PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a (very) short shag for a year with no trims?

icallitbliss
July 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I cut practically all of my damage off (again) into what looks like a grown out pixie/shag/bob. (I also dyed my hair black cause my bleached hair was making me look sickly and clashed with my fair skin-- either way I'm growing my natural hair out again)

I showed this picture to the hairdresser as an idea of what I wanted:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/a3fb97ed-14dc-4cb7-9f53-9c2b59c6a561_zps215bc401.jpg

And this is what she gave me.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/0e793e5b-9520-4db6-a849-8827d5b84b77_zps8d45eba7.jpg

My hair feels great, so I don't care how short it is. I've had short hair all of my adult life, so it's not a big deal.

I'm just wondering how it's gonna grow out. It obviously has a lot of layers still, but it's not as extreme as a full on pixie. I plan on not trimming for an entire year (let's see if that sticks, hah). Or at the very least 6 months from now.

Here's a really bad quality picture of what it looks like from side view.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/stupidpic_zps066be595.jpg

As you can see, the sides of my hair aren't too short in comparison to the back. I still wonder if I'll end up with some sort of mullet.

Do you guys think it will grow out awkwardly? As I said before, if I can grow this with no trims for entire year, without looking awful, then I will do it!

Thanks so much for reading! :p

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Looks like its made nice progress. I don't know about the mullet effect.

PeacenQuietGal
July 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM
That is so cute! You know with a complexion like yours who's going notice how any of grows out? Really!

SerinaDaith
July 7th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I grew out my buzz cut in stages, cutting at the nape every few months and ending with an A line bob. I lament how much length I lost trying to avoid the dreaded mullet. I chopped everything to 1/4 of an inch almost three and a half years ago and now I am just flirting with APL in back and well past in front I learned my lesson though, I only s&d now and may trim every couple of years but my goal is terminal which may be a few years away yet genetics willing. I do have a thick hemline now but I do wonder how much more length I would have by now had I let well enough alone.

WilfredAllen
July 8th, 2013, 02:26 AM
looks good! I don't see mullet being a concern at all except maybe if you're growing your bangs out, and even then it's easy to braid/pin them. The only other way you could have a mullet would be if you have noticeably faster growth in the back

Mesmerise
July 8th, 2013, 04:00 AM
You look as if you have some nice waves, and I find that waves can hide a multitude of sins (like the dreaded mullet). It honestly doesn't look as if you'll get much of a mullet effect at all!! Last time I grew out a pixie (and it started shorter than yours) it didn't get very mulletty simply because the underneath hairs really wave/curl quite a bit (not so much on top though), which disguised any mullet that appeared fairly well. I think that layering doesn't matter too much as long as the hair over the ears and the hair at the back isn't too dissimilar in length.

I'm starting again from short now, so will be facing the same thing as my hair grows! I'll probably have to do some trimming at the back, but I won't bother removing all the layers as it grows.

Louise148
July 8th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I use to have a bleached pixie but the bleach started to take its toll on my fine hair, especially the longer bangs so I dyed it back to my natural colour and had a shorter pixie cut. The longest layers were only about 2 inches and it was cut close into my neck. I then grew it out naturally. I have had no cuts, I have dusted the ends myself once but it was literally the very, very ends and it hasn't been too bad at all when I look back. There were some bad hair days when it was too short to do very much with it but bobby pins and clips became my friend and now it is at shoulder length I can do a few more updos and even a french braid at the back.

As your hair is already longer than mine was when I started growing it out so I'm sure a year without trims is certainly do-able.

browneyedsusan
July 8th, 2013, 06:11 AM
My hair has been shoulder or shorter all of my adult life too! I love that dark hair with your fair skin, stunning! IMHO, you won't have a mullet with that cute haircut. My hair was VERY awkward when I grew it, and I coped by pinning the front up every day for 6 months. PM if you need ideas, I've tried them all! Your haircut looks like it will be very cooperative going a year without a trim. It's super cute! Love your texture!