PDA

View Full Version : What to do when your skin hates the shampoo and conditioner your hair loves?

kysgrl
July 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I have been using the aussie moist shampoo and conditioner and my hair adores it but Im breaking out like crazy. What to do now?

goldloli
July 8th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Alternate or discontinue use, at least that's what I do. SLS free shampoos don't clear my scalp well enough and I break out if i use them exclusively, even though I favor the results on my length. I just make sure to use a shampoo and dish that will remove any residue, every 2 washes.

Or you could use a separate shampoo applied to scalp massage it in, then use the aussie on the length down. It may be the dish breaking you out so you could try not applying on scalp too.

kysgrl
July 8th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I never put conditioner on my scalp so im guessing its the shampoo too. Any product recs?
Alternate or discontinue use, at least that's what I do. SLS free shampoos don't clear my scalp well enough and I break out if i use them exclusively, even though I favor the results on my length. I just make sure to use a shampoo and dish that will remove any residue, every 2 washes.

Or you could use a separate shampoo applied to scalp massage it in, then use the aussie on the length down. It may be the dish breaking you out so you could try not applying on scalp too.

ExpectoPatronum
July 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I would suggest trying to pinpoint whether it's the conditioner, the shampoo, or both that is making you break out.

Then, maybe wash your face with an acne wash after you rinse out the conditioner to get rid of any residue on your face that could be causing your breakouts. I would also suggest keeping your hair off your face and using a different conditioner as a leave in while your skin heals.

kysgrl
July 8th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I believe it is both since I am getting breakouts both on my scalp and a few on my back. Do you have any product recs that would be similar to the aussie?
I would suggest trying to pinpoint whether it's the conditioner, the shampoo, or both that is making you break out.

Then, maybe wash your face with an acne wash after you rinse out the conditioner to get rid of any residue on your face that could be causing your breakouts. I would also suggest keeping your hair off your face and using a different conditioner as a leave in while your skin heals.

ExpectoPatronum
July 8th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I don't know if it's similar to Aussie, but Herbal Essences has a lot of different lines of shampoo and conditioners which cover a variety of hair needs. My personal favorites have been long term relationship (supposedly for long hair) and hello hydration (for dry hair). I too have a problem with breaking out and neither of those have caused me any problems. Plus, hello hydration smells absolutely lovely.

goldloli
July 8th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Actually i just looked at the ingredients, both the shampoo and dish contain cones, fatty alcohols and oil... All of which can cause acne. The shampoo is an ALS based shampoo, possibly not removing stuff well also. Yeah I would just use another shampoo to clarify every few washes. Any basic non cone sls shampoo should clear build up of that kind, non sls... Erm malibu undo goo? sorry idk

goldloli
July 8th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I don't know if it's similar to Aussie, but Herbal Essences has a lot of different lines of shampoo and conditioners which cover a variety of hair needs. My personal favorites have been long term relationship (supposedly for long hair) and hello hydration (for dry hair). I too have a problem with breaking out and neither of those have caused me any problems. Plus, hello hydration smells absolutely lovely.
I was just about to say try herbal essences! I personally dont use it but many do, the reason for suggesting is because it has similar ingredients to what she's currently using but slightly wiser in formulation so that there's less potential for build up.

anitacs9101
July 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Is it making your face break out? Then I'd say just limit the use of the conditioner (the more likely culprit) on areas near your face, or even eliminate it completely from the scalp area. I usually don't use any conditioner on my scalp, or just the residual conditioner on my hands. Otherwise...wash your hair upside down maybe (to keep the product off of your skin)? Or in a bucket? Otherwise I'd say try to make sure it's the shampoo/conditioner that's making you break out (eliminate them, maybe one at a time, and see if your condition improves).

Good luck :)

amanda_the_tall
July 8th, 2013, 10:52 PM
aussie moist was bad to give me breakouts as well. personally i love loreal evercurl, although it's a few dollars more than the aussie. it's sulphate free but is very moisturizing. it hasn't broke me out yet, even with using conditioner near my scalp.

jacqueline101
July 9th, 2013, 02:26 AM
I'd try to find out which one or both that's causing it. Then I'd try to wash in away that it didn't land on my skin.

Siiri
July 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM
If you don't want to change the product, I recommend washing your hair upside down so the products don't get on your body and washing your face after you're done with the hair.

I wash my hair upside down mainly because to me it's much easier to shampoo the scalp properly this way. To minimize tangling I detangle my hair first in a normal upright position, then bend at the waist and detangle it upside down. While washing I keep my head bend the whole time so it doesn't get tangled (the hair is in the some position the whole time). After I've shampooed and applied conditioner, I put it up on top of my head with a claw clip (this keeps the hair in the same position) so I can stand up normally while I wait for the conditioner to "absorb". Then I rinse the conditioner out upside down and towel dry my hair, and detangle it, still upside down. After that I stand upright and detangle it once again.

patienceneeded
July 9th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Wash your face and neck with facial cleanser (I use Cetaphil) last thing before you finish your shower. I keep a bottle of Cetaphil face wash in the shower and at the very end of my shower, once everything else is done I pull my hair up and away (cheap claw clip, or acrylic stick) then use the Cetaphil to wash my face and neck. Done. Does great for preventing breakouts from leftover products at the end of the shower.

In2wishin
July 9th, 2013, 02:14 PM
If it causing your scalp and face/neck to break out, you may need to discontinue use and become a bit of a detective. Do you have a shampoo/conditioner that your skin likes? Compare those ingredients and you can immediately eliminate the ones that are in both brands, as well as everyday ingredients like sodium chloride. Many other of the ingredients are also used in things like lotions and deodorants so check other things you use that don't bother you

Recently there has been a lot of articles about certain preservatives that have been causing allergic type reactions in people to the point that a number of countries are looking to ban them. They are in both so I bolded them in the list. If you want to research, they are often abbreviated as MI and MCI

ETA: the only other ingredients that are in both are Ecklonia Radiata Extract (Australian Sea Kelp Extract), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil so, since you react to both the shampoo and conditioner it may be one of the five.

Shampoo:
Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Amino Methyl Propanol, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Distearate, Dimethicone, Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocamide MEA, Fragrance, Polyquaternium 10, Sodium Citrate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, PEG 7M, Trimethylolpropane Tricaprylate/Tricaprate, Citric Acid, Ecklonia Radiata Extract (Australian Sea Kelp Extract), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (Jojoba), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 4

Conditioner:
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Fragrance, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ecklonia Radiata Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice

kysgrl
July 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM
You are fantastic <3
If it causing your scalp and face/neck to break out, you may need to discontinue use and become a bit of a detective. Do you have a shampoo/conditioner that your skin likes? Compare those ingredients and you can immediately eliminate the ones that are in both brands, as well as everyday ingredients like sodium chloride. Many other of the ingredients are also used in things like lotions and deodorants so check other things you use that don't bother you

Recently there has been a lot of articles about certain preservatives that have been causing allergic type reactions in people to the point that a number of countries are looking to ban them. They are in both so I bolded them in the list. If you want to research, they are often abbreviated as MI and MCI

ETA: the only other ingredients that are in both are Ecklonia Radiata Extract (Australian Sea Kelp Extract), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil so, since you react to both the shampoo and conditioner it may be one of the five.

Shampoo:
Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Amino Methyl Propanol, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Distearate, Dimethicone, Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocamide MEA, Fragrance, Polyquaternium 10, Sodium Citrate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, PEG 7M, Trimethylolpropane Tricaprylate/Tricaprate, Citric Acid, Ecklonia Radiata Extract (Australian Sea Kelp Extract), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (Jojoba), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 4

Conditioner:
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Fragrance, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ecklonia Radiata Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice

In2wishin
July 9th, 2013, 09:47 PM
You are fantastic <3

Awww, you're sweet :o I hope you figure out what is going on.

kysgrl
July 9th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Me too. Its driving me nuts. I got 2 different shampoos and conditioners to try today. We shall see what happens.
Awww, you're sweet :o I hope you figure out what is going on.

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Me personally. I grinned and bared it. I wash my body before I wash the condition out and I didn't want to switch my conditioner so I got this http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-body-clear-body-spray/qxp309566?catid=182255 I sprayed it on after the shower and it helped.

lulana
July 10th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I have to use a special Shampoo for my eczema so i wash with a shampoo my hair prefers and then i wash my scalp only with the special Shampoo and apply my favorite condi to protect my lenght, then i rinse out thoroughly.
My Scalp and hair likes it that way :D

lole18
July 10th, 2013, 02:32 AM
When you're done conditioning\washing your body and what not wrap your hair in a towel then rewash the parts where you usually breakout with an acne cleanser then after styling your hair and getting dressed (while styling there's a 90% chance your hair's all over your face\neck) so after that just cleanse your face last :) it's a pretty long process but hey it's worth it since the products are working out for you! :) that's what i did before when i wanted to use up my conditioner (though it wasn't working greatly for me i just wasn't going to throw it out and i didn't want to get more acne)

Kaelee
July 11th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I just ran into this..my beloved Trader Joe's TTT conditioner, I think, was killing my scalp! Even the weight of my BRAID hurt my head. :( I think it was the horsetail (which contains silica) that did it. I had been using it for CO.

I just picked up some Aussie Moist for CO (I used to love Aussie products before I started experimenting, I used them for years with no problems). I'm going to keep the TTT around for occasional use but I'm not going to use it on my scalp at all, just my length. I LOVE what it does to my hair.