PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine HELP

NapoleonDM
August 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM
So, the next month we will have nothing but chlorinated water. Turning on the faucet smells more like bleach actually...

It is making my hair soo upset! I am scared to wash it.

What do I do?

The bf says we need to get a GREAT conditioner bc even HE notices (omg), but it feels so awful after taking a bath. More tangly.

Secondly how do you find out what type of water you have? Hard or Soft?
I think we have hard, bc of the calcium deposits on everything.

ps, I did a s&d, and that pretty much was a BAD idea. I hate myself for it. I did the twisting method. Why did I not stick to the tried and true way?! *cries* Hair is sticking out all over now and the chlorine is NOT helping (or is it the chlorinated hard water?).

NapoleonDM
August 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Also, what type of water does Costa Rica have? (I don't live there, just curious)

ladyshannonanne
August 31st, 2008, 01:17 AM
Can you get one of those water filters for hard water? I think they remove chlorine pretty well.

Chlorine does a beating on my hair and my skin. They just chlorinated our water here in Tustin, CA, and my skin has been itchy for the last three days. I'm just tying my hair up and pretending I like it. Hee hee.

Anje
August 31st, 2008, 07:19 AM
I've always had chlorinated water, it's not really that bad when you're used to it. Most municipal water is, in my experience. Or is something happening where you live that makes the city have to super-chlorinate the water for some reason?

Why don't you try doing a final rinse of your hair with distilled, bottled, or at least charcoal-filtered (think Brita or Pur) water? That should at least cut the chlorine that stays on your hair.

If you live in a city that treats its water, they should be required to put out reports at least once or twice a year to tell you the results of their water analysis. You might be able to request those, and compare the hardness to values that you see online. Another option, if you're willing to put up with a sales pitch, is to call a water treatment company like Culligan, which will send someone out to test your water and attempt to demonstrate how much more wonderful your life will be if only you buy their top-of-the-line system. But they will tell you how hard it is. You probably do have hard water if you get calcium deposits and soap scum. If your glass dishes get a bit white, it's almost certainly hard.

NapoleonDM
August 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I've always had chlorinated water, it's not really that bad when you're used to it. Most municipal water is, in my experience. Or is something happening where you live that makes the city have to super-chlorinate the water for some reason?

Why don't you try doing a final rinse of your hair with distilled, bottled, or at least charcoal-filtered (think Brita or Pur) water? That should at least cut the chlorine that stays on your hair.

If you live in a city that treats its water, they should be required to put out reports at least once or twice a year to tell you the results of their water analysis. You might be able to request those, and compare the hardness to values that you see online. Another option, if you're willing to put up with a sales pitch, is to call a water treatment company like Culligan, which will send someone out to test your water and attempt to demonstrate how much more wonderful your life will be if only you buy their top-of-the-line system. But they will tell you how hard it is. You probably do have hard water if you get calcium deposits and soap scum. If your glass dishes get a bit white, it's almost certainly hard.

I think we always have a little chlorine (or was that fluoride I am thinking of?) but something like 1 (maybe 2) times a year we have this where they do a mega-dose of chlorine.
It was in the news paper apparently.

I'm not sure why they do it? To clean the water and pipes (like from organisms?), or prevent build up of the minerals on the pipes??

I could try the final rinse with brita water, that would probly help remove chlorine at least some of it.

Can you get one of those water filters for hard water? I think they remove chlorine pretty well.

Chlorine does a beating on my hair and my skin. They just chlorinated our water here in Tustin, CA, and my skin has been itchy for the last three days. I'm just tying my hair up and pretending I like it. Hee hee.

I hear you. My skin from washing my hands feels like WINTER skin, dry and itchy!

How much the filters that remove chlorine and hard water? (anyone know any cheaper ones that will work?! How ofter do I have to change them? Gah, I just payed for all my classes, so money is tight) I think my hair would love that. I really want something to remove the darn hard water in the long run soo much! Can't minerals add buildup? And break hair? Or make it ashy looking?

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Chlorine evaporates out in a few hours, so you could draw a jug/bucket of water and sit it aside in the morning, use it in the afternoon to wash your hair.

danacc
September 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Vitamin C breaks down chlorine in warm water. You could try a diluted citric acid rinse as the last rinse for hair and skin.

Kirin
September 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
All U.S. Cities have chlorinated water, as well as Flouride if its coming from a public water source. Chlorine is used (in minor doses) to kill bacteria in the water..... i'd rather have it, than not.

The above suggestion is correct, chlorine evaporates when left standing. Fill a pan with water overnight to rinse your hair in the next day.