PDA

View Full Version : Hot Oil Salon vs. Home Treatment

ChristmasFnatic
July 7th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hello guys. I do hot oil at the salon 1-2 a month. Any advantages of it versus home treatment(which is cheaper)?

Should I just buy those home treatment products where you leave it on the hair for 5 mins and rinse it away? Or just keep going to the salon to take advantage of the steam/heat machine?

THANKS!

Wildcat Diva
July 7th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I just use oils all on my own, left in overnight before I shampoo the next day. I have a heating cap I got from Amazon.com that I can use for deep treatments, like a SMT.

ChristmasFnatic
July 7th, 2013, 10:02 PM
So the difference/advantage of salon is cuz of the heater? Other than that, exactly same?

And you dont buy hair-specific products(outside shampoo and conditioner)?

akilina
July 7th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I much prefer leaving coconut oil in my hair Overnight. At least once a week. I do have a use for buying deep treatment products. My favorite is joico k pak reconstructor and hydrator I sometimes use the joico k-pak h.p.k. Spray that you spray onto your hair with the deep treatment. I just put on a shower cap and leave it for an hour. Sometimes I put a towel on my head and heat it with the blow dryer.

ChristmasFnatic
July 7th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I much prefer leaving coconut oil in my hair Overnight. At least once a week. I do have a use for buying deep treatment products. My favorite is joico k pak reconstructor and hydrator I sometimes use the joico k-pak h.p.k. Spray that you spray onto your hair with the deep treatment. I just put on a shower cap and leave it for an hour. Sometimes I put a towel on my head and heat it with the blow dryer.

So I take it, no need to go on a hot oil treatment in a salon?

Also just coconut oil for cooking?

Wildcat Diva
July 7th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Well, I'm not sure what they might use at a salon.

Some people might use deep treatments from Sally's or something. I don't, I might use oils like avacado or coconut oils, soaked in. Or some cheapie conditioner mixed with warm honey and aloe gel. I have used a plastic cap plus a bandana then walked on the treadmill to get my scalp warmed up sometimes. I have researched all kinds of stuff on here, and it's worked pretty well for me, much of it. Cept the castor oil scalp massages, those caused me to shed a bit.

Wildcat Diva
July 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I use this coconut oil.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003B3OOPA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1373256898&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

You can get some coconut oil at the grocery store, yes, the cooking kind.

Firefox7275
July 8th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Only a few natural oils are proven to penetrate the hair, anything rich in lauric acid or oleic acid should (coconut, palm kernel, babassu; avocado, olive, argan). Polyunsaturated vegetable oils, any larger molecule/ non straight chain fatty acids cannot. Salon treatments are likely to be packed with silicones. Do you have a hood dryer or heat cap? If not you can simply do a longer treatment time, at least overnight. Heat can also help panthenol and hydrolysed protein adhere.
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2001/cc052n03/p00169-p00184.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2005/cc056n05/p00283-p00295.pdf

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2013, 07:40 AM
I've used the hot oil vo5 treatments and hated them. They didn't work well at all.

LadyLongLocks
July 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I just use Coconut oil. Organic solid at room temp. Spectrum brand.

Have you read the ingredients in Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Shower Works ?
Water, Cocotrimonium Chloride, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Acetamide MEA, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEI 1750, Oleth 20, Propylene Glycol, Hydrochloric Acid, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Polyquaternium 10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Vegetable Amino Acids, Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Limonene, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxycitronellal, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Eugenol, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Phytantriol, Polysorbate 20, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Biotin
http://www.drugstore.com/alberto-vo5-hot-oil-shower-works-weekly-deep-conditioning-treatment/qxp26976?catid=183385

and the Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Weekly Intense Conditioning Treatment:
Water, Cocotrimonium Chloride, Acetamide MEA, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEI 1750, Oleth 20, Propylene Glycol, Hydrochloric Acid, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Polyquaternium 10, Hydrolzyed Wheat Protein, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Vegetable Amino Acids, Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Amy Cinnamal, Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Eugenol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Phytantriol, Keratin Amino Acids, Polysorbate 20, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG Propyl Silanetriol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Niacinamide, Biotin
http://www.drugstore.com/alberto-vo5-hot-oil-weekly-intense-conditioning-treatment/qxp14826?catid=183385

They call these hot OIL treatments....?

ChristmasFnatic
July 8th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys for the GREAT infos!!!

I dont have a cap, so yeah, I guess Ill leave it overnight.

Natalia
July 8th, 2013, 11:09 PM
I don't see why anyone would pay to let someone heat and apply oil but to each their own. A shower cap and a microwaved towel can do just as well.

CousinItt
July 8th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Haha, I must be tired. I read the title as "hot oil salmon vs home treatment" and I was very confused :eek:

akilina
July 8th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I don't see why anyone would pay to let someone heat and apply oil but to each their own. A shower cap and a microwaved towel can do just as well.

I honestly agree which is funny because I am a hair dresser.
You may feel that way but seriously....some people can not even wrap their head around the idea of doing things like this at home themselves. Trust me.
Yeah, we're more hair savvy here but really, some people would rather pay someone because they like the results and like the special treatment/scalp massage from someone else, etc etc.

Natalia
July 9th, 2013, 01:04 AM
I honestly agree which is funny because I am a hair dresser.
You may feel that way but seriously....some people can not even wrap their head around the idea of doing things like this at home themselves. Trust me.
Yeah, we're more hair savvy here but really, some people would rather pay someone because they like the results and like the special treatment/scalp massage from someone else, etc etc.

Lol oh I know some of them, they baffle me no end. I still cant convince my friend that sugar + oil makes a great body scrub without the fragrance and preservatives they put in the stuff she buys for $18 :p. Her loss.