constant mechanical damage. My hair is much closer to my original thickness now.
2) Pre-wash treatments - really getting my hair saturated with oils, conditioners, SMTs etc before washes has been very nourishing and brought shine back.
3) Updos - great for avoiding mechanical damage and stretching washes.
4) Awareness of good and bad ingredients for hair and scalp.
5) Listening to my hair and actual results, not to hairdressers and commercials.

Beborani
July 9th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Spin pins--would never have picked them up even though they are available in stores

Reading posts here about natural hair care has made me revisit traditional care from childhood especially the rule of always oiling hair before wetting

Condtion only wash. Occasionally throw in shikakai wash (with amla and methi as I used to)

I use silicones and it hasnt affected me negatively at all despite all the warnings here

Picked up argan oil and will try a few from other traditions to see if they are any different from my old staples. So far like argan oil mixed with leave in or silicones over coconut oil. I find preoiling with sesame oil before wash removes the silicone buildup, so that is never been a problem.

I used to use porcupine needles picked up from a farm as hair-sticks long long ago (it was unusual those days and I enjoyed wearing them for shock value). One of these days will buy a real one--never knew etsy has so mnay storefronts for hairvtoys--learnt from lhc

Hve nearly ditched shampoo, except for travel and such.

Vrindi
July 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Coconut oil to protect from the sun and ACV rinses, stretching washes, and all the pretty hairstyles!

norsbaby85
July 9th, 2013, 11:02 AM
self-trimming/micro-trimming....its nice being able to control how much is cut off, instead of walking into the hair salon wondering how much they are gonna hack off this time(which always seems to be more than what I want even when I show them how much) Also coconut oil is the best thing since sliced cake for my hair and skin!

sarahthegemini
July 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I've learnt all about oils - S.A.O, grapeseed, apricot kernel, jojoba, evoo, coconut, argan and avocado. These are just the ones I've experimented with. Until discovering LHC, I'd never of thought to oil my hair!

oatmealpie
July 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
- Cheapie silicone-free conditioners like Suave Naturals
- Shampoo bars
- Apple cider vinegar rinses
- Henna without lemon juice
- And of course our good friend coconut oil

AmyBeth
July 9th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Gee, I've learned so much valuable information. I think the most important thing I've learned is that my hair is not "wrong", I do not have to force it to be what it is not. I spent most of my life either struggling to make it look "right", or just living a perpetual bad hair day. I've learned to accept that my hair is not failing to be what it is supposed to be, its perfectly mine. With that knowledge, its so much easier to figure out what is good for my hair, making it the best it can be, instead of looking like I've failed to make it look like a shampoo commercial or magazine cover. It's so freeing.

jacqueline101
July 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
S&d
Oiling
Up dos
Satin bonnets
Bbb
Wide tooth comb
Stretch washes did before I came learned it was ok

neko_kawaii
July 9th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Gee, I've learned so much valuable information. I think the most important thing I've learned is that my hair is not "wrong", I do not have to force it to be what it is not. I spent most of my life either struggling to make it look "right", or just living a perpetual bad hair day. I've learned to accept that my hair is not failing to be what it is supposed to be, its perfectly mine. With that knowledge, its so much easier to figure out what is good for my hair, making it the best it can be, instead of looking like I've failed to make it look like a shampoo commercial or magazine cover. It's so freeing.

This is such an important thing to learn!

Surinecet
July 9th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I have learned so many things while lurking here, and am still learning. It's a bit overwhelming to try and change everything at once, so thus far the most helpful info that I have used is:

-Using a wide tooth comb
-Coconut oil treatments from time to time
-Curly girl method for styling (I still use shampoo, but comb out in shower with conditioner, gently scrunch with towel, and use gel. Never knew I had such waves!)
-Henna for color
-No heat styling
-No trims for a while, only S&D (though I haven't had to do that yet, actually, last trim was in March)

Beborani
July 9th, 2013, 12:07 PM
And I want to thank whoever recommended Trader Joes conditioners for CO wash. I nearly gave up on this method when I tried Suave naturals and Vo5 mentioned here as they stripped my hair worse than shampoo. I use both tea tree tingle and moisture something--one for length and one for scalp.

melusine963
July 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
The best product I found thanks to the LHC is coconut oil. The best technique I've learned is to wear updos 100% of my waking life.

chen bao jun
July 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I learned that 'frizzy' is not a hair type and that I really am still a curly, as I was as a child. And that there is nothing 'wrong' with my hair; just that when you treat curly hair the same as straight, it doesn't respond well (and that's putting it mildly). that was the main thing--under that heading, I learned to CWC, leave in conditioner, fingercomb and how to wash my hair without creating tangles. I was also surprised to learn that I do not actually have tangly hair--that the rough treatment I was giving my hair was what had it knotted together all the time.
Washing in colder water helped too, olive oil (extra virgin) does my hair good as well as aloe vera gel and of course there is the indispensable silk scarf/braid and satin pillowcase for sleeping.
Last winter I put a satin cap on under all my wool hats and kept my hair in updoes and it was amazing how it grew.

chen bao jun
July 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I also have learned that there is no reason to go to a hairdresser. Ever. How very liberating that was.

Alexblue
July 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I also have learned that there is no reason to go to a hairdresser. Ever. How very liberating that was.

I second that :-)

PetuniaBlossom
July 9th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Yup, I third it. Yippee!

Puchuca
July 9th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Oiling and self trim! :o

Feidlimid
July 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I'm so glad I came across these forums as my hair always used to feel dry, especially at the ends. I discovered how beneficial different oils are for my hair and that stretching my washes leaves my hair feeling softer and less dry. I'm still looking to apply more hair care techniques when I get the money to :)

embee
July 9th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Tough to choose one thing... probably hairsticks.

However, a *very* close second is WO and NWSO. Those are a liberation. :)

Redhead Rebel
July 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM
No heat

That my hair wasn't just badly behaved frizzy straight hair - It's curly! So no more brushing. . .

samanthajenalyn
July 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM
CO washing, going sulfate and silicone free! Also never brushing hair, and only using wide tooth combs.
:) still learning stuff everyday.

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 11:37 PM
I know there is a tun of stuff to pick from but since I found this site in 2003 the one thing that I have changed is just washing my scale. I use to do what the commercials said and washed all my hair with shampoo. I also switched from brush to comb and learned how to do a bun at the age of 17.

Skade
July 10th, 2013, 09:35 AM
How to use hair sticks. To discover the world of hair toys have really made me enjoy the hair growing journey a lot more.

MaryO
July 10th, 2013, 11:39 AM
ACV rinses, oiling, no heat and that BENIGN NEGLECT is also ok! ;-)

Kyoshi
July 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Pretty much everything! Coconut oil, shampoo bars, ACV rinses, catnip soaks, self-trimming.

The best thing- HAIR TOYS. :D I only have a few right now but I'm totally hooked.

browneyedsusan
July 10th, 2013, 05:57 PM
1) Don't use heat
2) I don't need expensive products, cheap Suave is just fine! --Who knew?
3) Got a LOT better at using henna
4) Haircuts are not necessary to maintain the health of your hair

Angela_Rose
July 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Menstrual cups.

Angela_Rose
July 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Also coconut oil, only shampooing my scalp, and having gotten loads of new friends.

rapunzhell13
July 10th, 2013, 08:09 PM
~ if you don't cut hair, it will grow (sounds obvious but the myth of trims every 6 wks is still going strong!)
~ wash less frequently (I used to wash like once or twice a day, but now it's more like 2-3 times a week)
~ alternative wash methods/products (e.g. shampoo bars)
~ oiling methods
~ hairstyles
~ hair toys
~ henna
~ that REALLY long hair is achievable
~ long hair is often less effort/money/time than short hair

I'm sure there's more. :)

stachelbeere
July 11th, 2013, 03:53 AM
treat your hair like ancient lace.

Lalital
July 11th, 2013, 06:01 AM
To trim my own hair. After the first time, I felt confident and so happy to be in control of my own hair.

Rebbylicious
August 9th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I am literally 2 days old on this forum and I have learned so many things! I already purchased some hair oil (Camilla sp?) a super gorgeous hair stick, and a silk sleep cap. I also tried a few new bun techniques that don't feel too tight and don't pull. I fell in love with a hair fork on etsy but I am trying to justify the cost.... It's amazing how much I have learned in just a few days.

Leeloo
August 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM
There is so much to choose from. I think I love the fact that people here actually know what the products are made of and understand the ingredients and not just use the product because the commercial said so. So I guess learning the ingredients.

Wasy
August 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM
it had never occurred to me to oil my hair before :)

GrowingGlory
August 9th, 2013, 05:08 PM
I can have my hair exactly as I prefer it to be without spending money on damaging products and processes.

WilfredAllen
August 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM
tangle teezer, vinegar rinses, sls-free shampoo, search and destroy, hair porosity (mine is low)

swearnsue
August 9th, 2013, 07:49 PM
That we can grow our hair long at ANY AGE!!! Silk pillowcases, oiling and that it's not necessary to brush your hair 100 strokes every day.

Flournoy
August 9th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Oiling. I came into long hair completely blind. i had picked up a descent washing routine already but I just got some oil and started trying that and it makes a huge difference.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Benign neglect.
Oils.
Updos.
Sleeping cap.
Patience.

PianoPlaye
August 10th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Conditioner. (I wandered in thinking it was optional....) :shudder:
Hair elastics without metal. (I now have a special chest of drawers of "safe" elastics, hairpins, silk scarves, combs....) :flower:
Benign neglect. (I'm Good at this!) :hifive:
Patience. (Much less so.) :blossom:

PianoPlaye
August 10th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Conditioner. (I wandered in thinking it was optional....) :shudder:
Hair elastics without metal. (I now have a special chest of drawers of "safe" elastics, hairpins, silk scarves, combs....) :flower:
Benign neglect. (I'm Good at this!) :hifive:
Patience. (Much less so.) :blossom:

Silverbrumby
August 10th, 2013, 10:05 AM
That even with the best care your hair length can't be magically fixed, altered or changed from your genetic makeup.

DarleneH
August 10th, 2013, 01:23 PM
#1: It doesn't make me horribly nasty to stop shampooing so much.

Also:
CO washing.
All the Indian hair oils I've had fun playing with.
Diatomaceous earth, Mega-Tek, Monistat, and essential oils for hair and scalp.
Homemade hair mists.

Sharysa
August 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Oiling my hair. Holy crap, almond oil has made SO MUCH difference in my hair. It's nowhere near as frizzy, it's not limp and shapeless anymore, and it keeps proper waves as opposed to becoming a vaguely-wavy mess if I let it down.

Busymom
August 11th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Since I found THLC I have realised that my chemically straightened hair is NOT ME and I am growing it out. It's a very liberating feeling...For the past 10 years or so,every 3 months the new curly hair that I see when I look at myself in the mirror has been DRIVING ME CRAZY until i paid my usual visit to the hairdresser and feeling sorry and angry that I spent all my hard earned money.
i have stopped walking past the shampoo and conditioner section in supermarkets.. I have got over that addiction..
I use egg shampoo and henna and Indian Herbs to wash my hair....
Stretching washes now.. maximum twice a week..mostly once a week
I have learned to love my hair.. it's not curly and frizzy anymore because I treat it well (using a wide toothed comb and finger combing while removing tangles).. it's well behaved now.
I haven't seen my hair dresser in ages:) and I am now waist length .. aiming for classic.... love TLHC

Ambystoma
August 11th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Proper self trimming (I used to sometimes just take 1/2 an inch off the end of a loose braid if I wanted a trim :o haha - now I can get the ends looking professionally trimmed yay!)
Heat free styling, there are so many options to get different looks and rag curls/roller sets tend to hold a lot better than curling iron curls for me too with the bonus of no damage.
Silk pillowcases and keeping my hair contained at night - morning comb outs are easy and quick now thanks to less tangles.
Updos and hairsticks! I'd never even heard of a hairstick before joining and now I use one every day, much easier and more gentle than the old "make a bun with a hairtie" method shudder:

Ashenputtel
August 11th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Hum, it's a tough one, but if you force me to pick only one I would say putting my hair up. My hair was always down. Proper detangling is also a good one I learnt.

MunaZaldrizoti
August 11th, 2013, 04:01 AM
I would say oiling my hair and stretching washes. There's some things I've learnt that I want to try when my hair grows out as well. :)

Adelynd
August 11th, 2013, 07:31 AM
The best thing I've learned is that hair needs to be treated very gently. It has changed ever aspect of my hair care routine. Instead of ripping a brush through my dry, straightened hair, I finger-comb, air dry, oil, and actually pay attention to its needs. All those hours of styling I used to do and I realize now I never even really looked at my hair itself. I was just too busy "fixing" and styling it to see the damage I was causing. It seems so strange now, but it went on for years.

Silverbrumby
August 11th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I haven't paid for a haircut I'm 3 years! Saved $100's of dollars.

RileyJane
August 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I think the best thing I've learned from LHC is a mixture of things:
Coconut oil / olive and jojoba oil are heaven
How to detangle/ comb my hair properly
Protective updos
Hair masks hair treatments hair masks hair treatments!
And to just not mess with my hair, and it'll grow faster :o

Dhenianne
August 11th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Moisturizing and oiling a bit every Day. Shampoo bars and using hair toys!

alexis917
August 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM
1. Coconut oil! I used to use EVOO all the time, but recently started with this, and my hair loves it just as much- if not more.
2. Feye's Self Trim! Also the CreaClip- looks easy, I want to buy one and see if I can get my ends even more even.
3. What works for some people might not work for you, depending on your hair type and what you need!
4. UPDOS! All day, everyday!
5. Skipping washes is fine.
6. Going cone-free makes my hair so happy even though it's thick, coarse, 1c hair- It's not just for fineys!
7. Etsy is a heavenly realm that I'm KIND of obsessive about.

soapstone
August 11th, 2013, 03:42 PM
CO, my hair loves moisture. Comb almost exclusively, except for occasional soft boar bristle to polish up an updo. Wearing hair up. Oiling overnight from the ears down, sensitive scalp. In fact I am off to do that now.

purrmonsterr
August 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Co-washing, scalp massages and learning about porosity have helped me so tremendously!

BreeTheBoss
August 16th, 2013, 07:55 PM
SMT, EVOO, dont brush/comb when wet, actually i barely brush/comb at all anymore, dont wash hair every day, the list does on :)

ejking2
August 16th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Self-trim has to be best thing I've learned. I hated going to the hairdresser, and they always cut off more than I asked for. It's so liberating and empowering to do it myself. Coconut oil and gentle detangling are two other things that have helped my hair in a major way.

OrangeLove
August 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM
-Shampoo only the scalp
-Condition from the ears down
-I used to trim regularily, which I learned from this forum, and it was great for condition, but now I have layers...
-Use a satin pillowcase at night

Deekers
August 16th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I am new to the site and still learning, but the changes that I have made so far are:
-- start using conditioner, used to use shampoo only or a two in one, intending to try to co only method once i find the right conditioner
-- wash less often, now it is every other day instead of daily
-- start doing oil treatments, still learning about different oils and techniques
-- i dont really need to make a hair trim appointment every 6 weeks, and trimming my own hair like I used to do is ok and not weird (i tend to not trust the evenness of a hairdresser cut, paranoid about the right and left sides being even)
-- stop using a blow fryer (right before i found this site I just bought a new one with a diffuser attachment, it is still in the box), and don't buy a straightener like I was considering doing, embrace my waves, and dont use a curling iron just to make my hair shiny for the day.

(profile avatar is a picture from today, air dried hair, no products in it, am interested in getting it healthier, shinier, longer)

sarahthegemini
August 17th, 2013, 06:47 AM
So many things!
CWC
To use a rinse out condish as a leave in
To use oils as sealants, or for hot treatments
To comb instead of brush (I was already doing this but I thought it was a little weird)
To use a wooden comb, not a plastic one
To fingercomb instead of using an actual comb wherever possible
To wear hair in a bun to sleep
To wear a satin sleep cap
To not wear hair in a pony tail as this can be damaging
To do deep treatments regularly
All about cones vs cone-free products
The list goes on and on!

longhair64
August 17th, 2013, 07:16 AM
The #1 thing I have learned at LHC (so far) is coconut oil pretreatments. They have made a HUGE difference for me. Before, it took lots of time and hair tearing, unfortunately, to get my hair detangled after washing. With the coconut oil, it only takes a couple minutes and no hair tearing! Yea!!!!

The 2nd biggest thing I've learned is to use a sulfate free shampoo. I've experienced a big reduction of head itchiness since switching.

And the list goes on...

I've had long hair most of my life and I get lots of compliments on my current 48" hair, but with LHC I really look forward to having long hair that's in much better condition. Thanks to all the knowledgeable LHCer's who so generously share their wisdom!

Silver Sister
August 17th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Coconut oil was the first thing I learned, followed by gentle combing. You've all been so helpful teaching how to type hair and measure length and thickness of the ponytail, too.

Mindy
August 17th, 2013, 05:42 PM
That frizzy isn't my natural hair texture. Once I stopped blow frying daily and using harsh chemicals, my hair texture totally changed for the better.

Egana
August 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I've learned that different hair types need different care, and that the "strange" things I came up with that worked for my hair are not strange at all, but very apt for my crazy curly hair. I wash only every couple weeks, with a few rinses with water only in between, and then a leave-in for curl definition, and I am not crazy! YAY!

Also, "oil" in my hair is so nice, and I would have never thought to put oil in, but my hair LOVES oil. The more I put in, the healthier it looks and feels. My family thinks I'm nuts (they all have fine hair, and have to battle "the greasies") but my hair really responds well to a good oiling every week or so. Doesn't even matter what kind, Olive, Coconut, Baby Oil, whatever.

nakima
August 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM
braiding at night and less brushing

Fairlight63
August 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
If my hair is dry, to wet it & put olive oil on the length & bun it. When I take it down it is much softer.
To wear a sleep cap at night to protect my hair.
To put oil on my hair an hour before washing it - makes my hair really soft & a lot easier to detangle.

mariazelie
August 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
The best thing I have learned on TLHC is that everyone has some sort of hair difficulty at one time or another, not just me! I love having a place to go and find answers.

Maktub
August 17th, 2013, 07:39 PM
That having beautiful hair is possible.

ebullience
August 18th, 2013, 01:59 AM
That coconut oil is the best! I slept with some in my hair overnight, washed it out with conditioner this morning (which I also wouldn't have known to do if it weren't for the forums) and now my hair feels the softest it has in a long time!

And I've also learned that you don't need to use hair straighteners or other contraptions every day to have beautiful hair - it seems pretty obvious but it was something I had a hard time believing until I joined this site :)

RedNymph
August 18th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Castor oil. Best discovery and has helped my hair.

frejafjord
August 18th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I never imagined that going for a week or two without washing could be normal but now it's the best thing I ever did for my hair!

Also vinegar rinses, hallelujah!