PDA

View Full Version : Sun In VS Go Blonder

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 04:17 AM
I know neither will be good for hair and will be causing some damage but which is least damaging? I've heard go blonder by john freida has make people hair fall out but I've heard Sun in makes peoples hair orange. Also, can cassia be put on top if either is applied? I heard of people getting their hair colored after and it sizzles but I'm not sure cassia will be the same. Anyone have experience with this? I want to use this in a way of replacing going to the salon and getting my hair highlighted. I thought this would be a less damaging alternative.

Nightshade
July 9th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Hair goes orange when it's lightened, no matter what you use. The difference is how MUCH lightening you get.

If you have brown hair, when you lighten it it goes orange before it goes yellow-blonde. A weaker lightener, like Sun-In, might not be strong enough to lift past the orange into the lighter shades.

So, really, it depends on how much lightening you need. If you're already lighter, you might be able to get away with Sun-In or similar. If it's darker, you'll want to talk to a professional.

jacqueline101
July 9th, 2013, 11:56 AM
You forgot one lemon juice and water. Spray it in and go outside the sun lightens your hair.

cheetahfast
July 9th, 2013, 12:08 PM
If your profile pic is correct in color, your hair is much too dark to use either without getting a brassy orange first--it might not be able to get lighter than it from the stuff too.

I used both in the past, I found the old john frieda go lighter was great and that the new one sucks--it's much weaker now. The old stuff did not have a good shelf life. Sun in works too but will not get you as light.
For less damage I think bleaching with coconut oil over your hair for protection might be best.

The other stuff is still bleaching it too and needs several applications and heat, so just getting it done professionally would probably prevent some damage.

I got stuck at a light blonde with the sun in and it wouldn't lighten further, with the old john frieda go blonder applied once on the sun in lightened hair I got to platinum.

ETA: My siggy is my color now but thats not from any sort of sun-in, that's henna.

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 10:51 PM
jacqueline101: I tried this when I was life guarding. I would put it on and let my hair soak in the sun for 10 hrs. It didn't really do anything.

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 11:09 PM
The pic I have in my profile is pretty old. I tried to put some current pictures in my pic album but for some reason only 5 old pictures went through. Looking at the roots you can sort of get an idea of my natural color. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10026

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hair goes orange when it's lightened, no matter what you use. The difference is how MUCH lightening you get.

If you have brown hair, when you lighten it it goes orange before it goes yellow-blonde. A weaker lightener, like Sun-In, might not be strong enough to lift past the orange into the lighter shades.

So, really, it depends on how much lightening you need. If you're already lighter, you might be able to get away with Sun-In or similar. If it's darker, you'll want to talk to a professional.

DO you have any idea what cassia on top might do to it? I know always do a strand test but I figured I'd ask since you are the henna expert.

long&blonde
July 9th, 2013, 11:27 PM
When Sun-In first came out, another product called Lemon Go Lightly came out too. It took my lightest golden brown, as a teen, white blonde. I was a sun worshipper, sure that played into it too.

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Is that the same as Hair Lightener Lemon? http://www.drugstore.com/sun-in-hair-lightener-lemon/qxp227543?catid=183441

2peasinapod
July 10th, 2013, 12:37 AM
It looks like you have almost the same hair color as me, though a little warmer in tone. I just tried to lighten my hair last month. I didn't use either of those products, but since peroxide is the main ingredient in Sun-In and I found a few tutorials saying you could lighten your hair with peroxide, I tried it. It didn't work. I tried peroxide with baking soda wrapped in foil, peroxide with baking soda wrapped in saran wrap, straight peroxide, peroxide with lemon juice, drying with a hair dryer, letting it dry in the sun, and waiting five or six hours in full sun with it on.

I did all this within the span of a few days. It didn't make a difference. If I put my ends right next to my roots, they are maybe 1-2 shades lighter. Seriously, it doesn't even look like I did anything. It did, however, bring out all sorts of red undertones which look horrible next to my cool skin. I guess I should be happy my hair isn't orange or damaged, but geez!

None of the other DIY lightening treatments have ever worked for me. Go ahead and try it if you feel like it, but don't be disappointed if the results aren't very dramatic. Good luck with whatever you use!

Nightshade
July 10th, 2013, 07:32 AM
DO you have any idea what cassia on top might do to it? I know always do a strand test but I figured I'd ask since you are the henna expert.

Cassia won't lighten your hair. It can, at best, give your hair golden tones :)

kellinaturalmom
July 10th, 2013, 07:52 AM
michiru, I would go with the sun-in. I would feel weird about washing with the Go Blonder shampoo and rubbing it into my scalp every time I wash... at least with sun-in it would be like a one time thing, and not on your scalp. Sun-in would be more dramatic of a change I'm guessing.

Nightshade
July 10th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I got zero change from Sun-In with the sun, but if you use a blow dryer on it it lightens nicely.

Michiru
July 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM
michiru, I would go with the sun-in. I would feel weird about washing with the Go Blonder shampoo and rubbing it into my scalp every time I wash... at least with sun-in it would be like a one time thing, and not on your scalp. Sun-in would be more dramatic of a change I'm guessing.

Oh it's not the shampoo. They also have a spray. http://www.drugstore.com/john-frieda-sheer-blonde-go-blonder-controlled-lightening-spray/qxp329725?catid=183441

Michiru
July 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Cassia won't lighten your hair. It can, at best, give your hair golden tones :)

So my hair wouldn't sizzle or turn a funny color because of the chemicals currently on my hair? That's what I'm worried about.

2peasinapod
July 10th, 2013, 08:52 PM
You could always do a strand test to see how your hair will react. I have long, side swept bangs, so I like to test new things on the bottom of them. A section of hair from behind your ear is also a good choice. It is discreet and won't be very noticeable if it doesn't turn out the way you want, especially if you only color the ends.

teddygirl
July 17th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Michiru, did you end up using either of these? I got a bunch of free samples of the go blonder spray and wondered how you fared.

palaeoqueen
July 17th, 2013, 02:49 AM
I bleached my hair almost platinum (naturally dark blonde) with Sun In as a teenager. I don't recommend it, my hair was absolutely wrecked. If you're determined to go lighter go and get some highlights done professionally, it'll be far less damaging. You can read on here about using coconut oil beforehand to minimise damage (I've never done it so I can't advise but a lot of people recommend it).

Chiara
July 17th, 2013, 03:01 AM
The thing about these products is that they don't contain toner, so if you have blonde hair it will go yellow, darker hair will go develop reddish tones. There is lots of good info online about using peroxide and toner to get the look you're after.
Cassia can have a really green-yellow tint on lightened hair, speaking from experience. So def do a patch test!

browneyedsusan
July 17th, 2013, 07:54 AM
So my hair wouldn't sizzle or turn a funny color because of the chemicals currently on my hair? That's what I'm worried about.

Cassia can't lighten hair. It will deposit a transparent yellow color on top of your current color and add shine. It shows up great on gray, but is not noticeable on darker colors. (Think wrapping your hair in yellow Saran Wrap?) Results last 3 or 4 weeks.

kidari
July 17th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I've been toying with the idea of lightening my hair all over from a black to a rich medium brown shade. It sounds like your hair is very dark? I've been doing some research and I think you might want to look into "bleach baths" or "bleach shampoo." You mix a packet of bleach (violet or blue supposedly to prevent brassiness) with shampoo and 10-20 volume developer and process anywhere from 10 minutes to a maximum of 30 minutes. It's supposed to remove some semi-permanent color and lighten only a couple shades. However, I'm hesitant because I know I'll most likely end up a patchy, uneven brassy mess. From what I've read, after people do a bleach bath they pretty always color over it to achieve the color they are after but some people say it's better to let your hair rest a day before coloring over it unless the formula is really gentle and conditioning. Let us know what you end up doing and if it's a success!

Michiru
July 22nd, 2013, 05:28 PM
Michiru, did you end up using either of these? I got a bunch of free samples of the go blonder spray and wondered how you fared.
I have used the go blonder but I was reading reviews that people were saying it was a watered down version of sun in. Also I heard some people saying that it made there hair so thin at the top it started to break off but I think these were people who had color done in the past and it was reacting with the chemicals. It did work, my hair is lighter and a nice color I'm just not sure about continuing if it will make will make even thinner. I was hoping the cassia would thicken it up. I'm going to have to look into the coconut oiling.

RileyJane
August 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
When I was blonde I used the sheer blonde go blonder and found my hair was softer when compared to sun in, I never had a problem with it, and it always lightened my hair to a good shade of blonde til I could highlight again

teddygirl
August 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Just found these reviews (http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?itemid=142013), which make me wary of using the spray now.

Coolcombination
August 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Jesus those reviews are horrible! Totally put me off touching it with a barge pole!

teddygirl
August 5th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I know! Even if they had horrible hair beforehand that is not good news :/

cmdinoto
August 5th, 2013, 06:43 PM
My hair color was the same as your and I used Sun-In. It made it an orange color. My boyfriend thought I was a red-head when he first met me. My personal opinion is to go to a really good salon and go to a person you trust. I wish I just went straight to the salon without doing sun-in. I have had less damage from my salon experience than what the Sun-In did to my hair.

massivecnqstdr
August 5th, 2013, 07:22 PM
John Frieda Go Blonder worked better than Sun-In for me. My hair always went in the strawberry direction even though my starting color was medium-dark blonde, but it always does that. I loved it. I didn't find it particularly damaging.
Only reason I'm going to henna glosses instead of sticking with my Go Blonder pale strawberry is because I want hair that feels thicker/coarser.