PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone for a big chop AFTER growing long?

NymphSpirit
July 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I have been considering cutting my hair short (like Jena Malone as Rocket) for a month and a half. At first I thought it was just a phase but now not only I'd love to have short hair but I also don't feel like growing my hair any longer would give me any kind of satisfaction. It's annoying. I haven't cut/trimmed my hair in three years because I wanted to be like Éowyn and now that I've reached hip I don't even care. I am scared I'll chop it and start caring again right afterwards though, one doesn't grow out a pixie in a day! (or a year for that matter...)

In other views, cutting my hair short would be great if I decide to grow it out again. Starting over. No old chemical damage, no poo from the beginning, all virgin and beautiful. But what if my wurls start growing upwards and I end up looking like a crazy human square? :shake: I can see that happening...

Arrghh! Currently I'm SO sure I want it short, but what if as soon as I cut it I want it long again? :brains:

(And I'm also scared as shct to have anything sharp close to my hair, it's been 3 years! It's only natural, isn't it..?)

Islandgrrl
July 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I went from knee to tailbone, then from tailbone to a pixie all in about two weeks. I LOVED it for a couple of years. Then I started missing my hair. So I'm back to about fingertip.

The thing about hair is that it grows back. And it should make you happy.

McFearless
July 7th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Do it! You've thought about it for long enough to weigh the pros and cons. I shaved my head and enjoyed it very much. I'm growing it back out but without the obsessive attitude I had the last time. I think that is somewhat common among the members who cut and start fresh.

AuroraRory
July 7th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I certainly went for a big chop after growing my hair for years about 4-5 years ago because long hair is difficult to manage and frankly, I just had it long for so many years that by that point I wanted a change! I personally did regret it not too soon afterwards, and especially now when I want it super long again! It's taking a while but I'm getting there again :) I don't know, if I were you I'd maybe change up my style a little bit because maybe what you want is just a change or it's a phase of wanting something different, y'know? Don't chop it all off at once, maybe do it gradually and see how you feel/whether you like it. You seem to have a second thoughts about this and I wouldn't do anything too drastic until you're 100% sure.

icallitbliss
July 7th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I say do it! You only live once. I love short hair, and most people actually can pull it off with the right cut/style. And I'd also rather have healthy short hair than damaged long hair, for sure. Short hair is sooooo easy to take care of and most of the time you don't even think about it. But if you have long hair and then short hair, then you'll know which one you prefer and to stick to. I say do it and have fun.

jeanniet
July 7th, 2013, 10:58 PM
My hair was just about BCL and I cut back to hip, then waist, then BSL, and now it's about APL dry. Friday I'm getting it cut another few inches so it'll be a little below SL. I don't regret cutting it at all. I wanted something different, wanted to bring out the curls, and most of all, I didn't want to always have to wait hours and hours for it to dry. I've never been one to have qualms over cutting my hair, though. I can always grow it back if I want to, and for me half the fun of long hair is growing it.

neko_kawaii
July 8th, 2013, 12:34 AM
I've cut my hair from +/- waist length a few times in my life. The only time I ever regretted it was when I cut it not because I wanted a short hair style but because I thought shorter would be easier to care for. Turned out for me braidable hair is easier to care for.

If you are still hankering for that style after sleeping on the idea for a few weeks, go for it!

Eolan
July 8th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Double post, sorry!

Eolan
July 8th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I recently had a big chop. Went from below BSL to APL, then from APL to a pixie. I had thought about it for YEARS. I loved it at first, now not so much, but that has more to do with my hair not being itself due to my pregnancy then the haircut itself.

I've had short hair many, many times. All types of styles and colours and whatnot.

Having short hair can be very freeing. For some it's easy to style and manage, for some not so much. I can't say how it will be for you.

IF you decide you want to go short, here are a few tips:

Think about this: Do you want a change in your life, do you want to change yourself or do you just want a new haircut? Having your hair cut will not change your life, or you. You will still be you, the only difference about you will be your hairstyle.

You need a stylist that is excellent at cutting short hair. Don't opt for just "good" you really want an excellent stylist. Do your research.

Be aware of the fact that your hair or face shape may not be suited for the hairstyle you would like to have. You will not look like the person that has your desired hairstyle, you will look like you, but with short hair. It is a good thing to have a more general approach to the hairstyle you want, rather then to come in with one picture and go: "I want to look EXACTLY like that." Because it won't happen. This might sound obvious, but it's easy to look at pictures and get swept away.

What ever you decide to do, good luck.
(And say hi to Buenos Aires from me, haven't seen the city in ten years and still miss it from time to time.)

clioariane
July 8th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Don't do it unless you're 100% sure!

ladyfey
July 8th, 2013, 04:29 AM
I went from knee to shoulders to get rid of dye damage. Loved it and swore I would never wear it long again. More bad hairdresser experience, stopped going and here I am at lower calf length! I say go for it, you really can always grow it again.

Mesmerise
July 8th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I say, do it! I've had a couple of pixies in my adult life, and have grown it back to waistish again. I'm currently in a short phase (cutting out the dye and starting over), and when the dye is all gone, I'm probably going to start growing right away (but with virgin un-heatdamaged hair!!).

Yes, it can happen that you regret it and don't like it. That's life. But again, it's only a phase that doesn't last forever!

Mya
July 8th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Why don't you wear a wig with your desired hairstyle first? So you can verify if you want to have short hair or if you just want to see yourself with short hair.

lapushka
July 8th, 2013, 06:29 AM
If you get the urge to cut out of the blue like that, chances are your hair is getting a tad too long for your liking. Start by trimming just a few inches off, see how you like that. Just a few inches can make *a* *lot* of difference. Then see how you go. Do this before deciding to chop it all off. You have nothing to lose by doing it this way. On the contrary!

Bene
July 8th, 2013, 06:34 AM
In November, I went from tailbone to shorter than nape. I plan on growing it back though. I just wanted to see if I could do it again, without depending on blowdryers and flatirons to get me through the awkward frizzy stages. I don't regret the cut even though I still can't manage a ponytail without clips, but I am looking forward being able to use hairsticks again. It'll be a few years though.

I will admit that longer hair is much much easier to deal with.

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I did it years before lhc mid back to a short shag.

CurlyCap
July 8th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Make sure it's something you really want to do and not just an impulse.

Make sure you really understand how long it will take to grow back.

Make sure you really understand how DIFFERENT short hair will be and how your hair styling options will change.

Then, if you are still hyped about cutting it, cut it! Hair grows back and you should enjoy your hair every minute that you can.

ETA: Chopped from BCL stretched to pixie almost 3 years ago. Thought about it for TWO YEARS before I did it, even buying wigs to see if I liked the look before hand. But in the end I really wanted it and did it and I've never regretted the decision.

Dvips
July 9th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I went from classic to chin-length a few years back. No regrets for me! However, I am growing it back out, mostly so I can wear all of my beautiful hairtoys. ;)

Since you are nervous about the cut, is there anyone who has similar hair to yours whose hair cut you like? Perhaps a friend can guide you to a sylist you'd like.

Also, consider this... if you do cut it and then regret it, is it something you can live with? I have reached that wonderful time in my life (in my 40's) where I do not really care too much what I look like, so I was able to cut with no fears.

Gurlytomboy
July 9th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I've cut my hair from hip to chin length twice. No regrets for the most part, but sometimes someone will say something or you will just long for the thing you don't have now. So there will be bouts of regret. But for the most part, at least for the first couple of months you'll be exhilarated by the change :)
Plus, I'm back to waist length again, so as always...hair grows back as long as you take care of it...Do what makes you happy ...:)

Arielle8960
July 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM
When I joined LHC I was dedicated to growing to BSL. I got there, but then I got quite ill for a number of months and my hair was thin, scraggly, and just made me sad. I asked my BF to cut it shorter and ended up at shoulder. (I was totally willing to lose a lot of length, but it was still a shock! He did a great job though.) I didn't much care for that length, so soon afterwards it turned into a chin-length bob and I was in love with it. My curls looked awesome, it was very flattering, and I had a lot of fun with it for about a year.

Then I decided to grow back out because I missed my hairtoys and braids and fun styles. Whereas I was happy with the chin-length bob, within about 7-8 months I was back to that shoulder-length cut I hated the first time around. And a year and a half after the chop to chin, I'm just creeping back to APL (did I mention all the curls?). The upshot is that since my hair is healthier, I enjoy it more and absolutely do not regret cutting. The problem is I seem to prefer pretty short or pretty long but not in between, and there's no way to deal with that except to always have short. I'm sticking with it this time and heading back to BSL and then to waist. And going on a hairtoy spree...

AliD
July 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM
If you get the urge to cut out of the blue like that, chances are your hair is getting a tad too long for your liking. Start by trimming just a few inches off, see how you like that. Just a few inches can make *a* *lot* of difference. Then see how you go. Do this before deciding to chop it all off. You have nothing to lose by doing it this way. On the contrary!

I agree, this is the best idea when you want a chop

Dandelion6
July 9th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Why don't you wear a wig with your desired hairstyle first? So you can verify if you want to have short hair or if you just want to see yourself with short hair.

I second this idea. Recently I was considering bangs and wouldn't even contemplate that cut until I tried clip in bangs. Well, guess what? I never got around to buying those clip in bangs and got over my urge to cut. I realized I just wanted chin length face framing pieces. (still want the clip in bangs though, lol:p)

Also, I will say that in my adult life I only cut to pixie once and it was such a struggle to get it all back to bob that I said never again. Since then it's always been just off shoulder to bsl up until growing in the lhc way.

chenille
July 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I hit my goal of tailbone around May this year. And it was driving me crazy! I didn't think it looked particularly good, and it took a lot of time to take care of, and all that. So, in June I did a chop, and it's between shoulder and BSL right now.

I don't regret the chop, but on the other hand I intend to grow it out again. I think my ideal length might be waist. I get annoyed with my current length because I like to twist it up into a quick bun to keep it off my neck, and I didn't realize how much of a habit that was until I couldn't do it anymore. But it's as others have said...the nice thing about a haircut is it's not permanent. A little patience and I'll be back where I want to be.

frodolaughs
July 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
My hair history, 1993-present--waist cut to chin, waist, pixie(1997-2001), waist, chin (2006), waist, hip, fingertip... haircuts are fast and growing is slow. Change can be fun. Do what you want. I both enjoyed and regretted my short hair.

dulce
July 9th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I cut from hip length to a pixie in my mid 30's to end 30's?[many years ago],hated the pixie!!My curly unruly hair and a pixie do not match well.Never ever again will I do that.

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I've cut from tailbone to nearly BSL. It was shorter then what I wanted. I told the hair stylist to just cut the split ends out and she took more then I thought. I think I regret it more now then I did then several years ago because now I would be at my goal length. It's really what ever makes you happy. I know when I got longer then what I was use to I kept finding it weird having my hair smack me in the butt in the shower.

MaryO
July 10th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Since I can remember I have started growing my hair out the day after I cut it, so for my it's not even a question. Luckily it always grows back! :-)

nobeltonya
July 10th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Sometimes I have this fleeting thought [a very small one] that I might want to cut back to like waist or hips.. then I shake it off and don't think about it again. It probably does get boring having the same old hair.. but if you do cut it off, especially a significant amount of it, you can't just grow it back instantly.. try new updos or something.. braids. There are so many neat things to do with long hair.. the most I've cut off at once since I started growing [Aug 2006] was 1" about a month ago.. I dust the ends every 2-3 weeks, but that's it. I'm at the point where I'm just leaving it alone and letting it grow.. as it grows, I get used to the length and figure out how to manage it. When it gets to the point that I can no longer do my normal routines and things with it, I might cut it back to classic.. until then, on to fingertips [and possibly knee..]. :) :disco:

Jenny31557
July 10th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I cut my hair from about hip to shoulder a few years ago and I didn't really like it. I let it grow to around BSL and kept it there for a while and loved it. I want to let it grow longer now. :)

MermaidMane
July 15th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Ahhh yes... My hair had grown to about waist-length 6 years ago and I cut it to a chin length bob. I didn't regret cutting it at first, but after my hair got to the "flip length" it was horrible! It wasn't cute and short nor was it even long enough to put in a pony tail. Until recently I wasn't able to grow my hair past armpit length because I was always going to get it recut to make it look nice. If I were you I would first cut it to mid-back length and keep it for a few months, then see if you still want it shorter. In my opinion short hair is good, long hair is great, medium hair is icky.

Eireann
July 16th, 2013, 06:36 AM
In the past, I would chop every few years. My last pixie cut was in 2001, and I've been growing it out more or less since then (with a couple of stop overs at shoulder and APL). I'm at tailbone length and I'm seriously considering shoulder length bob. I have a bunch of new growth after a massive shed, and I have a pretty sizeable chunk of hair that is at shoulder length right now. I used to have the "it grows back" attitude, but it does really take a long time. The upside of a pixie is that it's super cute. The down side is that if you do decide to grow it out, there's about a year of awkwardness before it settles into a manageable style. The other downside of a pixie cut is that you have to get it cut very frequently to maintain it. Good luck!

Ranee
July 16th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I had it cut from tailbone lenght to BSL last year and am still happy with it. There is always the risc of regretting the chop, but i rather regret the things i did do, than the things i didn't do.

Surinecet
July 16th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I went from almost waist to shoulder in February. In one sense I am glad I did it. I had been thinking about it for a long time, and have always wanted to try that length. But I also found out I despised it, especially as what I wanted didn't work well with my hair type. So I really miss my length too. But this way I do get to start over fresher, as I was drying/flat ironing/curling that waist length. In short, my philosophy has always been to go for it, but be willing to accept the consequences if it doesn't turn out like I dream it will.

In short, this:

i rather regret the things i did do, than the things i didn't do.

going gray
July 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I cut from hip length to a pixie in my mid 30's to end 30's?[many years ago],hated the pixie!!My curly unruly hair and a pixie do not match well.Never ever again will I do that.

Yes, I've done the same thing, about 8 times, back & forth I go. Get it to my goal & then chop it all off. Now I get, that pixie cut just isn't me. My avatar photo is, going for BSL.

Be REALLY sure you want that short style. Good luck with your decision.

Beborani
July 16th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Gone from hip to to chin twice in my 20s, 30s but both times growing was unconscious (neglect) and cut was a conscious choice to spruce myself up. This is the first time I am growing carefully in adult life.

Skade
July 16th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I have also done it a couple of times. Once from tailbone to chin. The important thing is just to think about it for a while and don't just act on impulse. (At least for me) But it seems like you have thought about it and still want it, so go for it if it feels right. Sometimes you need a change and it takes some courage.

Tabitha
July 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I chopped from waist+ to shoulder a year ago, shed a few tears in the stylist's chair, but have never looked back. It's one of the best things I've done. So much easier to look after, to wash, to keep tangle-free. And I've had so many genuine, spontaneous compliments about how it looks.

I chose the stylist very carefully on recommendations, and he talked to me about my body proportions and showed me in a full-length mirror the effect that was achieved at different lengths. He said my hair either needed to be at tailbone, or above shoulderblade for best effect - and no way was I prepared for the work involved in growing to tailbone and looking after it.

I can still just about use forks and Ficcares in a sort of French twisty things, but my lovely hairsticks need a lot of support in the way of elastic and extra pins to maintain the do, with the stick just being a decoration. I've weeded out a lot, but still have far too many that I'm keeping just because they're beautiful.

Khiwanean
July 16th, 2013, 03:12 PM
You've thought about it long enough. Go ahead and do it! If it's the possiblity that your hair won't behave at that length that's keeping you from it, you could always cut in stages. That way, you'll get an idea of how your hair will behave before losing all of your length.

SimplySmile
March 8th, 2019, 02:13 PM
I realize this thread is old but I REGRET everything.

I had TBL hair which took me 4.5 years to grow from a chin length inverted bob. I got "bored" last October 2018 and decided to do the ombre. It damaged my ends that that took so long to grow. And of course I got the ombre done all the way up to BSL.. So I finally decided to just make the big chop and cut off all the blonde ombre. It was a big shock. I am glad I got rid of the damage but I miss my long hair so badly. I regretted it the day after. I let my sister and cousin (who cut my hair) talk me into needing a change.

The best advice I can give anyone reading this thread who is debating cutting their hair. Don't do it for anyone else, only do it for yourself. The reason I colored my hair the ombre was because my family was teasing me saying I should make a change. I thought coloring it would be enough of a change.. I wish I could teleport back and say stop don't do any of it.

Sorry if I sound bitter but I am just still grieving the loss of 15 inches of hair. But now I am doing everything in my power to grow it back longer and better then before.

2 months down - Forever to go.

wendysandison
March 8th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I think that you should do it, for sure! But before going right to a pixie, you should try a lob, then a layered bob, then the pixie if you're still wanting that. The best thing about your situation is that you're already making the changes for healthy, long hair (no poo, no heat is also HIGHLY recommended!). So if you cut it and decide you want it long again, the new long hair will be way prettier (softer, shinier) than your hair now. It's empowering to take charge of your hair, go for it!

frostedeyes
March 8th, 2019, 02:32 PM
I went from hip length hair to collar bone length and I immediately regretted it, and have been growing it out ever since.

Gem
March 8th, 2019, 07:46 PM
A few years ago I went from TBL to pixie in one chop. The lady at the salon looked like she was going to throw up from anxiety and asked me several times to make sure I was okay with it.
I loved having a pixie for several years, then I was over it.

Groovy Granny
March 8th, 2019, 08:01 PM
I went from Hip to Chin...when a stylist ruined my hair with a coloring gone bad :steam:

It was green and fried and breaking off; another salon had to cut off the damaged length.

I was turning 50 and hadn't seen virgin hair in 20 years, so they turned me back to my natural color at my request.

My family was shocked seeing me go from light blonde to light brown and many refused to believe it was ME...until the silver grew in :lol:

I was actually elated at being 'me' again for the 'big 5*0, and never looked back.

My hair was kept short considering I was silvering and heading to 60, but at 61 I said screw it and grew it long again :rockerdud

Wavykate
March 9th, 2019, 01:56 AM
I recently cut to chin after growing for a few years and got to waist length. I was in a bit of a post partum funk and thought a new look would make me feel better and it did... for about 5 minutes!

This was 6 months ago, I’m now growing again I’m shoulder length and full of regret. But my hair has never been in such amazing condition, all my new hair has no heat damage or dye (where as the ends of my hair before did have some damage from years before) so there is the up side!

Also my hair grows much faster now, since being pregnant and taking my vitamins. Also my lifestyle is much healthier now, no late nights drinking, no smoking (oops), I think this really helps as my hair used to grow soooo slow!!

Cg
March 9th, 2019, 09:41 AM
I have gone from nearly knee to pixie several times. I never regretted it bc I cut only due to headaches and the chop always fixed that issue.

One great benefit to being old is that nobody cares much so I revel in my old lady buns and pretty hair toys. I don't plan to go shorter.

amiraaah
March 9th, 2019, 02:49 PM
I always chop my hair to APL when it reaches waist+ because my hair was abused with heat for so many years so it’s damaged. My hair grows from APL to waist in 6 months which is a llttle time That’s why i never get impatient with it in that stage.

EmeraldSkies
March 9th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Yes, i have cut my hair from BSL to SL before joining LHC. My hair at that point is dry, frizzy, unmanageable and shedding a lot. The big chop was to get my hair to a length that is more manageable while i figure out how to reduce my hair fall. I have finally joined LHC and decided to grow my hair out after figuring out what's wrong with my hair.

shutterpillar
March 9th, 2019, 06:44 PM
I went from hip to CBL, then decided I was done with the henna so I just buzzed it all off. It was a great experience... very freeing, but I probably wont do it ever again. ;)

TheLuckyLurker
March 9th, 2019, 07:00 PM
After growing from pixie to almost tailbone I chopped to apl, then shoulder. I'm now growing back to apl, because I miss being able to put my hair in a lazy wrap bun, which used to be my go-to updo.

Aeonian
March 10th, 2019, 03:12 AM
Hmm, as a scissorhappy person who loves long and short hair I would recommend that you should try different lengths. I don't know your current length but I guess it's very long if you haven't cut if for three years. Go from hip to midback, from midback to APL, from APL to SL etc. See what length you like, even for a short time. Like a reverse growing out lol.
It's very easy to go pixie but growing out is difficult especially for wurlies and curlies. Set a date and make your decision, and do what feels good for you! Good luck and please keep us informed!

Brittny
April 7th, 2023, 05:04 PM
Reviving this thread! I just cut my hair from calf length to mid-back length at the hairdresser today. I'm not sure how I feel about it since I've not had short hair since I was a teen. I grew out my bleached hair and chopped it all off to what I have now. While my hair definitely feels fuller and healthier, I'm still feeling at loss over the sudden change! :flower:

SandyBottom
April 7th, 2023, 05:43 PM
Wow, that's a big change all at once! Now that the bleached part is gone, do you think you'll grow back out? I hope you find your comfort zone with the new length.

Shorty89
April 7th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Reviving this thread! I just cut my hair from calf length to mid-back length at the hairdresser today. I'm not sure how I feel about it since I've not had short hair since I was a teen. I grew out my bleached hair and chopped it all off to what I have now. While my hair definitely feels fuller and healthier, I'm still feeling at loss over the sudden change! :flower:

That's a huge change. I don't think I could cut off that much in one go. But, I'm sure it's much healthier.

angel-baby
April 7th, 2023, 08:40 PM
Ive done so a few times, usually while in a bad mental state. Once or twice Ive gone to a hairdresser for the cut after thinking about it for a few weeks, but I usually do it impulsively. This has been a pattern since childhood, and it's one I'm working to undo. As an adult, I've cut from tailbone to waist, from hip to APL, from tailbone to waist again, from waist to death hawk (hairdresser), and from BSL to chin (hairdresser). My goal is always classic length, and I have never once achieved it...which is why Im here at LHC!!

cookies
April 8th, 2023, 06:52 AM
I've barely gotten to MBL with the goal of hip/TBL, but I do intend to chop it off back to SL when I get there.
I'm pretty sure my hair would look great long and I've never had it past MBL as an adult, which is why I'm growing it now. However, I've also not had natural hair as an adult, so I'm growing bleach and henna out now too. The bleach-free part is already at APL I think and I'll just trim it out as needed, but the last henna was six months ago, so that will take awhile. My plan is to grow the natural to SL, by which point the rest would be at hip/TBL, and then chop to all natural. I chose SL because I love that length on me.

Bangs is another big change that I'm contemplating, so I'm thinking I'll wait until the natural part is long enough for bangs - then if I decide I'm not a fan and want to grow them out, I wouldn't need an additional chop to get rid of them.

There's no way of knowing now whether or not I'll want to grow long again after that, but I doubt I'd regret chopping it off either way - I'm not one to regret decisions I've already made.

rosenester
April 8th, 2023, 08:44 AM

Congrats! I am taking the slow road to cutting out bleach 1” at a time while maintaining around WL. It must feel amazing! :flowers:

Bri-Chan
April 8th, 2023, 10:15 AM
Several times actually, to WL/HL to SL/APL.

spidermom
April 8th, 2023, 02:11 PM
Yes. I went from just past classic length and blunt to waist length and layered 11 years ago. A photo from just before that haircut came up on my Facebook feed this morning. I'd almost forgotten I had grown it out that long. I cut back periodically until I reached shoulder length, at which point I decided I didn't like that and wanted long hair again. Right now I'm at waist length and blunt.
https://i.imgur.com/SjBk91g.jpg?2https://i.imgur.com/JU9TPod.jpg?2
longest 11 years ago .................................................. .. now
I couldn't find a photo of when it was shoulder length.

Stray_mind
April 10th, 2023, 01:36 AM
I was at a hip length and chopped it all off to above my chin. It was a big change, but i didn't regret it. Hair grows back.

battles
April 11th, 2023, 01:59 PM
I went from waist to jaw length back in September and I wish I hadn't. I was happy with it for about 6 months, but it'll take much longer to get back to that length.

Ylva
April 11th, 2023, 02:14 PM

One, thanks for reviving the thread, and two, wow, now THAT is a big chop! Enjoy the shorter hair!

I'm very certain that I will be doing quite a big cut soon, as I've mentioned many times around the forums. I'll be going from past mid-thigh to hip. And hip, on me, is a relatively short length, as I am high-hipped. It's close to waist-length. I've consistently felt like wanting to cut for all of this year and I think about it like every day, just looking forward to having much more easy-going hair that is 90% natural. I hope I will feel more at ease with my identity then, too.

Dark40
April 11th, 2023, 03:48 PM
Yes, I have! When I was 13 years old my hair was 2 oe 3 inches above hip length. I guess you can say that it was waist length, and my step-mother brought me to a salon where she got her hair cut, and she made me also get a hair cut, and I had really regretted it as well! But soon after that big chop or hair cut I hurridly made my hair started into grow back again.

purple_omelette
April 24th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Yup multiple times :) I had hip length hair when I was 12 and cut to a shaggy bob. Then again in 2021, I cut back from classic to waist. I always feel better with long hair though!

KokoroDragon
April 24th, 2023, 10:52 AM
In high school I cut from waist to pixie. Before that, in middle school, from hip to shoulder to pixie. I always end up growing my hair back out though, I just feel best with long hair.

TiffPhares
July 2nd, 2023, 05:47 PM
I just recently did this a few months ago I was between Hip and Tailbone but cut back to Shoulder due to damage from henna overload. I originally enjoyed the change, but now I am missing the length. I knew when I cut that I would have regrets but it feels so much healthier and it looks so much better that I feel like it is worth it long-term.

angel-baby
July 2nd, 2023, 07:21 PM
I was feeling discouraged about my length today so I read through this whole thread again. I'm so glad I did. There are so many of us who have successfully grown long multiple times! So glad to be part of this community.

melesine
July 2nd, 2023, 09:39 PM
The last time I did a major chop it was hip length to collarbone. Now I’ve been doing smaller cuts and I’m mid back or so, or bra strap length and I’m seriously considering somewhere between chin and shoulder length. I just want a change.

Greengable
July 3rd, 2023, 05:28 AM
I had BSL before the lockdown and shaved my head. I got a cold 🤣

floridaorchid
July 3rd, 2023, 07:51 PM
I had hip length and chopped to collar bone length a few years ago.
I regret it all the time, but the henna just wouldn't leave.

Aunt Rapunzel
July 3rd, 2023, 09:38 PM
I had tailbone-length hair, and had it cut to donate. It was *supposed to* be cut to just below my shoulders, but the stylist was unfamiliar with cutting wavy hair, and cut it wet - but didn't take shrinkage into account. When my hair dried, I had gone from tailbone-length to a chin-length bob. :agape:

I'm back to tailbone-length, though. :smile:

cadaverinna
July 3rd, 2023, 10:10 PM
I could NEVER!! If I'm gonna cut it so much, I want to experience every single length in between.

The only time I did something similar was when I wrecked my hair w bleach and chopped it from BSL to an ear length bob, but that really a wasn't a choice, it was disgusting lol

Jovana
July 6th, 2023, 07:37 PM
I had a big chop in Jan. 2019 and I regret sooo. I was 15 and my hair was waist-to-hip size, I asked a shoulder length cut and my hair came to my ears height! Lasted 1 year growth just to fix my cut at chin length. My depression and social anxiety got worst than never, even my seizures got worse.
I think my hair was sold, that's why my cut ended like this. I will never donate hair again, I tried to help someone while getting a change and had the worst experience of my life.

longmane
July 7th, 2023, 03:44 PM
I shaved my hair few years ago and I didn't regret it. I enjoyed experimenting with it at different lengths as it grew. It looked different and exciting every month. Shaving it off cured my curiosity about short hair. I don't plan on ever cutting it shorter than WL again.

But recently I cut it back to shoulder length (straight across horizontally) to get rid of the layers and i am regretting this a lot. I hate that it shrinks to a chin length triangle shaped bob. I miss my long hair. I am now back to growing it out.

fairy_hair
July 7th, 2023, 11:32 PM
I had it cut years ago from mid thigh back to waist, then mid back, then bra strap length and then a bit shorter. It was kinda fun to see my hair healthy at those lengths like never before... but i still feel the net loss. Longer hair is interesting and I much prefer having at least classic. Now I'm finally getting length back and it's beyond waist again, but it does take a long time! Can't wait to reach thigh again... plus while my hair was shorter and more manageable I learned some easier ways to put my hair up protectively and fast, which I wish I knew before as maybe I wouldn't have cut it! Still is exciting to grow back healthier than ever. :) but yeah imo waist length or shorter is no fun if you can grow to thigh!

baanoo
July 8th, 2023, 04:30 PM
I went from waist to pixie at 18 and from waist to chin at 30. The first was a henna-gone-wrong cut and the second was a “cut off all the hair that grew during this period of my life” cut. I regret neither and like my hair at both pixie and chin! I just won’t maintain them so I’m a longhair by default.

Nox_Inber
July 10th, 2023, 10:17 AM
I went from BSL to chin when I was around 13. That's how I learned my hair is very difficult to manage at a short length due to the texture. Not straight enough to be straight but wavy enough to be awkward. I don't think I'll ever cut it that short again but at least it killed the curiosity for me. However, layers with short hair is so dang fun for some reason. So it wasn't all terrible, just not worth the high maintenance for me.