PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn dandruff - any suggestions?

DancingQueen
July 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Hi guys.

I just made a long post, which my ipad deleted, so I am kind of pissed off right now. :angry:

Anyways, a friend of mine have been having problems with dandruff for a few years now. He tried several different shampoos and treatments, especially made for dandruff, but it always seem to come back after a while. He have thick, short hair (2-3 inches), and use shampoo every other day, I think. No conditioner, as far as I know.

I suggested coconut oil, as it should be anti-bacterial, do you guys think it would work? Do you have any other ideas? I think he would prefer shampoo-brands, as he is 18 years old, and doesn't want to spend hours on his hair every day, but any other ideas will be appreciated. I really hope someone can help him, thank you in advance. :)

melusine963
July 8th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Has he been to see a doctor about it? I had what I thought was dandruff for years, but nothing fixed it until I got an actual prescription shampoo.

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I agree if it's been that long I'd try going to a doctor.

Firefox7275
July 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Hi guys.

I just made a long post, which my ipad deleted, so I am kind of pissed off right now. :angry:

Anyways, a friend of mine have been having problems with dandruff for a few years now. He tried several different shampoos and treatments, especially made for dandruff, but it always seem to come back after a while. He have thick, short hair (2-3 inches), and use shampoo every other day, I think. No conditioner, as far as I know.

I suggested coconut oil, as it should be anti-bacterial, do you guys think it would work? Do you have any other ideas? I think he would prefer shampoo-brands, as he is 18 years old, and doesn't want to spend hours on his hair every day, but any other ideas will be appreciated. I really hope someone can help him, thank you in advance. :)

It's worth running an advanced search, this comes up regularly. Dandruff is really a layman's term not a diagnosis, what has your friend been diagnosed with? It's very easy to worsen a dermatological compliant by self treating an incorrect self diagnosis. The most common cause of dandruff is seborrhoeic dermatitis which is linked with the malassezia yeast not bacteria, however there are a number of other possible causes of a flaky scalp. Do let your friend know that that no form of dermatitis is curable, successful treatment is ongoing management of contributory factors.

Whilst he is awaiting an appointment suggest he makes over his diet to be as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible, also switches to a super gentle sulphate free shampoo at pH 4.5 to 5.5. Sulphates and alkaline soaps thin and dehydrate the skin barrier, destroy the protective acid mantle.

NoRush
July 8th, 2013, 10:37 AM
3rd. on the doctor. It could be anything from simple dandruff to a food intolerance symptom, he needs to get a diagnosis otherwise we'd just be shooting in the dark.

ravenreed
July 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Ditto on the doctor vote. Self-treating can make things worse. That said, I used to think I had dandruff. However, when I switched to CO and started doing an ACV rinse, my symptoms went away completely. I think the shampoo was drying my scalp out. Now if I need to use an SLS shampoo to remove buildup I do so only from the ears down.

DancingQueen
July 11th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Sorry for the late response - I have been on vacation, and only just got home (internet was a bit expensive to buy every day). He have already seen a doctor, who said it is just normal dandruff, and gave min something to treat it with. He doesn't think it helped, though.

emmyliten
July 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
My SO has a dry itchy scalp, and he is helped greatly with the occasional ACV-rinse.

emmyliten
July 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM
My SO has a dry itchy scalp, and he is helped greatly with the occasional ACV-rinse.

Firefox7275
July 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry for the late response - I have been on vacation, and only just got home (internet was a bit expensive to buy every day). He have already seen a doctor, who said it is just normal dandruff, and gave min something to treat it with. He doesn't think it helped, though.

Can you have him clarify with the doctor what is meant by 'normal dandruff'? It may be the doctor means mild seborrhoeic dermatitis, dandruff is a lay term not a medical diagnosis. What was the prescription and did he use it exactly as per the instructions, frequency and time sat on the scalp? I am only aware of two sulphate free shampoos that may be of use in SD, Neutrogena T-Sal and Regenepure.

kitemera15
July 13th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I've found that switching to a shampoo containing tea tree oil can help manage dandruff. I like to look for organic brands with few ingredients, or few harsh ingredients, to minimize the potential for scalp irritation.

Etna
July 13th, 2013, 03:04 AM
As far as medical advice goes, I have just seen a doctor about dandruff and he actually gave me a list of things to try before needing a referral to a dermatologist.

One at a time of course to see if each one will make a difference.

-Miconazole cream
-Shampoo with selenium sulfide
-Salicylic acid
-Coal tar

I'm currently trying out the miconazole cream.

SleepyTangles
July 13th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Every scalp is different. I have a pretty stubborn dandruff since puberty, shampoos advised by doctors worked so and so. Until I switched to sles free shampoo and it got really really better: plus, every time I use sles to clarify, I get an immediate itch all over my scalp, so I definitively suspect that was part of the main problem :o.
Henna and AcV rinses helped a lot, too!

My two cents is to try milder and milder products, and see how it works, then see a doctor.

Barefoot
July 13th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I had both, sebhorraic dermatitis and psoriasis in my hair. It was cleared up using a mild cortisone lotion (applied sparingly every day until it cleared) now maintained using moogoo eczema and psoriasis balm and moogoo shampoo and conditioner.
I recently tried another shampoo, wanting to save a bit of money, but it came back straight away.
Google moogoo, they have a fabulous range. Including soap free bubble bath now. :)

Etna
July 13th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I had both, sebhorraic dermatitis and psoriasis in my hair. It was cleared up using a mild cortisone lotion (applied sparingly every day until it cleared) now maintained using moogoo eczema and psoriasis balm and moogoo shampoo and conditioner.
I recently tried another shampoo, wanting to save a bit of money, but it came back straight away.
Google moogoo, they have a fabulous range. Including soap free bubble bath now. :)

My cousin actually mentioned last year that she had cleared some scalp problems up with MooGoo shampoo and I had completely forgotten about it. Thank-you for the recommendation and reminder Barefoot. I think I may try it. Maybe it can help the OP too.

Firefox7275
July 13th, 2013, 08:28 AM
As far as medical advice goes, I have just seen a doctor about dandruff and he actually gave me a list of things to try before needing a referral to a dermatologist.

One at a time of course to see if each one will make a difference.

-Miconazole cream
-Shampoo with selenium sulfide
-Salicylic acid
-Coal tar

I'm currently trying out the miconazole cream.

Sounds like your family doctor has diagnosed seborrhoeic dermatitis - if so it's very common and rarely needs a dermatologist referral, that is almost never done here in the UK, it's common practice for a community general practitioner to diagnose.

casam
July 13th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I used to have dandruff on and off until I was 17. My grandmother suggested that I use Neem juice with few drops of lemon. I used it twice in a week by applying it on the scalp an hour ago before washing the hair. Yes, ONLY two times in total. Boom! it is gone. COMPLETELY. And till this day it has never come back. For the past 10 years I am enjoying a dandruff free hair.

Once on a trip (4 years ago) I had to share a comb with a girl who had heavy dandruff. I did get dandruff in a week but I applied some lemon juice with aloevera flesh, 1 hour before washing my hair. It never came back to this day.

Your friend can try these things I hope. If it doesn't work at least no harm will be done to his scalp.

He can apply, watch TV or read for a hour and then go wash his hair with some mild shampoo.